Is eating pork good for you?

Posted in the Christian Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
ccrider

Owensboro, KY

#1 Dec 18, 2009
I know that eating pork, especially a lot of it, is not good for us. Doctors will tell you that.

I think God told the Hebrew people that long time ago by declaring pork (and some other things) unclean. Now I know there are different lines of thought on that issue today.....that it's okay to eat unclean foods, etc. But let's look at hogs for a moment. Hogs don't have multiple stomachs that cows do. Hogs are scavengers; cows are not. The cows' multiple stomach help get rid of most of the toxins that they eat and which could become a part of their body (which we would someday eat, perhaps). Hogs do not have multiple stomachs. The toxins go into their flesh. And guess who later ingests the toxins??? We do.

God knew what was healthy for us years ago and set guidelines to help keep us healthy by declaring some animals clean and some unclean.

Why do you think Noah took 7 of the clean animals on the Ark? Perhaps to have food to eat. He only took 2 of the unclean animals.

Anyway, that's some interesting "food for thought" :-)
IGetAKickOutOfYo u

AOL

#2 Dec 18, 2009
Why would God create unclean animals? Or animals that he considers 'abominations?'
Thinking

Wolverhampton, UK

#3 Dec 18, 2009
If only your god wasn't such an amateur, we would be immune to toxins. Most likely your god doesn't exist.

Anyway, bacon sandwiches all round at mine for breakfast tomorrow.
ccrider wrote:
I know that eating pork, especially a lot of it, is not good for us. Doctors will tell you that.
I think God told the Hebrew people that long time ago by declaring pork (and some other things) unclean. Now I know there are different lines of thought on that issue today.....that it's okay to eat unclean foods, etc. But let's look at hogs for a moment. Hogs don't have multiple stomachs that cows do. Hogs are scavengers; cows are not. The cows' multiple stomach help get rid of most of the toxins that they eat and which could become a part of their body (which we would someday eat, perhaps). Hogs do not have multiple stomachs. The toxins go into their flesh. And guess who later ingests the toxins??? We do.
God knew what was healthy for us years ago and set guidelines to help keep us healthy by declaring some animals clean and some unclean.
Why do you think Noah took 7 of the clean animals on the Ark? Perhaps to have food to eat. He only took 2 of the unclean animals.
IGetAKickOutOfYo u

AOL

#5 Dec 18, 2009
BTW ... ancient prohibition about pork: look up trichinosis.

“so tell me......”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#6 Dec 18, 2009
ccrider wrote:
Pork is a good sourse of many of the B complex vitamins particularly B1 so it can have some benefits.
The idea that pork is unclean and beef is clean is not really relevant today as pigs are usually fed with pretty good quality scraps (UK health and safety rules) so no longer scavenge as they would have done in OT times. Beef, whislt then considered clean, is now so pumped with chemicals, antibiotics and hormones that it can be a health risk as much as anything else in the food chain.
IMO the best meat source is organic but that can be too expensive for a lot of people.

From a scriptural point of view I think Jesus negated the need to worry too much about clean and unclean food laws in Matt 15.11
when he said " Not what goes into the mouth defiles a man, but what comes outs of the mouth this defiles a man".
In other words it is what we say that is either clean or unclean and not what we eat.

“so tell me......”

Location hidden

#7 Dec 18, 2009
Thinking wrote:
Anyway, bacon sandwiches all round at mine for breakfast tomorrow.
<quoted text>
Bacon and eggs at ours.
Hope you have the HP brown sauce ready.Can't have a bacon buttie without HP.
Carrot_Stick

Pompano Beach, FL

#8 Dec 18, 2009
IGetAKickOutOfYou wrote:
Why would God create unclean animals? Or animals that he considers 'abominations?'
But whatever you do, don't eat from this one tree.

Par for the course.
Thinking

Wolverhampton, UK

#9 Dec 18, 2009
But of course- it's the one thing the Houses of Parliament is good for.
angelinaUK wrote:
<quoted text>Bacon and eggs at ours.
Hope you have the HP brown sauce ready.Can't have a bacon buttie without HP.

“so tell me......”

Location hidden

#10 Dec 18, 2009
Thinking wrote:
But of course- it's the one thing the Houses of Parliament is good for.
<quoted text>
Aren't you forgetting the anti fig tree withering bill that is being proposed?
Thinking

Wolverhampton, UK

#12 Dec 18, 2009
I think you're getting if confused with bob's bill- god hates figs?
angelinaUK wrote:
<quoted text>Aren't you forgetting the anti fig tree withering bill that is being proposed?

“so tell me......”

Location hidden

#13 Dec 18, 2009
Thinking wrote:
I think you're getting if confused with bob's bill- god hates figs?
<quoted text>
Ainsworth? That'll work then.....not!!
ccrider

Owensboro, KY

#14 Dec 18, 2009
Christians have different opinions on this "eating" subject. I thought that we could eat whatever we want. However, now I'm beginning to re-think that position. Right now I'm not exactly sure.

However, if you talk to someone who's had a heart attack, most likely the doc has told them to stay away from pork and too much red meat and fried foods. This may actually tie in to what God was trying to protect his people from.
Candy

Johannesburg, South Africa

#18 Dec 21, 2009
angelinaUK wrote:
<quoted text>Pork is a good sourse of many of the B complex vitamins particularly B1 so it can have some benefits.
The idea that pork is unclean and beef is clean is not really relevant today as pigs are usually fed with pretty good quality scraps (UK health and safety rules) so no longer scavenge as they would have done in OT times. Beef, whislt then considered clean, is now so pumped with chemicals, antibiotics and hormones that it can be a health risk as much as anything else in the food chain.
IMO the best meat source is organic but that can be too expensive for a lot of people.
From a scriptural point of view I think Jesus negated the need to worry too much about clean and unclean food laws in Matt 15.11
when he said " Not what goes into the mouth defiles a man, but what comes outs of the mouth this defiles a man".
In other words it is what we say that is either clean or unclean and not what we eat.
Why not stop eating meat altogether? But offcourse I forgot that the Bible justifies that mass slaugter of animals for our convenience is ok. They were created by your creator as commodities for us, is that not right?
Thinking

Wolverhampton, UK

#19 Dec 21, 2009
Your god should've made better hearts, then.
ccrider wrote:
Christians have different opinions on this "eating" subject. I thought that we could eat whatever we want. However, now I'm beginning to re-think that position. Right now I'm not exactly sure.
However, if you talk to someone who's had a heart attack, most likely the doc has told them to stay away from pork and too much red meat and fried foods. This may actually tie in to what God was trying to protect his people from.
ccrider

Owensboro, KY

#20 Dec 21, 2009
Thinking wrote: <<Your god should've made better hearts, then. >>

He is the only TRUE GOD. There are many false gods.
Thinking

Wolverhampton, UK

#21 Dec 21, 2009
Unlikely- and CAPITALISATION doesn't make it any more likely.
ccrider wrote:
Thinking wrote: <<Your god should've made better hearts, then. >>
He is the only TRUE GOD. There are many false gods.

“so tell me......”

Location hidden

#22 Dec 21, 2009
Thinking wrote:
Your god should've made better hearts, then.
<quoted text>
The human heart is designed to last a lifetime.

“so tell me......”

Location hidden

#23 Dec 21, 2009
ccrider wrote:
As someone who has a family history of heart troubles and having slightly raised cholstrol levels myslef I can say that it is not only diet that is often at risk but also lack of exercise.
I think as well that pork is classed as a white meat and has less cholestrol content than beef. The problem arises with bad cooking practices. My MIL smothers her pork chops in fat to cook them so you end up with a heart attack on a plate whereas I prefer mine wrapped in foil with just a light coating of garlic pepper then baked in the oven so it cooks in its own juices. Much healthier.
Thinking

Wolverhampton, UK

#24 Dec 21, 2009
The heart wasn't designed, but an elegant quip nonetheless.
angelinaUK wrote:
<quoted text>The human heart is designed to last a lifetime.

“so tell me......”

Location hidden

#25 Dec 21, 2009
Thinking wrote:
The heart wasn't designed, but an elegant quip nonetheless.
<quoted text>
We'll agree to differ on the hearts beginnings shall we?

:-)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Longinus Chronicles - Fighting for Christ 16 min Blacklagoon 53
Early Christianity 39 min russiav 1,817
The False Teachings of the Hebrew Israelites, s... (Jan '14) 1 hr ROG 723
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) 3 hr Hillary Killed Se... 84,694
Barnsweb's own NT calls him "ignorant" "untaugh... 7 hr The real Christia... 111
World War Two Veteran tells a story 10 hr Mark Rosenkranz 1
Faith during hard times 14 hr littlelambWasPAED... 26
More from around the web