Anderson, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2013

Judged:

Which rules do you think are needed for religion or society today?

This has come up before on other forums and even in discussions on some programs.

Do Christians need to adjust the rules of the ten commandments and focus on some other rules in the bible? If so, which rules? If not, how are all the commandment relevant in today's society?
no-one-special

Mérida, Mexico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2013

Judged:

Cookie_Parker wrote:

If not, how are all the commandment relevant in today's society?

If you don't respect your parents, elders, or guardians you'll probably grow up to be an adult who rebels against all authority and end up in jail.

If you murder someone, you're probably going to a court house and end up in jail

If you steal from someone, you're probably going to court house and end up in jail

You cheat on your husband or wife and you'll probably end up in a court house and pay some kind of penalty or end up in jail.

You give a false testimony against your neighbor in the court of law, you'll probably end up in jail.

You keep coveting and obsessing over what other people have and you'll probably end up doing something illegal to attain what others have which will again land you in a court house and probably in jail.

If person claims to be a follower of Jesus' reformed version of Judaism and bow down and worship idols carved by the hand so of men to represent God, they'll have to deal with God punishing them by using other nations to war with them and destroy them. He did this a couple of times with Israelites when they worshiped idols in OT times. Also, what do you think happened to the Roman and Holy Roman empire? Their look-like-church and it's false doctrines ultimately led to their demise.

ect,ect,ect....

Ant

Palo Alto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2013

Judged:

no-one-special wrote:
<quoted text>
If you don't respect your parents, elders, or guardians you'll probably grow up to be an adult who rebels against all authority and end up in jail.
If you murder someone, you're probably going to a court house and end up in jail
If you steal from someone, you're probably going to court house and end up in jail
You cheat on your husband or wife and you'll probably end up in a court house and pay some kind of penalty or end up in jail.
You give a false testimony against your neighbor in the court of law, you'll probably end up in jail.
You keep coveting and obsessing over what other people have and you'll probably end up doing something illegal to attain what others have which will again land you in a court house and probably in jail.
If person claims to be a follower of Jesus' reformed version of Judaism and bow down and worship idols carved by the hand so of men to represent God, they'll have to deal with God punishing them by using other nations to war with them and destroy them. He did this a couple of times with Israelites when they worshiped idols in OT times. Also, what do you think happened to the Roman and Holy Roman empire? Their look-like-church and it's false doctrines ultimately led to their demise.
ect,ect,ect....
Very well put
little lamb

Melbourne, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2013

Judged:

Yes in the new covenant Jesus mediates he promises to write Gods law on our hearts and minds..

because Jesus said they are all summed up in loving God with your whole heart and soul...

and loving your fellow man as yourself.

For to break one of these commandments shows lack of LOVE.
Little Joe

Greenwood, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2013

Judged:

Cookie_Parker wrote:
Which rules do you think are needed for religion or society today?
This has come up before on other forums and even in discussions on some programs.
Do Christians need to adjust the rules of the ten commandments and focus on some other rules in the bible? If so, which rules? If not, how are all the commandment relevant in today's society?
Stupid is what stupid says, Gods words stay the same no matter what you or anyone else think or say!

Since: Sep 08

Anderson, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2013

Judged:

no-one-special wrote:
<quoted text>
ect,ect,ect....
That's pretty cool...and true.

Anderson, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2013

Judged:

Little Joe wrote:
<quoted text>Stupid is what stupid says, Gods words stay the same no matter what you or anyone else think or say!
Oh, I know. But for today, in our society where so many of those who profess to love God yet hate blacks, Muslims, Catholics, women, gays,etc., are there new laws and rules from the Bible we maybe should be emphasizing more? HOw about Love thy neighbor as thyself instead of thou shalt have no other gods before me?>

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2013

Judged:

What gets me and its very true is that while those who claim themselves to be a Christian or other and they set themselves above others as of judging,rebuking and so forth are most likely in violation of the ten commandments as well as disobedient to God's word just as much if not more so than those they rebuke and then judge and condemn.
Cisco Kid

Tracy, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2013

Cookie_Parker wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, I know. But for today, in our society where so many of those who profess to love God yet hate blacks, Muslims, Catholics, women, gays,etc., are there new laws and rules from the Bible we maybe should be emphasizing more?

HOw about Love thy neighbor as thyself instead of thou shalt have no other gods before me?>
Actually, the first commandment ties in with loving your neighbor.
Can't really have one without the other.

The first commandment requires us to nourish and protect our faith with prudence and vigilance, and to reject everything that is opposed to it.

The first commandment is also concerned with sins against hope, namely, despair and presumption:

By despair, man ceases to hope for his personal salvation from God, for help in attaining it or for the forgiveness of his sins. Despair is contrary to God's goodness, to his justice—for the Lord is faithful to his promises—and to his mercy.

Faith in God's love encompasses the call and the obligation to respond with sincere love to divine charity.
The first commandment enjoins us to love God above everything and all creatures for him and because of him.
(Deut 6:4-5)

Charity is the theological virtue by which we love God above all things for his own sake, and our neighbor as ourselves for the love of God.

The duty of making oneself a neighbor to others and actively serving them becomes even more urgent when it involves the disadvantaged, in whatever area this may be.
"As you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me."
(Mt 25:40)
Cisco Kid

Tracy, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2013

Judged:

Are the ten commandments out of date?

No.
The Ten Commandments were written without an expiration date.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2013

"Are the ten commandments out of date?"

Galatians 5:14 (NKJV)
14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this: "You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
no-one-special

Mérida, Mexico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2013

dollarsbill wrote:
"Are the ten commandments out of date?"
Galatians 5:14 (NKJV)
14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this: "You shall love your neighbor as yourself.

---1 JOHN 5:2-3 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and keep His commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome.

Anderson, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2013

Gary Coaldigger wrote:
What gets me and its very true is that while those who claim themselves to be a Christian or other and they set themselves above others as of judging,rebuking and so forth are most likely in violation of the ten commandments as well as disobedient to God's word just as much if not more so than those they rebuke and then judge and condemn.
Indeed. Janeebee stated that everyone who declares themselves Christians ARE Christians..and she's right. She just said some of them follow Christ's teachings and others don't. She's really nailed it I think.

Anderson, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2013

Cisco Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, the first commandment ties in with loving your neighbor.
Can't really have one without the other.
The first commandment requires us to nourish and protect our faith with prudence and vigilance, and to reject everything that is opposed to it.
The first commandment is also concerned with sins against hope, namely, despair and presumption:
By despair, man ceases to hope for his personal salvation from God, for help in attaining it or for the forgiveness of his sins. Despair is contrary to God's goodness, to his justice—for the Lord is faithful to his promises—and to his mercy.
Faith in God's love encompasses the call and the obligation to respond with sincere love to divine charity.
The first commandment enjoins us to love God above everything and all creatures for him and because of him.
(Deut 6:4-5)
Charity is the theological virtue by which we love God above all things for his own sake, and our neighbor as ourselves for the love of God.
The duty of making oneself a neighbor to others and actively serving them becomes even more urgent when it involves the disadvantaged, in whatever area this may be.
"As you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me."
(Mt 25:40)
Maybe we need to remove the first commandment and insert this great piece of writing you have done. I like this explanation...and maybe it should be at the forefront of every Christian sect in this nation.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2013

Cookie_Parker wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed. Janeebee stated that everyone who declares themselves Christians ARE Christians..and she's right. She just said some of them follow Christ's teachings and others don't. She's really nailed it I think.
But of course, Bible haters agree against the Bible.
Cisco Kid

Tracy, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2013

Cookie_Parker wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe we need to remove the first commandment and insert this great piece of writing you have done. I like this explanation...and maybe it should be at the forefront of every Christian sect in this nation.
Sounds good. It's worked for The Catholic Church for centuries.
But then, we are a Jesus following church.

"One of the scribes, when he came forward and heard them disputing and saw how well he had answered them, asked him,“Which is the first of all the commandments?”

Jesus replied,“The first is this:
‘Hear, O Israel! The Lord our God is Lord alone!
You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.
The second is this:
‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’
There is no other commandment greater than these.”

Mark 12:28-31

Anderson, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

Cisco Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds good. It's worked for The Catholic Church for centuries.
But then, we are a Jesus following church.
"One of the scribes, when he came forward and heard them disputing and saw how well he had answered them, asked him,“Which is the first of all the commandments?”
Jesus replied,“The first is this:
‘Hear, O Israel! The Lord our God is Lord alone!
You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.
The second is this:
‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’
There is no other commandment greater than these.”
Mark 12:28-31
So those two should cover the 10, huh?

“Dark Lord of All”

Since: Jun 13

The Time Vortex

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

The 10 Commandments can definitely use some additions.

Thou shall not talk loudly in cinemas.

Thou shall not listen to Justin Bieber, The Wanted, or One Direction.

Thou shall honor thy children and raise them responsibly.

Thou shall refill empty ice cube trays.

Those are just a few of my suggestions.
Cisco Kid

Tracy, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

Stormageddon wrote:
The 10 Commandments can definitely use some additions.
Thou shall not talk loudly in cinemas.
Thou shall not listen to Justin Bieber, The Wanted, or One Direction.
Thou shall honor thy children and raise them responsibly.
Thou shall refill empty ice cube trays.
Those are just a few of my suggestions.
Never drink somebody's last beer.
And don't put the milk jug back in the fridge with just a coupla drops left.
Ya ain't foolin nobody.
Cisco Kid

Tracy, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

Cookie_Parker wrote:
<quoted text>
So those two should cover the 10, huh?
Jesus summed things up pretty well, didn't he?

After all, the first three of the Ten Commandments regard your relationship with God.
The last seven regard your relationship with your fellow human.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

22 Users are viewing the Christian Forum right now

Search the Christian Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
A Message from Nettie 11 min loveismygoal 854
Cookie's Place (Oct '13) 29 min Sundog512 10,529
Is the Bible always literally true or correct? 1 hr Barnsweb 1,336
What do you think about Dollarsbill? 2 hr suomynona 4
jebus crise the christian 2 hr suomynona 5
About Dollarsbill .... 5 hr joe 7 52
Religion and the New World Order (Feb '12) 5 hr Anita in Tongzhou 11
WHAT GOD SAID to ME TODAY 7 hr stupid is not a disease 236
•••