Posted in the Christian Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“Just another face”

Since: May 08

in the cloud

#2 Apr 13, 2011
Did you get all red faced and sink into your seat, or go hands and palms up and shrug?

“Naturalism - Nature is Enough”

Since: Nov 07

UK

#4 Apr 13, 2011
Clueless wrote:
I attended sunday am church services and a lady got up and sang everybody a song,she was a very good singer and obviously moved the whole congregation,but when she was done she walked off the stage returned to her seat and the sermon began. I think It was rude especially when everybody turned and stared at me for clapping..
You applauded someone in church? You can't do that. Church is NOT about enjoying yourself. It's about demonstrating how devout you are to everyone around you and showing off any new clothes / cars / <insert items of your choice here> you have purchased.
Idi O Syncrasy

Farmington, CA

#5 Apr 13, 2011
Roland_Deschain wrote:
<quoted text>
You applauded someone in church? You can't do that. Church is NOT about enjoying yourself. It's about demonstrating how devout you are to everyone around you and showing off any new clothes / cars / <insert items of your choice here> you have purchased.
That's some funny stuff, Roland.
But sadly true in some places I've visited over the years.

Clapping is not uncommon at the church I attend.

When the choir has done a particularly good job the congregation will applaud at the end of Mass after the final invocation.

When a couple rededicates their marriage after 30/50 years or so, the congregation will applaud them after the communal blessing.

When an adult or group of children publicly dedicate themselves to baptism or conversion, the congregation will applaud.

God loves us and wants us to be happy, applause is one way of publicly demnonstating that blessing of love and happiness.

Sounds like your bad-experience came from the right pew but wrong church.
Don't quit your search.

“Invisible Pink Unicorn”

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#6 Apr 13, 2011
I bet you'd be surprised at how many in church got the clap.

“Life Force One”

Since: Mar 09

The Spiritual Universe

#8 Apr 13, 2011
Roland_Deschain wrote:
<quoted text>
And the after church hang-a-rounds is where everyone gets to brag how successful and holy they are, how much they and their kids are way better than everyone else, slander everyone else and belittle them for not being as pure and holy as they claim to be, back-stab anyone who didn't show up, and generally act lie a complete self righteous hypocritical jackass.
Grin Reaper

Alpharetta, GA

#9 Apr 13, 2011
I'm not sure, but my guess would be;

Clapping is happy stuff,(that's no-no stuff in church)

and it easily becomes a contagious practice.

It seems to go against the solemn meme-grain,

which the ambience, costuming, ritual, subject matter,

etc, that is integral to most religions, forbids.

How can you clap amidst Doom-and-Gloom preachiness,

with religion's endless naggings about everybody being

born to sin, sin, sin, and sin some more ..., anyway!

Instead of a happy, cheerful, dynamically-positive god,

the churches shove a solemnly sad, weeping,

bleeding, wretch of a god hanging on a stick

in your face as the role model to follow (YUK!).

"CLAP???" Shit NO! It makes you want to cry.(lol)

I nice deep-breathing walk with Mother Nature

on Sunday would be a much better spiritual delight.

Mother Nature welcomes and soaks-up all your applause!

Grin [:)

UK

#10 Apr 14, 2011
Idi O Syncrasy wrote:
<quoted text>
That's some funny stuff, Roland.
Thank You.
Idi O Syncrasy wrote:
<quoted text>
But sadly true in some places I've visited over the years.
Clapping is not uncommon at the church I attend.
When the choir has done a particularly good job the congregation will applaud at the end of Mass after the final invocation.
When a couple rededicates their marriage after 30/50 years or so, the congregation will applaud them after the communal blessing.
When an adult or group of children publicly dedicate themselves to baptism or conversion, the congregation will applaud.
I think the integrity of any organisation depends on the agenda(s) of the people running it, how they respond to any input from their 'membership' and the type of people within the organisation.
Idi O Syncrasy wrote:
<quoted text>
God loves us and wants us to be happy, applause is one way of publicly demnonstating that blessing of love and happiness.
Personally I find spontaneous outbreaks of clapping to be highly irritating under any circumstances. One person starts and the rest follow like sheep. I think it's especially jaw clenching / teeth grinding when people start clapping along to a song and /or hand jiving.
Idi O Syncrasy wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like your bad-experience came from the right pew but wrong church.
The only times I have ever attended church was for one of two reasons.

1) Politeness (weddings & funerals).
2) As a child I went to one or two weddings with my parents. In this case they went because they wanted to be polite to their hosts.

Since I have never subscribed to any religious belief I found the whole 'worship' thing meaningless. I still do. The last time I visited a church was about fourty years ago. I very much doubt I will ever visit another one.
Idi O Syncrasy wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't quit your search.
I'm not 'searching' for anything. I have everything I require.

“Jesus WEEPS”

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#11 Apr 14, 2011
Don't know about "Why don't people clap in church", but they sure the hell do Fart alot.
Smells like a cesspool.
Uncle John's *Cheese Factory*, Billy Bob's *Sweaty Socks*, Mister Cruz's *Enchilada Stand*....
Wayne's/Farrah's/What's *Doo-Doo Stained Underwear*.
Have a nice day.
Grin Reaper

Alpharetta, GA

#12 Apr 14, 2011
FREAKS wrote:
Don't know about "Why don't people clap in church", but they sure the hell do Fart alot.
Smells like a cesspool.
Uncle John's *Cheese Factory*, Billy Bob's *Sweaty Socks*, Mister Cruz's *Enchilada Stand*....
Wayne's/Farrah's/What's *Doo-Doo Stained Underwear*.
Have a nice day.
Hi Freaks,(lol)

You may have uncovered the deep and dark church secret
as to why their congregations are spoken of as sitting in "PEWS!"

Confucius say, "He who farteth in church sitteth in his own pew!"

Grin Reaper [:o)
Idi O Syncrasy

Farmington, CA

#13 Apr 14, 2011
Roland_Deschain wrote:
<quoted text>
Personally I find spontaneous outbreaks of clapping to be highly irritating under any circumstances. One person starts and the rest follow like sheep. I think it's especially jaw clenching / teeth grinding when people start clapping along to a song and /or hand jiving.
So I take it you're not one of the "Kumbaya Crowd"?
ITB

Lansdale, PA

#14 Apr 14, 2011
I agree with Idi O Syncrasy. We clap in church all the time. At the end of mass, we also clap for the choir, or the band, or whoever else supplied the music. We clap after something special occurs, or if there was good news announced.

But, my view of what happens after the service, unlike Seen's view, is that everyone runs out to their cars and practically runs you over trying to get out of the parking lot first. That is if they didn't slip out before mass was over. No one's hanging around patting themselves on the back for being "holy", especially when the weather is nice. It's pretty funny, but sad at the same time.

“Life Force One”

Since: Mar 09

The Spiritual Universe

#15 Apr 14, 2011
ITB wrote:
I agree with Idi O Syncrasy. We clap in church all the time. At the end of mass, we also clap for the choir, or the band, or whoever else supplied the music. We clap after something special occurs, or if there was good news announced.
But, my view of what happens after the service, unlike Seen's view, is that everyone runs out to their cars and practically runs you over trying to get out of the parking lot first. That is if they didn't slip out before mass was over. No one's hanging around patting themselves on the back for being "holy", especially when the weather is nice. It's pretty funny, but sad at the same time.
All churches are different. And the one I went to probably would have done the same, except the pastor always coerced people into staying afterwords so he could criticize them for one thing or another. And right after he left is when all the ugliness started. One time my mother was in a panic because she was going to be late, so I asked her what the big deal was, and why don't we just stay home? And her eyes bulged out and she blurted out "But then everyone will talk about me and say bad things about me if I'm not there to defend myself!" I was taken aback at THAT being her main reason for going to church. But I imagine all the others felt the same way.
Idi O Syncrasy

Farmington, CA

#16 Apr 14, 2011
ITB wrote:
I dunno, maybe it's a Catholic thing, clapping, joy, happiness and a bit of laughter during Mass.
But I gotta tell you, a laugh is what I got from the perfect description of parking lot escape pandemonium. We're all humans and usually obsessed with being "so busy".
In good summer weather or during football or baseball season it's even funnier. I've heard the priest announce at more than a few services that the homily will be short because of the game.
One nun friend of mine has updated me with scores as we walked into church. She just lives across the street from the church and I have to drive about 8 miles.
Very thoughtful of her, we're both fans of the same teams. 8D

UK

#17 Apr 14, 2011
Idi O Syncrasy wrote:
<quoted text>
So I take it you're not one of the "Kumbaya Crowd"?
Well I don't dislike the song, especially the Seekers version. Judith Durham's voice is superb.

&fe ature=related

However, I don't consider myself to be part of any crowd.
ITB

Lansdale, PA

#18 Apr 14, 2011
Seen Is Awesome wrote:
<quoted text>
All churches are different. And the one I went to probably would have done the same, except the pastor always coerced people into staying afterwords so he could criticize them for one thing or another. And right after he left is when all the ugliness started. One time my mother was in a panic because she was going to be late, so I asked her what the big deal was, and why don't we just stay home? And her eyes bulged out and she blurted out "But then everyone will talk about me and say bad things about me if I'm not there to defend myself!" I was taken aback at THAT being her main reason for going to church. But I imagine all the others felt the same way.
I belong to a really large parish, 3700 families, so it's a very big chuch. No one knows if you're there or not...LOL I'm sure there are cliques at my parish, but, I'm not part of them or even on their radar. I can do without people like that.
Grin Reaper

Alpharetta, GA

#19 Apr 14, 2011
ITB wrote:
<quoted text>
I belong to a really large parish, 3700 families, so it's a very big chuch. No one knows if you're there or not...LOL I'm sure there are cliques at my parish, but, I'm not part of them or even on their radar. I can do without people like that.
Hi ITB (meaning, "I Took (the) Bait" ... I assume.)

So I gather from your post that you avoid that church ..., eh?

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#20 Apr 14, 2011
ITB wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow! Our church usually has attendance of around 80 on Sunday mornings.
ITB

Lansdale, PA

#21 Apr 14, 2011
Grin Reaper wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi ITB (meaning, "I Took (the) Bait" ... I assume.)
So I gather from your post that you avoid that church ..., eh?
Why would you take it from my post that I avoid that church? Because I wrote it was an extensive parish with a large church to accommodate all the parishioners? Or because I said they don't know if you're there or not? Or that I don't take to cliques or people who gravitate to cliques?

I don't attend church so that people know I'm there, or because I'm afraid someone will talk about me if I'm not there. No one knows if I'm there or not, so I go for me, not for someone else's benefit. There are so many people, it doesn't work like Seen's mom's church. That was the gist of the post I was responding to.

Come on, I'm sure with your intelligence you can follow the line of thought between Seen's post and my responding post without "gathering" incorrectly.
ITB

Lansdale, PA

#22 Apr 14, 2011
H_A_T wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow! Our church usually has attendance of around 80 on Sunday mornings.
We have two Saturday Vigil masses and another six masses on Sunday and every one has way more then 80 people, except maybe the 6:30AM mass, I've never been to that one, so I don't really know. Like I said, it's a large parish and a big church, even though there are 4 other Catholic churches less then five miles from this one. There are a lot of worship centers, of all denominations and non-denominational, in the area.

We joke that we have a bank, a drug store and a church on just about every corner. At least the churches/worship centers are nicer to look at then the banks and drug stores.
Grin Reaper

Alpharetta, GA

#23 Apr 15, 2011
ITB wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would you take it from my post that I avoid that church? Because I wrote it was an extensive parish with a large church to accommodate all the parishioners? Or because I said they don't know if you're there or not? Or that I don't take to cliques or people who gravitate to cliques?
I don't attend church so that people know I'm there, or because I'm afraid someone will talk about me if I'm not there. No one knows if I'm there or not, so I go for me, not for someone else's benefit. There are so many people, it doesn't work like Seen's mom's church. That was the gist of the post I was responding to.
Come on, I'm sure with your intelligence you can follow the line of thought between Seen's post and my responding post without "gathering" incorrectly.
I must beg your forgiveness, Dear ITB;

When I posted that I was as drunk as Noah after he fell off the boat.

Begging your devout indulgence, I'll attempt at recollective clarity.

From your church attendance description, I guess what impacted me,

via your post, was the vision of some cold and staid, hugely-crowded,

agately-pewed, 100-ft domed, incensed, decorum-elaboratis cathedral.

I visualized your marbled da Vinci-like savior hangin amid such chill;

and ..., even his nose was a-drip in cold-snot in that cold mausoleum.

You said you go to mass, pewed-in like a sardine for an hour or two.

Then, after the dance of the mass, ITB shadowy-flees away under a hood.

I felt like you described very much what one does when going to a movie.

Hundreds of zombies sit and stare at the screen, nobody knows the head

blocking view in front, nor the head, whom they block from view in back.

Movie ends ..., zombies depart enmass, until new movie demands a repeat.

Wouldn't you better spend your Sunny Sundays walking with Mother Nature?

I know I enjoy that much more and, especially, spiritually so;

Now, I must say, I almost submitted my soul to the Catholic priesthood.

That's right!... the Grin Reaper almost was a man-of-the-hood.(lol)

Well, ITB ..., I would guess that just about sums this!(smile)

Grin +[:<)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 12 min janeebee 4,442
Would Jesus have attended a Gay Wedding? 16 min Truth Doctor 2,086
Is Paul a false Apostle? (Sep '13) 25 min Son of Man 3,580
Any comments Christians on this picture? 48 min Eno Otu 3
ISIS executes 262 56 min dkskd001 18
Read Mathew 24:37 - Has Jesus been born in Japan? 1 hr dkskd001 2
Mathew 5:17 Why do some Christians not preach... 1 hr dkskd001 2
Christians: Is this really Christian theology? 2 hr BESIDES SHEEP IS DOG 133
News Republic of Ireland votes for equal marriage 7 hr Rosa_Winkel 78
More from around the web