“Jesus=only way into Heaven”

Since: Nov 12

saved by grace through faith

#22 Feb 9, 2013
Cisco Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
Is there more of God than what's in The Bible?
Can God be contained inside the covers of a book?
Does God stretch beyond "In the begining" and "The one who gives this testimony says,“Yes, I am coming soon.” Amen! Come, Lord Jesus! The grace of the Lord Jesus be with all."
This is an important question for anybody to ponder.
I'm sure everyone is familiar with this saying:

BIBLE
B- basic
I- instructions
B- before
L- leaving
E- earth
Cisco Kid

Modesto, CA

#23 Feb 9, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
BIBLE
B- basic
I- instructions
B- before
L- leaving
E- earth
Sounds quaint, but what about while you're still here?

"And the king will say to them in reply,‘Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me."

#24 Feb 9, 2013
Cisco Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds quaint, but what about while you're still here?
"And the king will say to them in reply,‘Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me."
What's your point? A fundamentalist Christian isn't going to openly brag about all of our good deeds. The scriptures are clear against doing that. We care more about eternal rewards than earthly "pats on the back".
Big Al

Hibbing, MN

#25 Feb 10, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
I consider it a great honor to be a fundamentalist Christian.......which is someone who holds to the fundamentals of the Christian faith. My Independent Fundamental Bible Believing beliefs are in line with the original apostles' teachings and early church model.
Who would want to be a worthless worldly "Christian"? There is something wrong with a Christian if people can't tell the difference between you and the world. The Holy Bible is clear that we are to be separate.(2 Corinthians 6:17)
But the most important thing is:
Do you know that Heaven will be your home if you were to die right now?
http://www.swordofthelord.com/salvation.php
What makes you think you know the “fundamentals of the Christian faith” any better than anyone else?

The “fundamentals of the Christian faith” have been disputed since Peter and Paul argued about the necessity of circumcision. The first Christians were called Ebionites (the poor ones) and followed Jewish law and rites until they were deemed heretical Judaizers by the Gentile Christians who took over in the latter half of the first century. Then there were the Gnostics, the Montanists, the Novatians, the Donatists and the Arians with a wide range of beliefs as to what the “fundamentals of the Christian faith” were.

Your “fundamentals of the Christian faith” came about in 325CE when the Roman Emperor Constantine declared the pronouncements of the First Council of Nicaea to be the only lawful “fundamentals of the Christian faith”. In 385CE Priscillian bishop of Ávila was the first person to be executed for heresy. His “fundamentals of the Christian faith” did not agree with those of the emperor and the First Council of Nicaea.

"Confidence and superiority: It's the usual fundamentalist stuff: I've got the truth, and you haven't." - Jeanette Winterson

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#26 Feb 10, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
What's your point? A fundamentalist Christian isn't going to openly brag about all of our good deeds. The scriptures are clear against doing that. We care more about eternal rewards than earthly "pats on the back".
You cannot use that argument. It is null and void. You call everyone who doesn't see things your way a 'fake Christian' for weeks on end but when evidence is provided to the contrary you call it bragging.'..... all our good deeds'? Stuff it.

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#27 Feb 10, 2013
Tell 'em Al!

(Stands and applauds!)

“Reality bites”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#28 Feb 10, 2013
Lordofnuts wrote:
Top Ten Signs You're a Fundamentalist Christian
10 - You vigorously deny the existence of thousands of gods claimed by other religions, but feel outraged when someone denies the existence of yours.
9 - You feel insulted and "dehumanised" when scientists say that people evolved from other life forms, but you have no problem with the Biblical claim that we were created from dirt.
8 - You laugh at polytheists, but you have no problem believing in a Trinity of Gods.
7 - Your face turns purple when you hear of the "atrocities" attributed to Allah, but you don't even flinch when hearing about how God/Jehovah slaughtered all the babies of Egypt in "Exodus" and ordered the elimination of entire ethnic groups in "Joshua" including women, children, and trees!
6 - You laugh at Hindu beliefs that deify humans, and Greek claims about gods sleeping with women, but you have no problem believing that the Holy Spirit impregnated Mary, who then gave birth to a man-god who committed suicide while praying to himself for help, came back to life and then ascended into the sky.
5 - You are willing to spend your life looking for little loopholes in the scientifically established age of Earth (few billion years), but you find nothing wrong with believing dates recorded by Bronze Age tribesmen sitting in their tents and guessing that Earth is a few generations old.
4 - You believe that the entire population of this planet with the exception of those who share your beliefs -- though excluding those in all rival sects - will spend Eternity in an infinite Hell of Suffering. And yet consider your religion the most "tolerant" and "loving."
3 - While modern science, history, geology, biology, and physics have failed to convince you otherwise, some idiot rolling around on the floor speaking in "tongues" may be all the evidence you need to "prove" Christianity.
2 - You define 0.01% as a "high success rate" when it comes to answered prayers. You consider that to be evidence that prayer works. And you think that the remaining 99.99% FAILURE was simply the will of God.
1 - You actually know a lot less than many atheists and agnostics do about the Bible, Christianity, and church history - but still call yourself a Christian.
Can I get an Amen?
Ramen

“Reality bites”

Location hidden

#29 Feb 10, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
BIBLE
B- basic
I- instructions
B- before
L- leaving
E- earth
Cool beans, you read the book, feel free to exist the planet at your earliest convenience.

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#30 Feb 10, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't appear that you could get too many "good deeds" done while being on Topix, 24/7.
Big Al

Hibbing, MN

#31 Feb 10, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
BIBLE
B- basic
I- instructions
B- before
L- leaving
E- earth
“Books, whether Bibles or Korans, carry no evidence of being the work of any other power than man. It is only that which man cannot do that carries the evidence of being the work of a superior power.…The Jews say, that their word of God was given by God to Moses, face to face; the Christians say, that their word of God came by divine inspiration: and the Turks say, that their word of God (the Koran) was brought by an angel from Heaven. Each of those churches accuse the other of unbelief; and for my own part, I disbelieve them all.”- Thomas Paine

“Reality bites”

Location hidden

#32 Feb 10, 2013
Big Al wrote:
<quoted text>
“Books, whether Bibles or Korans, carry no evidence of being the work of any other power than man. It is only that which man cannot do that carries the evidence of being the work of a superior power.…The Jews say, that their word of God was given by God to Moses, face to face; the Christians say, that their word of God came by divine inspiration: and the Turks say, that their word of God (the Koran) was brought by an angel from Heaven. Each of those churches accuse the other of unbelief; and for my own part, I disbelieve them all.”- Thomas Paine
"Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them the rest of us could not succeed."
Mark Twain
Job

Santa Clara, CA

#33 Feb 10, 2013
Lordofnuts wrote:
<quoted text> Okay don't even know were to start with this? I'm not familiar with your posts but I think this is a serious reply??? So you think your a fudie but this list isn't representative of your beliefs? There is no edit button but I could improve on it some.
Lets just take it from the top. Do you deny all these gods: Zeus, Poseidon, Hades, Hera, Demeter, Hestia, Athena, Apollo, Artemis, Aphrodite, Hermes, Dionysus, Hephaestus, Ares, Jupiter, Neptune, Pluto (or Dis), Juno, Ceres, Vesta, Minerva, Apollo, Diana, Venus, Mercury, Bacchus, Vulcan, Mars, Odin, Frigg, Thor, Freyr, Freyja, Baldr, Loki, Tyr, Heimdall, Njord, Ra, Amun, Osiris, Isis, Nephthys, Set, Horus, Anubis, Bast, Hathor, Thoth, Ma'at and the rest of the 2800 plus gods that I don't want to type out here?
Yes, I deny them all. That may depend on what you mean by deny though. I believe that there is only one true and living God. I don't deny that some of these gods you mentioned may have been a product of legend evolving from a prominent human, or a fallen angel in guise of a given god, etc. There's also the possibility (probability in some cases) that a remote tribal God is actually Jesus Christ (See Don Richardson's "Eternity In Their Hearts" for further reference), but probably none of the one's you mentioned.

Basically, I think many gods were nothing more than statues, wooden artifacts, etc.

But that brings up an interesting question (albeit the same one aimed at another person), do 'you' deny these gods?
Job

Santa Clara, CA

#34 Feb 10, 2013
Big Al wrote:
<quoted text>
Then what would be the difference between Paine's opinion, and those of a Christian, Jew, Or Muslim? Wasn't 'he' making an accusation as well?
Punisher

Massapequa, NY

#35 Feb 10, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
No instead you're going to wear your faith on your sleeves and worship in trashy public displays. Who has time for good deeds when you're all dressing up and playing the part of devotee...?

American Xtianity and simple humility are the antithesis of each other. Public displays of ones faith abound, bumper-stickers, jewelry, t-shirts, constant remarks to remind others of their faith, etc...

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#36 Feb 10, 2013
Cisco Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
Brilliant, huh?
Just after George's balls and leg cramps got worse his heart blew up.
Nothing like alcohol and opiates to screw somebody up.
He burnt his brain up and they burnt up his body.
One can only guess where his soul resides now.
Better he than me.......
Yep. he's in BIG trouble.

Location hidden

#37 Feb 10, 2013
Punisher wrote:
<quoted text>No instead you're going to wear your faith on your sleeves and worship in trashy public displays. Who has time for good deeds when you're all dressing up and playing the part of devotee...?
American Xtianity and simple humility are the antithesis of each other. Public displays of ones faith abound, bumper-stickers, jewelry, t-shirts, constant remarks to remind others of their faith, etc...
you have us mixed up with Evangelicals.

#38 Feb 10, 2013
Punisher wrote:
<quoted text>No instead you're going to wear your faith on your sleeves and worship in trashy public displays. Who has time for good deeds when you're all dressing up and playing the part of devotee...?
Public displays? You don't even know me or know anything about me.

Remember, just making up lies about things don't make them true. John 8:44 explains your kind very well.
Punisher

Massapequa, NY

#39 Feb 10, 2013
Job wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I deny them all. That may depend on what you mean by deny though. I believe that there is only one true and living God. I don't deny that some of these gods you mentioned may have been a product of legend evolving from a prominent human, or a fallen angel in guise of a given god, etc. There's also the possibility (probability in some cases) that a remote tribal God is actually Jesus Christ (See Don Richardson's "Eternity In Their Hearts" for further reference), but probably none of the one's you mentioned.
Basically, I think many gods were nothing more than statues, wooden artifacts, etc.
But that brings up an interesting question (albeit the same one aimed at another person), do 'you' deny these gods?
Well why did your God say, "worship/hold no other Gods before me"...? "before me" indicates a first in line position, not an ONLY position.

Why not, "there are no other Gods, I am the ONLY one, so worship only me!"

The Jews at the time of these early writing/codification likely believed in the existence of those other Gods - just not that they paid the Jews any attention. They had example of victory of those other Gods, over not just them, but other peoples too...so why not claim ONLY God status...?

What made the Jews unique was 1. their One god notion, and 2. that he was their God only, and he'd chosen them as his personal worshipers. You had to be a Jew to access this God, and be blessed by him.

#40 Feb 10, 2013
tickedoffchic wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't appear that you could get too many "good deeds" done while being on Topix, 24/7.
24/7? Sorry but I have a life. You unbelievers are the ones trolling Christians on the Christian area of Topix. How pathetic!

Location hidden

#41 Feb 10, 2013
Big Al wrote:
<quoted text>
Our book teaches you can only get to Heaven via God's unmerited favor. All the other religions teach one can be forgiven via good works or a combination of faith and good works. You either get into Heaven via God's work i.e. Christianity, or you attempt to get there via your own works. www.scribd.com/doc/31322017 ...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Human microchipping on rise; researchers warn o... 12 min dollarsbill 13
Answer This,If You Will and If You Can... 32 min Mr Ironhart 83
Newsweek ,How Christians Often Misinterpret the... 34 min dollarsbill 6
Another Civil War in the US? 35 min dollarsbill 15
Evoution Frauds 41 min dollarsbill 20
Cookie's Place (Oct '13) 49 min Weepy 18,490
Where Did the Devil Come From? (May '08) 1 hr Gary Coaldigger 413
sex talk addiction 6 hr dollarsbill 134
From The Desk Of Pastor LDM 7 hr Skeptical_Mal 73
More from around the web