Comments
321 - 340 of 846 Comments Last updated Sep 25, 2013

“Reality bites”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#324 Mar 1, 2013
Job wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, he seems to allude to when referring to theology. But the question still stands. Where's the contradiction between science and the literal interpretation of Genesis?
God created man and animal, at the same time, according to the bible, True??

Cool, why is it that human fossilized remains are never found with dinosaur fossilized remains"

Given that carbon dating can be flawed, why is it that no human remains date back as far as dinosaurs???
Big Al

Hibbing, MN

#325 Mar 1, 2013
Job wrote:
<quoted text>
1. I never said every statement made by a scientist is a scientific hypothesis. But here's the article, and you can tell me where you may agree or disagree:
Recent editorials in this journal have defended the right of eminent biologist James Watson to raise the unpopular hypothesis that people of sub-Saharan African descent score lower, on average, than people of European or East Asian descent on tests of general intelligence. As those editorials imply, the scientific evidence is substantial in showing a genetic contribution to these differences. The unjustified ill treatment meted out to Watson therefore requires setting the record straight about the current state of the evidence on intelligence, race, and genetics. In this paper, we summarize our own previous reviews based on 10 categories of evidence: The worldwide distribution of test scores; the g factor of mental ability; heritability differences; brain size differences; trans-racial adoption studies; racial admixture studies; regression-to-the-mean effects; related life-history traits; human origins research; and the poverty of predictions from culture-only explanations. The preponderance of evidence demonstrates that in intelligence, brain size, and other life-history variables, East Asians average a higher IQ and larger brain than Europeans who average a higher IQ and larger brain than Africans. Further, these group differences are 50-80% heritable. These are facts, not opinions and science must be governed by data. There is no place for the "moralistic fallacy" that reality must conform to our social, political, or ethical desires.
hypotheses (n)- A statement that explains or makes generalizations about a set of facts or principles, usually forming a basis for possible experiments to confirm its viability.

Dr. Watson provided provide no scientific facts or principles as the basis for his statement.

The writers of the editorials in Medical Hypotheses were not named and therefore not necessarily people knowledgeable about what constitutes a scientific hypothesis.

Medical Hypotheses is a medical journal, originally intended as a merely a forum for unconventional ideas without the traditional filter of scientific peer review.

Dr. Watson’s comments clearly do not fit the definition of a scientific hypothesis.
Job wrote:
2. Out of curiosity, who 'would' be qualified?
I think you are referring to Professor Rose’s comment that Dr. Watson should keep out of “areas in which he is not well qualified”. Your question is why such an eminent scientist as Dr. Watson would not be qualified to comment on the genetics of intelligence.

Professor Rose acknowledged Dr. Watson’s expertise in “molecular biology”(he won the Noble prize for determining the molecular structure of DNA). The study of genetics as a branch of biology as it relates to human characteristics (such as intelligence) would be a different branch of the study of genetics that Dr. Watson probably would not be as familiar with.
lokkoh

Pittsburgh, PA

#326 Mar 1, 2013
youtube.com/watch... …… Error is reality
and delusional re-born thoughts

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#327 Mar 1, 2013
Jazybird58 wrote:
<quoted text>Was that hard.
Cool, why is it that human fossilized remains are never found with dinosaur fossilized remains"
Given that carbon dating can be flawed, why is it that no human remains date back as far as dinosaurs???
Since your faith in corrupt men, you should ask them. I'm sure they can make up some more lies that you'll swallow hook, line and sinker.
Big Al

Hibbing, MN

#328 Mar 1, 2013
Job wrote:
<quoted text>
1. Except that he doesn't seem to be addressing Genesis. Where does science refute the fundamentalist view of Genesis?
Who doesn’t seem to be addressing Genesis?

“many theological interpretations of origins can readily embrace an evolutionary outlook”

I think “theological interpretations of origins” clearly means interpretations of Genesis.

"If the Bible is the Word of God -- and it is, then it must be firmly believed that the world and all things in it were created in six natural days and that the long geological ages of evolutionary history never really took place at all." - Henry Morris, founder of the Institute for Creation Research

"The final and conclusive evidence against evolution is the fact that the Bible denies it." - Henry Morris, founder of the Institute for Creation Research

“Since the 1920s, literalist creationism in America has contested scientific theories, such as that of evolution…”- National Center for Science Education
Job wrote:
2. I agree. But what does that have to do with my comment that science and history books in general do not contradict the Bible? Generally, it's not until someone writes a book attempting to contrast science and history with the Bible. But those become books with a specific focus 'on' religion, which theoretically is supposed to be kept 'out' of the classrooms.
You wrote…

“You don't just pick up and read a science book, and voila!, proof that science supports evolution. That's similar to suggestions that if someone reads a history book, or a book on archaeology, they will see that the Bible is myth.”

If you were to read a science book you would understand that evolution is a scientific fact backed up incontrovertible scientific evidence. Whether or not you would think that contradicts the Bible would depend upon your interpretation of the Bible. It’s the creationists that want to teach that the Bible contradicts science, and since there is no scientific evidence for any creationist theory it is not appropriate to teach it in a science class.
Job wrote:
3. Then do you agree with this last part of my prior quote?
Do I agree with what?
Job wrote:
"These are facts, not opinions and science must be governed by data. There is no place for the "moralistic fallacy" that reality must conform to our social, political, or ethical desires."
Do you "honestly" think those scientists who've reprimanded Watson are not influenced by social, political, or ethical desires?
Certainly the magnitude of the response by the scientific community was affected by the socially and politically offensive nature of the comments but the lack of scientific evidence was the determining factor in the unanimity of the rejection of them.

“Reality bites”

Location hidden

#329 Mar 1, 2013
dollarsbill wrote:
<quoted text>
Since your faith in corrupt men, you should ask them. I'm sure they can make up some more lies that you'll swallow hook, line and sinker.
Dinausuars are lies??

Location hidden

#330 Mar 1, 2013
Jazybird58 wrote:
<quoted text>Dinausuars are lies??
Huh?

“Reality bites”

Location hidden

#331 Mar 1, 2013
dollarsbill wrote:
<quoted text>
Huh?
dollarsbill

Location hidden
Please wait... Reply »
|Report Abuse |Judge it!|#327 54 min ago
Jazybird58 wrote:
Since your faith in corrupt men, you should ask them. I'm sure they can make up some more lies that you'll swallow hook, line and sinker

Location hidden

#332 Mar 1, 2013
Jazybird58 wrote:
Since your faith is in corrupt men, you should ask them. I'm sure they can make up some more lies that you'll swallow hook, line and sinker
There ya go.

“Reality bites”

Location hidden

#333 Mar 1, 2013
dollarsbill wrote:
<quoted text>
There ya go.

Location hidden

#334 Mar 1, 2013
Jazybird58 wrote:
<quoted text>God created man and animal, at the same time, according to the bible, True??
You believe in God?

“Reality bites”

Location hidden

#335 Mar 1, 2013
dollarsbill wrote:
<quoted text>
You believe in God?
Why of course I believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster, don't you?
Thinking

Shaftesbury, UK

#336 Mar 1, 2013
So all powerful beings need to rest? Why?
dollarsbill wrote:
<quoted text>
Exodus 20:11 (NKJV)
11 For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day.
Thinking

Shaftesbury, UK

#337 Mar 1, 2013
Yes. And the IPU (mhhnbs).
Jazybird58 wrote:
<quoted text>Why of course I believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster, don't you?

Location hidden

#338 Mar 1, 2013
Jazybird58 wrote:
<quoted text>Why of course I believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster, don't you?
I believe in the God of the Bible who warned us of the eternal Hell fire, and that Israel would rise from the dead.

Location hidden

#339 Mar 1, 2013
Thinking wrote:
So all powerful beings need to rest? Why?
<quoted text>
More Satanic ignorance.

“Reality bites”

Location hidden

#340 Mar 1, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Yes. And the IPU (mhhnbs).
<quoted text>
I keep forgetting about the IPU.

“Reality bites”

Location hidden

#341 Mar 1, 2013
dollarsbill wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe in the God of the Bible who warned us of the eternal Hell fire, and that Israel would rise from the dead.
Wow he sounds like a real jerk. Now The FSM, and IPU don't roll like that. You really should dump yours.

“Reality bites”

Location hidden

#342 Mar 1, 2013
dollarsbill wrote:
<quoted text>
More Satanic ignorance.
Why did your god rest on the seventh day. Was he over worked? The FSM and IPU are allways on duty.
Cisco Kid

Modesto, CA

#343 Mar 1, 2013
Jazybird58 wrote:

You can't fool him.
Haven't you ever seen Fred Flintstone eating a Brontasaurus burger?
And how about Fred's pet dinosaur Dino?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cookie's Place (Oct '13) 17 min Cookie_Parker 13,745
Movie about jesus - our savior 59 min jesus christ 1
Evolution versus Creation, which one is right? 2 hr Thinking 23
It's Been 5 Years , Michael WE MISS YOU 2 hr Thinking 9
++++ WHY ATHEISTS ARE ON a CHRISTIAN FORUM ++++ (Dec '13) 3 hr Mr Ironhart 77
Spanking the gray matter out of our kids 3 hr par five 42
Are World Events Pointing to End Times 4 hr par five 509
intelligent debate 6 hr 15th Dalai Lama 91
Scripture cancels Rapture lottery 12 hr no-one-special 168
•••