created by: Yesu Kristo Mwokozi wangu | Aug 24, 2010

Christian

105 votes

What does the Christian fish symbol mean (ixthus / icthus)?

Click on an option to vote

• I have one on my car.
  • I don't have one on my car.

Comments (Page 13)

Showing posts 241 - 243 of243
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Punisher

Massapequa, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2012

Judged:

Tom wrote:
The symbol of Christian religion is Cross.
They have several of them...the cross, or crucifix is just the most popular.

Symbols are interesting things...they mean more'n what the user tells us they mean. No matter how Xtians try to slice it, their use of symbols is rooted in primitive mans oldest beliefs that use mandalas, icons and other such things to ward off, or bring forth spiritual energies thought to originate from their God/s.

Is the fish an old pagan image? Yes. Is its use in Xtian history mean the same things? No. But there are others they use where they do borrow ideas and beliefs to their own advantage. Be they the notion of the Sun Gods, or the Underworlds of most cultures myths - or the good old flood story. Judeo-Xtianity and its red-headed step child Islam - all borrow from and co-opt old pagan and non-pagan spiritual ideas, icons, imagery, sub-text, etc, etc...

Its a given. As to what they mean to Xtians, the Jews and Muslims - that's a whole other discussion. But to deny them straight out and claim them as original to their beliefs system is absurd, and an epic failure of reasoning.

Plus, Xtianity and Xtians in this case here - can not control what their symbols mean to others. No way! When I see a cross or a crucifix now, I see nothing but death and destruction within the Belief System. I see that punishment-torture device as the complete opposite of what the teachings of and the teacher himself would have wanted as a Brand.

I see it as the symbol of a Death Cult. One fixated on an afterlife - often at the cost of other lives for the one we can actually know and live. I see none of the love and compassion of the man nailed to it that some Xtians try to peddle...I see none of that. I see a man tortured and murdered by his own people for teaching a few unique ideas about ones personal spiritual journey.

I see that his trial and punishment are more worthy of adoration than were his simple teachings. I see that in order to justify his torture and murder as a sacrifice - someone decided to make him a God who died for us. A god in the flesh, who's only destiny was to be murdered. And that his followers would worship that murder over a set of very simple teachings about living alongside others.

But amazingly enough - a lot of people find solace in that imagery of torture and death.

Now the fish, that makes a whole lot more sense to me. Life in the form of its own fish-hood and as sustenance for many creatures on the planet. Part of the good side of the cycle of life. Instead of the awful side that Humans add to it. Torture and murder for having a differing set of ideas about how to live in peace and give a little push-back to those who wish to control others thoughts and beliefs about their spiritual lives.

A fish. Conjures thoughts of a school of fish like humans, a place to feel safe, a food source, water, beauty, life...all positive.

versus -

A torture and murder device.(sometimes with a dead "body" on it!) Uh...I'm thinking, I'm thinking...nope. Nothing positive there...nada.
jesus is

Blacktown, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2012

THE HISTORY OF THE CHRISTIAN FISH SYMBOL: http://www.eureka4you.com/fish/fishsymbol.htm

“Call sign: Apache One Six”

Since: Mar 11

US 62 @ US 81

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2012

Punisher wrote:
<quoted text>First off, not just ANYBODY can edit Wiki. That's no longer their policy, and even when it was more open to public edits, it was still not that easy to do for You or Me.
I have not seen any evidence that the policy at Wiki has changed except for articles about living persons, which must be reviewed by Wiki. Not too long ago someone made the same argument to me. I immediatley went to Wiki and "edited" the article he had quoted just to show him that I could. Then, although he had just argued it could not be done, he went and deleted my edit.
Their goal over there has always been to be accurate, not be a propaganda laden site. There's no positive outcome for their business model to be nothing but a propaganda site. Wiki is now considered to be a viable source for summary information on most topics such as those we're engaged in discussing, and dragging thru the mud of our opinions.
I'm sure that has been their goal, but they do not review everything that is posted on Wiki, nor do they review what is posted against the cited sources to see if they are correct.
You're expecting a Professional bibliography from us? Will you do the same? Shall I hire a staff to do my research now - in order to post here at Topix? When most of these "conversations" are off the cuff for most of us...
Are you through ranting, yet? I provide the titles and authors of sources I cite and links to primary source when possible. I do not quote Wiki or anonymous websites as authorities on any topic.
What do you use to test any sources as credible? Opinion, agenda, deep skepticism, the counsel of an expert...a friend, wife, girl-friend, Ouija board...?(I hope not the Bible..?)
More ranting! If you have been reading my posts you know what kind of sources I quote, e.g. The Jewish Encyclopedia, The Catholic Encyclopedia, BAGD, BDB, TWOT, TDNT, etc. I quote the most credible sources I can and identify my sources. Once again maybe you can understand it if I repeat it enough times. I consider published peer reviewed books by accredited scholars credible. I do not consider Wiki and anonymous websites as credible.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 241 - 243 of243
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

43 Users are viewing the Christian Forum right now

Search the Christian Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Does God exist? (Aug '11) 21 min 15th Dalai Lama 5,937
Stealing the Keys to Heaven (Dec '12) 21 min -Lea- 78,168
A Message from Nettie 22 min angelinaUK 300
Was Paul a False Apostle? (May '08) 26 min Brother Lee Love 1,241
Does Prayer Make A Difference? 53 min Cliff09 20
The King James Bible Still Remains 1 hr comment 34
Speaking in tongues 2 hr Barnsweb 76
•••
•••