Ten Life Lessons you Should Unlearn

Posted in the Christian Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Sep 08

Anderson, IN

#1 Oct 16, 2013
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/delano-ca/T62...

"In the past 10 years, I've realized that our culture is rife with ideas that actually inhibit joy. Here are some of the things I'm most grateful to have unlearned:

1. Problems are bad. You spent your school years solving arbitrary problems imposed by boring authority figures. You learned that problems -- comment se dit?-- suck. But people without real problems go mad and invent things like base jumping and wedding planning. Real problems are wonderful, each carrying the seeds of its own solution. Job burnout? It's steering you toward your perfect career. An awful relationship? It's teaching you what love means. Confusing tax forms? They're suggesting you hire an accountant, so you can focus on more interesting tasks, such as flossing. Finding the solution to each problem is what gives life its gusto.

2. It's important to stay happy. Solving a knotty problem can help us be happy, but we don't have to be happy to feel good. If that sounds crazy, try this: Focus on something that makes you miserable. Then think, "I must stay happy!" Stressful, isn't it? Now say, "It's okay to be as sad as I need to be." This kind of permission to feel as we feel -- not continuous happiness -- is the foundation of well-being."

There are 8 others. What do you think? HAve one you agree with or don't especially agree with?
Punisher

Massapequa, NY

#2 Oct 18, 2013
Another one to unlearn; that you should beseech a Super Being to come to your aid - usually at the expense of others. Seek no benefactors, listen to no prophets or oracles...they will only lead you to ruin...

Re; 2. I am always suspicious of those folks who claim to be always happy...they're usually real close to crazy, if not already over the line.

Happy is sort of a trite idea IMO. What is it really? "Hey I'm sure happy it wasn't me in that car wreck!" "this is the happiest day of my life!" (which sucks for the one saying it...might as well close up shop!) "If you would only do X, it would make us all happy!"

Another lesson to unlearn, "People persons" are not that at all. Avoid them...they will suck you into a vortex of pure inanity...
Big Al

Hibbing, MN

#3 Oct 18, 2013
You can't control everything that happens to you but you can control how you deal with it.
Cisco Kid

Modesto, CA

#4 Oct 18, 2013
Punisher wrote:
Another one to unlearn; that you should beseech a Super Being to come to your aid - usually at the expense of others. Seek no benefactors, listen to no prophets or oracles...they will only lead you to ruin...
Re; 2. I am always suspicious of those folks who claim to be always happy...they're usually real close to crazy, if not already over the line.
Happy is sort of a trite idea IMO. What is it really? "Hey I'm sure happy it wasn't me in that car wreck!" "this is the happiest day of my life!" (which sucks for the one saying it...might as well close up shop!) "If you would only do X, it would make us all happy!"
Another lesson to unlearn, "People persons" are not that at all. Avoid them...they will suck you into a vortex of pure inanity...
Man! Are you ever a psychological train wreck.
Must be painful to be you.
Cisco Kid

Modesto, CA

#5 Oct 18, 2013
Big Al wrote:
You can't control everything that happens to you but you can control how you deal with it.
Good point Big Al.
One thing we all own is ourselves; how we act, how we think and how we respond.
Be positive and do for others, it makes life better for everybody involved.
Punisher

Massapequa, NY

#6 Oct 19, 2013
Cisco Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
what are talking about? Oh right, your jabbering...not actually talking...

My train is always on the tracks, makes all the stops on time and with a smile...yeah my train smiles! what of it!!

Why cant people just have a little word and idea fun...? I was paraphrasing/channeling a little George Carlin, re; the happy bit.

Damn, but you're a bore...you Californians are a pitiful bunch, no sense of humor...its no wonder its the Celebrity and Vapid, Trendoid capital of the World.

“Third Eye”

Since: Nov 10

You can't get there from here.

#7 Oct 19, 2013
Cisco Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
AGREED! Why even bring that shyte up?
Punisher

Massapequa, NY

#8 Oct 19, 2013
NDanger wrote:
<quoted text>
AGREED! Why even bring that shyte up?
Did you two not see the theme? Things to unlearn?!?! I contributed one for real - the beseech'n - and was commenting with a large dollop of NY, east coast sarcasm on the rest...ala Carlin...

Geesus, but you guys are about as with-it as an iron chariot salesman.

Actually I do know happy, its when I meet actual clued-in people, who get sarcasm and dry aggressive humor...! It aint you two! You make me shake my head and roll my eyes.

Since: Sep 08

Anderson, IN

#9 Oct 19, 2013
Punisher wrote:
<quoted text>what are talking about? Oh right, your jabbering...not actually talking...
My train is always on the tracks, makes all the stops on time and with a smile...yeah my train smiles! what of it!!
Why cant people just have a little word and idea fun...? I was paraphrasing/channeling a little George Carlin, re; the happy bit.
Damn, but you're a bore...you Californians are a pitiful bunch, no sense of humor...its no wonder its the Celebrity and Vapid, Trendoid capital of the World.
They can't, because, IMHO, they are too busy bashing others to make themselves feel important. Most of the time, people can enjoy a little humor and fun on the internet. When they can't, they beat themselves up, only.

I LOVED Carlin. Saw him live. I thought I was going to die as I couldn't stop laughing...he really was one of the GREAT humorists and philosophers in our time.

“Only Biblical methods will ”

Since: Apr 10

help bring others to Christ

#10 Oct 19, 2013
I believe we should treat others as they wish to be treated, not how we wish to be treated.

Today, we are so live in such diversity, we risk offending another by treating them how we wish to be treated. FI, I recently sold some sheep to a man. When I meet him I offered him my hand for a hand shake. He would not shake my hand. I could have been insistant or offended, but I assumed he had his reasons so I retracted my hand fairly quickly.

As it turns out, it is against his religion to shake hands with a female, even though my hubby was right there. He explained this to hubby and to I since he was very concerned he had offended me. So, when he left, I did not even offer my hand for shaking.
Cisco Kid

Modesto, CA

#11 Oct 19, 2013
Punisher wrote:
You're wrong again.
Cali is what people aspire to, NY is where people leave from.
Cali is the destination location, NY is where they escaped from.
Cisco Kid

Modesto, CA

#12 Oct 19, 2013
Seriously__ wrote:
I believe we should treat others as they wish to be treated, not how we wish to be treated.

Today, we are so live in such diversity, we risk offending another by treating them how we wish to be treated.......
You should get yourself grounded in The Lord.
Jesus told us different than your theory.

"He said to him,“You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.

This is the greatest and the first commandment.

The second is like it:
You shall love your neighbor as yourself."

Matt.22:37-39

#13 Oct 19, 2013
Cisco Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
"He said to him,“You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.
The second is like it:
Loving our neighbor as ourselves is not the same as treating them the same as we wished to be treated. To some cultures, the way I wish to be treated is offensive/disrespectful if I treated them that way. I choose to not offend someone by treating them in a way that is disrespectful to them. IMO, it is not very loving to your neighbor to intentionally treat them in a manner that is disrespectful to them.

God bless you and yours.
Cisco Kid

Modesto, CA

#14 Oct 19, 2013
Seriously__ wrote:
<quoted text>
Loving our neighbor as ourselves is not the same as treating them the same as we wished to be treated....
Precisely.

There are two paths you can choose from.
Choose to follow God or choose to follow man.
It is your free will choice.

#15 Oct 19, 2013
Cisco Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
Precisely.
Are you agreeing that we should love our neighbor as ourselves and evidence this by treating them as they wish to be treated, not as we wish to be treated?

God bless you and yours.
Big Al

Hibbing, MN

#16 Oct 20, 2013
Cisco Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
Precisely.
"What can you say to a man who tells you he prefers obeying God rather than men, and that as a result he's certain he'll go to heaven if he cuts your throat?” &#8213; Voltaire,

“Third Eye”

Since: Nov 10

You can't get there from here.

#17 Oct 20, 2013
Punisher wrote:
<quoted text>Did you two not see the theme? Things to unlearn?!?! I contributed one for real - the beseech'n - and was commenting with a large dollop of NY, east coast sarcasm on the rest...ala Carlin...
Geesus, but you guys are about as with-it as an iron chariot salesman.
Actually I do know happy, its when I meet actual clued-in people, who get sarcasm and dry aggressive humor...! It aint you two! You make me shake my head and roll my eyes.
Really? You being sarcastic? Will wonders ever cease...
Cisco Kid

Modesto, CA

#18 Oct 21, 2013
Seriously__ wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you agreeing that we should love our neighbor as ourselves and evidence this by treating them as they wish to be treated, not as we wish to be treated?
God bless you and yours.
May the Lord bless you with understanding.

Do you disagree with the biblical passage that has become a popular maxim;
"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"
(Matthew 7:12)?

Reads pretty darn clear to me.
Cisco Kid

Modesto, CA

#19 Oct 21, 2013
Big Al wrote:
<quoted text>
"What can you say to a man who tells you he prefers obeying God rather than men, and that as a result he's certain he'll go to heaven if he cuts your throat?” &#8213; Voltaire,
Well Big Al, Voltaire should be quoted in context.

I mean, just because someone professes to follow God doesn't mean they are incapable of being wrong. The Bible is full of stories about God's people sinning.

Voltaire was a deist who criticized contemporary Christianity and often religion in general.
But your 'cherry-picked' quote has nothing to do with the Truth of Christianity and everything to do with the Lie of Mohammed.

In his seminal 'Philosophical Dictionary,' labeled "Reason," Voltaire sharply criticizes Islam:

"Your religion, although it has some good points, such as worship of the great Being, and the necessity of being just and charitable, is otherwise nothing but a rehash of Judaism and a tedious collection of fairy tales.
If the archangel Gabriel had brought the leaves of the Koran to Mahomet from some planet, all Arabia would have seen Gabriel come down : nobody saw him; therefore Mahomet was a brazen impostor who deceived imbeciles."

http://history.hanover.edu/texts/voltaire/vol...

“God Loves Ilks!”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#20 Oct 21, 2013
Cisco Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
The second is like it:
To treat others in a way that would not be insulting to them or their beliefs/culture IS loving.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mark 4:11 – Should Christians follow the Bible? 8 min Barnsweb 463
News Religion, higher education and critical thinking 23 min Barnsweb 210
4,70,000 errors, mistakes, contradictions in bible 1 hr dollarsbill 488
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 1 hr dollarsbill 8,359
Poll The Greatest Threat to America's Security 1 hr princeofdarknessi... 5
Did Adam And Eve Ever Get Married? (Apr '09) 1 hr dollarsbill 265
Is Paul a false Apostle? (Sep '13) 1 hr princeofdarknessi... 3,887
Here is My Spiritual Dilemma ... 1 hr princeofdarknessi... 153
More from around the web