apokalypsis
Halycon

Pinson, TN

#1066 Apr 12, 2013
Revelation 17:3 “So he carried me away in the spirit into the wilderness: and I saw a woman sit upon a scarlet colored beast, full of names of blasphemy, having seven
heads and ten horns.”
John was carried into the desert. There are many who declare that this desert represents the people or the world or even the church, but I believe that John is speaking literally, a true wilderness or desert. It may be even similar to a desert of Iraq. It is probably the same place to which the mother of the man child fled on the wings of the great eagle in chapter twelve. Like in his vision of the first four seals, John is told to come. He is then carried away to the place on the earth where the woman is sitting upon a scarlet beast. This is the first mention of the color of the beast. His color matches his spiritual mentor, the dragon. Again, there are many who consider this to be the Catholic Church, the “Revised Holy Roman Empire”, but I do not believe this is true, and I will discuss this later. In this context, this blasphemy is the contemptuous and profane act by this scarlet beast against the God of heaven. The beast has seven heads and ten horns filled with names of blasphemy. These seven heads and ten horns have been an area of debate. I personally believe that the seven heads represent seven nations and the ten heads represent ten kings. The scarlet beast is the healed head of the beast out of the sea. This represents an empire, and I believe it is the government of the antichrist.

“He is Risen”

Since: Jun 09

Pinson, TN

#1067 Apr 12, 2013
Revelation 17:3 “So he carried me away in the spirit into the wilderness: and I saw a woman sit upon a scarlet colored beast, full of names of blasphemy, having seven
heads and ten horns.”
John was carried into the desert. There are many who declare that this desert represents the people or the world or even the church, but I believe that John is speaking literally, a true wilderness or desert. It may be even similar to a desert of Iraq. It is probably the same place to which the mother of the man child fled on the wings of the great eagle in chapter twelve. Like in his vision of the first four seals, John is told to come. He is then carried away to the place on the earth where the woman is sitting upon a scarlet beast. This is the first mention of the color of the beast. His color matches his spiritual mentor, the dragon. Again, there are many who consider this to be the Catholic Church, the “Revised Holy Roman Empire”, but I do not believe this is true, and I will discuss this later. In this context, this blasphemy is the contemptuous and profane act by this scarlet beast against the God of heaven. The beast has seven heads and ten horns filled with names of blasphemy. These seven heads and ten horns have been an area of debate. I personally believe that the seven heads represent seven nations and the ten heads represent ten kings. The scarlet beast is the healed head of the beast out of the sea. This represents an empire, and I believe it is the government of the antichrist.
Halycon

Humboldt, TN

#1068 May 8, 2013
Revelation 17:4 “And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet color, and gilded with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of
abominations and filthiness of her immorality”.
The woman's clothes match the colors of the beast and the dragon. The woman wears no crowns herself but she rides the beast and controls the reins. Her apparel signifies wealth beyond description. Her haughtiness is symbolized by the golden cup in her hand containing her abominations and the filth of her fornication. She is proud of her evil. She has a name.

Revelation 17:5 “And upon her forehead [was] a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH”. Paul said, the mystery of lawlessness is already at work. The mysterious evil forces controlling world governments is traced by the scriptures to Babylon. There are many who believe that this Babylon is actually symbolic of “The Revised Roman Empire” based on the “Catholic Church”. This is not true. If it were so, then John would have said it in a way that pointed to this. We should know that same pride that built the tower of Babel is the pride behind the desire for governmental power and glory. Pride has been the characteristic of every kingdom and king in every age. Babylon is the mother of harlotry, both physical and spiritual. She is the mother of all the abominations of the world. Abominations usually refer to idolatry. Babylon from its infancy was the opposite of and enemy to the Kingdom of God. The animosity runs deep!

Revelation 17:6 “And I saw the woman drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus: and when I saw her, I wondered with great wonder”.
This woman has gone into partnership with the beast and Satan, and has become drunk with satisfaction in her power and her authority and her status, in that anybody who does not agree with her she can have killed. But the list is limited to in those she has killed, only the blood of saints and those who have the witness of Jesus. I believe this killing goes back to the first century church, and those killed have been believers in the finished work of Jesus on the cross, and those apostles and disciples who have carried the gospel of Jesus Christ around the world. I believe that this woman, the harlot, is the culmination of years of tribulation and persecution and death for millions of believers in Jesus Christ. I believe that during her time of future power, millions more will die for the name of Jesus and for the testimony of Jesus, and they that loved Him, even more than their own life. The harlot is drunk in her bed. It is not the juice of plants and grains that intoxicates her. She is drunk on blood and not just any blood! She is drunk on the blood of saints, which is her beverage. This woman lying drunk in her own filth is the exact opposite of the church of Christ who is without blemish and without spot. The sight of the great harlot overwhelmed John with a sense of great amazement. But the angel could not understand why John marveled at her.

“He is Risen”

Medina, TN

#1069 Jul 3, 2013
Revelation 17:8 “The beast that you saw was, and is not, and will ascend out of the bottomless pit and go to perdition. And those who dwell on the earth will marvel, whose names are not written in the Book of Life from the foundation of the world, when they see the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.”

I believe the symbolism of John's vision is as follows. First, the beast mentioned here is the same one mentioned earlier in chapter eleven, verse seven. He is the one that kills the two witnesses near the end of the forty-two months. In chapter eleven the beast was described as coming out of the abyss. In this chapter we learn he will go into perdition (destruction). This scarlet beast is the head that was slain and brought back to life. We must remember that the beast represents a government. This then will be a government that once existed,“was”, disappeared from history,“is not”, and will be brought back to power,“and yet is”. The expression, "yet is" comes from the Greek future tense and should be translated, "shall be". The "shall be" makes the healing of the head that was slain a future event. That is, future from the time of John's vision. Mystery Babylon will hold the reins of the beast that will one day rule the whole world. The government will resent her control and destroy her. Many of the books I have read and many sermons I have heard equate the beast with a revived Roman Empire and Mystery Babylon as the Roman Catholic Church. In that equation a revived Roman Empire is controlled by the Roman Catholic Church. I am not a Roman Catholic and it is not my intention to make a defense of that institution. But I must, in all fairness, say that this interpretation gives that Roman Catholic Church a "bum rap". Such explanations do not fit the words of scripture or the events of history. The beast "was". That means past time to John. The beast "is not". That would be the present time to John. The beast "shall be". That would be future to John. This makes it conclusive that Rome, in a revived state, is not in view. When John received this vision, it certainly could not be said that Rome "is not". Rome was the world power of John's day. Traditionally, it is said of John's exile that he was on the island of Patmos by the decree of Rome. Revelation 1:9 tells us,“I, John, both your brother and companion in the tribulation and kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was on the island that is called Patmos for the word of God and for the testimony of Jesus Christ”. John was on Patmos to preach the word of God. But, eliminating Rome as the beast, we do not automatically identify the beast. We are, however, stuck with the problem of identifying the beast if such identification is possible. I believe identification is possible and will become clear as we study the remaining verses of this chapter.

“He is Risen”

Medina, TN

#1070 Jul 3, 2013
Revelation 17:7 "But the angel said to me,“Why did you marvel? I will tell you the mystery of the woman and of the beast that carries her, which has the seven heads and the ten horns."

I did jump ahead on the previous post. The identity of the woman is, of course, not in question and later verses clearly identify the mystery of the woman and her by name as we also clearly identify the beast.

“He is Risen”

Gadsden, TN

#1071 Jul 18, 2013
Revelation 17:9 “And here is the mind which hath wisdom. The seven heads are seven mountains, on which the woman sitteth. And there are seven kings: five are fallen, and one is, and the other is not yet come; and when he comes, he must continue a short space.”

The reference to seven mountains is one reason many identify the beast as Rome. Rome is called the city that "sits on seven hills". The "seven hills of Rome" is an expression found in many literary works. In spite of this the truth remains that the beast cannot be Rome since Rome existed at the time John was told, "the beast is not".
We are not reading about seven actual hills or mountains. This is symbolism as proven by the words, "and there are seven kings". The Greek is specific, "the seven heads are seven mountains and are seven kings". Prophecy uses mountains to symbolize kingdoms and heads to symbolize kings.
If we can identify the kings represented by the seven heads and their respective kingdoms we will discern the identity of the scarlet beast. It has been often suggested that this refers to seven Caesars of the Roman Empire. But this also does not match history. At the time of John's vision there had already been more than five Caesars that ruled the Empire. Therefore "five are fallen" cannot be applied to Roman Caesars. We must look elsewhere for an explanation.
The history of the world is recorded in terms of world empires. The first world empire was the kingdom of Babylon, founded and ruled by Nimrod, as told us in Genesis 10:58-10; "And Cush begat Nimrod: he began to be a mighty one in the earth. He was a mighty hunter before the Lord: wherefore it is said, even as Nimrod the mighty hunter before the Lord. And the beginning of his kingdom was Babel, and Erech, and Accad, and Calneh, in the land of Shinar."
The second kingdom came out of the first. It was the Assyrian Empire, founded by Asshur, and headquartered at Nineveh, as Genesis 10:11-12 tells us; "Out of that land
(Babylon) went forth Asshur, and builded Nineveh, and the city Rehoboth, and Calah, And Resen between Nineveh and Calah: the same is a great city."
The third great kingdom was Egypt. The first kingdom, Babylon, declined for many years and Assyria rose to become the world power. Later Babylon would be replanted by Assyria but in the meantime, Egypt rose to become the center of world power. This continued through the days of Jacob, Joseph, Moses, and for some time thereafter.
For a time Assyria, Babylon, and Egypt co-existed and struggled for dominion of the world. Assyria carried the ten northern tribes of Israel into captivity around 720 B.C.

“He is Risen”

Medina, TN

#1072 Jul 25, 2013
During this period Assyria re-established Babylon as a nation. It was not long before Babylon threw off the dominance of Assyria and rose to great power. Babylon destroyed its recent founder, Assyria (Asshur), and became ruler of the world. Babylon captured the two remaining tribes of Israel and led them captive to the land of Babylon. Babylon, in the days of Jeremiah, invaded Egypt. For seventy years the Babylonian Empire, depicted as a tree whose branches reached to heaven, overshadowed the whole world. This neo-Babylon was the head of gold in the king's vision of a statue as recorded in the Book of Daniel. After seventy years of rule, Babylon was overthrown by the Media-Persian Empire, the fourth of the great world empires. Cyrus, the Persian, ordered the release of Babylon's captives. He allowed them to return to their own homelands. Ezra, Nehemiah, Zerubbabel, and others returned to Israel and began the rebuilding of Jerusalem and the temple during the rulership of the Media-Persia kings. The Media-Persia Empire in turn, was crushed by Greece, the fifth world empire, under the leadership of Alexander the Great. The death of Alexander split the Macedonian Empire into four divisions. These are the five kingdoms and kings that were. The divisions of Alexander's empire warred with each other for decades until the rise of Rome, the sixth world empire. Rome is the world kingdom referred to in verse ten as the "one is II • Babylon, Assyria, Egypt, Media-Persia, Greece, are the five that fell. Rome constitutes the "one is". That makes six. There is yet a seventh to come and continue for a short space. Beyond that seventh that had "not yet come" in John's day there would be another, an eighth. But the eighth will actually be one of the seven brought back to power.

“He is Risen”

Medina, TN

#1073 Jul 25, 2013
The scarlet beast itself constitutes that eighth kingdom. He is the one that "was and is not and yet will be". Two things should be noted. Firstly, there is yet to be a seventh worldwide government before the rise of the scarlet beast. Secondly, the scarlet beast will arise out of the seven and be the eighth world government. Being of the seven means there must be a restoration of one of the previous empires. We have already ruled out Rome as a candidate to be the beast. We now must ask the question, "Which of these kingdoms did and which of these kingdoms did not exist at the time of John's writing?" To put it another way, which of the former world empires matches the description, "was and is not"? As I said, Rome is out. The nation of Greece existed when John was on Patmos. True it was not the great power it had once been but it existed nonetheless. Paul had seen in a vision a man calling him to come to Macedonia. Therefore Greece cannot be the beast. The Media Persia Empire was shattered by Alexander the Great. But it too was still in existence at the time of John's writing. It had lost its glory and power but it had not died. There were Medes and Persians represented at Pentecost, therefore the Media-Persian Empire will not be the scarlet beast. Babylon, in a state of decline, still existed when John penned the Book of Revelation. Simon Peter visited Babylon and wrote one of his epistles from there. Therefore Babylon is ruled out as the beast. Plus the fact that Babylon will be riding the beast when it appears.

“He is Risen”

Medina, TN

#1074 Jul 25, 2013
Egypt existed when John saw the vision. Matthew wrote, "take the young child and flee into Egypt...” It had been foretold that Egypt would never return to its greatness among nations. "And I will bring again the captivity of Egypt, and will cause them to return [into] the land of Pathros, into the land of their habitation; and they shall be there a base kingdom. It shall be the basest of the kingdoms; neither shall it exalt itself any more above the nations: for I will diminish them that they shall no more rule over the nations." Ezekiel 29:14-15. This rules out the possibility of Egypt becoming the scarlet beast. Among the nations that had been world empires, all can be accounted for in one fashion another, except Assyria. The kingdoms of Babylon and Assyria have a history that both diverges and converges. Their histories are deeply intertwined. First there was Babylon under Nimrod. Then Assyria went out from there and established Assyria. First one and then the other of these two empires waxed and waned in power. Assyria first came out of Babylon and became the greater power. However, Assyria later planted Babylon as a nation again. But Babylon in turn became great and destroyed Assyria. At that time Assyria ceased to exist as a kingdom or nation. The city of Nineveh was made desolate, never to rise again. Assyria is the only one of the six world empires of which it could be said, "is not". Assyria simply did not exist as a nation during John's day. Assyria, alone of the seven, matches the words, "was and is not". But Assyria cannot rise to power again and have headquarters at Nineveh because it was destroyed with no hope of rising again. But the restoration of Assyria to power is foretold in the Old Testament. The Assyrian kingdom will be restored, not at Nineveh, but on the ancient site of Babylon. It will be the Assyria Empire, ruled by an Assyrian. But ruled with headquarters at Babylon. The prophecy concerning the restoration of Assyria and the coming of the beast out of the pit is found in the Book of Isaiah, chapter fourteen.

“He is Risen”

Medina, TN

#1075 Jul 25, 2013
Before studying the fourteenth chapter of Isaiah it is necessary to dispose of a common misconception of what that chapter is all about. This chapter is famous for its graphic description of Lucifer. It is from this chapter that the name, Lucifer, has been applied to Satan. But does this chapter really say that? A quick scan of the chapter to make the point, "... That thou shalt take up this proverb against the king of Babylon, and say, how hath the oppressor ceased! The golden city ceased!" (Isaiah 14:4) This identifies to whom the prophecy is addressed. It is not addressed to Satan but the king of Babylon. "They that see thee shall narrowly look upon thee,[and] consider thee, saying, is this the man that made the earth to tremble, that did shake kingdoms;" Isaiah 14: 16. The prophecy is addressed to a man. Lucifer is not another name for that old serpent, the devil, and Satan. This is a vital point to understanding the entire chapter. Once we accept that Lucifer is not Satan this chapter of Isaiah become much more enlightening. First, "... Hell from beneath is moved for thee to meet [thee] at thy coming: it stirreth up the dead for thee,[even] all the chief ones of the earth; it hath raised up from their thrones all the kings of the nations." Isaiah 14:9. "Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit" Isaiah 14:15. The king of Babylon who will go into hell. Hell is from the Hebrew word, "Sheol", meaning the world of the dead. The king of Babylon will go into the pit. Secondly, "... But thou art cast out of thy grave like an abominable branch,[and as] the raiment of those that are slain, thrust through with a sword, that go down to the stones of the pit, as a carcass trodden under feet." Isaiah 14:19. The beast that "was and is not" is to come from out of the pit or abyss. Again the word is Sheol the world of the dead. Thirdly, "Thou shalt not be joined with them in burial, because thou hast destroyed thy land,[and] slain thy people: the seed of evildoers shall never be renowned " Isaiah 14:20. The beast goes into perdition. More than that, it will go into perdition without burial. "And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone." Revelation 19:20. Fourthly, " ... That I will break the Assyrian (Asshur) in my land, and upon my mountains tread him under foot: then shall his yoke depart from off them, and his burden depart from off their shoulders." Isaiah 14:25. Here is the key. The passage from Isaiah is addressed to the king of Babylon. But in verse twenty-five he is called, "The Assyrian". The scarlet beast will be a revival of the Assyrian Empire with headquarters at Babylon. This Assyrian will also be the king of Babylon. This identifies the beast that "was" and "is not" yet will be. Each mention of Assyria in the King James Bible comes from the Hebrew word, Asshur. The beast is not therefore a revival of the Roman Empire. It will be a revival of the ancient kingdom of Asshur, headquartered and guided by the harlot, Babylon. That will be eighth and last great world empire.

“He is Risen”

Medina, TN

#1076 Jul 25, 2013
During this period Assyria re-established Babylon as a nation. It was not long before Babylon threw off the dominance of Assyria and rose to great power. Babylon destroyed its recent founder, Assyria (Asshur), and became ruler of the world. Babylon captured the two remaining tribes of Israel and led them captive to the land of Babylon. Babylon, in the days of Jeremiah, invaded Egypt. For seventy years the Babylonian Empire, depicted as a tree whose branches reached to heaven, overshadowed the whole world. This neo-Babylon was the head of gold in the king's vision of a statue as recorded in the Book of Daniel. After seventy years of rule, Babylon was overthrown by the Media-Persian Empire, the fourth of the great world empires. Cyrus, the Persian, ordered the release of Babylon's captives. He allowed them to return to their own homelands. Ezra, Nehemiah, Zerubbabel, and others returned to Israel and began the rebuilding of Jerusalem and the temple during the rulership of the Media-Persia kings. The Media-Persia Empire in turn, was crushed by Greece, the fifth world empire, under the leadership of Alexander the Great. The death of Alexander split the Macedonian Empire into four divisions. These are the five kingdoms and kings that were. The divisions of Alexander's empire warred with each other for decades until the rise of Rome, the sixth world empire. Rome is the world kingdom referred to in verse ten as the "one is II • Babylon, Assyria, Egypt, Media-Persia, Greece, are the five that fell. Rome constitutes the "one is". That makes six. There is yet a seventh to come and continue for a short space. Beyond that seventh that had "not yet come" in John's day there would be another, an eighth. But the eighth will actually be one of the seven brought back to power. The scarlet beast itself constitutes that eighth kingdom. He is the one that "was and is not and yet will be". Two things should be noted. Firstly, there is yet to be a seventh worldwide government before the rise of the scarlet beast. Secondly, the scarlet beast will arise out of the seven and be the eighth world government. Being of the seven means there must be a restoration of one of the previous empires. We have already ruled out Rome as a candidate to be the beast. We now must ask the question, "Which of these kingdoms did and which of these kingdoms did not exist at the time of John's writing?" To put it another way, which of the former world empires matches the description, "was and is not"? As I said, Rome is out. The nation of Greece existed when John was on Patmos. True it was not the great power it had once been but it existed nonetheless. Paul had seen in a vision a man calling him to come to Macedonia. Therefore Greece cannot be the beast. The Media Persia Empire was shattered by Alexander the Great. But it too was still in existence at the time of John's writing. It had lost its glory and power but it had not died. There were Medes and Persians represented at Pentecost, therefore the Media-Persian Empire will not be the scarlet beast. Babylon, in a state of decline, still existed when John penned the Book of Revelation. Simon Peter visited Babylon and wrote one of his epistles from there.

“He is Risen”

Collierville, TN

#1077 Aug 24, 2013
Revelation 17:10 "And there are seven kings, five are fallen,and one is,and the other is not yet come; and when he comes, he must continue a short space."
To summarize: The names of the world-wide kingdoms; The five that fell are, Babylon, Assyria (Asshur), Egypt, Media-Persia, and Greece. Rome is the one that "is", at the time of John's writing. There is yet a seventh to come and continue for a short space. The seventh is not identified. After the seventh and out of the seven will come the beast out of the abyss, Assyria, ruling as king of Babylon. The wars of history have been wars of territorial conquest for the most part. England, Spain, France, Germany, Russia, and now perhaps the United States have all coveted absolute rulership over the rest of the world. Some have, from time to time, become very powerful with far-flung boundaries but none have attained world supremacy. We are still waiting for the seventh.

“He is Risen”

Collierville, TN

#1078 Aug 24, 2013
Revelation 17:11 "And the beast that was, and is not, even he is the eighth, and is of the seven, and goes into perdition."
It is interesting how specific are the details of John's vision. By the time the beast comes up out of the abyss there will have been seven great world empires. They will each have declined. One will have died. The beast will come out of them and be the eighth. He will rule for forty-two months and go directly to his destruction.

“He is Risen”

Collierville, TN

#1079 Aug 24, 2013
Revelation 17:12 "And the ten horns which you saw are ten kings, which have received no kingdom as yet; but receive power as kings one hour with the beast."
The beast will rule the world through a confederation of ten lesser kingdoms represented by the ten horns. They will reign one hour with the beast. The term "one hour" indicates simultaneous action rather than length of time. They will receive their kingdoms at the same time the beast receives his authority from the devil.

“He is Risen”

Collierville, TN

#1080 Aug 24, 2013
Revelation 17:13 These have one mind, and shall give their power and strength unto the beast."
These ten kings will be puppet governments of the beast. They will share his hatred for the Lamb. They will be allies of the beast in the war of the great day of God at Armageddon. They will also share the beast's defeat at the hands of the King of kings and Lord of lords.
These verses will be discussed in length at a later time.

“He is Risen”

Jackson, TN

#1081 Sep 11, 2013
Revelation 17:14 “These will make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb will overcome them, for He is Lord of lords and King of kings; and those who are with Him are called, chosen, and faithful.”

“These” that make war with the Lamb are the ten horns which are the ten kings and they will attempt to fight against Jesus, and “the Lamb” will overcome them. These ten kings hate Christ and Christians, and these ten kings do not worship God, rather they worship a false god. Jesus is able to overcome them because He is Lord of lords and King of kings. What does this mean? This means that there is no higher authority or power. And those that are with Jesus are the called and chosen and faithful. We are all called but only a few truly answer. And I believe the word ‘chosen’ actually means ‘choice’. Those who are called, and receive Jesus as Lord, and are faithful to Him, they are choice men and women.

“He is Risen”

Jackson, TN

#1082 Sep 11, 2013
Revelation 17:15-17 “Then he said to me, the waters which you saw, where the harlot sits, are peoples, multitudes, nations, and tongues. And the ten horns which you saw on the beast, these will hate the harlot, make her desolate and naked, eat her flesh and burn her with fire. For God has put it into their hearts to fulfill His purpose, to be of one mind, and to give their kingdom to the beast, until the words of God are fulfilled.”

The harlot will be able to dominate the entire world as symbolized by two aspects of this vision. The harlot will be riding the beast, pulling the reins. She will be sitting on many waters (people, tribes, tongues, and nations) and she will be sitting on seven mountains (kingdoms). But there will be a problem. The woman is haughty, the beast will be arrogant, and there will be a conflict of pride between the harlot and the beast. The beast will resent being reined by the woman. The beast will plot against her with his ten puppet kings. The ten kings will also resent the influence of Mystery Babylon and will gladly seek her destruction. They will relieve the beast of her influence and control. These ten kings will arrange the final downfall of Babylon. The mistress of the world will be rejected by her lovers. They will make her desolate and strip away the finery with which she dressed herself. They will eat her substance and burn her with fire.
There is a great lesson in this passage. What we read is the destruction of Babylon by ten kings who will hate her. What is actually taking place is the will of God. That should be highlighted in our minds. How quietly and invisibly the King of kings and Lord of lords exercise control. A onlooker would never suspect that God will be the one destroying Babylon; He will put into the hearts of the ten kings this desire and they will not know it is His will. This fact should be of great comfort to believers. God is always in charge. It is He who plants nations and plucks up nations. In this case the ten kings who align with the beast will be, like Cyrus of Persia, God's unwitting instruments to bring Babylon down. The ten kings will certainly not be aware God's control. They will simply be acting according to their own hatred for the woman.
There will be mixed emotions over the destruction of Babylon. The nations hate the Lamb. They will also hate the harlot. They will destroy the harlot in unwitting conformity to the will of the Lamb. The irony is quite striking. When the deed is done, however, they will mourn the outcome of their own actions.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#1083 Sep 15, 2013
The book of Revelation is a delusional, psychotic book of mythology and it will never come to pass. The OT is complete and needs no addition or elaboration. Prophecy basically ends with the resurrection, Zechariah 14. God will not reign on the earth for 1000 years, God will reign forever. Jesus is dead and he ain't comin back. He's been proven as a false prophet.

“He is Risen”

Collierville, TN

#1084 Oct 31, 2013
Revelation 18:1-3 “And after these things I saw another angel come down from heaven, having great power; and the earth was lightened with his glory. And he cried mightily with a strong voice, saying, Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and is become the habitation of devils, and the hold of every foul spirit, and a cage of every unclean and hateful bird. For all nations have drunk of the wine of the wrath of her fornication, and the kings of the earth have committed fornication with her, and the merchants of the earth are waxed rich through the abundance of her delicacies.”
In the previous chapter we read of ten kings who will unwittingly perform the will of God by destroying Mystery Babylon, the great harlot. Chapter eighteen gives more details of that downfall. In this chapter we will learn how the world will react to her destruction. An angel will come down from heaven and lightens the earth. This sign, therefore, is not restricted to the eyes of the heavenly watchers. It will be in plain sight of all. It is a fulfillment of something Jesus said in Luke 21:11, "And great earthquakes shall be in divers places, and famines, and pestilences; and fearful sights and great signs shall there be from heaven. It is a powerful angel that announces, "Babylon fell". The announcement is in simple past tense. But that would be looking at the announcement from the wrong viewpoint. To impose a prophetic element into the event is not necessary if we remember that John is now being given a detailed account of an event that took place during an earlier vision of the forty-two month reign of the beast. The past tense is used from the viewpoint of what John has already seen in lesser detail. In chapter fourteen an angel announced Babylon's fall. In this chapter John is given a detailed look back to that fall. The downfall of Babylon fulfills the prophecies of Isaiah. Isaiah 13:19-22 tells us,“And Babylon, the glory of kingdoms, the beauty of the Chaldeans excellency, shall be as when God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah. It shall never be inhabited, neither shall it be dwelt in from generation to generation: neither shall the Arabian pitch tent there; neither shall the shepherds make their fold there. But wild beasts of the desert shall lie there; and their houses shall be full of doleful creatures; and owls shall dwell there, and satyrs shall dance there. And the wild beasts of the islands shall cry in their desolate houses, and dragons in their pleasant palaces: and her time is near to come, and her days shall not be prolonged.

“He is Risen”

Collierville, TN

#1085 Oct 31, 2013
Jeremiah 51:37 tells us, "And Babylon shall become heaps, a dwelling place for dragons, an astonishment, and an hissing, without an inhabitant." Jeremiah 51:26 tells us, "And they shall not take of thee a stone for a comer, nor a stone for foundations; but thou shalt be desolate forever, saith the LORD." In the preceding chapter, we learned that these prophecies have never been fulfilled. There are too many details of the prophecy of Isaiah left undone. Isaiah said Babylon would never again be inhabited. Babylon is presently inhabited. More than that Babylon is inhabited with construction crews who are in the process of restoring the city. Isaiah said not a stone would be taken for a comer or for a foundation. We read in the sketch of Babylon's history where in 312 B.C Seleucus Nicator, Alexander's former General and Bodyguard, razed the city of Babylon and used its stones to build the city of Seleucia. These two examples are sufficient to show that Isaiah's prophecy was not fulfilled as often taught. We also can discern this by the gradual decline of Babylon rather than by sudden overthrow. Therefore, Isaiah's prophecy is yet to
be fulfilled. That is what John is writing to us about in this chapter. During the time of the ten kings, Babylon will fall according to the prophecies of the Old Testament. Then will be a complete fulfillment, It is at that time Babylon will cease to be an inhabitable place. None will dwell in it from that time forward. Even the Bedouin tribes will see it as a place to avoid. The wandering shepherds will not bed their sheep there. It will be suitable only for the wild beasts, doleful creatures, owls, and satyrs. It will be a place of complete desolation. Jeremiah 51:7 tells us, "Babylon [hath been] a golden cup in the LORD'S hand, that made all the earth drunken: the nations have drunken of her wine; therefore the nations are mad". Babylon's history is full with the drunkenness of political intrigue, moral corruption, and commerce without honor. Babylon, and the nations that drank of her fornications, have filled up their cups of iniquity and the Lord has fixed the day and manner of her doom.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evidence Against God 22 min messianic114 3,835
Why do you really believe in a god? 1 hr messianic114 622
News Religion, higher education and critical thinking (Aug '15) 1 hr messianic114 8,260
Scientific Proof Of GOD(for dummies) 1 hr 10uhsee 1,344
Who else wants to go back and stop the fall of ... 1 hr Blodewedd 42
+++++++++++ THE SECRET to IMMORTALITY +++++++++++ (Nov '14) 3 hr Atheistgirl 31
A God Who Disagrees With The Data 3 hr Blodewedd 170
More from around the web