First Prev
of 57
Next Last

“Become Love!”

Since: Jan 09

Nowhere/Now here

#1 May 26, 2009
Greetings, salutations and shalom.

This thread was started so that any one that desires to learn about the book called Revelation can enter in and do just that; LEARN.

Discourage disputes. Encourage respectful, congenial debate, especially if it's going to lead us to a better understanding of what's written.

This thread is NOT to discredit what's written. If you aren't a "believer," PLEASE, keep your comments to yourself. Believers, please do not respond to those that enter here only to discredit and deny because this will only encourage non-believers to continue. By responding, this will, inevitably, lead the conversation to a point where more time is spent defending what we "believe" than discussing the topic at hand. This "defense time" will only be a waste of all of our time. Of course, we'll have to discern whether a non-believer is just trying to cause confusion, or actually has a genuine question regarding the topic.

"If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him." James 1:5
Faith is Golden

Massapequa, NY

#2 May 26, 2009
Discuss what? Youre awfully vague...

“Become Love!”

Nowhere/Now here

#3 May 26, 2009
"Revelation" is the most common name for the last book in the bible, derived from the Greek word "apokalypsis." "Apokalypsis" means "1) laying bare, making naked; 2) a disclosure of truth, instruction; 2a) concerning things before unknown; 2b) used of events by which things or states or persons hitherto withdrawn from view are made visible to all; 3) manifestation, appearance."

Now, the root word for "apokalypsis" is the Greek "apokalypto," and its definition is rather similar. This means, 1) to uncover, lay open what has been veled or uncovered up; 1a) disclose, make bear; 2) to make known, make manifest, disclose what before was unknown.

"Apokalypto" is derived from two roots words, which are these: "apo" and "kalypto." The two main definitons of the term "apo" is "1) of seperation"; and "2) of origin." The definition for "kalypto" is "1) to hide, veil; 1a) to hinder the knowledge of a thing."

The beginning of this process of "separating (apo) the veil(kalypto)" began at the death of our Christ. Mark 15:38 says, "And the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom." Christ made it known that "there is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed; and hid, that shall not be known." Behold, the blessing of our 'Elohiym, for in times past, only one was allowed to enter through the veil, to appear before the presense of the most High. And in this, only once a year! But our King and Lord became that one and the veil, and now, we all may enter, through him, to stand before our Father in His heavenly kingdom! Praise the Lord!
Faith is Golden

Massapequa, NY

#4 May 26, 2009
Brother Lee Love wrote:
"Revelation" is the most common name for the last book in the bible, derived from the Greek word "apokalypsis." "Apokalypsis" means "1) laying bare, making naked; 2) a disclosure of truth, instruction; 2a) concerning things before unknown; 2b) used of events by which things or states or persons hitherto withdrawn from view are made visible to all; 3) manifestation, appearance."
Now, the root word for "apokalypsis" is the Greek "apokalypto," and its definition is rather similar. This means, 1) to uncover, lay open what has been veled or uncovered up; 1a) disclose, make bear; 2) to make known, make manifest, disclose what before was unknown.
"Apokalypto" is derived from two roots words, which are these: "apo" and "kalypto." The two main definitons of the term "apo" is "1) of seperation"; and "2) of origin." The definition for "kalypto" is "1) to hide, veil; 1a) to hinder the knowledge of a thing."
The beginning of this process of "separating (apo) the veil(kalypto)" began at the death of our Christ. Mark 15:38 says, "And the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom." Christ made it known that "there is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed; and hid, that shall not be known." Behold, the blessing of our 'Elohiym, for in times past, only one was allowed to enter through the veil, to appear before the presense of the most High. And in this, only once a year! But our King and Lord became that one and the veil, and now, we all may enter, through him, to stand before our Father in His heavenly kingdom! Praise the Lord!
and what is the point of this "lesson"?

Since: Oct 08

Sheridan, AR

#5 May 26, 2009
Hello Im here...:)

Hi to you too Faith, a few of us decided in another thread that we would like to discuss the Book of Rev. to help us understand it more...your welcome to join us.:) The more the merrier

“Become Love!”

Nowhere/Now here

#6 May 26, 2009
1:1 The Revelation os Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things whish must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:

This verse is, pretty much, self-explanatory. What I would like to mention, though, is the phrase, "which must shortly come to pass," and particularly, the word "shortly." I know, from experience, that this phrase and/or word has sparked off some debate in the past as to when this was.

We must remember that those in the heavenly realm are not bound by time as we are. This is why it's written, "For a thousand years in they sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and a watch in the night." A "watch" is only a mere 4-hrs. Peter, inspired by the Holy Spirit, wrote "But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day." Peter said this to those that were growing impatient while waiting for the promises and the return of Christ. So, apparently, the things that must "shortly come to pass" can easily mean at that present time and even into our very day and future. According to chronological "scholars," the destruction of Jerusalem occured soon after Revelation was written, so there's the "shortly" in that. On the other hand, the current establishing of the kingdom of Heaven is yet to be fulfilled in its entirety, therefore, we're still in the age of this "shortly."

"But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness, and their word will eat as doth a canker: of whom is [liars]; Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resrrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some." 2Timothy 2:16-18

“Become Love!”

Nowhere/Now here

#7 May 26, 2009
FAITH IS GOLDEN:

Greetings, salutaions and shalom.

It was decided among a few of us that we should dedicate a thread to discussing and learning the book of Revelation, hence the name of the thread "Apokalypsis." I felt that it would only be proper to begin from the very term and its definition, then, we can go into the very book itself.

We decided this because, in the thread we are in, there are already 2 to 3 topics being discussed. We thought it would be best to separate this topic and not "crowd" the thread with more than what was being discussed already.

Feel free to share any comments, or revelations, that you have concerning this topic, please.

May the shalom of our 'Elohiym be with you always.

“Become Love!”

Nowhere/Now here

#8 May 26, 2009
Kensey wrote:
Hello Im here...:)
Hi to you too Faith, a few of us decided in another thread that we would like to discuss the Book of Rev. to help us understand it more...your welcome to join us.:) The more the merrier
There you are! Great! Let's get this party started! As you can see, I've already started.

I was thinking, too. I'll wait to ask the others, too, but do you think it's better to go verse by verse, chapter by chapter, or should we discuss, first, the questions that we might already have concerning particular scriptures. Then, once these get answered, we can get into the "verse by verse, chapter by chapter" thing. It matters not to me.

Sheridan, AR

#9 May 26, 2009
Wont that be great to not be bound by time..
Not to have to worry any more about anything..:)
To live our days in harmony and love ..everyone in tune with one another..no separation..

Sheridan, AR

#10 May 26, 2009
Brother Lee Love wrote:
<quoted text>There you are! Great! Let's get this party started! As you can see, I've already started.
I was thinking, too. I'll wait to ask the others, too, but do you think it's better to go verse by verse, chapter by chapter, or should we discuss, first, the questions that we might already have concerning particular scriptures. Then, once these get answered, we can get into the "verse by verse, chapter by chapter" thing. It matters not to me.
Hello Bro..I think verse by verse so we dont get off on other subjects before we are finished with one..:) If that is ok with everyone else.

Sheridan, AR

#11 May 26, 2009
I have to go pick the kids up from school..but I will be back. :)

“Become Love!”

Nowhere/Now here

#12 May 26, 2009
I almost forgot!

Should we introduce each other first for those that don't know who we are?

I'll go first.

Hi. My name is "Brother Lee Love" and I'm a "God"-oholic. I'm, currently, not seeking counseling, nor rehabilitation to become "clean" of my addiction. I hope never to be "cleansed" of my addiction. I'm proud of my addiction.

Okay...okay...I got the "jest" out of me. Back to the topic (for me, anyway).

Sheridan, AR

#13 May 26, 2009
My name is Kensey...and Im a God-oholic..I will take my addiction to the grave and beyond. I am also proud to even be considered a God-oholic..

hehe..have to say I got a *giggle* out of your post..
Some Dude

Youngwood, PA

#14 May 26, 2009
Revelations was written by John on the Island of Patmos. Otherwise known as 'John the Revelator'. Most scholars agree that it is John, one of the twelve desciples of Jesus Christ, but some scholars believe him to be a different 'John'.
I do believe it was the former, one of the twelve.
Hart Westford

West Hartford, CT

#15 May 26, 2009
Someone tell me this:

Do you see the book of Revelation as

A] God's literal truth about the "End Times" or as

B] God's apocalyptic literary allegory full of symbolism and numerology, or as

C] the ravings of a borderline psychotic preacher who was obsessed with judgement and vengeance on the Roman persecutors ?
Some Dude

Youngwood, PA

#16 May 26, 2009
I guess I should introduce myself, I'm just Some Dude who believes that Jesus Christ, was born of a virgin, and who lived a sin-free life. And He was crucified by the Romans at the behest of the pharisees.

I believe that He gave His life as a ransom for many, all who would accept His meritorious work at the cross for the redemption of mankind. And I know that I'm saved because I've repented of my sins (and still do,because the more He is known in my heart, the more wretched I realize I am and how much I need Him) and given myself to Him, through prayer and study of Gods word, The Bible.

Sheridan, AR

#17 May 26, 2009
Some Dude wrote:
Revelations was written by John on the Island of Patmos. Otherwise known as 'John the Revelator'. Most scholars agree that it is John, one of the twelve desciples of Jesus Christ, but some scholars believe him to be a different 'John'.
I do believe it was the former, one of the twelve.
I believe this to dude..
Hart Westford

West Hartford, CT

#18 May 26, 2009
Hart Westford wrote:
Someone tell me this:
Do you see the book of Revelation as
A] God's literal truth about the "End Times" or as
B] God's apocalyptic literary allegory full of symbolism and numerology, or as
C] the ravings of a borderline psychotic preacher who was obsessed with judgement and vengeance on the Roman persecutors ?
Sorry - forgot to introduce myself.

I'm just a well-intentioned soul who believes that there are many paths to truth and that we are ALL basically good at heart.

“Become Love!”

Nowhere/Now here

#19 May 26, 2009
SOME DUDE and HART WESTFORD:

Greetings, salutations and shalom to the both of you.

First, I believe that most, if not all, "scholars" these days agree that the writer of the book of Revelation is, indeed, the apostle John, the same that wrote the gospel account by the same name. I believe this, too. What many overlook is the reason that John was on this isle called Patmos. John wrote that he was imprisoned on this island "for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ." Of a surety, he was more than prepared for such things as the disciples were warned, "Through many tribulations we must enter into the kingdom of God."

I, personally, believe that the book called Revelation is "A," "B" and "C," but "C," only partially. I'm sure that John, empowered with the Holy Spirit, knew very well that the "end times" began at Christ's ascension and would continue into and age past his own. I'm sure that John also knew (by revelation) that the beast with 7 heads and 10 horns was not the Roman Empire because, even then, it was known that not every "land" was ruled by the Roman Empire. In other words, they, by knowledge of the Spirit, would've known that Rome was not the only "known" world of their generation, although it might have been seen that way by many.
Listen To This

Tucson, AZ

#20 May 26, 2009
Hello, everyone, I'm "Listen to This: Someone Who Loves Jesus," because He first loved me. And Brother Lee, thank you so much for doing this, as I know you must be very busy. God bless you for all you do "as unto the Lord." This is one thing I've been interested in getting into since I don't know when. Our church hasn't done it yet; study the book of Revelation like this. They want to, but have not yet done so. Thank God for this thread. Please, let's do study this one verse at a time--so I agree with Kensey here. God be with us and help us all and give us understanding of your Holy word and your Holy will, in Jesus's name I ask, amen.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 57
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 6 min waaasssuuup 8,090
4,70,000 errors, mistakes, contradictions in bible 15 min 15th Dalai Lama 431
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) 50 min barry 84,405
Here is My Spiritual Dilemma ... 53 min janeebee 102
News Religion, higher education and critical thinking 1 hr dollarsbill 118
as a fellow christian can i ask 4 hr Jeremiah_one 35
White People are the Beast of the Field in the ... 5 hr Sceptical_Mal 6
More from around the web