LowellGuy

Lowell, MA

#11799 Jan 26, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Nah.... we were in some sort of you go first thing, Science v GOD, but it stopped I think.
Just some stuff that the scientists have been up to.... you know, that killer way they have of learning and using us as guinea pigs??
Still can't find anything that increased our knowledge about the universe, medicine, or technology that has come about due to the Bible or God magic, eh? An honest person would concede defeat, even if it's before he's even begun.
LowellGuy

Lowell, MA

#11800 Jan 26, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>You're not listening LOL.... your eyes might be seeing the words but your brain aint saying hello to them :) Go and debate it with the scientists and get them to change their minds, but for now, you better run with 'em, otherwise you are putting points against your own side!!
***‘It had long been suspected that the egg came first but now we have the scientific proof that shows that in fact the chicken came first,’ said Dr Colin Freeman, from Sheffield University, who worked with counterparts at Warwick University.‘The protein had been identified before and it was linked to egg formation but by examining it closely we have been able to see how it controls the process,’ he added.
The protein – called ovocledidin-17 (OC-17)– acts as a catalyst to speed up the development of the shell. Scientists used a super computer called HECToR, based in Edinburgh, to ‘zoom in’ on the formation of an egg. It showed OC-17 was crucial in kick-starting crystallisation – the early stages of forming a shell. The protein coverts calcium carbonate into calcite crystals which makes up the egg shell, creating six grammes of shell every 24 hours.
Prof John Harding, also of Sheffield University, said the discovery could have other uses.‘Understanding how chickens make shells is fascinating in itself but can also give clues towards designing new materials,’ he said.”
http://derrenbrown.co.uk/the-chicken-egg-scie... ***
Clearly you don't understand the metaphorical nature of the story. Your stupidity is not my shortcoming.

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#11801 Jan 26, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Nah.... we were in some sort of you go first thing, Science v GOD, but it stopped I think.
Just some stuff that the scientists have been up to.... you know, that killer way they have of learning and using us as guinea pigs??
I guess if you're stupid enough to think Noah's Flood really happened you're just what the doctor ordered.

“Wear white at night.”

Albuquerque

#11802 Jan 26, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Still can't find anything that increased our knowledge about the universe, medicine, or technology that has come about due to the Bible or God magic, eh? An honest person would concede defeat, even if it's before he's even begun.
Hey, Lowell.

I guess this is as good a time as any to point out that today's second reading is from 1 Corinthians; Biblical anatomy in a nutshell.

"Now the body is not a single part, but many.
If a foot should say,
“Because I am not a hand I do not belong to the body,
“it does not for this reason belong any less to the body.
Or if an ear should say,
“Because I am not an eye I do not belong to the body,“
it does not for this reason belong any less to the body.
If the whole body were an eye, where would the hearing be?
If the whole body were hearing, where would the sense of smell be?
But as it is, God placed the parts,
each one of them, in the body as he intended.
If they were all one part, where would the body be?
But as it is, there are many parts, yet one body.
The eye cannot say to the hand,“I do not need you,“
nor again the head to the feet,“I do not need you.”
Indeed, the parts of the body that seem to be weaker
are all the more necessary,
and those parts of the body that we consider less honorable
we surround with greater honor,
and our less presentable parts are treated with greater propriety,
whereas our more presentable parts do not need this."

I can't for the life of me fathom why Paul felt obliged to write down all that gibberish but he did and we're stuck with it.
Kelvo

Europe

#11803 Jan 26, 2013
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess if you're stupid enough to think Noah's Flood really happened you're just what the doctor ordered.
Explain how believing in the flood shows stupidity?

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#11805 Jan 26, 2013
Kelvo wrote:
<quoted text>Explain how believing in the flood shows stupidity?
I wasn't going to bother replying to the last couple of postings.... but agree with your question :)

Since: Aug 08

Somewhere in Ireland

#11806 Jan 26, 2013
Kelvo wrote:
The fact that you don't know why shows it!
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#11807 Jan 27, 2013
Hard to believe, but you get dumber.
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Regardless of the origin, the egg couldn't have come first, according to the scientists of today. Tomorrow, they'll probably change their minds LOL
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#11808 Jan 27, 2013
Exhibit A.
Kelvo wrote:

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#11809 Jan 27, 2013
Kelvo wrote:
Zero evidence supporting, huge quantities of evidence contradicting, and the only reason to accept such a claim is because it appears in someone's favorite holy book.
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#11810 Jan 27, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Zero evidence supporting, huge quantities of evidence contradicting, and the only reason to accept such a claim is because it appears in someone's favorite holy book.
And the only reason you accept a claim is because some guy in a white coat says so.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#11811 Jan 27, 2013
Your white coat buckles up at the back.
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
And the only reason you accept a claim is because some guy in a white coat says so.
LowellGuy

Lowell, MA

#11812 Jan 27, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
We can see the evidence. We can run the tests. There is cutthroat competition to tear apart the work of peers. If something survives peer review and the evidence confirms it consistently, it is accepted.

What, exactly, are your criteria for accepting the outrageous claims your holy book makes?

Science produces useful results and greater understanding about how the universe works. Belief in God has never done this, nor can it.

“It's all in your head”

Since: Dec 12

Austin, TX

#11813 Jan 27, 2013
The egg came first because from it hatches a slightly more evolved chicken.
LowellGuy

Lowell, MA

#11814 Jan 29, 2013
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, Lowell.
I guess this is as good a time as any to point out that today's second reading is from 1 Corinthians; Biblical anatomy in a nutshell.
"Now the body is not a single part, but many.
If a foot should say,
“Because I am not a hand I do not belong to the body,
“it does not for this reason belong any less to the body.
Or if an ear should say,
“Because I am not an eye I do not belong to the body,“
it does not for this reason belong any less to the body.
If the whole body were an eye, where would the hearing be?
If the whole body were hearing, where would the sense of smell be?
But as it is, God placed the parts,
each one of them, in the body as he intended.
If they were all one part, where would the body be?
But as it is, there are many parts, yet one body.
The eye cannot say to the hand,“I do not need you,“
nor again the head to the feet,“I do not need you.”
Indeed, the parts of the body that seem to be weaker
are all the more necessary,
and those parts of the body that we consider less honorable
we surround with greater honor,
and our less presentable parts are treated with greater propriety,
whereas our more presentable parts do not need this."
I can't for the life of me fathom why Paul felt obliged to write down all that gibberish but he did and we're stuck with it.
Shoulda asked earlier...how does all of that reconcile with Adam and Eve pre- and post-knowledge?
fogn

Rochester, PA

#11815 Jan 30, 2013
LowellGuy

Lowell, MA

#11817 Feb 5, 2013
Yep...Jeffypoo couldn't combat the logic, so he's permanently abandoned this thread. Working on driving him from the "will gay marriage pit..." thread. Logic vs. fundies is the most lopsided battle.

“Wear white at night.”

Albuquerque

#11818 Feb 5, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
Yep...Jeffypoo couldn't combat the logic, so he's permanently abandoned this thread. Working on driving him from the "will gay marriage pit..." thread. Logic vs. fundies is the most lopsided battle.
Hey, Lowell, how you doing? Tuesday evening is 'El Grupo'. I call it the tent revival. Last week Pancha was praying over me in tongues. No joke. I have enough trouble keeping up with the Spanish.

God bless you.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#11819 Feb 5, 2013
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, Lowell, how you doing? Tuesday evening is 'El Grupo'. I call it the tent revival. Last week Pancha was praying over me in tongues. No joke. I have enough trouble keeping up with the Spanish.
God bless you.
Suggestion: flour tortilla, lightly heated to soften. Heat refried beans and spread on the tortilla. Add salsa, shredded cheddar cheese, jalapenos (fresh, if you've got a pair), shredded lettuce, maybe a little sour cream if you're into that. Roll it up, and eat that bad boy with some nice cold beer, preferably something light, like a Sam Summer or a Blue Moon. What could be better?

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#11821 Feb 5, 2013
justawounderin wrote:
Does a rational belief in God have any merit? A belief in God based on reason rather than revelation and involving the view that God has set the universe in motion but does not interfere with how it runs. This is called Deism and was especially influential in the 17th and 18th centuries in the US & UK. It is a perspective based on reason & knowledge as apposed to religious belief from so called ancient sacred text written by people that thought the earth was flat and that stars could fall to earth.
The ONLY relationship with God is absolute surrender. You are in no position to bargain. You're facing the eternal fire.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is Paul a false Apostle? (Sep '13) 5 min dollarsbill 1,864
Is the Bible always literally true or correct? (Jun '14) 7 min PrinceofDarkness 4,701
what evil? 7 min Believer 2
Let's talk about God's definition of love 7 min dollarsbill 441
The Dumbest Creationist on Earth 10 min dollarsbill 114
Evolution or Creation? 20 min Believer 1
What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) 20 min Swedenforever 83,884
Why doesn't God let its believers know who has ... 27 min dollarsbill 573
Cookie's Place (Oct '13) 1 hr purplelady1040 17,232