Will a Christian answer this rational...

“Jesus=only way into Heaven”

Since: Nov 12

saved by grace through faith

#11377 Jan 12, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Let’s examine a couple of your points. Take Jesus’ command not to judge in Matthew 7:1 and Luke 6:37. The judgment that Jesus is referring is not a prohibition against all types of judging. Further on in verse 15-20 we are to judge to fulfill this command. See also John 7:24. The kind of judging we are not to do is a hypercritical, self-righteous and unfair judging. Atheism as a belief-nonbelief is an affront against God since it denies His very existence. Those who embrace it are in rebellion against God Himself and it must be exposed for the lie it is.
Your claim that “Christians are not supposed to plan or prepare. God will provide (“Take no thought for your life,..” shows a shallow understanding of what Jesus taught. If someone is trying to “screw their employees so they can reap more profits” then that is sin. Anyone who claims that Christ taught this kind of thing is deliberating abusing His teachings.
Amen! Great post!

The "judge not" scripture gets used and taken out of context constantly by those who have no understanding of the biblical meaning behind it. Jesus tells us to first take the plank (beam) out of our eye, THEN we are able to take the speck out our brother's eye. It means...don't be a hypocrite.
----------
Christians are supposed to use the Word of God to correct, rebuke, exhort, instruct....etc.

2 Timothy 3:16- All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

2 Timothy 4:2- Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine.

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#11378 Jan 12, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Let’s examine a couple of your points. Take Jesus’ command not to judge in Matthew 7:1 and Luke 6:37. The judgment that Jesus is referring is not a prohibition against all types of judging. Further on in verse 15-20 we are to judge to fulfill this command. See also John 7:24. The kind of judging we are not to do is a hypercritical, self-righteous and unfair judging. Atheism as a belief-nonbelief is an affront against God since it denies His very existence. Those who embrace it are in rebellion against God Himself and it must be exposed for the lie it is.
Your claim that “Christians are not supposed to plan or prepare. God will provide (“Take no thought for your life,..” shows a shallow understanding of what Jesus taught. If someone is trying to “screw their employees so they can reap more profits” then that is sin. Anyone who claims that Christ taught this kind of thing is deliberating abusing His teachings.
Ya know the author of the link clearly stated that there would be Christians who would deny these contradictions and you did!!!

I didn't WRITE or STATE anything about Christians......the author of the article did......try grasping that concept!!!

#11379 Jan 12, 2013
Jeff wrote:
BTW- evilbible.com is a rubbish dump. Bad place to go to understand the Bible.
Actually, it's not a bad site.....just one you don't agree with, but the top part of my post came from a different site.......so, you obviously have a reading comprehension issue as well.
LowellGuy

Haverhill, MA

#11380 Jan 12, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets apply it to atheism. Atheism is making an implicit claim that God does not exist. It is not merely lack of belief in God.
False. What you are describing is gnostic atheism.

Observe: if you have not been shown evidence that bigfoot exists, are you declaring that bigfoots don't exist? Of course not. The wise man awaits evidence before accepting a claim.

If someone makes a positive claim ("God exists" and "God does not exist" are both positive claims), evidence must be presented or the claim can be dismissed without evidence. Dismissing, or rejecting, the claim is not the same as asserting the contrapositive. That is, if I reject yourclaim that God exists based on your inability to present any evidence supporting that claim, I have not, then, made the claim that God does not exist. See also: the Glenn Beck child eape/murder thing. See also: innocent vs. not guilty. If you can't from this basic distinction, you are entirely too stupid to be allowed to breed. Do you recognize this distinction?

More later.

#11381 Jan 12, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen! Great post!
The "judge not" scripture gets used and taken out of context constantly by those who have no understanding of the biblical meaning behind it. Jesus tells us to first take the plank (beam) out of our eye, THEN we are able to take the speck out our brother's eye. It means...don't be a hypocrite.
You've been given many scriptures tonight that clearly show contradictions.......and I'm certain you can explain them.....but the poster you are giving High Fives to is also the same poster who doesn't follow the whole bible, just those scriptures that they feel apply to them.....but what's a little hypocrisy between fake Christians, right?

Somewhere in Ireland

#11382 Jan 12, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. It was the final judgment against them because they refused to repent of their evil.
But you said, "I'm not making any excuses for rape, murder, genocide, and slavery. These are things are done by men and were never commanded by God"
The word never obviously has a different meaning for you than it has for me. What about 1 Sammuel 6:19 where it says your god killed 50,070 men just for looking at the ark. Mind you, they must have been as stupid as it is possible to get, you would think that with that amount of dead bodies piling up that someone would have got the message way before it hit the 50,000 mark. Anyway, it's just another example of your god "never" murdering people!

John from Texas

“It's all in your head”

Since: Dec 12

Del Valle, TX

#11383 Jan 12, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW- evilbible.com is a rubbish dump. Bad place to go to understand the Bible.
Let's examine your logic......

Done!
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#11384 Jan 12, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya know the author of the link clearly stated that there would be Christians who would deny these contradictions and you did!!!
I didn't WRITE or STATE anything about Christians......the author of the article did......try grasping that concept!!!
Get serious. The so called "editor" of evilbible.com does not give what his-her credentials are. Is this a person who has a degree in languages or history of the Bible? Awhile back I when I went to this site to check it said nothing about this. If the person does not have some kind of degree in the Bible why would you read the junk on this site?

If you are going to bring charge against the Bible that it has contradictions make sure you know what a contradiction is. I have studied the Bible for years and every time someone says there is a contradiction and I checked it out there is none when you consider the contexts and word meanings. Tell you what: find what you think is a contradiction then we can discuss it. If there is, then I will admit to it if it can be shown to be.
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#11385 Jan 12, 2013
par five wrote:
<quoted text>
But you said, "I'm not making any excuses for rape, murder, genocide, and slavery. These are things are done by men and were never commanded by God"
The word never obviously has a different meaning for you than it has for me. What about 1 Sammuel 6:19 where it says your god killed 50,070 men just for looking at the ark. Mind you, they must have been as stupid as it is possible to get, you would think that with that amount of dead bodies piling up that someone would have got the message way before it hit the 50,000 mark. Anyway, it's just another example of your god "never" murdering people!
When God takes the life of a man, it is not murder. To look into the ark was forbidden and it was a sign of disrespect. The actually desecrated the ark by opening it and the way it was transported. The Mosaic law was very specific how this was to be done.

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#11387 Jan 12, 2013
madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
This command didn't come from God?:
Deut. 20
16] But of those cities that shall be given thee, thou shalt suffer none at all to live:[17] But shalt kill them with the edge of the sword, to wit, the Hethite, and the Amorrhite, and the Chanaanite, the Pherezite, and the Hevite, and the Jebusite, as the Lord thy God hath commanded thee:[18] Lest they teach you to do all the abominations which they have done to their gods: and you should sin against the Lord your God.
You need to understand the man(kind) concept written in that which is Prophesied by GOD; Thou shalt not Kill. GOD gave us 10 Statutes, and killing is one of them. Why would GOD write against HIMSELF when HE gives only 10 Statutes? Doesn't make sense, really, do you think?

#11388 Jan 12, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
It doesn't matter if Abraham was stopped; he was fully committed to killing his own son as he had been commanded to do by his God. The order was given, and he was convinced, so he was actually going to kill his son. If people are willing to kill their own children over their religious beliefs, where is the line?
So, just to be clear: a guy in convinced that God has commanded him to kill his own son, with the promise of great rewards, and he's a hero. A guy is convinced that God has commanded him to rape and kill infants, with the promise of great rewards, and he's sick in the head. The distinction isn't to be drawn by the results, but by the conviction. There is no distinction.
By the way, God also accepted infanticidal sacrifices in exchange for favors. What do you call someone who does that? The ultimate moral authority? When, exactly, is human sacrifice wrong?
You don't get it do you? GOD needed someone with such strong faith that he would go the the Pharaohs and demand them to release the Children of GOD. If one had half baked beliefs, would he for one, have had the courage to go, and for two, pull it off?

Nah, he wouldn't have. And if you doubt about Abraham, why did they stop building Pyramids? They have said Pyramids will outlast man(kind) and yet we know longer build them. Surely you have questioned whey they are no longer being built?!

But if you have doubts about Abraham's Faith and having courage to go to the Pharaoh, just think about being stoned to death. And if you have doubts whether Abraham was justified in thinking he would have been stoned to death going to the Pharaoh and telling him to release the Children of GOD, Google stonings of today. That should let you know it was not a figment of an old imagination, unless you think yourself are imagining that which happens today.

#11389 Jan 12, 2013
John from Texas wrote:
<quoted text>
Done!
Let's examination your comprehension; "What?".....

Done!

Somewhere in Ireland

#11390 Jan 12, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
When God takes the life of a man, it is not murder. To look into the ark was forbidden and it was a sign of disrespect. The actually desecrated the ark by opening it and the way it was transported. The Mosaic law was very specific how this was to be done.
I knew that would be your answer, your god could fornicate with your mother and then kill her and that would be just fine by you. I don't mean that as any disrepect to your mother, only to show the kind of mindset you fundies have when it comes to the atrocities attributed to the biblical god. The yarn about over 50,000 people being killed for looking into the ark is just ridiculous. Imagine climbing over thousands of bodies to peek into the ark when you knew that every body you climbed over was dead because they looked into the ark.
Then you have poor old Uzzah, killed by god because he reached out and touched the ark to steady it and stop it from falling when the ox stumbled.
This of course raises the question. How did they get the ark on to the cart in the first place without touching it and risk death? Ridiculous stories, ridiculous beliefs!

John from Texas

“It's all in your head”

Del Valle, TX

#11391 Jan 12, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Let's examination your comprehension; "What?".....
Done!
Now that's clever!

#11392 Jan 12, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Get serious. The so called "editor" of evilbible.com does not give what his-her credentials are. Is this a person who has a degree in languages or history of the Bible? Awhile back I when I went to this site to check it said nothing about this. If the person does not have some kind of degree in the Bible why would you read the junk on this site?
If you are going to bring charge against the Bible that it has contradictions make sure you know what a contradiction is. I have studied the Bible for years and every time someone says there is a contradiction and I checked it out there is none when you consider the contexts and word meanings. Tell you what: find what you think is a contradiction then we can discuss it. If there is, then I will admit to it if it can be shown to be.
Have you given your credentials? I don't remember seeing where you theology studies were done at.....but yet you claim that you have a better understanding than someone else......interesting. I guess if you look here you might find what you are looking for:
http://www.evilbible.com/about_evil_bible.htm

This was the site I used in the first half of my post:
http://ffrf.org/legacy/books/lfif/...

Here is the link about this organization:
http://ffrf.org/about

I'm certain with your Biblical Scholastic behind you, along with your formal degrees that they will take what you say and use it.

Look, I've got 3 degrees under me......my last is in Education and is my Masters and I have lots of common sense, but unlike you, I don't call every website as garbage and trust me, there are plenty.......and ones I won't even look at, but there are many I do feel are good enough to use.....like these ones:
http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/

http://www.religioustolerance.org/aboutus.htm

http://www.gaychristian101.com/index.html

John from Texas

“It's all in your head”

Del Valle, TX

#11393 Jan 12, 2013
par five wrote:
<quoted text>
I knew that would be your answer, your god could fornicate with your mother and then kill her and that would be just fine by you. I don't mean that as any disrepect to your mother, only to show the kind of mindset you fundies have when it comes to the atrocities attributed to the biblical god. The yarn about over 50,000 people being killed for looking into the ark is just ridiculous. Imagine climbing over thousands of bodies to peek into the ark when you knew that every body you climbed over was dead because they looked into the ark.
Then you have poor old Uzzah, killed by god because he reached out and touched the ark to steady it and stop it from falling when the ox stumbled.
This of course raises the question. How did they get the ark on to the cart in the first place without touching it and risk death? Ridiculous stories, ridiculous beliefs!
You mean there was no ark and Jeff is full of bullshit?

#11394 Jan 13, 2013
madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
Circles are flat.
***How round is your circle? seems like a very strange question. To an engineer however, every physical object is only an approximation to a geometric ideal. Hopefully, this has been manufactured to a specified tolerance. Round parts are particularly important, and the task now is to assess departure from roundness.

http://www.howround.com/ ***

Circles are round.......

#11395 Jan 13, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>
***How round is your circle? seems like a very strange question. To an engineer however, every physical object is only an approximation to a geometric ideal. Hopefully, this has been manufactured to a specified tolerance. Round parts are particularly important, and the task now is to assess departure from roundness.
http://www.howround.com/ ***
Circles are round.......
Circles are round......Spheres are not because they are a 3D object, where a circle is only a 2D object!!!

Since: Sep 08

Anderson, IN

#11396 Jan 13, 2013
John from Texas wrote:
<quoted text>
Done!
ROFLMAO!!!

Since: Sep 08

Anderson, IN

#11397 Jan 13, 2013
John from Texas wrote:
<quoted text>
Now that's clever!
Or stolen from a brilliant person which could be flattering..or mocking...hhhmmmmm time will tell.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A look at your future in our Godless legal system 1 hr Hardcore 88
Evidence Against God 1 hr Jesus Is 702
Poll The Greatest Threat to America's Security 2 hr Osmius 3,125
is it me or who else can see demons and angels ? (Nov '11) 3 hr Katie 260
WHICH of the 3 ACCOUNTS IS CORRECT????? 4 hr sciencewillwin 211
Nutter alert - headteacher claims Evolution is ... 4 hr sciencewillwin 78
Justification By Faith! 4 hr sciencewillwin 93
News Religion, higher education and critical thinking 6 hr sciencewillwin 5,775
More from around the web