Will a Christian answer this rational...

“Darwin died for your sins”

Since: Aug 08

Nunya

#10907 Jan 3, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
If people "do good because it's the right thing to do" then why are our prisons filled to the brim and so much money is lost by businesses every year due to theft? If people "do good because it's the right thing to do" then why are there so many divorces and broken homes? If people "do good because it's the right thing to do" then why are over 1 million abortions a year?
Why are you conflating things that have nothing to do with each other?

Maybe I should have been a little more specific. Good people do good things.

Yet none of that deals with the Euthyphro dilemna I presented to you. Care to address that?

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#10908 Jan 3, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Why not? Why would God let Adam give his companion the name of Eve.......but God didn't fit to give man a name? Interesting......so, where did Adam get his name from?
Adam isn't really his name. It means 'man'. Modern Bibles of any ingetrity translate it as such. Mine says 'hombre'. Eve apparently means 'life' and this is pointed out in Genesis 3:20.

Genesis 1, KJV, translates ha-adam as 'the man' but in Genesis 2 translates it as 'Adam'.
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#10909 Jan 3, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Why not? Why would God let Adam give his companion the name of Eve.......but God didn't fit to give man a name? Interesting......so, where did Adam get his name from?
We don't know. Genesis is not an exhaustive account of everything that happened. Either Adam came up with this name or God did or Eve.

“The Topix Legend of "GS8"!”

Since: Sep 10

Yunited States, North America

#10910 Jan 3, 2013
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
Adam isn't really his name. It means 'man'. Modern Bibles of any ingetrity translate it as such. Mine says 'hombre'. Eve apparently means 'life' and this is pointed out in Genesis 3:20.
Genesis 1, KJV, translates ha-adam as 'the man' but in Genesis 2 translates it as 'Adam'.
I learn something new every day. Thank you 15th.
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#10911 Jan 3, 2013
madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you conflating things that have nothing to do with each other?
Maybe I should have been a little more specific. Good people do good things.
Yet none of that deals with the Euthyphro dilemna I presented to you. Care to address that?
I was addressing your claim that people are not as good as you claim. If they were, the world would not be so messed up. Some people do some good while other do more evil than good.
There is a third option to the dilemma and that is goodness is rooted in the very nature of God. God commands what is in harmony with His nature.

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#10912 Jan 3, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
The sheep are saved Christians (saved by grace through faith in the shed blood of Jesus....which always results in good works)
The goats are unsaved (good works alone can never save a person)
==========
The bible teaches us that even our best works are as filthy rags in the eyes of a Holy God.
Isaiah 64:6- But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.
Isaiah 57:12- I will declare thy righteousness, and thy works; for they shall not profit thee.
==========
sheep= John 5:24- Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth My word, and believeth on Him that sent Me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
goats= John 8:24- I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am He, ye shall die in your sins.
==========
That's the problem with the Bible. It says one thing in one place and something entirely different somewhere else.

It seems appropriate that leading a good and honest life would be rewarded but you seem to have decided believing unbelievable stuff is the only path to reward.
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#10913 Jan 3, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
Fundies often make that claim, but you play the same game, just on a different field. How do you know what is right or wrong? Because the buy-bull says so? Should we torture people to death for working on Saturdays? Kill women who are raped, for being raped?
I know right and wrong in 2 ways. One by conscience (which is fallible) and two, by Scripture (which is infallible). You really should study the Bible before you make stupid statements about it.
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#10914 Jan 3, 2013
Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus says explicitly why the sheep are sheep and the goat goats in this passage.
And it has to do with selflessly doing good (altruism) without hope of reward or to lease an overbearing God.
Warren Buffet and BIll Gates would be sheep here and be led off into eternal life!
No they would not. How can Gates and Buffet be sheep when Jesus Himself said that His sheep hear His voice? How can someone who denies Christ hear His voice?

Nunya

#10915 Jan 3, 2013
Jeff wrote:
I was addressing your claim that people are not as good as you claim.
I never made that claim. As I made clear in my second post, good people do good things.
Jeff wrote:
Some people do some good while other do more evil than good.
Sure but do good people do bad things sometimes? And vice versa.
Jeff wrote:
There is a third option to the dilemma and that is goodness is rooted in the very nature of God. God commands what is in harmony with His nature.
I think you misunderstand the dilemna. Is morality good because it just is and God just reminds you? Or is it good because God commands it?

Nunya

#10916 Jan 3, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
I know right and wrong in 2 ways. One by conscience (which is fallible) and two, by Scripture (which is infallible). You really should study the Bible before you make stupid statements about it.
So why don't you stone people that work on the sabbath?
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#10917 Jan 3, 2013
madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
So why don't you stone people that work on the sabbath?
That was a law meant for the ancient Israelite'. No different than laws in England are not binding on us in America.

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#10918 Jan 3, 2013
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Dali......I was checking it out in both my bible and an online site.......In my King James Version, it states in Genesis 5:2, that God made them male and female and named called them Adam. The online site states that God called them both Adam!!!
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#10919 Jan 3, 2013
madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
I never made that claim. As I made clear in my second post, good people do good things.
<quoted text>
Sure but do good people do bad things sometimes? And vice versa.
<quoted text>
I think you misunderstand the dilemna. Is morality good because it just is and God just reminds you? Or is it good because God commands it?
The dilemna is not sound because it does not allow for the 3rd alternative I gave.
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#10920 Jan 3, 2013
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the problem with the Bible. It says one thing in one place and something entirely different somewhere else.
It seems appropriate that leading a good and honest life would be rewarded but you seem to have decided believing unbelievable stuff is the only path to reward.
You should not be commenting on things you don't understand.

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#10921 Jan 3, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
We don't know. Genesis is not an exhaustive account of everything that happened. Either Adam came up with this name or God did or Eve.
If Genesis is NOT an exhaustive account of everything that happened, then how can it be used to make the claims you have made? See, now you're tripping yourself up........and to just make up who named Adam is truly funny!!!

Nunya

#10922 Jan 3, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
The dilemna is not sound because it does not allow for the 3rd alternative I gave.
Your alternative doesn't address the dilemna. You just made up something you like and applied it where it doesn't fit.
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#10923 Jan 3, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
If Genesis is NOT an exhaustive account of everything that happened, then how can it be used to make the claims you have made? See, now you're tripping yourself up........and to just make up who named Adam is truly funny!!!
There is no such thing as exhaustive knowledge for anything. Scientists and historians make claims all the time on far less than exhaustive knowledge. Are they tripping themselves up?

Nunya

#10924 Jan 3, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no such thing as exhaustive knowledge for anything. Scientists and historians make claims all the time on far less than exhaustive knowledge. Are they tripping themselves up?
Big difference, they back them up with evidence.

Nunya

#10925 Jan 3, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
That was a law meant for the ancient Israelite'. No different than laws in England are not binding on us in America.
Really? So the ten commandments don't apply to christians?
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#10926 Jan 3, 2013
madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
Big difference, they back them up with evidence.
What is the evidence for the origin of life?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why did Christ come to Earth? (Oct '16) 1 hr Here For Now 1,186
The False Teachings of the Hebrew Israelites, s... (Jan '14) 1 hr RiccardoFire 1,949
breath of god, and how we come to light. 1 hr Here For Now 98
"The love of many shall wax cold." It's REAL m... 3 hr Big Al 2
Are Your Beliefs TRUE? 4 hr Big Al 262
Early Christianity (Dec '16) 17 hr Seentheotherside 2,632
The truth is difficult, I understand. 18 hr Jake999 173
More from around the web