Will a Christian answer this rational...
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#10643 Dec 31, 2012
Punisher wrote:
<quoted text>So should we rely on the early stories that Xtians were engaged in cannibalism and orgies in their Agape feast gatherings? Those much be accurate? As well as Xtians stealing Jewish babies for their rituals.(stories which were in turn used by Xtians to later persecute the Jews with)
We have hard proof of such stories being circulated, they must be true.
What I showed is your requirement for a common soldier to write down what he saw while guarding the tomb is not common among soldiers in this period. Who knows, maybe some of them did but we don't have their records. It sure would be of great interest to see what they wrote.
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#10644 Dec 31, 2012
Punisher wrote:
<quoted text>Dont make stuff up to pad your silly arguments. Who says the guards even cared? Do we know anything about them? No.
They could have been bribed...soldiers have been known to take a bribe, yes?
What did they care? For all we know Mary and the girls distracted the guards with their feminine wiles...
We know nothing of the details...so dont make stuff up.
Dying for shyte is not proof of anything, least of magical. People die for ideals all the time. Can you produce a Thing called Democracy? Can we hold it in our hands? Do we not all have differing POV's on what it is, and how it should manifest? Which form of Democracy did white soldiers die for in WW2? The one where blacks were still inferiors? Some did, others did not. Yet that form still existed when they all got home. Did the black soldiers die for that version?
Plus in the early days we KNOW for a FACT Xtians thought the end was very near anyway...so their death was either now for their beliefs or in a little while...either way they were dying soon.
I'm not making up anything but going by the written records that we have about the resurrection.
True. Dying for something does not make that thing true. What it does show is conviction about what they believed to be true. We know the resurrection is true because we have eyewitness accounts that tells us the Christ rose from the dead.
It might be true that they thought Christ was going to return soon. However, it appears that they saw the necessity to write it down either because they knew the apostles would eventually die as the eyewitnesses would. It also would make sense to write it down so that it could be passed on to a wider audience. We know this did happen and the message was copied and passed on. Its quite amazing how this worked out. Nothing like this has ever happened in history.
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#10645 Dec 31, 2012
Punisher wrote:
<quoted text>Ive always questioned this story.
Why did the Romans care to put guards on the tomb, when Jesus' followers had already high-tailed it into hiding? Who was left to worry about? A girlfriend, mom, a brother or two...?
Why did they even allow the body to be removed from the cross? Why would they suddenly care about any of it? Why would they go off script to appease a minor Jewish rabble-rouser? Taking it down early lends credence that maybe the few people brave enough to stick around (unlike his band of brothers, the women had the cajones all along) saw Jesus might still have been alive.??? "If we can get him down, he might survive..."
And what poor wretch of a soldier got tomb duty? Who did he/they cross (no pun intended) to get that assignment? Sounds like an assignment where alcohol would be much needed.
That Jeffy and others think there was a contingent of hardened Roman guards at the tomb (cause Rome was scared) is proof of their silliness...and willingness to make stuff up in their desperation...
It was the Jewish authorities who requested guards be put at the tomb so His disciples would come and steal the body and make it appear that He had risen from the dead. See Matt 27:62-66

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque, NM

#10646 Dec 31, 2012
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok. I'll lower the requirement for you. Give me one good reason why you think hell cannot or could not exist?
You are dumb as a sack of rocks and you think it does.

That's one good reason.
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#10647 Dec 31, 2012
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
That's why there is a decline in formalized religion because people do ask more questions with regards to the stories and all they get is some bible verse, which doesn't answer their question, but makes additional questions......I mean that was my problem and why I left formalized religion......it doesn't mean I don't have a spiritual belief in God or a Higher Power, and through research, I can understand that our world, universe is much older than just 6000 years old. Where these Christians believe that the Earth or our universe is young.....I believe that it is much older and that a day might have been like a billion years.......either way, they can't explain certain things without their precious book and I have issues with that.
Peace to you and yours.......have a Happy New Year, may it be bright and prosperous:-)
I agree in part that many leave the faith because they don't get good answers to their questions. There are many Christians who believe the universe is billions of years old and there are many who believe its much younger. Both positions require faith since they cannot be proven with absolute certainty. Christians are not just limited to the Bible. The Bible is revelation from God which is helpful to answer many questions.(This is something that unbelievers lack and it shows in their attempts to answer some very significant questions). We also use science and reason for other beliefs.
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#10648 Dec 31, 2012
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
You are dumb as a sack of rocks and you think it does.
That's one good reason.
Tell you what. Why don't you make a new years resolution to go to mass all year and not post? It would be greatly appreciated by all.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#10649 Dec 31, 2012
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok. I'll lower the requirement for you. Give me one good reason why you think hell cannot or could not exist?
Why would an all-powerful and all-loving God ever need to torture anyone, for anything and for any length of short time, not to mention endlessly for all eternity?

It just makes no sense.

A parent can punish a child briefly in order to get them to change their behavior.

But of what use to ANYBODY is eternal, never-ending torture?

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#10650 Dec 31, 2012
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove that hell i.e. eternal damnation does not exist. If you do that, then you can truly claim its a myth. If you can't do so, then I will know you are smoking peyote.
Modus tollens (logical proof) proves there is no hell or Christian god. You totally ignored the gist of my post which gave the logical proof hell and the christian god don't exist. Here it is again..

The bible says a christian believer sins just like the non-believer. Your ancient book says the non-believer goes to hell for not believing your book is true.. The sinner that believes can live his entire life stealing, murdering etc. and he goes to eternal bliss just for having faith..This is so INSANE it qualifies for logical proof..

Jeff

San Jose, CA

#10651 Dec 31, 2012
Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would an all-powerful and all-loving God ever need to torture anyone, for anything and for any length of short time, not to mention endlessly for all eternity?
It just makes no sense.
A parent can punish a child briefly in order to get them to change their behavior.
But of what use to ANYBODY is eternal, never-ending torture?
God is just and sin must be punished. Its not torture. We even have punishments for laws that are broken that are in a sense eternal. The punishment for murder is either life imprisonment or death. Neither punishment is meant to rehabilitate but are just punishment that fits the crime. So it is when it comes to crimes against a perfect and holy God.
Keep in mind that were not just talking about a couple of sins that people commit over a life time but rather thousands of sins that are committed in a life time.
Since God is in control and has power to enforce His rules what are you going to do? He has provided one way out of this dilemma. Accept it or perish. The choice is yours.
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#10652 Dec 31, 2012
justawounderin wrote:
<quoted text>
Modus tollens (logical proof) proves there is no hell or Christian god. You totally ignored the gist of my post which gave the logical proof hell and the christian god don't exist. Here it is again..
The bible says a christian believer sins just like the non-believer. Your ancient book says the non-believer goes to hell for not believing your book is true.. The sinner that believes can live his entire life stealing, murdering etc. and he goes to eternal bliss just for having faith..This is so INSANE it qualifies for logical proof..
You don't have it completely right. People don't go to hell for not "believing your book is true" but they go because of their sins.
If a person claims to believe in Christ but "live his entire life stealing, murdering etc" he shows by his actions that he really does not fully believe and has entrusted himself to Christ. He claims to believe but denies it by doing the things you mention. He is still in a state of condemnation.

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque, NM

#10653 Dec 31, 2012
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell you what. Why don't you make a new years resolution to go to mass all year and not post? It would be greatly appreciated by all.
I'm considering it. You brainless clod hoppers are the worst enemy of Christianity I've ever run across.

I would not miss you or Romans or servant or Laci or Allen or Job or Cliff or Wayne or .... one bit though I would miss the Christians and other smart people.

God help you.
servant

Itzincab, Mexico

#10654 Dec 31, 2012
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree in part that many leave the faith because they don't get good answers to their questions. There are many Christians who believe the universe is billions of years old and there are many who believe its much younger. Both positions require faith since they cannot be proven with absolute certainty. Christians are not just limited to the Bible. The Bible is revelation from God which is helpful to answer many questions.(This is something that unbelievers lack and it shows in their attempts to answer some very significant questions). We also use science and reason for other beliefs.

And fossils and dinosaur bones were put here as trick from satan. Yeah right. Maybe its not Satan. Maybe its satan using ministers (2 Corinthians 11:3----2 Corinthians 11:13-15) to spread their narrow views of the Bible in order to blind the minds of the UNBELIEVER (2 Corinthians 4:4). Anyone who thinks the earth is 6,000 years old and that satan planted fossils and dinosaur bones to trick us, literally needs their head examined and washed with the water of his Word. And don't give us that one day is like a thousand years. The creation story is a Eternal being with infinite wisdom explaining his creation story in terms that a finite minded human being can understand. Take Chapter 2 in Genesis. God's word carves out a small piece of his creation of man and expands it showing us details of the sixth day which to be far less time than it actually took. It is obvious that God is showing us that there are two different ways at looking at the story of creation.

servant

Itzincab, Mexico

#10655 Dec 31, 2012
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
There are many Christians who believe the universe is billions of years old and there are many who believe its much younger.

Don't worry my post wasn't for you. I wrote that just incase someone tried telling the unbeliever the earth is 6,000 years old.

Jeff

San Jose, CA

#10656 Dec 31, 2012
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm considering it. You brainless clod hoppers are the worst enemy of Christianity I've ever run across.
I would not miss you or Romans or servant or Laci or Allen or Job or Cliff or Wayne or .... one bit though I would miss the Christians and other smart people.
God help you.
We'll pay you to stay on the sidelines.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#10657 Dec 31, 2012
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
God is just and sin must be punished. Its not torture. We even have punishments for laws that are broken that are in a sense eternal. The punishment for murder is either life imprisonment or death. Neither punishment is meant to rehabilitate but are just punishment that fits the crime. So it is when it comes to crimes against a perfect and holy God.
Keep in mind that were not just talking about a couple of sins that people commit over a life time but rather thousands of sins that are committed in a life time.
Since God is in control and has power to enforce His rules what are you going to do? He has provided one way out of this dilemma. Accept it or perish. The choice is yours.
Yuck. What despicable, low-minded stuff.(((rolls eyes)))

“Jesus=only way into Heaven”

Since: Nov 12

saved by grace through faith

#10658 Dec 31, 2012
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
God help you.
Be thankful us Christians are here to help you learn about true Christianity and the ways of God.

Your priest isn't going to be able to pray you into Heaven. Without believing in the shed blood of Jesus Christ, you will be sent to a literal Hell.

From Jesus:
John 8:24- I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am He, ye shall die in your sins.

Without Jesus:
Revelation 21:8- But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

With Jesus:
John 5:24- Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth My word, and believeth on Him that sent Me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

“God Loves Ilks!”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#10659 Dec 31, 2012
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
Be thankful us Christians are here to help you learn about true Christianity and the ways of God.
Your priest isn't going to be able to pray you into Heaven. Without believing in the shed blood of Jesus Christ, you will be sent to a literal Hell.
From Jesus:
John 8:24- I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am He, ye shall die in your sins.
Without Jesus:
Revelation 21:8- But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
With Jesus:
John 5:24- Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth My word, and believeth on Him that sent Me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
No Catholic believes that a priest or anyone else can 'pray them into heaven'.
What garbage is this you are spewing now?
You know absolutely nothing about the Catholic faith.
All you really have is ignorance and hatred.
SAD.

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#10663 Dec 31, 2012
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
Man, you really are dense......it's no wonder you need to believe as you do.........Peace to you and yours......though I know you won't get it!!!

#10665 Dec 31, 2012
Xyzhoturutsmail wrote:
<quoted text>Great post, all real Christians will agree. The earthly flesh seeking ones will deny Christ daily.
Amen, very true!

Matthew 10:32-33
32 Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.

33 But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

#10666 Dec 31, 2012
Nettiebelle wrote:
<quoted text>No Catholic believes that a priest or anyone else can 'pray them into heaven'.
What garbage is this you are spewing now?
You know absolutely nothing about the Catholic faith.
All you really have is ignorance and hatred.
SAD.
Copy/pasting from RCC do not qualify you as a Catholic expert.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
If you see demons or angels you have schizophre... (Nov '09) 4 hr Katelynn 116
Some Kinda Preacher (Tribute to Billy Graham) b... Wed bruce 1
Bible says Satan will be Destroyed, Not Live Fo... (Apr '10) Wed Rand M Sutor 815
The Baptist Church (Jan '08) Wed Rand M Sutor 46
Don't Blame God! Tue dollarsbill 7
Hellmouth: Capitalism Deities Feb 19 Abishai100 1
What Does God Hate? Feb 19 True or False 1
More from around the web