“God bless you (o: welcome (o:”

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#1 Jan 28, 2013
I think of when David and his men were on a military maneuver > 1 Samuel 29 > he had been fleeing from Saul who was trying to kill him, and he had joined with a Philistine leader in order to have a place of safety; so he and his men had been hanging out with Philistine military people, of all things.

Then they came back to the city of Ziklag > 1 Samuel 30 > where their families were staying while the men had been away. However -- enemy people, the Amalekites, had attacked the city, took the families of David and his men, and burned the city.

"Then David and the people who were with him lifted up their voices and wept, until they had no more power to weep." (1 Samuel 30:4)

"Now David was greatly distressed for the people spoke of stoning him, because the soul of all the people was grieved, every man for his sons and his daughters." (in 1 Samuel 30:6)

So, David could have been afraid of what those people thought of him. He could be afraid of never seeing his family again. He could have been afraid of what those Gentile enemies might do to his wives and children!

He could be afraid of how people now might see him as their king, if he didn't do something to get their wives and children back.

But fear could have David acting in panic, and in his own ego trying to do "damage control". So ... what worked for David? It says, "But David strengthened himself in the LORD his God," in 1 Samuel 30:6. Then in the next verses we see how David got with the priest Abiathar and then "David inquired of the LORD, saying,'Shall I pursue this troop? Shall I overtake them?' And He answered him,'Pursue, for you shall surely overtake them and without fail recover all.'"

So, David did not just rush to rescue the situation. He got with God, first, then made sure with God about what to do. He did not say, oh it is common sense what to do; he didn't say, oh there are things God expects us to take care of by ourselves; and he did not try to pay ransom to or negotiate with the enemy. He did not go to ungodly people for advice, but he submitted, I would say, to the priest who was trusted by God, and did things God's way with the priest Abiathar whom God has chosen to help David seek the LORD. God has His leaders whom He trusts (Hebrews 13:17).

Then David and his men went after the Amalekites. But two hundred of his men were too weak to keep on with them; so David had them stay with the supplies. Then they whipped the enemy and got all their family people back. But there were wicked soldiers who were saying, oh don't give anything to those weak ones who didn't come with us; just let them have their families back.

"But David said,'My brethren, you shall not do so with what the LORD has given us, who has preserved us and delivered into our hand the troop that came against us.'" (1 Samuel 30:23) And he had the people share the spoil with everyone.

So, David did not let fear make him listen to those judgmental and criticizing people; he did not fear what wrong people would think of him if he stayed with doing things in our Father's family way of sharing.

So, love has us doing things without fear > "There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love." (1 John 4:17)

So, there is no magic thing I can do or say, by myself, to overcome fear > I need how You, LORD, make me perfect in Your love. We trust You. And even though we do fail in many ways, we have the Holy Spirit "who makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered." (in Romans 8:26) And You Jesus also are making "intercession for us," Paul says in Romans 8:34.

continued in next post >

Location hidden

#2 Jan 28, 2013
You might consider how Jesus took care of Peter. Before Peter denied Jesus three times > Luke 22:31-34 > Peter said he would go with Jesus "both to prison and to death", but Jesus knew Peter would deny Jesus three times. Jesus said, "Simon, Simon! Indeed Satan has asked for you, that he may sift you as wheat. But I have prayed for you, that your faith should not fail; and when you have returned to Me, strengthen your brethren."
So Jesus had prayed ... already ... for Peter, before Peter denied Jesus three times.

So, Jesus knew Peter would get away from Jesus. Jesus knew Peter would give in to fear of what others would think of him being with Jesus (Luke 22:54-62). And Jesus in prayer took care of Peter so he would come back to Jesus and also be strong enough to strengthen his brethren -- not only to have strength for his own self. Because Jesus was praying according to His faith > it did not depend only on Peter's own faith.

We can be afraid of what people will think of us if we love all the people Jesus wants us to love. But Jesus had already prayed for Peter, and He our Groom has been watching out for us, too. This is why we keep coming back and then even are strengthening others, as we grow and do better in God's love (c:

Jesus is the One who is taking care of us, then (c: better than we care for our own selves. So, we trust You, LORD our Father, to take care of us and our fear problems so we do better > "casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you." (1 Peter 5:7)

Since: Aug 08

Somewhere in Ireland

#3 Jan 29, 2013
com7fy8 wrote:
I think of when David and his men were on a military maneuver > 1 Samuel 29 > he had been fleeing from Saul who was trying to kill him, and he had joined with a Philistine leader in order to have a place of safety; so he and his men had been hanging out with Philistine military people, of all things.
Then they came back to the city of Ziklag > 1 Samuel 30 > where their families were staying while the men had been away. However -- enemy people, the Amalekites, had attacked the city, took the families of David and his men, and burned the city.
"Then David and the people who were with him lifted up their voices and wept, until they had no more power to weep." (1 Samuel 30:4)
"Now David was greatly distressed for the people spoke of stoning him, because the soul of all the people was grieved, every man for his sons and his daughters." (in 1 Samuel 30:6)
So, David could have been afraid of what those people thought of him. He could be afraid of never seeing his family again. He could have been afraid of what those Gentile enemies might do to his wives and children!
He could be afraid of how people now might see him as their king, if he didn't do something to get their wives and children back.
But fear could have David acting in panic, and in his own ego trying to do "damage control". So ... what worked for David? It says, "But David strengthened himself in the LORD his God," in 1 Samuel 30:6. Then in the next verses we see how David got with the priest Abiathar and then "David inquired of the LORD, saying,'Shall I pursue this troop? Shall I overtake them?' And He answered him,'Pursue, for you shall surely overtake them and without fail recover all.'"
So, David did not just rush to rescue the situation. He got with God, first, then made sure with God about what to do. He did not say, oh it is common sense what to do; he didn't say, oh there are things God expects us to take care of by ourselves; and he did not try to pay ransom to or negotiate with the enemy. He did not go to ungodly people for advice, but he submitted, I would say, to the priest who was trusted by God, and did things God's way with the priest Abiathar whom God has chosen to help David seek the LORD. God has His leaders whom He trusts (Hebrews 13:17).
Then David and his men went after the Amalekites. But two hundred of his men were too weak to keep on with them; so David had them stay with the supplies. Then they whipped the enemy and got all their family people back. But there were wicked soldiers who were saying, oh don't give anything to those weak ones who didn't come with us; just let them have their families back.
"But David said,'My brethren, you shall not do so with what the LORD has given us, who has preserved us and delivered into our hand the troop that came against us.'" (1 Samuel 30:23) And he had the people share the spoil with everyone.
So, David did not let fear make him listen to those judgmental and criticizing people; he did not fear what wrong people would think of him if he stayed with doing things in our Father's family way of sharing.
So, love has us doing things without fear > "There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love." (1 John 4:17)
So, there is no magic thing I can do or say, by myself, to overcome fear > I need how You, LORD, make me perfect in Your love. We trust You. And even though we do fail in many ways, we have the Holy Spirit "who makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered." (in Romans 8:26) And You Jesus also are making "intercession for us," Paul says in Romans 8:34.

continued in next post >
Is this David the same godly man who knowingly sent Uriah to certain death in order to have his way with Uriah's wife, Bathsheba? Nice!

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#4 Jan 29, 2013
par five wrote:
<quoted text>
Is this David the same godly man who knowingly sent Uriah to certain death in order to have his way with Uriah's wife, Bathsheba? Nice!
Yeap, that's the one. God was pretty pissed over the whole affair but He couldn't do anything about it on account of the covenant thingy.

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#5 Jan 29, 2013
par five wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeap, that's the one. David pulled some way wilder shít than that, too. When David went to Hebron, in order to avoid the same fate to which he had doomed Uriah, he passed off his first wife, Michal, as his sister and Phaltiel took her to wife. When david left Hebron he demanded his wife back from her second husband.

2 Samuel 3:14 And David sent messengers to Ishbosheth Saul's son, saying, Deliver me my wife Michal, which I espoused to me for an hundred foreskins of the Philistines.

Note: In 1 Samuel David paid two hundred foreskins but who's counting?

Since: Sep 08

Anderson, IN

#6 Jan 29, 2013
So much for war. To the victor goes the spoils, huh? Think that's a god thing? A Christ thing? OR a man thing?

Location hidden

#7 Jan 29, 2013
you wrote:
When David went to Hebron, in order to avoid the same fate to which he had doomed Uriah, he passed off his first wife, Michal, as his sister and Phaltiel took her to wife. When david left Hebron he demanded his wife back from her second husband.
Yes, he did what he did to Uriah, but I don't read that he told anyone Michal was his sister.

First, Saul had tried to get David killed, by having him go to get those foreskins of the Philistines (1 Samuel 18:20-27), in order to get married to Michal. Then David fled from Saul, with the help of Michal his then wife > 1 Samuel 19:11-18. And while David was staying away from Saul who was trying to kill David, then was when Saul gave Michal to Palti > 1 Samuel 25:44.

It was Abraham who said Sarah was his "sister" (Genesis 20), then Isaac did that, with Rebecca (Genesis 26:7-11).
Note: In 1 Samuel David paid two hundred foreskins but who's counting?
Uh-huh ... right ... and look at how she turned out for David ... despising him (2 Samuel 6:20-23)... shows what you can get for such a way of getting a wife, I suppose.

So ... yes ... not everything David did was God's way. Among other things, he could have kept soldiers with the families in Ziklag.

By the way, I goofed on saying the quote about love casting our fear is "1 John 4:17". It is the next verse, 1 John 4:18 > "There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love." (1 John 4:18)

Location hidden

#8 Feb 2, 2013
"warm in a clammy world (c:"

Yes, Jesus is our Solid Rock.
God is so bigger than we are, and stronger;
yet He takes care of even a little bird.

One time, I saw a seagull about twenty to thirty feet offshore, and it seemed like it was paddling with its feet, but it was not moving. I was curious why it stayed in one place like that, and what was it doing? Seagulls don't run on treadmills, after all (c:

Then, after a little while, it dipped and came up with a shellfish, maybe a quahog, and off it flew, probably to drop the shellfish on something hard to break it open.

I understood, then, that the seagull had been paddling away the silt and muck that was covering and holding the shellfish, so then the seagull could get it free and eat it. So, that seagull had found out how to do that. God made that seagull able to learn that (c:

And with God we can find out how to get whatever we need that He has prepared and even waiting for us; plus, we can do whatever He desires > all that He is committed to doing with us, we can discover this with Him. Trust God to do whatever He is really committed to do with us > "casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you." (1 Peter 5:7)

I would say a basic, then, is make sure we are prayerful, committed to being in His peace and doing only whatsoever You have us doing with You in Your peace > "And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful." (Colossians 3:15) God commands, that we obey how He rules us in His peace; so our Father is committed to changing us so we are in His peace and submitting to however He personally rules us with His very own peace in our "hearts", like He commands, here, and so He is committed to this with us (c:... being this personal with each of us, even all the time.

In His peace ruling us, we have our Father Himself personally refreshing us, sweetening us with Him, even, and personally enlightening and encouraging and guiding us. He satisfies us to do what He wants, in His peace.

And yes it can be so cold in this world; but, like a seagull on our winter harbor, we can be warm in Your love "in our hearts" (Romans 5:5), and we can find all You have prepared for us to feed on ... feeding on Your love ... and to find to do (c:

I now am thinking, also, of how that seagull knew how to find that "clam" down under. It was deep in the water, in the mud. But the seagull knew it was there, though he or she could not see it, and knew to come looking when the tide was right ... in a low, humble time (c:

A sinner can be like a clam ... in a shell, with a soft body in a hard shell ... so vulnerable and hiding ... isolated in mud, instead of up in the sunshine and provision of God's love. But that seagull is like the Holy Spirit and God's church > together, we can reach to ones who are like hiding clams down in the cold and mud. And we can bring them up to be part of our family in God's love >

"Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord." (1 Corinthians 15:58)

So, it is good to see you; God bless you, too (c: bill

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
For Atheist, Agnostics, Whoever... 8 min Justice League 336
Before The Big Bang 11 min Why 938
Pastors- How Loud is your Sound System? 16 min kellyniles 1
Why can no one get along on here? (Jul '14) 24 min messianic114 57
The post count of Dollarsbill 25 min no-one-special 1,030
Visions of World War 3 (Jul '08) 1 hr susanblange 14
Would the discovery of ET change your faith? 1 hr susanblange 15
The Heathen's Home Page (Jun '13) 2 hr purplelady1040 4,185
Is Paul a false Apostle? (Sep '13) 5 hr tahoegirl 2,302
More from around the web