Roland_Deschain

“Naturalism - Nature is Enough”

Since: Nov 07

UK

#26 May 14, 2013
Snevaeh legna wrote:
<quoted text>
----------
Can you tell me about your naturalistic world-view over tea?:)
Are you unable to access Google from your computer?

“ IT'S A CHOICE !!!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#27 May 14, 2013
Roland_Deschain wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, so your a smart a$$... lol JK
Anytime you would like a debate, I'm a prayer away.:)

Have a nice day!!!

“ IT'S A CHOICE !!!”

Location hidden

#28 May 14, 2013
Roland_Deschain wrote:
<quoted text>
lol...Hence the word 'your' not Google... Just sayin'

Roland_Deschain

UK

#29 May 14, 2013
Snevaeh legna wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, so your a smart a$$... lol JK
Anytime you would like a debate, I'm a prayer away.:)
Have a nice day!!!
Snevaeh legna wrote:
<quoted text>
When I want to find out about something I do not know about I use Google to find information. Here is the link.

www.google.com
Lord Satan

Brandon, FL

#30 May 14, 2013
What happened when you freaks prayed for Romney to win the election?
I would pray that the christian freaks stopped hate filled post and that the christian freaks stopped fantasizing about gay sex so much

Roland_Deschain

UK

#31 May 14, 2013
Snevaeh legna wrote:
<quoted text>
If you cannot be arsed to look on Google you could always read my profile.

“ IT'S A CHOICE !!!”

Location hidden

#32 May 14, 2013
Roland_Deschain wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
When I want to find out about something I do not know about I use Google to find information. Here is the link.
www.google.com
...but I was interested in what 'you' had to say, not what was copied to a website. Thank you anyway...

Roland_Deschain

UK

#33 May 14, 2013
Snevaeh legna wrote:
<quoted text>
...but I was interested in what 'you' had to say, not what was copied to a website. Thank you anyway...
This is what I put in my profile.

"I prefer to place trust and confidence in science based on the procedures and controls it has in place - ie empirical evidence, falsifiability, reproducibility, peer-review, etc when attempting to understand the world around me

I cannot know for certain but I think the supernatural is extremely improbable and I live my life under the assumption it does not exist.

I accept the big bang as being the best explanation we currently have for the formation of our present universe.

I accept evolution as being the best explanation we currently have for explaining how life developed AFTER it had started."

Also, I don't believe we have an independent third party ("soul") living in our heads. AFAIAC we are just meat machines, a result of evolution, genetics and life experience.
nc resident

Charlotte, NC

#34 May 14, 2013
Hail Mary, full of grace.
Our Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
pray for us sinners,
now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

Location hidden

#35 May 14, 2013
THE SUNDAY TIMES

From Times Online
March 31, 2006
Prayer does not heal the sick, study finds
By Sam Knight and agencies

Praying for the health of strangers who have undergone heart surgery has no effect, according to the largest scientific study ever commissioned to calculate the healing power of prayer.

In fact, patients who know they are being prayed for suffer a noticeably higher rate of complications, according to the study, which monitored the recovery of 1,800 patients after heart bypass surgery in the US.

The findings of the decade-long study were due to be published in the American Heart Journal next week, but the journal published the report on its website yesterday as anticipation grew.

The power of intercessory prayer has been studied by doctors for years in America, but with no conclusive results. This $2.4 million study, funded in large part by the John Templeton Foundation, which seeks "insights at the boundary between theology and science", was intended to cast some clear light on the matter.

But the study "did not move us forward or backward" in understanding the effects of prayer, admitted Dr Charles Bethea, one of the co-authors and a cardiologist at the Integris Baptist Medical Center in Oklahoma City. "Intercessory prayer under our restricted format had a neutral effect," he said.

Members of three congregations - St. Paul's Monastery in St. Paul; the Community of Teresian Carmelites in Worcester, Massachussetts; and Silent Unity, a Missouri prayer ministry near Kansas City - were asked to pray for the patients, who were divided into three groups: those who would be told they were being prayed for, those who would receive prayers but not know, and those who would not be prayed for at all.

The worshippers starting praying for the patients the night before surgery and for the next two weeks, asking God to grant "a successful surgery with a quick, healthy recovery and no complications".

The study found no appreciable difference between the health of those who did not know they were being prayed for and those who received no prayers. Fifty-two per cent of patients in both groups suffered complications after surgery. But 59 per cent of those who knew they were prayed for went on to develop complications.

The reports authors said they had no explanation for the difference beyond a possibility that the prayers made people anxious about their ability to recover.

"Did the patients think,’I am so sick that they had to call in the prayer team?"’ said Dr Bethea.

The results of the study provoked discord among doctors and scientists in the US, many of whom questioned the wisdom of subjecting prayer to the conditions of a research project.

Dr Richard Sloan, a professor of behavioral medicine at Columbia and the author of a forthcoming book, Blind Faith: The Unholy Alliance of Religion and Medicine, told The New York Times: "The problem with studying religion scientifically is that you do violence to the phenomenon by reducing it to basic elements that can be quantified, and that makes for bad science and bad religion."

But Paul Kurtz, Professor Emeritus of Philosophy at the State University of New York at Buffalo, and chairman of the Committee for the Scientific Investigation of Claims of the Paranormal, had a simpler response when asked why the study had found no evidence for the power of prayer. "Because there is none," he said. "That would be one answer."

Dr. David Stevens, executive director of the Christian Medical and Dental Associations, told the AP that he believed intercessory prayer could influence people's health, but that scientists were not equipped to measure the phenomenon.

"Do we control God through prayer? Theologians would say absolutely not. God decides sometimes to intervene, and sometimes not," he said. As for the new study, he said, "I don’t think... it’s going to stop people praying for the sick."

Location hidden

#36 May 14, 2013
A little girl, dressed in her Sunday best, was running as fast as she could, trying not to be late for Bible class. As she ran she prayed, "Dear Lord, please don't let me be late! Dear Lord, please don't let me be late!"

As she was running and praying, she tripped on a curb and fell,getting her clothes dirty and tearing her dress. She got up, brushed herself off, and started running again. As she ran she once again began to pray, "Dear Lord, please don't let me be late!...But don't shove me either."

“Life Force One”

Since: Jul 07

The Spiritual Universe

#37 May 14, 2013
Prophet of Jesus Christ wrote:
They do the deeds of the devil.
John from Texas wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear Lord,
Please enlighten this guy!
Really pushing God to the limit on that one.

John from Texas

“It's all in your head”

Since: Dec 12

Buda, TX

#38 May 14, 2013
Seentheotherside wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Really pushing God to the limit on that one.
A prayer's a prayer. Don't expect it to work. Not that one anyway!

Location hidden

#39 May 15, 2013
nc resident

Charlotte, NC

#40 May 16, 2013
"All things bright and beautiful,
All creatures great and small,
All things wise and wonderful:
The Lord God made them all."

Have a glorious day!

“ IT'S A CHOICE !!!”

Location hidden

#41 Jun 3, 2013
For a friend in the hospital...

Lord, I pray for my friend just as your Word tells me to pray, for healing. I believe you hear this earnest prayer from my heart and that it is powerful because of your promise. I have faith in you, Lord, to heal my friend, but I also trust in the plan you have for his life.

Lord, I don't always understand your ways. I don't know why my friend has to suffer, but I trust you. I ask that you look with mercy and grace toward my friend. Nourish his spirit and soul in this time of suffering and comfort him with your presence.

Have a great Monday!!!:)
truth

Bradfordsville, KY

#42 Jun 3, 2013
Snevaeh legna wrote:
For a friend in the hospital...
Lord, I pray for my friend just as your Word tells me to pray, for healing. I believe you hear this earnest prayer from my heart and that it is powerful because of your promise. I have faith in you, Lord, to heal my friend, but I also trust in the plan you have for his life.
Lord, I don't always understand your ways. I don't know why my friend has to suffer, but I trust you. I ask that you look with mercy and grace toward my friend. Nourish his spirit and soul in this time of suffering and comfort him with your presence.
Have a great Monday!!!:)
I'll be praying for your friend too.
Your sister in christ

“ IT'S A CHOICE !!!”

Location hidden

#43 Jun 3, 2013
truth wrote:
<quoted text>I'll be praying for your friend too.
Your sister in christ
Thank you Truth... a sister indeed*:)
truth

Bradfordsville, KY

#44 Jun 3, 2013
Sheeba wrote:
Dear Lord, It's me again... Can you help everyone here on Topix, regardless of how they treat you. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.
Very good prayer!
WWJD [Father forgive them for they know not what they do]

Location hidden

#45 Jun 3, 2013
truth wrote:
<quoted text>Very good prayer!
WWJD [Father forgive them for they know not what they do]
Yes, those poor mindless brainwashed Christbots need all the help they can get. They have no idea of what lies they've been fed about God, and live their entire lived with their silly "god" is a dead guy delusions.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hearing Voices (the supernatural world) 3 min Praise Jesus 573
Poll Was Paul a False Apostle? (May '08) 52 min Praise Jesus 4,566
Is Obesity a Sin or Curse from God? 4 hr Praise Jesus 31
The New Covenant 4 hr dollarsbill 238
Who wrote the forth gospel? 4 hr dollarsbill 6
Where is God's ‪‎Kingdom‬? In... 4 hr dollarsbill 74
Why it is wrong to call God your father 4 hr PraiseJesus 3
Evidence Against God 6 hr blacklagoon 2,800
News Religion, higher education and critical thinking (Aug '15) 6 hr Knowledge- 7,361
More from around the web