Did Jesus pray like a Muslim?

Posted in the Christian Forum

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#1 May 22, 2009
I read the other day in the gospel of Matthew that Jesus "fell on his face and prayed". Do you think Christians should pray with their forehead to the ground? The church I attend half kneel and half remain seated. But I notice rom a search I did on the Bible 31 verses where the old testament prophets, Jesus and the disciples fall on their faces in prayer. Why dont we do it and does it matter? Is this the right way or not? Adam
Light Sensitive

Massapequa, NY

#2 May 22, 2009
I heard J also ate with his hands, no utensils...should we do that too?

why do you nutz fixate on the most minor of details?
Paraclete

Kuantan, Malaysia

#3 May 22, 2009
Some of the verses showing how Jesus prayed.

Jesus places his forehead on the ground just like a person who surrendered ...

1. Genesis 17:3 And Abram fell on his face:and God talked with him, saying,.

Genesis 17:17 Then Abraham fell upon his face, and laughed,and said in his heart,Shall a child be born unto him that is an hundred years old? and shall Sarah, that is ninety years old,bear?

Exodus 34:8 And Moses made haste, and bowed his head toward the earth,and worshipped.

Numbers 16:20-22 And the LORD spake unto Moses and unto Aaron, saying,Separate yourselves from among this congregation,that I may consume them in a moment.And they fell upon their faces,and said,O God,the God of the spirits of all flesh, shall one man sin,and wilt thou be wroth with all the congregation?

Joshua 5:14 And he said,Nay;but as captain of the host of the LORD am I now come.And Joshua fell on his face to the earth,and did worship, and said unto him,What saith my Lord unto his servant?

Ezekiel 9:8 And it came to pass,while they were slaying them,and I was left,that I fell upon my face,and cried,and said,Ah Lord GOD! wilt thou destroy all the residue of Israel in thy pouring out of thy fury upon Jerusalem?

2 Chronicles 20:18 And Jehoshaphat bowed his head with his face to the ground:and all Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem fell before the LORD,worshipping the LORD.

Ezekiel 11:13 And it came to pass,when I prophesied,that Pelatiah the son of Benaiah died.Then fell I down upon my face,and cried with a loud voice,and said,Ah Lord GOD! wilt thou make a full end of the remnant of
Israel?

Matthew 17:6 And when the disciples heard it, they fell on their face,and were sore afraid.

10. Matthew 26:39 And he (Jesus) went a little farther,and fell on his face,and prayed,saying,O My Father(God),if it be possible,let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will,but as thou wilt.

Luke 3:21: Now when all the people were baptized,
it came to pass,that Jesus also being baptized, and praying,the heaven was opened.

Luke 6:12:And it came to pass in those days, that he went out into a mountain to pray,and continued all night in prayer to God.

Mark 14:32 and he (Jesus) saith to his disciples,Sit ye here, while I shall pray.
Adam

London, UK

#4 May 24, 2009
Light Sensitive wrote:
I heard J also ate with his hands, no utensils...should we do that too?
why do you nutz fixate on the most minor of details?
I disagree taht it is a minor detail, but an important long abandoned Christian practice.

I think if Jesus didn't find prostration in prayer degrading then why should we? As it says in Hebrews 5:7 Jesus offered up prayers with loud cries and tears and was heard because of his submission. "During the days of Jesus' life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with loud cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission."

I guess many Christians believe that how you pray doesn't matter and that what matter is what you pray is sincere and from the heart. But I think that physical expressions reflect what is in our hearts. And that kneeling or prostration reflects an attitude of reverence, submission and thankfulness to our creator.

Adam

“Jesus forgives..... ”

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#5 May 24, 2009
I think the muslim pray like Jesus did.

“Proud To Be A Christian”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#6 May 24, 2009
Is it best to pray standing up, sitting down, kneeling, or bowing down? Should our hands be open, closed, or lifted up to God? Do our eyes need to be closed when we pray? Is it better to pray in a church building or out in nature? Should we pray in the morning when we get up or at night before we go to bed? Are there certain words we need to say in our prayers? How do we begin our prayers? What is the proper way to close a prayer? These questions, and others, are common questions asked about prayer. What is the proper way to pray? Do any of the above things even matter?

Far too often, prayer is viewed as a “magic formula.” Some believe that if we do not say exactly the right things, or pray in the right position, God will not hear and answer our prayer. This is completely unbiblical. God does not answer our prayers based on when we pray, where we are, what position our body is in, or in what order we word our prayers. We are told in 1 John 5:14-15 to have confidence when we come to God in prayer, knowing He hears us and will grant whatever we ask as long as it is in His will. Similarly, John 14:13-14 declares,“And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.” According to these and many other Scriptures, God answers prayer requests based on whether they are asked according to His will and in the name of Jesus (to bring glory to Jesus).

So, what is the proper way to pray? Philippians 4:6-7 tells us to pray without being anxious, to pray about everything, and to pray with thankful hearts. God will answer all such prayers with the gift of His peace in our hearts. The proper way to pray is to pour out our hearts to God, being honest and open with God, as He already knows us better than we know ourselves. We are to present our requests to God, keeping in mind that God knows what is best and will not grant a request that is not His will for us. We are to express our love, gratitude, and worship to God in prayer without worrying about having just the right words to say. God is more interested in the content of our hearts than the eloquence of our words.

The closest the Bible comes to giving a “pattern” for prayer is the Lord’s Prayer in Matthew 6:9-13. Please understand that the Lord’s Prayer is not a prayer we are to memorize and recite to God. It is an example of the things that should go into a prayer—worship, trust in God, requests, confession, and submission. We are to pray for the things the Lord’s Prayer talks about, using our own words and “customizing” it to our own journey with God. The proper way to pray is to express our hearts to God. Sitting, standing, or kneeling; hands open or closed; eyes opened or closed; in a church, at home, or outside; in the morning or at night—these are all side issues, subject to personal preference, conviction, and appropriateness. God’s desire is for prayer to be a real and personal connection between Himself and us.
ScienceRules

Plainfield, VT

#7 May 24, 2009
CIMLAS2 wrote:
Is it best to pray standing up, sitting down, kneeling, or bowing down? Should our hands be open, closed, or lifted up to God? Do our eyes need to be closed when we pray?.
I think the best way for you to pray is while blowing your boyfriend dressed as jeebus.
CIMLAS2 wrote:
What is the proper way to close a prayer?..
Swallow.

Location hidden

#8 May 24, 2009
ScienceRules wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the best way for you to pray is while blowing your boyfriend dressed as jeebus.
<quoted text>
Swallow.
Real cute DROOL!
ScienceRules

Plainfield, VT

#9 May 24, 2009
CIMLAS2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Real cute DROOL!
I think he's coming again..........

Location hidden

#10 May 24, 2009
ScienceRules wrote:
<quoted text>
I think Jesus is coming again..........and I will be left behind
Jesus will return, and your right you may be left behind.
ScienceRules

Plainfield, VT

#11 May 24, 2009
CIMLAS2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus will return, and your right you may be left behind.
Haysoos did return. You're right; he left behind his ladder and some paint brushes.
Wayne

Clear Spring, MD

#12 May 24, 2009
ScienceRules wrote:
<quoted text>
Haysoos did return. You're right; he left behind his ladder and some paint brushes.
Created that cell yet? No? Never will either.

“God Loves Ilks!”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#16 May 24, 2009
Wayne wrote:
<quoted text>
Now I know why Wayne goes around with those cargo ship anchors attached with chains to himself; he does not believe the theory of gravity either.

Location hidden

#17 May 24, 2009
Wayne wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder if they can bring DUDWIN...I'm sorry darwin back, I would personally like to choke him out.

“God Loves Ilks!”

Location hidden

#18 May 24, 2009
CIMLAS2 wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder if they can bring DUDWIN...I'm sorry darwin back, I would personally like to choke him out.
You speak like this and, I am understand you are in some kind of law enforcement?
GOD!

Location hidden

#19 May 24, 2009
Nettiebelle wrote:
<quoted text>You speak like this and, I am understand you are in some kind of law enforcement?
GOD!
Wouldn't be a crime, he is already dead...LOL!

“God Loves Ilks!”

Location hidden

#20 May 25, 2009
CIMLAS2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wouldn't be a crime, he is already dead...LOL!
Sure it would. There is such a law concerning the dead and buried, and that is what you are suggesting.

Since: Oct 08

Mount Vernon, KY

#21 May 25, 2009
ScienceRules wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Swallow.
why are you being so crude?..
Builder Bob

Spooner, WI

#22 May 25, 2009
Kensey wrote:
<quoted text>
why are you being so crude?..
Very simple answer, "demon possession"
Jesus Is

Doncaster, Australia

#25 May 25, 2009
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess many Christians believe that how you pray doesn't matter and that what matter is what you pray is sincere and from the heart. But I think that physical expressions reflect what is in our hearts. And that kneeling or prostration reflects an attitude of reverence, submission and thankfulness to our creator.
Adam
Don't you think that a person who remains physically upright could possibly be sincere?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Religion, higher education and critical thinking (Aug '15) 23 min Knowledge- 8,287
Evidence Against God 29 min Doubting Thomas 3,882
Spirit bodies. 40 min Ozzmius 39
GS, defend this defamation of my character with... (Oct '12) 47 min GodSmacked 968
Let's have a discussion, HG. (Oct '12) 48 min GodSmacked 177
Scientific Proof Of GOD(for dummies) 50 min Big Al 1,354
Why do you really believe in a god? 1 hr Barnsweb 628
More from around the web