Is the Bible always literally true or...

Is the Bible always literally true or correct?

Created by Big Al on Jun 16, 2014

540 votes

Click on an option to vote

Yes

No

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#1852 Aug 1, 2014
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
In what way, relief of guilt when you do harm to a fellow human by going to confession?
Is Topix a fellow human being ?
Big Al

Hibbing, MN

#1853 Aug 1, 2014
servant wrote:
<quoted text>
.
Hi Big Al. Seeing all this talk about what capabilties archaeologist's assume ancient people had or didn't have, I was just wondering if you could tell me how you think the Serapeum of Saqqara (25 giant GRANITE coffins shaped with 90 degree angles) were being cut out like butter from the quarry in Aswan and then transported 500 miles to their final location in an underground limestone chamber (near the Djoser pyramid). Another interesting fact about this underground limestone chamber of hallways and the niches these giant coffins rest is that when you first enter the underground complex you're faced with a wall which means sunlight was not used as a source of light when the rest of the chamber hallways were being carved out. Not only that but there are no air shafts any where inside of this underground complex that allows air and oxygen to flow through, which means the were obviously using another source of light beside torches when carving out the limestone tunnels and niches. Do you have any ideas what you think they could have possibly been using to do all of this besides a lame excuse of it being alien technology?...lol
.
Archaeologists don't just assume things the make reasoned judgments based on their archeological findings. Nobody can deny that ancient people were able to accomplish great things without modern technology.
Thinking

Anonymous Proxy

#1854 Aug 1, 2014
Nc resident wrote:
<quoted text>
No one goes throughout life without harming a fellow human being.
I partially agree with that..Many times hurting a fellow human being can be done unintentionally.
Nc resident wrote:
<quoted text>Catholics go to confession to seek God's forgiveness and move on. Absolution is only given if restitution is made.
And in the case of murder, what would be the amount of absolution and who would set the amount, a Catholic Priest or the God Catholics worship?
Big Al

Hibbing, MN

#1855 Aug 1, 2014
messianic114 wrote:
<quoted text>
.
A fossilized hammer was found to be of an alloy which cannot be forged under modern day pressure. Therefore in the past the pressure would have had to be higher to allow the alloy to be made. Also we know that the lungs of dinosaurs were not big enough to support them under modern day conditions, but if the pressure was higher enough oxygen would be available to allow the smaller lung to support the animal.
Although it is very interesting I don’t think that an old hammer head that the owner claims is ancient and made of an unusual alloy of iron but won’t allow independent scientific examination of it proves that the Earth’s atmosphere was different in ancient times and this caused people to live many times longer than they do today.

“…the hammer was not documented in situ, and has not been reliably associated with any specific host formation. Other relatively recent implements have been found encased in by similar nodules, and can form within centuries or even decades under proper conditions (Stromberg, 2004). The hammer in question was probably dropped or discarded by a local miner or craftsman within the last few hundred years, after which dissolved limy sediment hardened into a nodule around it.…The early American style of the hammer, and the largely undistorted and poorly mineralized condition of the handle, further suggests a relatively recent date.”- Glen J. Kuban, paleontologist
Nc resident

Charlotte, NC

#1856 Aug 1, 2014
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
I partially agree with that..Many times hurting a fellow human being can be done unintentionally.
<quoted text>
And in the case of murder, what would be the amount of absolution and who would set the amount, a Catholic Priest or the God Catholics worship?
You would have to turn yourself in and face whatever legal consequences there are.
Thinking

Anonymous Proxy

#1857 Aug 1, 2014
Nc resident wrote:
<quoted text>
You would have to turn yourself in and face whatever legal consequences there are.
\
According to a Catholic Priest or the God Catholics worship? Also, where in the Bible does it say anything about man confessing their sins to a Catholic Priest called 'Father'?

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#1858 Aug 1, 2014
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>\
According to a Catholic Priest or the God Catholics worship? Also, where in the Bible does it say anything about man confessing their sins to a Catholic Priest called 'Father'?
John 20:

[Jesus] said to them again,“Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.
And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them,“Receive the holy Spirit.
Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained.”

James 5
Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed.

The only time I call Padre 'Father' is when I accidentally say 'Yes, sir'. Then I correct myself and say 'Yes, Father'. Conditioned reflex.

“honestly politically incorrect”

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#1859 Aug 1, 2014
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
John 20:
[Jesus] said to them again,“Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.
And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them,“Receive the holy Spirit.
Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained.”
James 5
Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed.
The only time I call Padre 'Father' is when I accidentally say 'Yes, sir'. Then I correct myself and say 'Yes, Father'. Conditioned reflex.
Oh,so now the little sexist atheist wants to play Catholic/Christian again on here as if someone is going to be that stupid enough to believe you this time around.

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#1860 Aug 1, 2014
Gary Coaldigger wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh,so now the little sexist atheist wants to play Catholic/Christian again on here as if someone is going to be that stupid enough to believe you this time around.
Stop stalking me.
Thinking

Anonymous Proxy

#1861 Aug 1, 2014
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
John 20:
[Jesus] said to them again,“Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.
And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them,“Receive the holy Spirit.
Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained.”
James 5
Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed.
The only time I call Padre 'Father' is when I accidentally say 'Yes, sir'. Then I correct myself and say 'Yes, Father'. Conditioned reflex.
Please include the verse numbers, not just the chapter. Also, I would like the Bible version you’re quoting from (e.g. King James version etc. When you’re done here’s a verse for you to chomp on.

Mathew 23:9 King James version. And call no [man] your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#1862 Aug 1, 2014
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
Please include the verse numbers, not just the chapter. Also, I would like the Bible version you’re quoting from (e.g. King James version etc. When you’re done here’s a verse for you to chomp on.
Mathew 23:9 King James version. And call no [man] your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.
Christ himself breaks that rule and the rule against calling anyone 'master' enough times Himself we must assume he was referring 'to the crowds and to his disciples' there assembled.

United States Council of Catholic Bishops translation. It is far superior to the King James Version. I also have a non-denominational American Bible Society translation which is also far superior to the King James Version but it is in Spanish.

“honestly politically incorrect”

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#1863 Aug 1, 2014
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop stalking me.
Stop making excuses and looking to your own stubborn pride to try and pardon yourself of your irresponsibility.

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#1864 Aug 1, 2014
Gary Coaldigger wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop making excuses and looking to your own stubborn pride to try and pardon yourself of your irresponsibility.
Stop stalking me.

“honestly politically incorrect”

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#1865 Aug 1, 2014
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop stalking me.
When you stop making excuses and looking to your own stubborn pride to try and pardon yourself over what you know you did to pagan on here.

NDanger

“Third Eye”

Since: Nov 10

You can't get there from here.

#1866 Aug 1, 2014
Nc resident wrote:
<quoted text>
did you mean you are a re't'ard?
Talking to the mirror again?
Thinking

Anonymous Proxy

#1867 Aug 2, 2014
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
Christ himself breaks that rule and the rule against calling anyone 'master' enough times Himself we must assume he was referring 'to the crowds and to his disciples' there assembled.
United States Council of Catholic Bishops translation. It is far superior to the King James Version. I also have a non-denominational American Bible Society translation which is also far superior to the King James Version but it is in Spanish.
That's what I thought, you're full of sh!t!

“honestly politically incorrect”

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#1868 Aug 2, 2014
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what I thought, you're full of sh!t!
Just about everybody on here knows that.

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#1869 Aug 2, 2014
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what I thought, you're full of sh!t!
Gospel of Matthew (KJV)(dupicates omitted)

Archelaus did reign in Judaea in the room of his father Herod
We have Abraham to our father:
in a ship with Zebedee their father, mending their nets
immediately left the ship and their father, and followed him
suffer me first to go and bury my father
the brother shall deliver up the brother to death, and the father the child
I am come to set a man at variance against his father
He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me.
Whosoever shall say to his father or his mother
Honour thy father and mother
For this cause shall a man leave father and mother
every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife
Whether of them twain did the will of his father
If we had been in the days of our fathers,
Fill ye up then the measure of your fathers

call no man your father upon the earth

“honestly politically incorrect”

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#1870 Aug 2, 2014
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
Gospel of Matthew (KJV)(dupicates omitted)
Archelaus did reign in Judaea in the room of his father Herod
We have Abraham to our father:
in a ship with Zebedee their father, mending their nets
immediately left the ship and their father, and followed him
suffer me first to go and bury my father
the brother shall deliver up the brother to death, and the father the child
I am come to set a man at variance against his father
He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me.
Whosoever shall say to his father or his mother
Honour thy father and mother
For this cause shall a man leave father and mother
every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife
Whether of them twain did the will of his father
If we had been in the days of our fathers,
Fill ye up then the measure of your fathers
call no man your father upon the earth
Big Al

Hibbing, MN

#1871 Aug 2, 2014
Now that this thread has degenerated to the usual meaningless diatribes I think it a good time to point out that the vote seems to be fairly close with 54% voting "No" the Bible is not always literally true and correct and 45% voting "Yes" it is.

According to a Gallop Poll in 2011, three in 10 Americans interpret the Bible literally, saying it is the actual word of God, 49% say it is the inspired word of God but should not be taken literally and 17% consider it an ancient book written by ordinary human beings.

I also think it interesting that Protestants were pretty evenly split with 41% considering the Bible the actual (literal) word of God and 46% only the inspired (not literal) word of God while Catholics by a fairly large percentage (65% to 21%) considered it the inspired word of God not be be taken literally.

The vote in this thread so far would seem to be following closer to the Protestant tendency.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
PAUL OUR FATHER . 1Cor 4: 15 (Feb '16) 1 min Taranis 124
Scientific Proof Of GOD(for dummies) 5 min truth 2,458
The Moral Failure Of Christians 8 min little lamb 29
Why the Earth Was Created in Six Days 12 min Taranis 86
GALILEE or JERUSALEM (Jan '14) 39 min Taranis 7
Poll Was Paul a False Apostle? (May '08) 1 hr Taranis 5,950
Do you believe in tolerance for Gay Christians? 1 hr Taranis 1,093
Cookie's Place (Oct '13) 2 hr I love jesus 20,546
More from around the web