Guns use people, says Archbishop of Canterbury

Dec 23, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Ekklesia Daily News

In his final BBC Radio 4 Thought for the Day before retiring, Archbishop of Canterbury Dr Rowan Williams has talked about the corruption of a gun-toting culture.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 27 of27
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Aug 12

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Judged:

Punisher wrote:
<quoted text>That's just BS. A singular tool/device did NOT build this nation, nor create our legal system, and a Gun was most certainly the inspiration of the FF's.
People gave this Nation its freedoms! Not a tool, tool!
Your almighty Gun also took freedoms away from many people in this nation, like Blacks, and then the Japanese in WW2. And it still does so today when as a society we ignore the plight of the areas where the criminals rule the streets and people can not move around freely, or have to worry about wearing some Gang-colors in the wrong area...
Yes and the first move was to take their guns.
Cisco Kid

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Judged:

Punisher wrote:
<quoted text>This is where nuance escapes so many people.
Here's the real heart of what the Archbishop meant. You have a device in your possession that can settle your arguments, any and all of them for good. Big or small or the ridiculous, they can all be settled with this device so that YOU win.
It doesnt require any sort of thinking, or negotiating, or real effort on your part. A squabble over where you and your neighbor should place your garbage cans, or where to park your cars - can be finally settled for good. At first you might talk, or simply ignore the intrusions of the neighbor or he you. Then you yell...then you/he push and shove..then you/he damage personal property. Finally, one of the parties decides, "I'm gonna settle this once and for all" -because during this entire argument life-span that Device has been "calling" to you. Sitting there each day reminding you or him that, "I can settle this matter, use me and I can put an end to it. You know you're right, you're always right! I can settle this!"
So finally you or the neighbor acts on it and one of you ends up dead, or severely wounded and someone goes to jail. All for what? An argument over the absurd.
The gun culture and mind-set in the USA provides each of us a weapon of final argument. And skill and everything else touted as preventative to misuse - is not something that can be relied on to always stop a person from misusing a gun under the right conditions.
The Gun in the US is seen as tool of Final Argument where the wielder always wins. Its cultural, its ingrained in our entertainment and mythos, and its 100% ridiculous for this so called Xtian Nation to think that way...
Our obsession with Guns as a means to settle arguments is insane. We need to look at guns as tools for selective usages...not a personal device to settle the scores.
Talk about your specious argument void of nuance.
You're p[ssing in the wind.

None, not one, of the mass murders instigating this topic had anything to do with settling an argument.

ALL, let me say that again, ALL were the product of mentally unbalanced people immersed in the killing video game/hollywood violence that permeates our society.
Until those issues are addressed and corrected, calling for stricter gun laws is a straw man argument.
Punisher

Massapequa Park, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Judged:

Cisco Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
Talk about your specious argument void of nuance.
You're p[ssing in the wind.
None, not one, of the mass murders instigating this topic had anything to do with settling an argument.
ALL, let me say that again, ALL were the product of mentally unbalanced people immersed in the killing video game/hollywood violence that permeates our society.
Until those issues are addressed and corrected, calling for stricter gun laws is a straw man argument.
And like most people around here, you cant read very well.

Do you even know what nuance means?

Didn't the Columbine murderers think they were settling matters, getting back at others? I do believe that is part of what we've gleaned from what they left behind. We do know that many of these people have persecution complexes, or are acting to settle some score - even if imagined. Like the guy who shot up the Sikh temple thinking they were Muslims. he was settling some score in his brain.

Oh...so its things like video games, movies, etc making people kill...I see, free-will and stuff doesnt do it.

Where do some of these game makers and movie makers get this fixation on using the Gun to settle the score come from? From the general mythos of American folklore-culture that existed long before the Gamebox came along. Americans settling scores with the use of the Gun has been a long standard of Americana. These games and movies are nothing but the same old beliefs using modern technology.

But you'd prefer we control avenues of Entertainment and FICTION, over access to devices that no one actually needs...and that should in many cases not be so easy to procure. I see you prefer possible thought control over device control.

Got it.
Punisher

Massapequa Park, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Judged:

Drake_Burrwood wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes and the first move was to take their guns.
What? Guns were taken from Black Americans, and/or Japanese Americans...? Really, I missed that part of the record...

Plus, idiot, I never mentioned taking all guns away. Learn to read.

Why cant you idiots have a sensible discussion?
Cisco Kid

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Judged:

Punisher wrote:
<quoted text>And like most people around here, you cant read very well.
Do you even know what nuance means?
Didn't the Columbine murderers think they were settling matters, getting back at others? I do believe that is part of what we've gleaned from what they left behind. We do know that many of these people have persecution complexes, or are acting to settle some score - even if imagined. Like the guy who shot up the Sikh temple thinking they were Muslims. he was settling some score in his brain.
Oh...so its things like video games, movies, etc making people kill...I see, free-will and stuff doesnt do it.
Where do some of these game makers and movie makers get this fixation on using the Gun to settle the score come from? From the general mythos of American folklore-culture that existed long before the Gamebox came along. Americans settling scores with the use of the Gun has been a long standard of Americana. These games and movies are nothing but the same old beliefs using modern technology.
But you'd prefer we control avenues of Entertainment and FICTION, over access to devices that no one actually needs...and that should in many cases not be so easy to procure. I see you prefer possible thought control over device control.
Got it.
Liberal spin and revisionist justification.

Aren't you man enough to admit you're wrong?

Your beligerant jumping to pointless argument proves you are unfit to own a firearm.
Don't project your faults and failings onto others.
Cisco Kid

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Judged:

Punisher wrote:
<quoted text>What? Guns were taken from Black Americans, and/or Japanese Americans...? Really, I missed that part of the record...
Plus, idiot, I never mentioned taking all guns away. Learn to read.
Why cant you idiots have a sensible discussion?
Funny how you claim 'everybody else' is an idiot that can't read and comprehend your post contents.

Ever consider it's YOUR communication skills that are lacking nearly as much as your nonsensical reasonings?

Hmmm,...."everybody's out of step but puni"?

Since: Aug 12

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Punisher wrote:
<quoted text>What? Guns were taken from Black Americans, and/or Japanese Americans...? Really, I missed that part of the record...
Unless they are janissaries slaves are not given weapons, and do you really believe that the Japanese Americans were allowed to take weapons when they were interned. Do you think the Japanese gave up their swords willingly when some considered them their "souls" even though they started out as archers.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 27 of27
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••