Posted in the Christian Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

“EPHESIANS 5:11”

Since: Aug 07

MATTHEW 18:11

#1 Jun 4, 2009
Juat a thought, what happened in the mid 1800s (i mean in the spirit) for there to be a cult explosion. I mean all these cult churches began around the same time.

The list of cults are;

Jehovah's Witnesses
Seventh-day Adventist
The Salvation Army
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
(Mormon Church)
Christian Science

“terrorist = religous extremist”

Since: Apr 09

Germany

#2 Jun 13, 2009
Exposer of Lies wrote:
Juat a thought, what happened in the mid 1800s (i mean in the spirit) for there to be a cult explosion. I mean all these cult churches began around the same time.
The list of cults are;
Jehovah's Witnesses
Seventh-day Adventist
The Salvation Army
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
(Mormon Church)
Christian Science
Maybe they were groups of people disillusioned with the ruling religous groups of the time and decided to form there own churhes...much like what happened about 2000 yrs ago.

“God bless you (o: welcome (o:”

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#3 Jun 13, 2009
Jehovah's Witnesses > I have read that a man was a baptist fundamentalist and was having questions about how the baptists were interpreting the Bible; so he brought up his issues, got refused, and started Jehovah's Witnesses.

Seventh-day Adventist > I don't recall reading or hearing how they started, except it seems a woman started it.

The Salvation Army > I think this started during the Depression, with people helping the needy and they had bands that would play songs of salvation outdoors, in order to encourage people. I don't know why you call Salvation Army a cult. I won't guarantee they aren't, though; I have been in some services and prayer meetings with salvationists; it wasn't obviously unscriptural.

The Mormon church > this started with a man who claimed to find metal plates with a special message of God, and he claimed a prophet, I think. This appears to have been a deliberate hoax, versus being done in order to help the needy or being out of disillusionment or confusion.

Christian Science > Mary Baker Eddy, to my knowledge, had been severely sick and claims she found out how to connect with the supernatural so she got herself cured. Then she started her group, and wrote her health and healing book. I think institutionalized religious people rejected her because she was claiming to be able to get healing from God, and so she started her own group.

So, each group could be considered unique, in how it started. And how much willful deceit, versus being in denial, would be different for each group. Salvation Army seems to have started with wanting to help, versus deliberate deceit or being in denial about being wrong. Mary Baker writes like she believes what she gave, I'd say.

And each individual can speak for oneself, about the group one is in. Each person is unique; so I'd say I should talk with each person and let each one speak for oneself, and not assume every one in a group is exactly the same.
rimski

Eugene, OR

#4 May 28, 2011
first I believe you have to define what a cult really is, just because a church started in the
mid 1800's don't mean it was wrong or a cult.
all churches had to start from something or at sometime You don't bring up any of them being a cult that was started in
that was started in earlier times.
"cult". Quit possibly God started one of the
churches then and possibly the Devil sends his
counterfit, I believe you can take your Bible and
check any or all the churches out and if they are
not following the scriptures then you have to ask
why not, if they are preaching from man made doctrine then they are false, you should be able to prove "their" doctrines from the Bible alone.
Thinking

Coleraine, UK

#5 May 28, 2011
It was ~1850.
Punisher

Massapequa, NY

#6 May 28, 2011
really necessary to revive this long dead thread...?

Rimski...? Gotten one lately...?
Punisher

Massapequa, NY

#7 May 28, 2011
this is what happened mid 1800's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1850
victoria

Brooklyn, NY

#8 Apr 28, 2014
i want a defenition
comment

Ozark, MO

#9 Apr 28, 2014
victoria wrote:
i want a defenition
I believe a cult can be defined as NOT believing one of the following:

1. The deity of Christ
2. Salvation by grace
3. The resurrection of Christ
4. The virgin birth
5. Monotheism
6. Jesus Is the only way to salvation
7. The Trinity
tahoegirl

Orlando, FL

#10 May 1, 2014
victoria

I want a definition

One of many demon nations of Christianity
tahoegirl

Orlando, FL

#11 May 1, 2014
comment
1. The deity of Christ
2. Salvation by grace
4. The virgin birth
5. Monotheism
7. The Trinity

I believe 5 and 7 contradict each other.

Number 2 is a cult religion started by Paul.
comment

Ozark, MO

#12 May 1, 2014
tahoegirl wrote:
comment
1. The deity of Christ
2. Salvation by grace
4. The virgin birth
5. Monotheism
7. The Trinity
I believe 5 and 7 contradict each other.
Number 2 is a cult religion started by Paul.
You're entitled to your opinion, but scripture backs my statements. Paul's epistles are canon, disagreeing is your prerogative, but doesn't alter reality. The notion that Paul is a bad guy because you don't understand that there are two testaments in the bible, is really a sad commentary on the discernment present in some posters. And frankly, I'm not enthusiastic about providing my viewpoint and citations, to support something that 1, I've already provided in other threads, and 2, should be obvious to anyone with even a modicum of biblical exposure.

I'm not saying you need to agree with me, in fact, I could care less. but you should know that biblically, Paul is demonstrating obedience to the task for which he was appointed.

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#13 May 1, 2014
comment wrote:
<quoted text>
You're entitled to your opinion, but scripture backs my statements. Paul's epistles are canon, disagreeing is your prerogative, but doesn't alter reality. The notion that Paul is a bad guy because you don't understand that there are two testaments in the bible, is really a sad commentary on the discernment present in some posters. And frankly, I'm not enthusiastic about providing my viewpoint and citations, to support something that 1, I've already provided in other threads, and 2, should be obvious to anyone with even a modicum of biblical exposure.
I'm not saying you need to agree with me, in fact, I could care less. but you should know that biblically, Paul is demonstrating obedience to the task for which he was appointed.
The use of the word 'discernment' renders your comment null and void.
Cisco Kid

Modesto, CA

#14 May 1, 2014
rimski wrote:
first I believe you have to define what a cult really is, just because a church started in the
mid 1800's don't mean it was wrong or a cult.
all churches had to start from something or at sometime You don't bring up any of them being a cult that was started in
that was started in earlier times.
"cult". Quit possibly God started one of the
churches then and possibly the Devil sends his
counterfit, I believe you can take your Bible and
check any or all the churches out and if they are
not following the scriptures then you have to ask
why not, if they are preaching from man made doctrine then they are false, you should be able to prove "their" doctrines from the Bible alone.
Do you actually believe that Jesus Christ, The risen Messiah, was so inconsolably incompetent that it took him over 1800 years to establish his church on earth?

Or do you just deny The Word of GOD Gospel Truth showing Jesus passing the baton of earthly leadership to St.Peter, The First Pope?
comment

Ozark, MO

#15 May 2, 2014
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
The use of the word 'discernment' renders your comment null and void.
I suppose one reason to deflect the topic is as good as another. It seems to be the tactic of choice of a majority of the sophomoric adolescents who post here. They are easy to identify because they major in single sentence responses. Their inability to competently elucidate their assertions invariably exposes their deficiencies. It is unfortunate that they cannot compose a lucid response to the topic and must display their imperceptions by vague and simplistic demonstrations of their ineptitude.
comment

Ozark, MO

#16 May 2, 2014
Cisco Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you actually believe that Jesus Christ, The risen Messiah, was so inconsolably incompetent that it took him over 1800 years to establish his church on earth?
Or do you just deny The Word of GOD Gospel Truth showing Jesus passing the baton of earthly leadership to St.Peter, The First Pope?
I don't think the OP was indicating that the true church was initiated in the 1800's but rather that there seemed to be numerous denominations and cults that were formulated during that time period. I suspect it was due to scriptural interpretation aided by the expansionist interpretation of an emerging nation that fostered an attitude of global evangelism and spawned numerous religious efforts, both orthodox and otherwise.

As to the credibility of Peter's assignment of leadership being related to the "true church", I believe the assignment of leadership to be credible, but not the resultant religion. In any event, it is outside the scope of this thread.
Big Al

Hibbing, MN

#17 May 2, 2014
Diversity in Christian beliefs is not a recent phenomenon it only seems that way.

Christianity started out as a sect of Judaism. All of the early Christians observed Jewish customs and rules until Paul the self-proclaimed apostle to the Gentiles realized that requiring Gentiles to be circumcised was going to be a problem. According to Bishop Eusebius (AD 263 – 339) the first 15 Bishops of Jerusalem were "of the circumcision", meaning that they followed the Mosaic Law.

Many different Christian sects appeared in the earliest days. There was Gnosticism, Arianism, Manicheanism, Sabellianism, Adoptionism, etc. It wasn’t until the 4th century that the Roman Emperor Constantine initiated the First Council of Nicaea for the express purpose of bringing all of the different factions together under one creed (belief system).

For the next 1,100 years any belief system that did not agree with the “official” creed was heresy. The arrival of Protestantism (and Sola Scriptura Christianity) started the trend toward diversity again.

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#18 May 2, 2014
comment wrote:
<quoted text>
I suppose one reason to deflect the topic is as good as another. It seems to be the tactic of choice of a majority of the sophomoric adolescents who post here. They are easy to identify because they major in single sentence responses. Their inability to competently elucidate their assertions invariably exposes their deficiencies. It is unfortunate that they cannot compose a lucid response to the topic and must display their imperceptions by vague and simplistic demonstrations of their ineptitude.
If that be true, what do you discern? Under what imperceptions do we suffer?

Don't pretend to be privy to some special knowledge if you can't tell us what knowledge that is.
comment

Ozark, MO

#19 May 2, 2014
Big Al wrote:
Diversity in Christian beliefs is not a recent phenomenon it only seems that way.
Christianity started out as a sect of Judaism. All of the early Christians observed Jewish customs and rules until Paul the self-proclaimed apostle to the Gentiles realized that requiring Gentiles to be circumcised was going to be a problem. According to Bishop Eusebius (AD 263 – 339) the first 15 Bishops of Jerusalem were "of the circumcision", meaning that they followed the Mosaic Law.
Many different Christian sects appeared in the earliest days. There was Gnosticism, Arianism, Manicheanism, Sabellianism, Adoptionism, etc. It wasn’t until the 4th century that the Roman Emperor Constantine initiated the First Council of Nicaea for the express purpose of bringing all of the different factions together under one creed (belief system).
For the next 1,100 years any belief system that did not agree with the “official” creed was heresy. The arrival of Protestantism (and Sola Scriptura Christianity) started the trend toward diversity again.
I pretty much agree with all you state. Only disagree with the "self-proclaimed" comment, since it is Luke in Acts 9 that indicates the details of Paul's conversion and Jesus' mission for him. Acts 9:15.
comment

Ozark, MO

#20 May 2, 2014
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
If that be true, what do you discern? Under what imperceptions do we suffer?
Don't pretend to be privy to some special knowledge if you can't tell us what knowledge that is.
The knowledge isn't secret, it's abundantly clear for anyone who wants to see it. In a nutshell it is old covenant/mosaic law as opposed to new covenant/gospel of grace. If you're Jewish, there is reason for you to be mired in the old law, if you are gentile, then you should be embracing the new covenant. The only way you can avoid the message and division between the two is to discredit and disbelieve portions of scripture that disprove your false agenda. That's what all the Paul-bashing is about; the inability or refusal to understand that Christ's ascension ushered in a new method for salvation.

Anyway, I don't think your really interested in any of this, but if you want to try for three sentences in one post, tell me your opinion on the Trinity or Paul and their viability.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The False Teachings of the Hebrew Israelites, s... (Jan '14) 2 hr oxbow 1,066
What religion was Enoch, Noah, and Abraham? (Oct '12) 2 hr oxbow 1,150
Corn is from the Americas Why is it in the Bible? (May '08) 3 hr oxbow 63
judgment coming to america 5 hr oxbow 43
If The Pope Were American 6 hr oxbow 38
Israel is anti christ, literally 6 hr oxbow 44
Is there any evidence Apostles Peter and Paul b... 6 hr oxbow 324
More from around the web