Why would any all powerful god need to be worshipped?

Posted in the Christian Forum

Comments (Page 4)

Showing posts 61 - 80 of107
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“We R Watching U”

Since: Dec 11

Albany, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 8, 2013

little lamb wrote:
<quoted text>

A person who is an atheistic scientist weighs up evidence by what he sees...he is limited.
a Christian on the other hand is told by Jesus 'nothing is impossible for us ' if we have FAITH.
Science is not limited,science is ever learning and discovering new things.

The Abrahamic religion remain stagnate,bound forever within the mentality of dark ages ,unwilling to change as knowledge increases around them.
Faith is limited to the levels of emotional energy and close mindedness of the believer.

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 8, 2013

Thinking wrote:
If you believe your god to be all powerful then I believe your god is evil because we have evidence of avoidable suffering.
<quoted text>
Yes, there is avoidable suffering...but how much of that is because we are not being responsible as God originally directed us? To love each other, care for each other, care for the planet?

Even some of our climate issues are human-induced.

But if your question is why isn't God "fixing" this? The answer I have at this point in my spiritual journey is that for some reason beyond my ability to understand, He has chosen to "fix" it with partners, people who will join Him in the redemption of the world - people who will accept a relationship with Him and learn to love others enough to do something about it. The ultimate "fixing" of the planet itself is destined for a future date (that no one can know, no matter how loudly they proclaim it).

I think you ask questions we all have asked if we were honest, and I appreciate that.
OKAY

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 8, 2013

Stedfast wrote:
<quoted text>
God does not need to be worshipped, but He alone is worthy of it. He knows that when we worship Him, our eyes are focused on all that is beautiful and worthy - a very healthy thing for us.
Hope that helps.
Great post.
Thinking

Hounslow, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 8, 2013

I still don't believe your idea of an all powerful compassionate god is possible.

By definition, there is no problem that an all powerful god couldn't deal with. So why is there suffering?

There is nothing an all powerful god couldn't predict. So it wouldn't need to test anyone. It would just know how people will react. So why is there suffering?

I conclude that if an all powerful god does exist then it is not compassionate and it should not be worshipped.
Stedfast wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, there is avoidable suffering...but how much of that is because we are not being responsible as God originally directed us? To love each other, care for each other, care for the planet?
Even some of our climate issues are human-induced.
But if your question is why isn't God "fixing" this? The answer I have at this point in my spiritual journey is that for some reason beyond my ability to understand, He has chosen to "fix" it with partners, people who will join Him in the redemption of the world - people who will accept a relationship with Him and learn to love others enough to do something about it. The ultimate "fixing" of the planet itself is destined for a future date (that no one can know, no matter how loudly they proclaim it).
I think you ask questions we all have asked if we were honest, and I appreciate that.
Stan

Flushing, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 8, 2013

Stedfast wrote:
<quoted text>
We are in agreement about the Dark Ages, but not about blaming. I don't blame the human race, but believe we need to take responsibility for our own actions and the state of the world as it is. It is too easy to blame God for things we are responsible to "oversee" - feeding each other, helping each other, loving each other. When we fail, we blame God, which of course does't work.
Natural disasters and tragedies may not be the direct result of individual decisions, but are the result of a broken planet that wasn't supposed to be this way (what Biblical Christians call the "curse"). God has a provision for all these things, and although everyone of us would like to ask Him why He set up the world to work this way, entrusting it to such as ourselves, I have come to believe the only other option would have been to completely destroy it forever - something He wasn't willing to do. He could have started over with one of His other spheres, I'm grateful for His provision for another chance.
The problem is within us - not with God.
It really is sad to watch all the followers of the different religions try to validate their personal god. You do realize the earth was subjected to natural disasters for well over 4 billion years before your god was created. The dinosaurs were wiped out by a natural disaster 65 million years before your god was created by man. I guess they were destroyed by a much older dino god because they were living in sin and homosexuality! It is very sad watching you people try to cling to one of the man made gods while looking past all the evidence against it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 8, 2013

Stan wrote:
<quoted text> It really is sad to watch all the followers of the different religions try to validate their personal god. You do realize the earth was subjected to natural disasters for well over 4 billion years before your god was created. The dinosaurs were wiped out by a natural disaster 65 million years before your god was created by man. I guess they were destroyed by a much older dino god because they were living in sin and homosexuality! It is very sad watching you people try to cling to one of the man made gods while looking past all the evidence against it.
I realize we do not agree on who came first. We do agree that people have created their own version of god and it is sad. I believe, however, that despite our feeble attempts to create god in our own image, He does indeed exist and offers a relationship with us.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 8, 2013

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
I still don't believe your idea of an all powerful compassionate god is possible.
By definition, there is no problem that an all powerful god couldn't deal with. So why is there suffering?
There is nothing an all powerful god couldn't predict. So it wouldn't need to test anyone. It would just know how people will react. So why is there suffering?
I conclude that if an all powerful god does exist then it is not compassionate and it should not be worshipped.
<quoted text>
I think your conclusion is understandable, Thinking, but short-sighted. God is not impotent or uncaring, He is patient. If He completely and systematically "fixed" it as it needs to be fixed now (righting all wrongs, ending all suffering), the world as we know it would by necessity come to an end, and the opportunity for many to choose to accept Him ends with it. He is giving us more time...and is willing to take on the suffering of the world one person at a time. In my personal story, he did not save my son (drowning accident) and I don't know why. It is one of those things that I believe I will understand in the next "age" (heaven), but in the meantime I have experienced the presence, comfort and power of God deep within my soul, in deeply personal ways. I know these are just words on a screen for you, but it is truly beautiful to me.

“Third Eye”

Since: Nov 10

You can't get there from here.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 8, 2013

Judged:

Stedfast wrote:
<quoted text>
I think your conclusion is understandable, Thinking, but short-sighted. God is not impotent or uncaring, He is patient. If He completely and systematically "fixed" it as it needs to be fixed now (righting all wrongs, ending all suffering), the world as we know it would by necessity come to an end, and the opportunity for many to choose to accept Him ends with it. He is giving us more time...and is willing to take on the suffering of the world one person at a time. In my personal story, he did not save my son (drowning accident) and I don't know why. It is one of those things that I believe I will understand in the next "age" (heaven), but in the meantime I have experienced the presence, comfort and power of God deep within my soul, in deeply personal ways. I know these are just words on a screen for you, but it is truly beautiful to me.
So true and inspiring. Those are the things that the unbeliever will never understand.

“Third Eye”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 8, 2013

Judged:

Stan wrote:
<quoted text> It really is sad to watch all the followers of the different religions try to validate their personal god. You do realize the earth was subjected to natural disasters for well over 4 billion years before your god was created. The dinosaurs were wiped out by a natural disaster 65 million years before your god was created by man. I guess they were destroyed by a much older dino god because they were living in sin and homosexuality! It is very sad watching you people try to cling to one of the man made gods while looking past all the evidence against it.
You do realize the term dinosaur didn't even exist until 1841?

65 million? wow, and you know that how?

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 8, 2013

NDanger wrote:
<quoted text>
Stratigraphy.

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 8, 2013

Stan wrote:
For the most part they don't understand the evidence so if they do look at it they deny it, figuring if they don't understand it nobody does.

“It's all in your head”

Since: Dec 12

Austin, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 8, 2013

Sounds like we are just a part of one of God's video games.

“Third Eye”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 8, 2013

15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
For the most part they don't understand the evidence so if they do look at it they deny it, figuring if they don't understand it nobody does.
:-)
Thinking

Hounslow, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2013

Believing a magic man dunnit is shortsighted.

And you're letting him off with genocide.
Stedfast wrote:
<quoted text>
Thinking

Hounslow, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2013

Judged:

Are you saying the planet Jupiter didn't exist before we named it Jupiter?

You total fuckwit.
NDanger wrote:
<quoted text>

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2013

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
Believing a magic man dunnit is shortsighted.
And you're letting him off with genocide.
<quoted text>
Genocide? Now you're just being dramatic.:)

“Third Eye”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2013

Thinking wrote:
Are you saying the planet Jupiter didn't exist before we named it Jupiter?
You total fuckwit.
<quoted text>
Actually they were referred to a Dragons which are 'referenced' throughout civilization...

Dino is a made up word...

“We R Watching U”

Albany, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2013

NDanger wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually they were referred to a Dragons which are 'referenced' throughout civilization...
Dino is a made up word...
Why would dragon not be a made up word too?

Dragons traditionally live in caves and breath fire and have other magical powers,some even talk and some can fly. The only thing they have in common with dinosaurs is that they are reptilian.
Christians usually try to claim that dragon means jackal when they're are asked why the bible claims that creatures which we know for a fact never existed, existed. So is a dragon a dinosaur or a jackal?

“We R Watching U”

Albany, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2013

Stedfast wrote:
<quoted text>
Genocide? Now you're just being dramatic.:)
Read your bible it in there. What would you call it,when god told his holy henchmen to invade cities and destroy everyone in them,except for the virgins,of course. They had the pleasure of being forced into sex slave marriages to the men who slaughtered their families. Lucky them,huh?
Stan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2013

Stedfast wrote:
<quoted text>
I realize we do not agree on who came first. We do agree that people have created their own version of god and it is sad. I believe, however, that despite our feeble attempts to create god in our own image, He does indeed exist and offers a relationship with us.
The personal god is alive in the minds of people who can nurture and maintain a relationship with a personal god without loosing faith when subjected to contradictions in the existence of the personal god. If you were born into Hinduism you would have a personal relationship with Brahman and would defend this relationship just like a billion other followers of Hinduism. When you lost a child to an accident, you would attribute it to evil in a previous life. Your goal would be to finally break karma and finally be free of the seemingly endless cycle of rebirths and be at peace. The Vedas would be the holy text you call the true word of god and the others are just the words of man. You would like to show the poor lost followers of Christianity the power of a personal relationship with Brahman!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 61 - 80 of107
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••