Very Few People Know How To Use The B...

Very Few People Know How To Use The Bible To Help Themselves

Posted in the Christian Forum

Since: Jul 13

Detroit, MI

#1 Oct 19, 2013
There are those that are clueless when it comes to finding the books of the Bible. They do not know where to look for a verse or scripture in the the Bible because of lack of use or instructions on how to maneuver through the pages of the Bible. One sad scenario was when this person did not even know where the first book of the Bible, Genesis was!!!!
Religious guru's are to blame...and most of them do not even know the Bible that well themselves. "The blind leading the blind" in this instance.
QUITTNER

Toronto, Canada

#2 Oct 20, 2013
8:09 am, Sunday, October 20, 2013:
RE: Very Few People Know How To Use The Bible To Help Themselves
..... Most of them read much more recent books most of the time!
Punisher

Massapequa Park, NY

#3 Oct 20, 2013
What do you mean cant make proper use of the Bible? I shimmed up a cabinet door I was installing - perfect height. held it in place while I installed the hinges...

Or the time I squashed a huge beetle...crunch!

It can also be used to hold up a couch with a broken leg...

“God is Love”

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#4 Oct 20, 2013
The bible has a table of contents like any other book. It has chapters like other books. All that makes it different is that it has verses. It's very easy to use, and anyone that can read can figure it out. They just choose not to.
Ben

Philadelphia, PA

#5 Oct 20, 2013
I agree. It's very easy to use, but people choose not to. I think sometimes its read just like any other book and not taken as the Holy Word of God. It's God's Word to man. I also believe God gives you the faith to believe it and the desire to come to Him.
Ben

Philadelphia, PA

#6 Oct 20, 2013
Psalm 119:
18Open my eyes, that I may behold Wonderful things from Your law.

Since: Aug 08

Somewhere in Ireland

#7 Oct 20, 2013
Ben wrote:
I agree. It's very easy to use, but people choose not to. I think sometimes its read just like any other book and not taken as the Holy Word of God. It's God's Word to man. I also believe God gives you the faith to believe it and the desire to come to Him.
Yes, the bible is very easy to understand. On reading the bible it is easy to understand that it is full of myths and absurdities, and it also states very clearly that the biblical god is very fond of mass slaughter, either by its own hand or by those of its followers. It kind of negates the idea of a loving god that we keep on hearing about!
Big Al

Hibbing, MN

#8 Oct 20, 2013
Most Christians don’t know very much about the Bible at all. They have been told that it is the word of “God” and blindly accept everything in it as absolute truth. They also seem to think that early Christians of the second and third centuries were walking around handing out Bibles exactly like the ones we have today.

Contrary to religious teaching the Old Testament is not history.

“The historical saga contained in the Bible – from Abraham’s encounter with God and his journey to Canaan, to Moses, deliverance of the children of Israel from bondage, to the rise and fall of the kingdoms of Israel and Judah – was not a miraculous revelation, but a product of human imagination. It was first conceived – as recent archaeological findings suggest – during the span of two or three generations, about twenty-six hundred years ago [about 600 years before Jesus].”– Archaeologist Israel Finkelstein, Ph.D., director of the Sonia and Marco Nadler Institute of Archaeology at Tel Aviv University

The New Testament is a collection of Christian works written at different times by various writers who were early Jewish disciples of Jesus. The four gospels were only a few of many other early Christian gospels and those four were determined to be the "Pillars of the Church" by a Bishop of Gaul (France) named Irenaeus about 150 years after Jesus died.

The Acts of the Apostles and the Epistles were first determined to be “accepted writings”(he wasn’t real sure about Revelation) by Eusebius Bishop of Caesarea and right hand man of the Roman Emperor Constantine about 250 years after Jesus died.

It wasn’t until about 330 years after Jesus’ death that Bishop Athanasius of Alexandria, gave a list of the 27 books that most Christians today accept as the New Testament.
Ben

Philadelphia, PA

#9 Oct 20, 2013
par five wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, the bible is very easy to understand. On reading the bible it is easy to understand that it is full of myths and absurdities, and it also states very clearly that the biblical god is very fond of mass slaughter, either by its own hand or by those of its followers. It kind of negates the idea of a loving god that we keep on hearing about!
Psalm 1:1-2

1 Blessed is the man
who walks not in the counsel of the wicked,
nor stands in the way of sinners,
nor sits in the seat of scoffers;
2 but his delight is in the law of the Lord,
and on his law he meditates day and night.
buck

AOL

#10 Oct 20, 2013
Ben wrote:
agree with you all the way Ben, this is what this forum needs, positive people like you. Keep up the good work press on bro.
buck

AOL

#11 Oct 20, 2013
Ben wrote:
<quoted text> Psalm 1:1-2
1 Blessed is the man
amen Ben :)
you are so great to have on this forum, and speak the truth with the word of God. the scripture reminds me of verse "my son when sinners entice thee, consent thou not" amen.
buck

AOL

#12 Oct 20, 2013
Big Al wrote:
Most Christians don’t know very much about the Bible at all. They have been told that it is the word of “God” and blindly accept everything in it as absolute truth. They also seem to think that early Christians of the second and third centuries were walking around handing out Bibles exactly like the ones we have today.
Contrary to religious teaching the Old Testament is not history.
“The historical saga contained in the Bible – from Abraham’s encounter with God and his journey to Canaan, to Moses, deliverance of the children of Israel from bondage, to the rise and fall of the kingdoms of Israel and Judah – was not a miraculous revelation, but a product of human imagination. It was first conceived – as recent archaeological findings suggest – during the span of two or three generations, about twenty-six hundred years ago [about 600 years before Jesus].”– Archaeologist Israel Finkelstein, Ph.D., director of the Sonia and Marco Nadler Institute of Archaeology at Tel Aviv University
The New Testament is a collection of Christian works written at different times by various writers who were early Jewish disciples of Jesus. The four gospels were only a few of many other early Christian gospels and those four were determined to be the "Pillars of the Church" by a Bishop of Gaul (France) named Irenaeus about 150 years after Jesus died.
The Acts of the Apostles and the Epistles were first determined to be “accepted writings”(he wasn’t real sure about Revelation) by Eusebius Bishop of Caesarea and right hand man of the Roman Emperor Constantine about 250 years after Jesus died.
It wasn’t until about 330 years after Jesus’ death that Bishop Athanasius of Alexandria, gave a list of the 27 books that most Christians today accept as the New Testament.
No one has been able to stamp out the KJ Bible and no other version has caused thousands to receive salvation & baptism, & the the gift of the Holy Ghost. I kind of agree with your opening statement but not all the way. There are many christians who can read and understand the Bible. However the Old testatment like the the New Testament is not human imagination. All scripture is given by inspiration of God. God is not human imagination, I thought you knew that.
buck

AOL

#13 Oct 20, 2013
we have been taught that, God helps those who help themselves :)

Somewhere in Ireland

#14 Oct 20, 2013
Ben wrote:
<quoted text> Psalm 1:1-2
1 Blessed is the man
Are you saying that the bible does not say that the biblical god slaughtered men woman and children and commanded his followers to do the same?

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#15 Oct 20, 2013
par five wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you saying that the bible does not say that the biblical god slaughtered men woman and children and commanded his followers to do the same?
I commanded your Mom.

Somewhere in Ireland

#16 Oct 20, 2013
Huntington Guy wrote:
<quoted text>I commanded your Mom.
Poor little HG, I'm sure there must be a mental health professional somewhere in the world who can help you overcome your mother fetish. Please tell me that you are not still being breastfed!

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#17 Oct 20, 2013
par five wrote:
<quoted text>
Poor little HG, I'm sure there must be a mental health professional somewhere in the world who can help you overcome your mother fetish. Please tell me that you are not still being breastfed!
LMAO! You're to EZ!
Ben

Philadelphia, PA

#18 Oct 20, 2013
par five wrote:
<quoted text>
the Bible speaks of men, women, and children being put to death by the hand of God and His servants. I don't pretend to fully understand the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Who am I to answer God almighty? But I know He gave His Son to taste death for me and shed His blood for me, that through His death I might live.
Romans 1: 16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile.
Big Al

Hibbing, MN

#19 Oct 21, 2013
buck wrote:
<quoted text>
No one has been able to stamp out the KJ Bible and no other version has caused thousands to receive salvation & baptism, & the the gift of the Holy Ghost.
“[King] James gave the translators instructions intended to guarantee that the new version would conform to the ecclesiology and reflect the episcopal structure of the Church of England and its belief in an ordained clergy.…The translation was done by 47 scholars, all of whom were members of the Church of England.”- David Daniell, Ph.D. from the University of London,“The Bible in English: its history and influence”

We fought the Revolutionary War to become free of the religious dictates of King James and the Church of England.
buck wrote:
I kind of agree with your opening statement but not all the way. There are many christians who can read and understand the Bible. However the Old testatment like the the New Testament is not human imagination. All scripture is given by inspiration of God. God is not human imagination, I thought you knew that.
Christians read and understand the Bible in many different ways and of course each of the different understandings is the only correct understanding.

Professor Finkelstein did not say that "God" was the result of human imagination only that the stories of the Old Testament were. Professor Finkelstein is an observant Jew that believes in "God".

“The stories of the patriarchs, are folklore about forefathers that the authors of the Bible in the seventh century salvaged from the mists of history in order to reinforce their hold on the cultural heritage.…the goal was to create a myth saying that Judah [Israel] is the center of the world…”- Israel Finkelstein

Somewhere in Ireland

#20 Oct 21, 2013
Huntington Guy wrote:
<quoted text>LMAO! You're to EZ!
Well HG, you say these things, but you never have anything to back them up. Everyone knows how much you brag, but that's all you do, brag. Nothing to back it up. For example, you stated that you were the one that enabled Christians to post freely on Topix. I challenged you on that as it is evident by looking at any thread long before and after you started posting, that Christians have never had any problem posting on Topix, but you seemed unable or unwillig to answer that. You are so up yourself it must hurt, but here is another chance to blow something other than your usual hot air. What have you done that makes you think Christians couldn't post here before you came along?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 8 min -Stray Dog 6,565
4,70,000 errors, mistakes, contradictions in bible 29 min mac 26
Noah’s ark and the rainbow. 30 min dollarsbill 384
Jesus is God 3 hr dollarsbill 96
*Forgiveness* 3 hr Thinking 273
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) 6 hr Prophet of the LORD 84,352
Does the Law of God matter? 10 hr dollarsbill 108
More from around the web