Target refuses to sell "Christmas" trees

Posted in the Christian Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
A Campanelli

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Nov 25, 2007
Earlier today, I received Target's catalog for pre-lit Christmas Trees. In an act of open distain for Christmas, and anyone who celebrates it, the word "Christmas" was deliberately ommitted from the entire catalog. Target called all of the trees "Specialty Trees." This was apparently Target's response to catholic groups asking Target to return the words "Merry Christmas" to its stores. To those of you who celebrate Christmas, as I do, please do not buy "Specialty Trees," or anything else for Christmas, from Target, and spread the word to everyone else you know.
Saved By Grace

Olympia, WA

#2 Nov 25, 2007
When a tree or anything is purchased and brought into my parents home, we decide what it will "be".

It does not matter if Target calls them the same or not.

Lowe's did the same thing.

We don't need trees to celebrate anyway.

If we really wanted to impact sales and economics in America, we would stop the Christmas frenzy altogether. Just don't participate in the cultural side of gift giving bought items at all.
PROV1X81

Inglefield, IN

#3 Nov 25, 2007
Saved By Grace wrote:
When a tree or anything is purchased and brought into my parents home, we decide what it will "be".
It does not matter if Target calls them the same or not.
Lowe's did the same thing.
We don't need trees to celebrate anyway.
If we really wanted to impact sales and economics in America, we would stop the Christmas frenzy altogether. Just don't participate in the cultural side of gift giving bought items at all.
nice to see an intelligent reply on this site every once in awhile.
rusty

Ashburn, VA

#4 Nov 25, 2007
A Campanelli wrote:
Earlier today, I received Target's catalog for pre-lit Christmas Trees. In an act of open distain for Christmas, and anyone who celebrates it, the word "Christmas" was deliberately ommitted from the entire catalog. Target called all of the trees "Specialty Trees." This was apparently Target's response to catholic groups asking Target to return the words "Merry Christmas" to its stores. To those of you who celebrate Christmas, as I do, please do not buy "Specialty Trees," or anything else for Christmas, from Target, and spread the word to everyone else you know.
Thanks for the heads up there.

Target will be hearing from me.

“rain like grace”

Since: Aug 07

Olympia

#5 Nov 26, 2007
I always have the choice to patreonize an establishment or business.
A Christmas tree is a Christmas tree....at least at my house. But, as I told my children, if you aren't willing to die for it, is it worth the fight?
Christmas at my home is not dependent upon Target, or any store for that matter, celebrating with me.
Just a thought
ISLAMERICA

Dallas, TX

#6 Jul 26, 2008
In the Name of Allah, the Merciful, the Compassionate

"And take that which the Messenger has brought you"

(Quran)
metronid

Ellicott City, MD

#8 Dec 6, 2008
ISLAMERICA wrote:
In the Name of Allah, the Merciful, the Compassionate
"And take that which the Messenger has brought you"
(Quran)
Now someone is quating the Evil islam
John

Solo, MO

#9 Dec 6, 2008
This is nothing new for Target. They also prevent the Salvation Army and Boy Scouts from soliciting donations on the premises. This is to be politically correct.

I agree that a tree has little involvement in the true reason for the season, but I also don't believe in supporting an organization which does not share my views. Target made a business decision that they could ignore my values and I am therefore, willing to ignore them.

I do not had have not patronized their stores for a number of years and I encourage all Christians to do the same.

Since: Sep 07

Fort Lauderdale, FL.

#10 Dec 6, 2008
Why is it that Christians feel that they are being put down by businesses who choose to say happy holidays?

For those who do think that way, it sounds a lot like insecurity about the religious holiday.

I am not a Christian, but as a former Christian this holiday was seen as Christmas no matter what the outside world saw it.

This is a free country, you are free and encouraged to practice the religion of your choice and that is why business have to use the "Happy Holidays" or other terminology for that, because there is more than just Christian holidays happening at the same time.

No matter what the stores display someone will be offended and its why this stores are resorting to generic "Holidays" terminology

Even though I am not a Christian if I am at a Christmas party during this holidays I will say Merry Christmas as much as if I am at a Jewish party I will say Happy Hanukkah.
John

Solo, MO

#11 Dec 6, 2008
Frank,
I dont know if you were responding to my post or not. I personally do take affront at a business who purposly does not use the common nomenclature of the season to describe the season.

Not that they have to, but if they decide to, I cant see why i should then support them. I have no problems with the Jewish or Islamic holidays being described by their religious names. So why would a corporation decide not to do the same in the case of my holiday, unless they had specifcally decided against it in the interests of discrimiating against my religious values, or worse yet, for political correctness in lieu of any regard for me?

jxn

“Punish the Deed, Not the Breed”

Since: Jul 07

My Karma ran over your dogma.

#12 Dec 6, 2008
Great news for Christians, Target is calling the trees "Christmas Trees" again. Lowe's also has "Christmas Trees" as well as "Holiday Trees". Make sure that you read the tag at Lowe's so you won't accidently purchase a "Holiday Tree". And as a matter of fact, Target's website has a whole section dedicated to your holiday... Christmas. Does everyone feel better now?

I'm sorry but the arguments and protests that took place last Holiday Season was down right ridiculous. Most Christians do not even know that their bible tells them not to display a tree. Most don't even know the origins of their "tools of celebration" (tree, wreath, gift giving, Santa Claus, 12 Days of Christmas, Yule logs, etc.). nor do they know why they celebrate Christmas on December 25th.

Who cares wether a store advertises a "Holiday Tree", a "Specialty Tree", a "Christmas Tree", or even a "Yule Tree"? It's what it means to you that counts.

“Invisible Pink Unicorn”

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#13 Dec 6, 2008
In April, Focus on the Family sent certified letters to the CEOs and marketing executives of 33 leading retailers inviting them to share their plans to generously use the term ”Christmas&#8221 ; in their 2008 catalogs and Web publications

"Christmas-friendly" retailers — prominent acknowledgment of "Christmas"

Bass Pro Shops*
Bed, Bath & Beyond
Best Buy
Cabela's
Circuit City
Crate&Barrel
Dillard's
Eddie Bauer JCPenney
Kohl's
L.L.Bean
Lands' End
Linens 'n Things
Lowe's
Macy's
Neiman Marcus Nordstrom
Pier 1 Imports
Sears
The Home Depot
Target
Toys "R" Us
Wal-Mart

"Christmas-negligent " retailers — marginalized use of "Christmas"
Barnes & Noble
Borders
Dick's Sporting Goods GAP
KB Toys
Kmart

"Christmas-offensive " retailers — apparent abandonment of "Christmas" American Eagle
Banana Republic
Bloomingdale's
Lane Bryant
Old Navy

I found this list on Focus on the Family website found at:http://www.citizenlink.org/ content/A000008670.cfm

This years Target Christmas catalog has the word "Christmas" on about every page.
see for yourself:http://catalog.target .com/Holiday2008/Default.aspx? action=browsepageflash&sto reid=2395599&promotioncode =Target-081105-HOL&pagenum ber=1&versionnum=1.4&r ef=wa_slot_3&adref=Weekly_ Ad
Gabbylittleangel

Lutz, FL

#14 Dec 6, 2008

“You don't have legs, Lt. Dan!”

Since: Apr 08

Hometown in Alberta, Canada!

#15 Dec 6, 2008
Retailers don't seem to have difficulty "sweating it" about what Halloween should be called.

We patronize their Halloween sales.

They shouldn't begrudge us Christmas.

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#16 Dec 6, 2008
Bull! This is an example of Christians stirring up discord trying to destroy America from the inside out.

Anyone can visit their website and see the word Christmas all over the place. Be sure to check out their selection of Christmas trees.

The culture wars are over everyone lost.

http://www.target.com/gp/browse.html/ref=nav_...

“Proud To Be A Christian”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#17 Dec 6, 2008
These things offend me very much also, but I'm not going to lose insight as to what is going on, and get mad to the point of causing a scene, the last couple of years when leaving a store, and the cashier or anyone else says "Merry Christmas" I will acknoledge them, but if they say "happy Holidays" "Seasons Greetings" or anything other than "Merry CHristmas" I just simply do not respond back.

Since: Aug 08

Somewhere in Ireland

#18 Dec 6, 2008
CIMLAS2 wrote:
These things offend me very much also, but I'm not going to lose insight as to what is going on, and get mad to the point of causing a scene, the last couple of years when leaving a store, and the cashier or anyone else says "Merry Christmas" I will acknoledge them, but if they say "happy Holidays" "Seasons Greetings" or anything other than "Merry CHristmas" I just simply do not respond back.
That just makes you impolite and rude! Typical Christian mindset. My way or no way at all!

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#19 Dec 7, 2008
par five wrote:
<quoted text>
That just makes you impolite and rude! Typical Christian mindset. My way or no way at all!
He's exercising his rights as a consumer.

“Proud To Be A Christian”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#20 Dec 7, 2008
par five wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually the " my way or no way " is an atheist mindset, I am just not responding to avoid causing a scene! Plain and simple!
Nephilim

Altadena, CA

#21 Dec 7, 2008
I just went to www.target.com and searched on Christmas. 22,699 results on products.

I seem to recall Target being demonized for being anti-American in their treatment of our service people. That was a fraud as well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Before The Big Bang 11 min Gary Coaldigger 2,255
Glorifying the one and only true living God 1 hr blacklagoon 11
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 1 hr Seentheotherside 1,930
The duping of American Christians 2 hr Just the Truth 70
Is Paul a false Apostle? (Sep '13) 3 hr tahoegirl 2,451
Poll Was Paul a False Apostle? (May '08) 3 hr tahoegirl 3,174
For Atheist, Agnostics, Whoever... 4 hr susanblange 637
Poll 2015 edition: who is the dumbest fundie on topix? 7 hr Seentheotherside 144
The post count of Dollarsbill 12 hr ChristineM 1,271
More from around the web