Atheist Groups Increase on School Campuses

Sep 21, 2009 Full story: www.christianpost.com 600

Atheist and religious skeptic student groups are on the rise across the country's high school and college campuses.

Full Story

“Researching”

Since: Jun 08

-

#405 Sep 26, 2009
Good thing UNW doesn't allow Atheism in it's nation. If that happened, we would be corrupted like America and all of those other countries who experience retarded Atheists in their borders.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#406 Sep 26, 2009
UNW I am Duc De Puce wrote:
Good thing UNW doesn't allow Atheism in it's nation. If that happened, we would be corrupted like America and all of those other countries who experience retarded Atheists in their borders.
All humans born on earth are atheist, one must be indoctrinated to accept any religion. How many gods do you believe in?
Ocean56

AOL

#407 Sep 26, 2009
Roland_Deschain wrote:
Belief in superstitious nonsense is growing. Those hostile to intelligence and a good education are on the increase. There is no doubt about that. But what does this mean? What I see from this forum is Christians are angry people. They are angry and bitter. Bringing people down to their level of poor education. The Christian posts on here seethe with hatred of Atheism, not merely rejection of its arguments. Atheists are by far the best and nicest people I know. Despite this Atheists find themselves on a relentless torrent of unpleasant posts. Mocking rationality and bashing education. What I find most surprising is how anyone can be so nasty to people whose basic beliefs are based on reason, intelligence and education. Atheists are rational people. An Atheistic worldview has beneficial consequences. It frees people from the restraint of superstitious belief and enables them to understand the world and themselves using a rational, empirical evidence based approach rather than magic, dogma and hearsay. It’s a sad state of affairs when you feel the need to spend your spare time trashing other peoples beliefs. May the force be with you,
lol Very well put! I couldn't agree more.
:D
Ocean56

AOL

#408 Sep 26, 2009
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Too true my friend. There is nothing new under the sun. People have been saying this since day dot. We are being put to the test.
You have a choice to believe or not to believe. To submit to the will of God, or to exalt yourself.
We have faith. They have no faith. We have hope. They have dispair. We have love. The show no love. Peace
Actually, I see it a different way. We (atheists, agnostics, secularists) have freedom from the oppression of theocratic beliefs. Christian fundamentalists don't. We can make our own decisions in highly personal matters such as sex and reproduction. Christianistas are stuck with having their churches make those decisions FOR them. We are free to pursue whatever educational endeavors we choose. Some religions heavily frown on people having "too much education."

Given the choice between the miseries of religionist slavery and the happiness of secularist freedom, I'll choose freedom any day.

“Seek First! ”

Since: Mar 08

Woodstock, GA

#409 Sep 27, 2009
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
Easy to prove all of that, IF you accept the Bible as proof.
1) Matthew lied when he claimed Isaiah 7:14 as a Messianic prophecy, as reading Isaiah 7 clearly shows. Ergo, no "virgin" birth.
2) Well, okay. As a Jewish man Jesus was a son of God, just like every other Jewish male.
3) If Jesus had actually risen from the dead, or if ANY of the wondrous things surrounding his crucifiction actually occured, there would have been mention of it OUTSIDE of the propaganda written long after his death.
Let's just start with item number 1.

In the original Hebrew text of Isaiah 7:14 the scripture reads:

lka yTa (dny hW( lke (t hNh h)lmh hrh wyldt Ba wqr(t mO )MaW (l)MaW

Translated to the greek text:

dia touto dwsei kuriov autov umin shmeion idou h parqenov en gastri ecei kai tecetai uion kai kaleseiv to onoma autou Emmanouhl

Now..tell me where did you get Ergo?

My reference source: www.studylight.org

“Seek First! ”

Woodstock, GA

#410 Sep 27, 2009
Tickedoffchick wrote:
GDT919,
By the way, trying to impress me with the fact that you attend college doesn't work. I already went to college and my husband teaches for one of the top international business schools in the country. You can attempt to discredit well known facts, all you want. It doesn't make it the truth. Never will.
That's nice that you ATTENDED college. I am merely stating the truth. Everything you read on the internet is NOT truth. You have to ensure the sources are credible sources. Some people do lie you know for their own personal gain.

in love
<><

“Seek First! ”

Woodstock, GA

#411 Sep 27, 2009
Pete-o wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you prove he did?
Can you prove that an invisible Santa Claus is controlling the from my backyard?
Figures....
What is invisible Santa controlling Pete?

Can you prove any of it? I dare say you would even try.

in love
<><

“Seek First! ”

Woodstock, GA

#412 Sep 27, 2009
love_spell wrote:
<quoted text>
you dont read many christian posts on topix do you?!
TO THINE OWN SELF BE TRUE!
I only read them when I have a break from school. So, no I don't. Seems the foul language has gotten worse since my last break. Makes no sense to me why people have to type it. Why can't they just keep it in their tiny little brains instead of sharing it with those of us who neither want to see it in print or think about it? Shows their lack of intelligence and consideration. Oh well, maybe one day they will grow up.:)

in love
<><

“Seek First! ”

Woodstock, GA

#413 Sep 27, 2009
love_spell wrote:
<quoted text>
do you read and comprehend any of the posts made on this thread???
the bibull wasnt written by your god. it was written by human men.
and just because someone is not a christian doesnt mean they havent read and STUDIED the bibull.
i suggest you STUDY the bibull.
at least give it a shot.
TO THINE OWN SELF BE TRUE.
Why don't you have enough respect to at least call the book by it's rightful name THE BIBLE? I am sure you don't have a petty name for the koran, now do you?

in love
<><

“Seek First! ”

Woodstock, GA

#414 Sep 27, 2009
Tickedoffchick wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I do. However, if I already know what I'm posting is credible, instead of wasting time searching and referencing, I just post the article that states the most relevent info.
This forum is NOT your college class. People have limited time to spend on here. I'm sure you think AIG is credible. Where do you go to school, Fundie U?
I don't blame you for not wasting time on searching and referencing your sources before you post them. That would be making sure the source was credible. Just because you went to the source once, say CNN.com doesn't mean every thing posted there is credible. But go ahead and believe it. That is the way the world thinks. If it is CNN it has to be true. If it is Foxnews....it has to be true. Right....That is why you have to know the author and their credibility.

Would it actually matter where I went to college? I didn't think so.

in love
<><

“Seek First! ”

Woodstock, GA

#415 Sep 27, 2009
Missionary Man wrote:
Continued for Pete-o...
<quoted text>
The book of Mormon is not part of the Bible. It is from the Mormon religion and not considered to be Christian. It contradicts Scripture. The Gideon’s are a ministry and not a translation.
I recommend the NIV. It is my favorite but I study from others too. As far as the one "True" Bible you are looking for most new translations are very good. Only the original manuscripts written by the apostles, prophets are under the divine promise of inspiration and inerrancy. The books of the Bible, as they were originally written under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit (2 Timothy 3:16-17; 2 Peter 1:20-21), were 100% inerrant, accurate, authoritative, and true. There is no Biblical promise that copies of the original manuscripts would equally be inerrant or free from copyist errors. As the Bible has been copied thousands of times over thousands of years, some copyist errors have likely occurred.
It is important to know that the biblical manuscripts we have today are in 99% agreement with one another. Yes, there are some minor differences, but the vast majority of the biblical text is identical from one manuscript to another. Most of the differences are in punctuation, word endings, minor grammatical issues, word order, etc.– issues easily explainable as scribal mistakes. No important theological or biblical issue is thrown into doubt by any supposed error or contradiction. Biblical manuscripts from the 15th century agree completely with manuscripts from the 3rd century. We can have absolute confidence that the Bible we have today is almost exactly identical to what the apostles and prophets wrote 2000+ years ago.
<quoted text>
I'm not sure The Gideon's want you to steel their Bibles from hotels or not, but here is their web site: http://www.gideons.org/ Perhaps if you ask, they'll send you one for free.
As I said, my first choice is the NIV. I study most modern translations though.
While this is not the forum for this, I would like to ask why the NIV is your choice? It is a thought for thought translation. The NASB is a word for word translation which I find more accurate. Just curious.
Missionary Man

Shelby, OH

#416 Sep 27, 2009
GDT919 wrote:
<quoted text>
While this is not the forum for this, I would like to ask why the NIV is your choice? It is a thought for thought translation. The NASB is a word for word translation which I find more accurate. Just curious.
Well, mainly because my mother-in-law bought it for me for Christmas a long time ago. Before that I was reading from the KJV. The NIV was so much easier to read and understand than the KJV that I simply fell in love with it. Also later, at my Bible college it seemed to be the Bible of choice amongst most of my professors. It is also the translation of choice of our denomination.

New International Version - Translation method
The translation of each book of the Bible was assigned to a team of scholars, and the work was thoroughly reviewed and revised at various stages by three separate committees. The Committee submitted the developing version to stylistic consultants for their suggestions. Samples of the translation were tested for clarity and ease of reading by various groups of people. The Committee held to certain goals for the NIV: that it be an "accurate, beautiful, clear, and dignified translation suitable for public and private reading, teaching, preaching, memorizing, and liturgical use." The NIV is known especially as a "thought for thought" / "dynamic equivalence" rather than a "word for word" translation.

I don't think a "word for word" works. If you look at the pages of a KJV you will see many italicized words. These are words that have been added so the sentence will make sense. When the word they needed to communicate the Greek or Hebrew sentence into English was missing, they wrote the word, but in italics.
Pete-o

Union City, CA

#417 Sep 27, 2009
GDT919 wrote:
<quoted text>
What is invisible Santa controlling Pete?
Can you prove any of it? I dare say you would even try.
in love
<><
He is controlling all things in the universe and you can not prove otherwise. I have seen Backyard Santa do amazing things you should follow him.
Pete-o

Union City, CA

#418 Sep 27, 2009
Missionary Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't judge it till you read it.
<quoted text>
If they don't have it, you can probably find a used copy cheap at amazon.com
<quoted text>
The Bible is not like any other book in the world. Listen, God wanted us to know what He was thinking, so He gave us the Bible.
Sixty-six different books comprise the Bible. They include books of law, such as Leviticus and Deuteronomy; historical books, such as Ezra and Acts; books of poetry, such as Psalms and Ecclesiastes; books of prophecy, such as Isaiah and Revelation; biographies, such as Matthew and John; and epistles (formal letters) such as Titus and Hebrews.
About 40 different human authors contributed to the Bible, which was written over a period of about 1500 years. The authors were kings, fishermen, priests, government officials, farmers, shepherds, and doctors. From all this diversity comes an incredible unity, with common themes woven throughout.
The Bible's unity is due to the fact that, ultimately, it has one Author—God Himself. The Bible is “God-breathed”(2 Timothy 3:16). The human authors wrote exactly what God wanted them to write, and the result was the perfect and holy Word of God (Psalm 12:6; 2 Peter 1:21).
Check it out! I suggest you start with the Gospel of John in the New Testament.
Continued...
I will try not to prejudge Johnson, but I have seen interviews with him and have found he has little understanding of evolution, he is a lawyer by schooling and no science degree is in his possession.

As far the unity of the bible, wouldn't an all knowing god know a bat was not a bird?

I will read it, but you seem to be unaware of the many contradictions of the bible. You seem to think that it is perfect in every way.

Do you believe Jonah actually lived inside a fish? That a snake talked?

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#419 Sep 27, 2009
Pete-o wrote:
<quoted text>
He is controlling all things in the universe and you can not prove otherwise. I have seen Backyard Santa do amazing things you should follow him.
My Santachrist is better than your Santa!
http://www.bronners.com/1137356.html

“Researching”

Since: Jun 08

-

#420 Sep 27, 2009
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>All humans born on earth are atheist, one must be indoctrinated to accept any religion. How many gods do you believe in?
How many gods do YOU believe in?
Pete-o

Union City, CA

#421 Sep 27, 2009
<quoted text> My Santachrist is better than your Santa!
http://www.bronners.com/1137356.html
Backyard Santa will not take kindly to this.
Missionary Man

Shelby, OH

#422 Sep 27, 2009
Pete-o wrote:
<quoted text>
I will try not to prejudge Johnson, but I have seen interviews with him and have found he has little understanding of evolution, he is a lawyer by schooling and no science degree is in his possession.
Are you sure you want to publicly state that "Johnson has little understanding of evolution?" Don't you think that is stretching it just a bit? After all Phillip E. Johnson is considered the father of the intelligent design movement. So he must know a something.

Do you have a science degree? I ask this before and didn't get an answer. This book is written for lay people like me. If you have a doctorate in some area of science then perhaps it will be too elementary for you. It was great for me.
Pete-o wrote:
<quoted text>As far the unity of the bible, wouldn't an all knowing god know a bat was not a bird?
Of course! He created both.
Pete-o wrote:
<quoted text>
I will read it, but you seem to be unaware of the many contradictions of the bible.
So you've been told over and over again and now you (like so many others) believe it. If we read the Bible at face value, without a preconceived bias for finding errors (impossible for Atheist), we will find it to be a coherent, consistent, and relatively easy-to-understand book. Yes, there are difficult passages. Yes, there are verses that appear to contradict each other. We must remember that the Bible was written by approximately 40 different authors over a period of around 1500 years. Each writer wrote with a different style, from a different perspective, to a different audience, for a different purpose. We should expect some minor differences. However, a difference is not a contradiction. It is only an error if there is absolutely no conceivable way the verses or passages can be reconciled. Even if an answer is not available right now, that does not mean an answer does not exist. Many have found a supposed error in the Bible in relation to history or geography only to find out that the Bible is correct once further archaeological evidence is discovered.

I often receive questions along the lines of "Explain how these verses do not contradict!" or "Look, here is an error in the Bible!" Admittedly, some of the things people bring up are difficult to answer. However, it is my contention that there are viable and intellectually plausible answers to every supposed Bible contradiction and error. There are books and websites available that list "all the errors in the Bible." Most people simply get their ammunition from these places; they do not find supposed errors on their own. There are also books and websites available that refute every one of these supposed errors. The saddest thing is that most people who attack the Bible are not truly interested in an answer. Many "Bible attackers" are even aware of these answers, but they continue to use the same old shallow attacks again and again.
Pete-o wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to think that it is perfect in every way.
That's right, the Word of God is perfect in every way. Jesus is the Word of God.
Pete-o wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you believe Jonah actually lived inside a fish? That a snake talked?
Jesus spoke of Jonah's ordeal as a real historical event. He used it as a typological metaphor for His own crucifixion and resurrection, itself a miraculous event. Matthew quoted Jesus as saying, "for just as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the sea creature, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. The men of Nineveh will stand up with this generation at the judgment, and will condemn it because they repented at the preaching of Jonah; and behold, Someone greater than Jonah is here".

The evidence is such that any Christian should have confidence to believe and any skeptic should think twice before dismissing Jonah as a fairy tale.
Missionary Man

Shelby, OH

#423 Sep 27, 2009
CHRISTIAN
n. One who believes that the New Testament is a divinely inspired book admirably suited to the spiritual needs of his
neighbor. One who follows the teachings of Christ in so far as they are not inconsistent with a life of sin.
~ Ambrose Bierce
A dictionary definition of a Christian would be something similar to "a person professing belief in Jesus as the Christ or in the religion based on the teachings of Jesus." While this is a good starting point, like many dictionary definitions, it falls somewhat short of really communicating the biblical truth of what it means to be a Christian. The word "Christian" is used three times in the New Testament (Acts 11:26; 26:28; 1 Peter 4:16). Followers of Jesus Christ were first called "Christians" in Antioch (Acts 11:26) because their behavior, activity, and speech were like Christ. The word "Christian" literally means, "belonging to the party of Christ" or a "follower of Christ."

Unfortunately over time, the word "Christian" has lost a great deal of its significance and is often used of someone who is religious or has high moral values but who may or may not be a true follower of Jesus Christ. Many people who do not believe and trust in Jesus Christ consider themselves Christians simply because they go to church or they live in a "Christian" nation. But going to church, serving those less fortunate than you, or being a good person does not make you a Christian. Going to church does not make you a Christian anymore than going to a garage makes you an automobile. Being a member of a church, attending services regularly, and giving to the work of the church does not make you a Christian.

The Bible teaches that the good works we do cannot make us acceptable to God. Titus 3:5 says, "He saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit." So, a Christian is someone who has been born again by God (John 3:3; John 3:7; 1 Peter 1:23) and has put faith and trust in Jesus Christ. Ephesians 2:8 tells us that it is "...by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God."

A true Christian is a person who has put faith and trust in the person and work of Jesus Christ, including His death on the cross as payment for sins and His resurrection on the third day. John 1:12 tells us, "Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God." The mark of a true Christian is love for others and obedience to God's Word (1 John 2:4, 10). A true Christian is indeed a child of God, a part of God's true family, and one who has been given new life in Jesus Christ.
Pete-o

Union City, CA

#424 Sep 27, 2009
Missionary Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course! He created both.
<quoted text>
Y
I often receive questions along the lines of "Explain how these verses do not contradict!" or "Look, here is an error in the Bible!" Admittedly, some of the things people bring up are difficult to answer. However, it is my contention that there are viable and intellectually plausible answers to every supposed Bible contradiction and error. There are books and websites available that list "all the errors in the Bible." Most people simply get their ammunition from these places; they do not find supposed errors on their own. There are also books and websites available that refute every one of these supposed errors. The saddest thing is that most people who attack the Bible are not truly interested in an answer. Many "Bible attackers" are even aware of these answers, but they continue to use the same old shallow attacks again and again.
<quoted text>
That's right, the Word of God is perfect in every way. Jesus is the Word of God.
<quoted text>
Jesus spoke of Jonah's ordeal as a real historical event. He used it as a typological metaphor for His own crucifixion and resurrection, itself a miraculous event. Matthew quoted Jesus as saying, "for just as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the sea creature, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. The men of Nineveh will stand up with this generation at the judgment, and will condemn it because they repented at the preaching of Jonah; and behold, Someone greater than Jonah is here".
The evidence is such that any Christian should have confidence to believe and any skeptic should think twice before dismissing Jonah as a fairy tale.
Really anyone who would support ID has a limited knowledge of evolution, as all biological sciences support evolution again and again. Don't you think if a scientist could come up with a theory of ID instead of godidit they would?
This would be the most amazing scientific discovery of all time. Instead evolution keeps grower stronger with each day. New fossil discoveries are made everyday that support the theory. We see gradual transitional fossils in the fossil record.
Since a fossil is something very hard to come by, we have only found a very small amount. Some animals are lost in the millions of years since they became extinct. But fortunately discoveries are still being made. And you know what? They never have supported ID.
The main problem with ID is they have not even stated it as a theory, they are always a few years away from a "cohesive" theory.
And yes I will publicly state that Johnson either does not understand the theory of evolution or is deliberately deceiving people.
That being said I will read his book, but I seriously doubt you will read the book I recommended.
As I said before IT STATES in the bible, that a bat is a bird, do YOU believe a bat is a bird or can you explain that mistake away?
So I'll go out on a limb and guess you also believe the earth is 6000 yrs old, correct?
When you believe someone lived inside a fish for 3 day, there is probably no way to get through to you scientifically, some of us have logical minds, some of us credulous.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Dumbest Creationist on Earth 3 min Nc here 400
Police on alert across America after murder of ... 9 min dollarsbill 1
Cookie's Place (Oct '13) 9 min Nc here 18,015
Imagine that you had to tell an alien about God... 15 min dollarsbill 452
sex talk addiction 28 min NDanger 8
Jesus is God 31 min NDanger 101
Why doesn't God let its believers know who has ... 1 hr dollarsbill 700
Christian Topix forum? 1 hr NDanger 131
More from around the web