Tower of Babble vs NASA Question

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#355 Jul 30, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Where does it say the earth is flat? That is your interpretation. A circle is round.
In Hebrew, "heaven and earth" together constitute the universe. The earth has foundations and pillars (I Sam. ii. 8; Ps. lxxv. 4, civ. 5; Job ix. 6, xxxviii. 6); it rests on the ocean, out of which it rises (Ps. xxiv. 2, cxxxvi. 6); it is suspended in space (Job xxvi. 7); the idea of its free suspension in the air is especially worked out in the mystical "Book of Creation" (Sefer Ye&#7827;irah). Like most peoples of antiquity, the Hebrews conceived of the earth as a disk (Prov. viii. 27; Job xxvi. 10; Isa. xl. 22); and they spoke, therefore, of peoples like the Assyrians, Egyptians, Persians, and Medes as living at the ends of the earth.
-- jewishencyclopedia.com

“Wear white at night.”

Albuquerque

#356 Jul 30, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>God is called he, him, father, son, husband and man. God is also called she, her, mother, daughter, wife, and woman. God is not an hermaphrodite so God must be a woman. Where the scripture differentiates between male or female, it consistently is female. Mankind also includes woman. Son/sun is a pun in English. God wanted the world to believe she was a man, if Israel knew the truth, they would've been weakened by it. That is one of the reasons God kept her name a secret. If we knew the name of God, we would know she is a woman. When asked by Moses, God said her name is I AM.
Ancient Semitics were polytheistic up until about the time of Hezekiah and Josias. Ancient artifacts indicate that the fertility goddess Asherah was the wife and consort of Yahweh. Also the goddes of the Earth, Asherah was symbolized by a tree and frequently associated with temples to Yahweh. Asherah was by far the last of the Canaanite gods to be abandoned.
-- http://news.discovery.com/history/religion/go...

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#357 Jul 30, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>God is called he, him, father, son, husband and man. God is also called she, her, mother, daughter, wife, and woman. God is not an hermaphrodite so God must be a woman. Where the scripture differentiates between male or female, it consistently is female. Mankind also includes woman. Son/sun is a pun in English. God wanted the world to believe she was a man, if Israel knew the truth, they would've been weakened by it. That is one of the reasons God kept her name a secret. If we knew the name of God, we would know she is a woman. When asked by Moses, God said her name is I AM.
Considering that the English language didn't exist when the Bible was written, you're all wet.

And for the record, God said "My name is Jealous."

dollarsbill

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#358 Jul 30, 2013
Hardie-Har-Har wrote:
"The most reliable early manuscripts of the Gospel of Mark end at chapter 16, verse 8."
Lie!

dollarsbill

Location hidden

#359 Jul 30, 2013
susanblange wrote:
God is also called she, her, mother, daughter, wife, and woman.
Lie!
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#360 Jul 30, 2013
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
In Hebrew, "heaven and earth" together constitute the universe. The earth has foundations and pillars (I Sam. ii. 8; Ps. lxxv. 4, civ. 5; Job ix. 6, xxxviii. 6); it rests on the ocean, out of which it rises (Ps. xxiv. 2, cxxxvi. 6); it is suspended in space (Job xxvi. 7); the idea of its free suspension in the air is especially worked out in the mystical "Book of Creation" (Sefer Ye&#7827;irah). Like most peoples of antiquity, the Hebrews conceived of the earth as a disk (Prov. viii. 27; Job xxvi. 10; Isa. xl. 22); and they spoke, therefore, of peoples like the Assyrians, Egyptians, Persians, and Medes as living at the ends of the earth.
-- jewishencyclopedia.com
It doesn't matter. The earth is still round. I appreciate your research though.(smile)

“Wear white at night.”

Albuquerque

#361 Jul 30, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>It doesn't matter. The earth is still round. I appreciate your research though.(smile)
It does matter. The Bible is a theological document and no amount of crybaby apologetics will make it historically nor scientifically sound.

God bless you.

“Wear white at night.”

Albuquerque

#362 Jul 30, 2013
dollarsbill wrote:
<quoted text>
Lie!
It is not a lie.

-- http://www.bible-researcher.com/endmark.html
Big Al

Hibbing, MN

#363 Jul 30, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>It doesn't matter. The earth is still round. I appreciate your research though.(smile)
Both a circle and a disc are round but neither is a sphere. The earth is a sphere.

dollarsbill

Location hidden

#364 Jul 30, 2013
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
It does matter. The Bible is a theological document and no amount of crybaby apologetics will make it historically nor scientifically sound.
God bless you.
You just called God a liar.

dollarsbill

Location hidden

#365 Jul 30, 2013
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
It is not a lie.
-- http://www.bible-researcher.com/endmark.html
I just checked 22 English Bibles and they ALL go far beyond verse 8.
Job

Santa Clara, CA

#366 Jul 30, 2013
HighlyEvolved wrote:
<quoted text>
1. Were those five-year-olds inspired by God?
Once again, your analogy falls flat.

2. The Bible was written by men who believed the Earth was a flat disc, that women were property,

3. and that God impregnated a human woman who gave birth to him.
If that's the best they could do with your god's inspiration and guidance, then you really should shop around for a better god.
1. Why? Because of the odd question you just asked?

2. There's no proof that the ancient Hebrews believed in a flat earth. They lacked the terminology we have today so words to describe a 'sphere' did not exist. As far as men believing that women were the property of men, this was common among peoples in the near middle east. Do you have proof that, say, specific men of faith like Elijah and Daniel took that view?

By the way, things haven't changed much since then overall as far as a general view of women.

3. This would be a part of the chain leading into historical evidence of the resurrection. The only reason anyone can claim the resurrection did not happen is skepticism. Humans generally resurrect from the dead, particularly after predicting they would. If one can think 'outside' of their skepticism by reviewing the evidence of the resurrection, then they would really need to do the same with the virgin birth.

There are many false accusations concerning the Bible. Some of it may be a result of lack of understanding. Many of it seem to be more exaggerations that are more like "toppings" on a pizza. Something more to add to try and bring more flavor to the "misconceptions". The idea of the Bible teaching that the earth is flat would be one (some state that the Bible literally 'teaches' that the earth is flat).

It's also believed by many that assertions made about ancient peoples in general believing that the earth is flat is false as well.

“Wear white at night.”

Albuquerque

#367 Jul 30, 2013
dollarsbill wrote:
<quoted text>
You just called God a liar.
No I didn't.
Job

Santa Clara, CA

#369 Jul 30, 2013
Humans generally 'don't' resurrect from the dead.

dollarsbill

Location hidden

#370 Jul 30, 2013
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
No I didn't.
You did indeed!

" 15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
It does matter. The Bible is a theological document and no amount of crybaby apologetics will make it historically nor scientifically sound."

Your faith is in 'history' and 'science'. Mine is in Jesus.

dollarsbill

Location hidden

#371 Jul 30, 2013
Job wrote:
Humans generally 'don't' resurrect from the dead.
This is the terminal generation.

John 5:28-29 (KJV)
28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, 29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

“Wear white at night.”

Albuquerque

#372 Jul 30, 2013
dollarsbill wrote:
<quoted text>
I just checked 22 English Bibles and they ALL go far beyond verse 8.
He said 'early manuscripts', chucklehead, not '22 English Bibles'.

There are many important later additions to the Bible:

The parable of the woman taken in adultery.
"There are three that bear witness in heaven ...."
"God was manifest in the flesh."

and deletions:

'Jesus Barabbas'(Jesus, son of the father) to just 'Barabbas'.

God bless you (not Bible bless you).
Flygerian

Chickasha, OK

#373 Jul 30, 2013
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not fighting your fights. I'm calling you a liar.
God bless you.
Here lets try this again:

"And yet you only say this to me and not him lol showing your bias AGAIN"

dollarsbill

Location hidden

#374 Jul 30, 2013
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
He said 'early manuscripts', chucklehead, not '22 English Bibles'.
There are many important later additions to the Bible:
The parable of the woman taken in adultery.
"There are three that bear witness in heaven ...."
"God was manifest in the flesh."
and deletions:
'Jesus Barabbas'(Jesus, son of the father) to just 'Barabbas'.
God bless you (not Bible bless you).
Actually he said "The most RELIABLE early manuscripts". If you are going to refer to Scripture please cite them.

“God Loves Ilks!”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#375 Jul 30, 2013
dollarsbill wrote:
<quoted text>
You did indeed!
" 15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
It does matter. The Bible is a theological document and no amount of crybaby apologetics will make it historically nor scientifically sound."
Your faith is in 'history' and 'science'. Mine is in Jesus.
Helpful Hint: the Bible is not God.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
the essay of mark twain about the jews 1 hr Seentheotherside 71
The False Teachings of the Hebrew Israelites, s... (Jan '14) 1 hr Seentheotherside 1,938
The truth is difficult, I understand. 1 hr Seentheotherside 166
breath of god, and how we come to light. 2 hr Seentheotherside 80
Why did Christ come to Earth? (Oct '16) 2 hr Seen Is Awesome 1,165
Are Your Beliefs TRUE? 2 hr Seentheotherside 248
Early Christianity (Dec '16) 5 hr Barmsweb 2,620
More from around the web