What is Adultery and Fornication, Acc...

What is Adultery and Fornication, According to the Bible?

Posted in the Christian Forum

First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#1 Mar 13, 2011
Jesus said that the only exception for putting away a wife and marrying another woman was fornication (Mat 19:9, KJV). However, a wife cannot commit fornication, but rather adultery? As such, "Why do you suppose that Jesus said that the exception was fornication, rather than adultery?

“"Matt. 4:4"”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#2 Mar 13, 2011
gundee123 wrote:
Jesus said that the only exception for putting away a wife and marrying another woman was fornication (Mat 19:9, KJV). However, a wife cannot commit fornication, but rather adultery? As such, "Why do you suppose that Jesus said that the exception was fornication, rather than adultery?
Any sexual acts performed outside of marriage is considered, biblically, fornication. A wpman who has had sexual relations with a man she's not married to has then commited fornication, as well as adultry.
resident

Yorktown Heights, NY

#3 Mar 13, 2011
1INCHRIST wrote:
<quoted text>Any sexual acts performed outside of marriage is considered, biblically, fornication. A wpman who has had sexual relations with a man she's not married to has then commited fornication, as well as adultry.
Not quite. Unmarried persons sin is fornication, married persons sin is adultery. Fornication is not synonymous for sex.

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#4 Mar 13, 2011
1INCHRIST wrote:
<quoted text>Any sexual acts performed outside of marriage is considered, biblically, fornication. A wpman who has had sexual relations with a man she's not married to has then commited fornication, as well as adultry.
Is it adultery if she lies about her marital status?

“"Matt. 4:4"”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#5 Mar 13, 2011
resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Not quite. Unmarried persons sin is fornication, married persons sin is adultery. Fornication is not synonymous for sex.
o in your opinion sex has nothing to do with fornication? Clueless.

“Wear white at night.”

Albuquerque

#6 Mar 13, 2011
1INCHRIST wrote:
<quoted text>o in your opinion sex has nothing to do with fornication? Clueless.
Fornication has nothing to do with nothing except maybe in some third world theocracies.

“so tell me......”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#7 Mar 14, 2011
gundee123 wrote:
In my NKJ bible Matt 19.9 refers to it as sexual immorality.

I believe some would consider adultery and fornication to be the same thing. Here is one definition of fornication;

* voluntary sexual intercourse between persons not married to each other
* adultery: extramarital sex that willfully and maliciously interferes with marriage relations; "adultery is often cited as grounds for divorce"
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webw
Thinking

London, UK

#8 Mar 14, 2011
Who cares what the silly old bible says.

The important question to answer is about honest conduct with any partner.

Anything else is just outdated bumfluffery.

“theholychristian church.com”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#9 Mar 14, 2011
gundee123 wrote:
That quote is a mistranslation as is the quote: thou shalt not kill wich should be 'do no murder' as it correctly reads IN:

MAT 19: 18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

A married person can only commit Adultery.
A single or devorced can commit Fornication.

CO1 6: 9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

So if you are married and baptized, then devorced, you may not have sexual intercourse until you are married again. For there is no forgiveness for deliberate, conscious, willingly committed sins after the baptism - you then are condemned.

http://www.theholychristianchurch.com/cgi-bin...
HEB 10: 26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
HEB 10: 27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

IT IS NOT HOW YOU SEE IT: IT IS THE WAY IT IS.

Calling The Unbeliever, Confronting The Lukewarm, Exposing The Hypocrite!
Do Not Follow Men, Nor Churches! Come to me, says God!
http://www.theholychristianchurch.com/christi...
http://www.theholychristianchurch.com/repenta...

Location hidden

#10 Mar 14, 2011
gundee123 wrote:
I forgot to say: the bible ha errors, make sure you note them. The two here mentioned are clearly contradicting in different passages, so they can be spotted as
mistranslation. All that Jesus said is perfect. If something is not perfect then it was not from Jesus and probably added or mistranslated. But there are only two or
three items in the whole new testament. Read the whole NT to find the truth.

NEW HEAVEN AND NEW EARTH
REV 21: 1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

QUITTNER

Toronto, Canada

#11 Mar 14, 2011
12:35 pm, Monday, March 14, 2011:
RE: What is Adultery and Fornication, According to the Bible?
..... I suppose some people think that the English word "adultery" means in 2011 that adults are expected to do that all the time! Maybe in Jesus' time they didn't because they used the Aramaic language then.[LAUGHS sadly]
..... Note that in Jesus' time they didn't have any recorders, and that therefore probably the writers of the gospels wrote only what THEY thought Jesus might have been saying under the given circumstances.

“Wear white at night.”

Albuquerque

#12 Mar 14, 2011
Thinking wrote:
Who cares what the silly old bible says.
The important question to answer is about honest conduct with any partner.
Anything else is just outdated bumfluffery.
I threw a party and was not comfortable showing preference for just one girlfriend so I invited them all. The only thing that came of it was one more girlfriend.

Location hidden

#13 Mar 14, 2011
1INCHRIST wrote:
Any sexual acts performed outside of marriage is considered, biblically, fornication.
Well, I most respectfully submit that in my humble opinion, any sexual acts performed outside of marriage are only considered “today.” However, this was not the case during the biblical days. For example, Abraham had sex with his handmaid although he was married to Sara. Nonetheless, nowhere in the bible is he ever considered to have committed adultery, right?

So, with this in mind, what if the sin “adultery” only applied when a married women was involved. In other words, a man (regardless if he was married or single) could only be guilty of adultery if he had sex with another man’s wife. Perhaps, this is why Abraham having sex with Hagar was not considered adultery, right ?

Now, if you would like to take this a step further, please read Lev 20:10, i.e.,“And the man that committeth adultery with another man's wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbour's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death”(KJV). Please notice here that the marital status of the man is unimportant, but rather only the marital status of the woman is revealed, right?

Simply put, what if the biblical definition of adultery was a “married woman” who has sex with a man who is not her husband (smile).
1INCHRIST wrote:
A woman who has had sexual relations with a man she's not married to has then commited fornication, as well as adultry.
Well, what if the meaning of “fornication”(just like adultery) has evolved over the last 2,000 years. In other words, today’s definition is based on the cultural and traditions of man, as opposed to the biblical definition, i.e., a “betrothal wife” who has sex with another man before her marriage is consummated.

Location hidden

#14 Mar 14, 2011
angelinaUK wrote:
In my NKJ bible Matt 19.9 refers to it as sexual immorality.
I believe some would consider adultery and fornication to be the same thing. Here is one definition of fornication;
* adultery: extramarital sex that willfully and maliciously interferes with marriage relations; "adultery is often cited as grounds for divorce"
Yes, I readily concede that adultery and fornication are often time considered to be the same thing today. However, these two words had different meanings in biblical times.

In other words, while both words identified a woman who was having prohibited sex, the difference was the woman’s status when she engaged in the sexual act with a man.

As such, if the woman had already consummated her marriage with her husband, then she would have committed adultery if afterwards she slept with another man. However, if the woman was betrothal to be married and slept with another man before she consummated her marriage with her husband, then she would have committed fornication, right?

So, with this in mind, I think that you would agree that both adultery and fornication can both be considered an act of sexual immorality, right (smile)?

Location hidden

#15 Mar 14, 2011
Cliff09 wrote:
That quote is a mistranslation as is the quote: thou shalt not kill wich should be 'do no murder' as it correctly reads IN:
MAT 19: 18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
A married person can only commit Adultery.
A single or devorced can commit Fornication.
If I may very respectfully ask,“What if the commandment that prohibited killing (or murdering) only applied to such an offense against an Israelite?” You see, there are countless places in the bible where God condone or ordered the killing (or murder if you prefer) of other people, right?
Cliff09 wrote:
CO1 6: 9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,[/QUOTE
In my humble opinion, this verse does not define what adultery is, but rather simply informs us that “adulterers” will not inherit the kingdom of God, right (smile)?
[QUOTE who="Cliff09"] So if you are married and baptized, then devorced, you may not have sexual intercourse until you are married again. For there is no forgiveness for deliberate, conscious, willingly committed sins after the baptism - you then are condemned.
http://www.theholychristianchurch.com/cgi-bin...
If you would be so kind, please cite the specific scripture that you interpret to mean that a married/baptized and later divorce person cannot have sex outside of a marriage (smile).
Cliff09 wrote:
HEB 10: 26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
HEB 10: 27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.
IT IS NOT HOW YOU SEE IT: IT IS THE WAY IT IS.
Calling The Unbeliever, Confronting The Lukewarm, Exposing The Hypocrite! Do Not Follow Men, Nor Churches! Come to me, says God!
http://www.theholychristianchurch.com/christi... http://www.theholychristianchurch.com/repenta...
With all due respect, I do not see the relevance in these verses to the topic of this thread (smile).

Location hidden

#16 Mar 14, 2011
Cliff09 wrote:
I forgot to say: the bible ha errors, make sure you note them. The two here mentioned are clearly contradicting in different passages, so they can be spotted as mistranslation. All that Jesus said is perfect. If something is not perfect then it was not from Jesus and probably added or mistranslated. But there are only two or three items in the whole new testament. Read the whole NT to find the truth.
NEW HEAVEN AND NEW EARTH
REV 21: 1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.
Yes, I agree that the bible contain errors. On the other hand, if what Jesus said at Mat 19:9 is true, then I think that it is very important to understand what specifically He is saying, rather than simply misinterpret what He said according to one’s beliefs, right (smile)?

Location hidden

#17 Mar 14, 2011
QUITTNER wrote:
12:35 pm, Monday, March 14, 2011:
RE: What is Adultery and Fornication, According to the Bible?
..... I suppose some people think that the English word "adultery" means in 2011 that adults are expected to do that all the time! Maybe in Jesus' time they didn't because they used the Aramaic language then.[LAUGHS sadly]
..... Note that in Jesus' time they didn't have any recorders, and that therefore probably the writers of the gospels wrote only what THEY thought Jesus might have been saying under the given circumstances.
Are you another fool trying to sound inteligent?

The word adultery is not only explained in the bible by god and others but it is also evidently of the same meaning - sex with another then your wife.

With fornication it is the same. They derive not from the time of Jesus but the time of Moses, way back!

The old book of Chronicals:
CH2 21: 11 Moreover he made high places in the mountains of Judah and caused the inhabitants of Jerusalem to commit fornication, and compelled Judah thereto.

Exodus
EXO 20: 14 Thou shalt not commit adultery.
PRO 6: 32 But whoso committeth adultery with a woman lacketh understanding: he that doeth it destroyeth his own soul.

Calling The Unbeliever, Confronting The Lukewarm, Exposing The Hypocrite

Location hidden

#18 Mar 14, 2011
angelinaUK wrote:
<quoted text>In my NKJ bible Matt 19.9 refers to it as sexual immorality.
Which is nothing different than the meaning interpreted for the last 4000+ years in the bible. What are you saying now again? Are you tell trying to justify that you
are a fornicator while you claim to be a christian, using this as an excuse that fornication is not allowed?? Have I not demonstrated to you very clearly and soundly,
with scriptural backup on the matter that I am absolutely correct and that your churches are whorehouses that are fooling you all??
Read Again:

“so tell me......”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#19 Mar 14, 2011
Cliff09 wrote:
<quoted text>
Which is nothing different than the meaning interpreted for the last 4000+ years in the bible. What are you saying now again? Are you tell trying to justify that you
are a fornicator while you claim to be a christian, using this as an excuse that fornication is not allowed?? Have I not demonstrated to you very clearly and soundly,
with scriptural backup on the matter that I am absolutely correct and that your churches are whorehouses that are fooling you all??
Read Again:
On what grounds do you accuse me of fornication? You don't even know me.

Location hidden

#20 Mar 14, 2011
angelinaUK wrote:
<quoted text>On what grounds do you accuse me of fornication? You don't even know me.
I did simply ask - not accuse.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A Christian is just as foolish as everyone else 44 min Joe M 1
Early Christianity 48 min Rick 348
Did Adam And Eve Ever Get Married? (Apr '09) 1 hr dollarsbil 301
Who caused the Temple to be defiled? 1 hr dollarsbil 2
When did Satan ever tell "THE LIE?" (John 8:44) (Mar '10) 1 hr dollarsbil 68
Jehovah Witnesses collect addresses and phone n... 1 hr dollarsbil 161
is it me or who else can see demons and angels ? (Nov '11) 1 hr dollarsbil 340
The Nativity Story 1 hr dollarsbil 279
Intelligent People Question Everything 2 hr rogsuckbigones 1,152
gen 49: 27 2 hr buster 881