Why does God want us to Forgive?

Why does God want us to Forgive?

Posted in the Christian Forum

“Never forgive, never forget...”

Since: Jul 13

Hate fills my heart...

#1 Jul 21, 2013
There are those who has done some really bad things to you. And yet, God wants us to forgive these same people? Man, f*k that! Never forgive, never forget!

“be free indeed”

Since: Jul 09

massachusetts

#2 Jul 22, 2013
Annibale O Hateful One wrote:
There are those who has done some really bad things to you. And yet, God wants us to forgive these same people? Man, f*k that! Never forgive, never forget!
This is very hard for us to do, and impossible without God's help.

That's why its wonderful that Jesus forgave all on the cross. Also in Hebrews it says "I will remember their sins no more" If we trust in His full payment for our sins, God chooses by His sovereign will to forget, and gives us the power to forgive others.

None of this says you can't use the legal system though.

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#3 Jul 22, 2013
God wants us to forgive because unforgiveness is sin. However, just because we forgive someone, that doesn't mean that we have to associate or trust them again. Why is that? Just because you have forgiven someone for their offence against you, doesn't mean that they've changed!

They might still be going around hurting others. But your forgiveness of their offence against you will free up more of your heart for Christ to dwell in.

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#4 Jul 22, 2013
cont. from above:
I will also help you to have a better attitude because you won't be carrying that hatefulness inside of you.

You must have been hurt awfully bad. But I want you to know that your unforgiveness is hurting you much more than the perpetrator. Most people have a hard time forgiving someone when they've carried unforgiveness for a long time.

However, instead of having hateful thoughts toward him (or her), begin to vision (in your mind) that you are talking to Him after you have already forgiven him. Picture a good conversation coming about. Allow this to settle in your heart over a period of time.

It would be hard to try to change your heart all at once because of the hateful feelings that have resided there for so long, but if you feed your heart with an opposing vision, you'll begin to see the difference and you will soon be able to forgive him conpletely, AND you will be free from those hateful feelings and your the bad tude you carry. It will free YOU up.

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#5 Jul 22, 2013
God wants us to forgive because hatred is destructive. Usually self destructive. Even secular philosophers and modern medicine are in agreement. The hippies had it right when they said "Chill out, man".
JustaGuy

Germany

#8 Jul 22, 2013
scambuster wrote:
<quoted text>
God wants us to forgive because hatred is destructive. Usually self destructive. Even secular philosophers and modern medicine are in agreement. The hippies had it right when they said "Chill out, man".
The petulant, vengeful god of the bible wants us to forgive? You are very good at irony.

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#9 Jul 22, 2013
JustaGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
The petulant, vengeful god of the bible wants us to forgive? You are very good at irony.
Are you trying to pick a fight, make a straw man out of my advice, or something else? If it's something else, please explain so that I may understand you better.
JustaGuy

Germany

#10 Jul 22, 2013
scambuster wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you trying to pick a fight, make a straw man out of my advice, or something else? If it's something else, please explain so that I may understand you better.

Your unforgiving god wants us to forgive. Are you unable to see the irony in this?

dollarsbill

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#11 Jul 22, 2013
And neither are you forgiven by God.

Luke 6:37 (NKJV)
37 Forgive, and you will be forgiven.
Punisher

Massapequa, NY

#12 Jul 22, 2013
The point is usually to forgive those who ASK for it. Honestly ask for it...not to go around forgiving for the hell of it. "Oh you cut me off in line, I forgive you! What you slept with my best friend? Oh I forgive you...(cause I slept with your best friend! LOL!)

The whole point of Xtianity is to seek forgiveness from the God, because you're a dirty sin tainted Human, who despite the rhetoric to the contrary, are still suffering under Adams sin legacy. You're a low down piece of seafloor whale dung, who needs to beg and seek forgiveness, in order to gain entre into this Gods gold-plated, jewel encrusted Night Club, where the drinks are all you can drink for eternity and there is always a willing dance partner, and the shows never end...and the shrimp bar is always full, and bacon is available for all...
Punisher

Massapequa, NY

#13 Jul 22, 2013
scambuster wrote:
<quoted text>
One need not hate not to forgive.
Thinking

Lymington, UK

#17 Jul 23, 2013
To forgive is human.
To be vengeful and vindictive is godly.
JustaGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Your unforgiving god wants us to forgive. Are you unable to see the irony in this?

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#18 Jul 23, 2013
Thinking wrote:
To forgive is human.
To be vengeful and vindictive is godly.
<quoted text>
Good morning,

In my opinion it has a better ring to it if you replace 'godly' with 'divine'.
Thinking

Lymington, UK

#19 Jul 23, 2013
Good afternoon.
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
Good morning,
Punisher

Tuckahoe, NY

#20 Jul 23, 2013
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
Good morning,
Who's the chica?

dollarsbill

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#21 Jul 25, 2013
GOD wrote:
<quoted text>Do not worry my child, as I have not forgiven you either.
Prophet of dung?

“Repent and worship God”

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#22 Jul 25, 2013
JustaGuy wrote:
<quoted text>The petulant, vengeful god of the bible wants us to forgive? You are very good at irony.
He forgives too.
Thinking

Royston, UK

#23 Jul 25, 2013
Is that meant to impress anyone?

Forgiveness is a basic tenet of humanity that long predates your religion.
Phoenix Ascended wrote:
<quoted text>
He forgives too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
failed prophecies 29 min Sceptical Mal 810
Forum has gone to the dogs 44 min Sceptical Mal 166
Early Christianity 1 hr Barmsweb 1,362
What religion was Enoch, Noah, and Abraham? (Oct '12) 5 hr Taranis 274
Intelligent People Question Everything (Sep '16) 6 hr Taranis 2,317
What God Said About Barnsweb: 7 hr littlelambWAS MYS... 72
If you believe in Noah's Ark, you are a certifi... (Dec '08) 8 hr -Prince of Darkness- 1,346
More from around the web