Is drug-use (which includes the use o...

Is drug-use (which includes the use of tobacco) permissible for xtians?

Created by Frank on Jan 31, 2013

5 votes

Click on an option to vote

No

Yes

Hard-drugs no, tobacco yes

I don't know

Yeshuah doesn't care if we get high

“God Loves Ilks!”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#1 Jan 31, 2013
The only reference made to these drugs in the Catholic Catechism is with reference to the virtue of temperance which “disposes us to avoid every kind of excess: the abuse of food, alcohol, tobacco, or medicine.” (CCC, 2290)

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#2 Jan 31, 2013
I don't know, Nettiebelle.

What I do know is I went to confession several months ago about a half hour before Mass and whatever penance Father Jim imposed needed to begin right away but I asked him if it was OK to have a smoke first and he said it was OK. No additional penance was imposed.

Now that I think about it, if something is a sin or the near occasion of sin or the temptation to sin you will know. It's not some kind of guessing game or moral dilemma or coin toss; if it's a sin you'll know.

God bless you.

“Jesus=only way into Heaven”

Since: Nov 12

saved by grace through faith

#3 Jan 31, 2013
A great quote from Dwight Lyman Moody:

"If a man gets drunk and goes out and breaks his leg so that it must be amputated, God will forgive him if he asks it, but he will have to hop around
on one leg all his life."

----------
Punisher

Massapequa, NY

#4 Jan 31, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
A great quote from Dwight Lyman Moody:
"If a man gets drunk and goes out and breaks his leg so that it must be amputated, God will forgive him if he asks it, but he will have to hop around
on one leg all his life."
----------
You find that insightful...? No wonder you're a Xtian fundy. You probably find watching paint dry a fun time.
Punisher

Massapequa, NY

#5 Jan 31, 2013
Nettiebelle wrote:
The only reference made to these drugs in the Catholic Catechism is with reference to the virtue of temperance which “disposes us to avoid every kind of excess: the abuse of food, alcohol, tobacco, or medicine.”(CCC, 2290)
Excess? Like the excessive attempts to shelter molesting priests, mov'n them around excessively, fighting against lengthening the statute of limitation on child abuse cases...that kind of excess..?

“Jesus=only way into Heaven”

Since: Nov 12

saved by grace through faith

#6 Jan 31, 2013
Punisher wrote:
<quoted text>You find that insightful...? No wonder you're a Xtian fundy. You probably find watching paint dry a fun time.
There are consequences for sin. Drunkards and drug addicts have serious health issues and early deaths..........tobacco use causes cancer.......overeating causes obesity and heart disease........sex outside of God's way causes STDs and AIDS/HIV........
Punisher

Massapequa, NY

#7 Jan 31, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
There are consequences for sin. Drunkards and drug addicts have serious health issues and early deaths..........tobacco use causes cancer.......overeating causes obesity and heart disease........sex outside of God's way causes STDs and AIDS/HIV........
Duh!

FYI, I never got any STDs, nada, zilch, zip - and I had a lot of sex prior to marriage. So you're wrong - again!

BTW the SEX doesnt cause STDS, they were created by your alleged compassionate God. They exist, sex merely spreads them...not cause them...

Gods way? Like "spiritually" raping a teen girl?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Religion, higher education and critical thinking 11 min Truth 104
4,70,000 errors, mistakes, contradictions in bible 15 min Big Al 420
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 8 hr dollarsbill 7,967
Noah’s ark and the rainbow. 9 hr dollarsbill 808
Here is My Spiritual Dilemma ... 10 hr Jeremiah_one 63
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) 10 hr 15th Dalai Lama 84,395
Hell Fire, the Eternal Home for Gays and Lesbians 12 hr dollarsbill 21
More from around the web