common sense, reason & science are w...
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#923 Dec 3, 2012
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
Please define evo-fundie.
Presently there are not atheist fundies nor caholic fundies 'out here'.
You left out idiot-fundies.
An evo-fundie would be one who claims that God had nothing to do with the origin life or its development. You can see what one looks like when you look in the mirror.

Cookie_Parker

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#924 Dec 3, 2012
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
I was a bit more thorough in my research:
1) Fundie: an abbreviation of "fundamentalist"
2) Sola scriptura non-denominational born-again Christian
3) Self-proclaimed "Jesus Freak"
4) Spouts half-understood scripture at the drop of a hat
5) Pop Christian who shows an extraordinary lack of tolerance/understanding for others
6) Homophobe or any other phobia of most people who differ from him in any way
7) The threat of eternal torture in "Hell" is the fundie's primary method of insulting others
8) He bases his conviction on a millennia-old book of badly-written tribal customs
9) The brain is underdeveloped and a host of outlandish delusions
10) The basic message is 'hate thy neighbor'
11) A heavily right-winged person trying to force his religion down other people's throats
12) Impossible to communicate with as he uses the bible as proof that he is right
13) Distorts and misrepresents scientific theories and practices.
14) Actually believes the universe was literally created in 7 days
15) Harasses people by asking them whether or not they have been saved
16) Cartoonishly closed-minded
17) An embarrassment to America.
This certainly describes the born again evangelical republican political movement masquerading as Christian to a tee, 15th. Great post!!!

Cookie_Parker

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#925 Dec 3, 2012
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
We get that, a fundie.
2) Sola scriptura non-denominational born-again Christian
.
8) He bases his conviction on a millennia-old book of badly-written tribal customs
.
12) Impossible to communicate with as he uses the Bible as proof that he is right
Ever notice that words like faith, are left out of their vocabulary?

“The Topix Legend of "GS8"!”

Since: Sep 10

Yunited States, North America

#926 Dec 3, 2012
dumb!

Roland_Deschain

“Naturalism - Nature is Enough”

Since: Nov 07

Ashford, UK

#927 Dec 3, 2012
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheist and skeptics are just as closed-minded and dogmatic about their views as a fundamentalist.
Examples please.
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists and skeptics oppose Christianity.
IMHO disbelieving in a deity / deities is not the same as opposing the religion / religions which follow them.
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
They never make a good counter argument against it but merely assert.
While all your arguments are based on reason / logic and backed with sound evidence. BTW, the post I am currently responding to is one big assertion.

Roland_Deschain

“Naturalism - Nature is Enough”

Since: Nov 07

Ashford, UK

#928 Dec 3, 2012
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
An evo-fundie would be one who claims that God had nothing to do with the origin life
Biological evolution does not have anything to do with origins.
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
or its development.
Evolution neither excludes or includes "God'.
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
You can see what one looks like when you look in the mirror.
Are you a mammal?
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#929 Dec 3, 2012
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheist and skeptics are just as closed-minded and dogmatic about their views as a fundamentalist. Atheists and skeptics oppose Christianity. They never make a good counter argument against it but merely assert.
That's funny because in my many arguments against biblical inerrancy, etc. earlier in this thread, I gave you lots of references and quoted WHOLE PASSAGES from modern Bible scholars explaining the flaws of your Bible.

You, on the other hand, keep "just asserting" crap like "atheists can have no meaning in their lives," no matter how many times you are told the very opposite is true.

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Santa Fe, NM

#930 Dec 3, 2012
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
An evo-fundie would be one who claims that God had nothing to do with the origin life or its development. You can see what one looks like when you look in the mirror.
Sorry, Jeff, I may ridicule your infantile view of everything but I haven't made that claim. In fact I've stipulated that God is responsible for the origin of life so the discussion could move along but you remain mired in your ignorance.

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Santa Fe, NM

#931 Dec 3, 2012
Cookie_Parker wrote:
<quoted text>
This certainly describes the born again evangelical republican political movement masquerading as Christian to a tee, 15th. Great post!!!
I do not claim that as original work but a compendium of definitions found on the internet.

If you like that you may find '100 Stupid Games Fundies Play' amusing.

http://www.ralliance.org/GamesFundiesPlay.htm...

The list is pushing 150 and I have two of my own:

I almmost finished the tenth grade so explain evolution in terms I will understand.

I find the theory of evolution interesting but I have a few questions.

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Santa Fe, NM

#932 Dec 3, 2012
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
A saved person becomes a child of God, sealed by the Holy Spirit unto the day of redemption. I could quote hundreds of verses backing this very basic bible truth but instead I'd encourage you to read the bible for yourself.
Ephesians 4:30
And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.
Ephesians 1:13-14
13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.
And Paul tells an entirely different message to the Hebrews.

"For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

I'll not play dueling scripture with you. I know the Bible as well or better than you and I am not mired in King James' piss poor translation.

Cookie_Parker

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#933 Dec 3, 2012
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not claim that as original work but a compendium of definitions found on the internet.
If you like that you may find '100 Stupid Games Fundies Play' amusing.
http://www.ralliance.org/GamesFundiesPlay.htm...
The list is pushing 150 and I have two of my own:
I almmost finished the tenth grade so explain evolution in terms I will understand.
I find the theory of evolution interesting but I have a few questions.
Thanks for the link. It'll come in handy all the time, I know.

“Jesus=only way into Heaven”

Since: Nov 12

saved by grace through faith

#934 Dec 3, 2012
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
And Paul tells an entirely different message to the Hebrews.
"For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.
I'll not play dueling scripture with you. I know the Bible as well or better than you and I am not mired in King James' piss poor translation.
That verse proves what I have stated. You can't be born again and again and again and again. Anyway if you keep reading down to verse 9 you'll see Paul states that he is not talking about saved individuals.

Hebrews 6:4-9
4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,

5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,

6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

7 For the earth which drinketh in the rain that cometh oft upon it, and bringeth forth herbs meet for them by whom it is dressed, receiveth blessing from God:

8 But that which beareth thorns and briers is rejected, and is nigh unto cursing; whose end is to be burned.

9 But, beloved, we are persuaded better things of you, and things that accompany salvation, though we thus speak.
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#936 Dec 3, 2012
Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
That's funny because in my many arguments against biblical inerrancy, etc. earlier in this thread, I gave you lots of references and quoted WHOLE PASSAGES from modern Bible scholars explaining the flaws of your Bible.
You, on the other hand, keep "just asserting" crap like "atheists can have no meaning in their lives," no matter how many times you are told the very opposite is true.
And your arguments against the Bible were refuted. You showed a lot of ignorance about the Bible in the process BTW.
It is true that if atheism is true it does not matter how you live. It is absolutely purposeless. Richard Dawkins says it far better than I do.

Since: Oct 07

Edinburgh, UK

#937 Dec 3, 2012
kelvo wrote:
<quoted text> Well im ineterparting it as that because the argument you were having with roman,it seem's as if your argument is if you do Good works and be a good person you can inherit Gods kingdom (correct me if im wrong) wich would be changing the word for your benefit but not for truth.
I am afraid you are wrong ,I wasn't arguing with Romans for a start and our discussion wasn't about works ..I simply posted what Jesus quoted saying not all who call on the name of the Lord will be saved as opposed too the scripture Romans posted saying all who call on the name of the Lord will be saved ..I simply quoted words attributed to Jesus ..I at this point am not 100 per cent convinced one way or the other whether all who call on his name will be saved or all who call on his name wont be saved ..where do you stand on this all who call on him will be or all who call on him wont be or do you have a way of reconciling these scriptures to not contradict themselves ?
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#938 Dec 3, 2012
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
And your arguments against the Bible were refuted.
Not by YOU, certainly. LOL
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
You showed a lot of ignorance about the Bible in the process BTW.
You label any other than your tired, cliched fundamentalist CULT programming about the Bible as "ignorant." You are unable, partly due to intelligence, partly due to programming, to step out of the tiny little box and imagine other spiritual realities.
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
It is true that if atheism is true it does not matter how you live.
Not true at all. It matters very much to atheists how they live, love, treat other people, etc. They just don't impute it all to a magic Jewish Wizard up in the sky.
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Richard Dawkins says it far better than I do.
Give us a passage from one of his books where Dawkins claims that his own personal life has no meaning at all, is empty, etc.

This should be fun.:) You are not intelligent enough to discriminate between Dawkins saying that the universe "APPEARS" to have no purpose, and each individual such as Dawkins and you and I GIVING OUR OWN MEANING to our lives and those of the people around us.

“Jesus=only way into Heaven”

Since: Nov 12

saved by grace through faith

#939 Dec 3, 2012
loveismygoal wrote:
<quoted text>I am afraid you are wrong ,I wasn't arguing with Romans for a start and our discussion wasn't about works ..I simply posted what Jesus quoted saying not all who call on the name of the Lord will be saved as opposed too the scripture Romans posted saying all who call on the name of the Lord will be saved ..I simply quoted words attributed to Jesus ..I at this point am not 100 per cent convinced one way or the other whether all who call on his name will be saved or all who call on his name wont be saved ..where do you stand on this all who call on him will be or all who call on him wont be or do you have a way of reconciling these scriptures to not contradict themselves ?
A person that truly accepts Christ as their Lord and Saviour will be saved(Romans 10:9-10). This conversion will be evidenced by a changed life (2 Corinthians 5:17). Just repeating a prayer and not meaning it will not save a person.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#940 Dec 3, 2012
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
A person that truly accepts Christ as their Lord and Saviour will be saved(Romans 10:9-10). This conversion will be evidenced by a changed life (2 Corinthians 5:17). Just repeating a prayer and not meaning it will not save a person.
Matthew 25:31-46.

Those saved are saved by virtue of their having performed selfless good works. No mention of needing to believe in anything or anyone.

Apparently your heaven will be chock FULL of those "saved" from eternal torture by their good works!

“Jesus=only way into Heaven”

Since: Nov 12

saved by grace through faith

#941 Dec 3, 2012
Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
Matthew 25:31-46.
Those saved are saved by virtue of their having performed selfless good works. No mention of needing to believe in anything or anyone.
Apparently your heaven will be chock FULL of those "saved" from eternal torture by their good works!
Those verses were already explained by me multiple times. In their context they are referring to the end of the tribulation period when Christ returns to set up His millennial kingdom.

Even if we take them out of context like you keep trying to do, a true Christian will produce good works(2 Corinthians 5:17). We can't earn our salvation (Ephesians 2:8-9)
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#942 Dec 3, 2012
Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
Matthew 25:31-46.
Those saved are saved by virtue of their having performed selfless good works. No mention of needing to believe in anything or anyone.
Apparently your heaven will be chock FULL of those "saved" from eternal torture by their good works!
If you look carefully how Jesus refers to each group you will find that He refers to them as sheep and goats. The sheep are those who have believed in Him for salvation (saved) and do good works while the goats do not do good because they don't have the Spirit of Christ in them.
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#943 Dec 3, 2012
Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>

Give us a passage from one of his books where Dawkins claims that his own personal life has no meaning at all, is empty, etc.
This should be fun.:) You are not intelligent enough to discriminate between Dawkins saying that the universe "APPEARS" to have no purpose, and each individual such as Dawkins and you and I GIVING OUR OWN MEANING to our lives and those of the people around us.
In his famous book The Blind Watchmaker, Dawkin claims:

“In a universe of blind physical forces and genetic replication, some people are going to get hurt, other people are going to get lucky, and you won’t find any rhyme or reason in it, nor any justice. The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil and no good, nothing but blind pitiless indifference.” p.133

Now Dawkins is smarter than you so you should believe this.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
why does the DEVIL need souls in hell ? (Oct '08) 21 min Itsnotme 225
Alert Christian Troll Defeats The Troll 6 hr Why 1
Poll Did the Bible says no more Prophet after Jesus? (Jun '08) 6 hr Why 1,008
"The Stand" [1994] Sat Abishai100 1
Who or what is the Son of Man (Feb '14) Fri TLE 563
The Awakening of The Hebrew Israelites (Dec '15) Fri Hebrew torah keeper 80
is it me or who else can see demons and angels ? (Nov '11) Thu William Keziah 476
More from around the web