Did Adam And Eve Ever Get Married?
pearl

Salt Lake City, UT

#82 Dec 2, 2012
TTIN wrote:
Nowhere in the Bible does it mention Adam and Eve getting married. Were Adam and Eve living in sin when they had sex? And if they did get married who did the marriage? Who was the priest? Did God create a third person(Steve?) just to officiate the marriage ceremony and they just didn't put it in the Bible? Doesn't mention a third person.
If Adam and Eve didn't get married, if they had extramarital sex then how can it be a sin? If it was good enough for Adam and Eve it's good enough for today.
Adam and Eve weren't two people, they were a culture of hunter gatherers. Their decendants becoming herders and farmers. It's the retelling of the agriculture revolution in the area of the fertile crescent.

Hell Sucks

“THE HEAT IS ON”

Since: Apr 12

Satan IS in "The Church"

#83 Dec 2, 2012
Time and Space wrote:
Fill in the blanks please...
A marriage is official when_________?
If your a native, living on an Iland...how is a marriage created between man and woman or couple?
Who decides if a marriage is legitimate or not?...
A.State or Government?
B.The two people involved?
C.A divine god?
D.None of the above?
E.Can't believe Notre Dame is playing in the BCS finals...
I'm skipping the native on an Island and moving right along to then and now.

It depends what era you speak of. It was a bit different at the beginning of mankind as opposed to this day.

The answer back then with Adam and Eve would be C where it is now A. But I still like E.

“Pancakes and eggs...”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#84 Dec 2, 2012
Hell Sucks wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm skipping the native on an Island and moving right along to then and now.
It depends what era you speak of. It was a bit different at the beginning of mankind as opposed to this day.
The answer back then with Adam and Eve would be C where it is now A. But I still like E.
You are a good person...
Why

Durham, NC

#85 Feb 8, 2013
Some of the comments are so ludarcris while others are very valid, but at times it seems that people only see black and white in this world, when there are so many different races(colors) in the world. Does it matter if Adam/Eve where black, white or even Chinese. I'm not here to $hit on anyone's beliefs or religion that's why the world is the way it is. I can only imagine what it would be like if the whole world monotonous. Just my opinion but would love to hear other's thoughts on their view if the whole were all Muslims, Christians, Buddhism Agnostic/Atheist. Would we be better off or worse than we are now.

“Pancakes and eggs...”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#86 Feb 8, 2013
The whole world could never be 'one' of anything...cause people are like cells, and constantly breaking off and dividing...

If the whole world were 'muslim'...it would only last one generation...then younger people or older people would question authority, break off, and form other religons or identities...

By nature most are rebellious...whether in little ways or large ways..

Most question authority, and don't like strutting around like mindless programmed robots...
jeremy

UK

#87 Apr 5, 2013
Heinrich wrote:
And if Adam and Eve had Cain and Abel .. where the did the next generation come from? Which one of his sisters did Cain knock up to make the third generation? Which one of his daughters did Adam bang to make the next generation?
Big logical hole there, Xtians.
i love this question, been asked it so many times its ridiculous
so lets flip it back and look at the evolution alternative.
lets say by some miracle an ape gives birth to a human
(and i realize i am completely over simplifying evolution but the point stands however long it takes to get there!)
who does the human mate with, it couldn't mate with an ape as the geno information would be lost unless it was all dominant alleles (which surprise surprise it isnt) so it would need to find a human mate. lets call this human Adam for the time being. so lets say that somewhere else another ape gives birth to a female human,(shall we call her eve) as implausible and ridiculously improbable it is that someone with the same mutations is born at the same time i shall humor the fact that it is possible. lets say Adam meets eve, they get on have a few drinks have a laugh decide to get married and have kids. and what do you know Roberts you fathers brother (bobs your uncle) you are in the exact same dilemma!

as a creationist i would make the argument that sin has only slightly entered the world at this point and as a result hasn't corrupted the world as much (see how the laws of entropy fit in to this) and as a result at this point they could still mate within families without mutation side effects. and over time sin corrupted the world more and more to the point that we no longer could
Mal Of Philly

Aurora, CO

#88 Apr 13, 2013
Peace, love , companionship. How did this fleshly mind and body of ours turn everything to hate, I'm right, your wrong and I 'll die for my fleshly beliefs

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#89 Apr 13, 2013
Genesis 2:25 says, in English, speaks of the man and his "wife."

In the original Hebrew, the word "ishshah" is used to denote the female.

That same word has been tranliterated as "woman", "adulteress", "female", "girl", "harlot", "wifemistress", "widow", and "wife".

http://biblesuite.com/hebrew/802.htm

The Hebrew word for "man" is "adam", which is why people speak of "Adam."

But in truth the two people depicted in Genesis 2 had no formal names. They were simply the man and the woman, or the man and his woman (meaning his property.)

Adam and Eve were never married. If anything, she was given to Adam as property and as a "helper" according to Genesis 2.

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#90 Apr 13, 2013
Has anyone else ever noticed that Genesis 5 contradicts Genesis 4?

According to Genesis 4, "Cain made love to his wife, and she became pregnant and gave birth to Enoch. Cain was then building a city, and he named it after his son Enoch. To Enoch was born Irad, and Irad was the father of Mehujael, and Mehujael was the father of Methushael, and Methushael was the father of Lamech."

But according to Genesis 5, Adam's first (and only) son was Seth.

Seth's son was Enosh, Enosh's great-grandson was Jared (Irad), Jared was the father of Enoch, Enoch was the father of Methuselah. 22 After he became the father of Methuselah, and Methuselah was the father of Lamech.

Clearly there are two very different lineages here, but the names are very similar and in same cases exactly alike.

Were Genesis 4 and 5 written by two different authors?

I think so.
lilles

Los Angeles, CA

#91 Jun 13, 2013
Divine Alien wrote:
<quoted text>
God purposedly created Eve from Adam for Adam to have sex and multiply. Otherwise, God will be creating humans from dust all the time until today. God had given them permission to f*ck and have children, Cain and Abel. Perhaps their marriage cert had rot, eaten by paper bugs or kept in the cave and lost in the Noah Flood.
Exactly!!! God created them to multiply.. not to get married. Read the words and think outside the box. Not too hard to have an open mind and not brain washed. It's ok to be your own self :)
Andrew of Florida

Lakeland, FL

#92 Jul 14, 2013
This one always amuses me. The word "wife" in the Judeo-Christian bible was an English word translated from Latin, which was translated from Greek, which may have been translated from Hebrew, which may have been translated from who-knows-what. Plus no one knows who wrote it.

Let's assume, however, that they were married (in Las Vegas?) or wherever. Since the story states that Eve was made from Adam's rib, then their DNA was identical.

What makes the story even more ridiculous, we would all be the product of incest, i.e., Adam and Eve's kids did the horizontal mambo. Since the chain could not be broken,(no other humans around), we must all be perverted b------s!

But what does logic and reason have to do with it?:-)
Andrew of Florida

Lakeland, FL

#93 Jul 14, 2013
Oh, I forgot to mention, incest and common DNA was again confirmed and continued when Noah (aka: Utnapishtim)and his family repopulated the planet after the "flood". There must have been a lot of mutations after that for us to have such divergent DNA today. I can just hear them now, "Gosh, sis, you are great in bed, even better than Mom." Thank you, brother, that's what Dad said too.

Also, someone previously mentioned Seth. Isn't that the same guy that Horus (Jesus) fought in Egyptian religion? Just curious.
Jesus Is

Rowville, Australia

#94 Jul 15, 2013
Heinrich wrote:
And if Adam and Eve had Cain and Abel .. where the did the next generation come from? Which one of his sisters did Cain knock up to make the third generation? Which one of his daughters did Adam bang to make the next generation?
Big logical hole there, Xtians.
WHERE DID THE NEXT GENERATION OF APEMEN COME FROM?
God didn't ban sex with close relatives until Moses.
Andrew of Florida

Lakeland, FL

#95 Jul 17, 2013
Jesus Is wrote:
<quoted text>
WHERE DID THE NEXT GENERATION OF APEMEN COME FROM?
God didn't ban sex with close relatives until Moses.
Those of us who seek only truth understand that "apemen" evolved from "lower" primates (as did modern apes and monkeys) in Africa anywhere from 2 to 4 million years ago, depending on how hominid traits are defined. Long, long before the A&E myth was created.

How can you ban sex with close relatives and have offspring, when everyone is a close relative?

Moses? There is an interesting study out there,(aka: Mermose) was an Egyptian warlord, who led a band of gullible, marauding slaves to capture the city of Canaan for the narcissistic Amenhotep II to build his pyramid and proclaim himself the one true God. Is=resting place; Ra=God; El=Elohim (Israel?). Too bad Amenhotep & Mermose died before it happened. Don't know if it is completely accurate, but it sounds far more realistic.
Andrew of Florida

Lakeland, FL

#96 Jul 17, 2013
Oh, one more thing. I did some research at http://www.ancient-hebrew.org/ for those who believe A&E or their kids were married.

The web site reports that there is no such word as "wife" in biblical Hebrew. The word in the Hebrew text means: "his woman".

If you run across the word "wife" in the "Old Testament" of your version of the Abrahamic bible, you are being deceived. It's that simple.

Via con carne.
Jesus Is

Rowville, Australia

#97 Jul 18, 2013
Andrew of Florida wrote:
<quoted text>
How can you ban sex with close relatives and have offspring, when everyone is a close relative?
BY THAT TIME THE WORD WAS SUFFICIENTLY POPULATED!
Not everyone had the same mother and father!
Jesus Is

Rowville, Australia

#98 Jul 18, 2013
Andrew of Florida wrote:
This one always amuses me. The word "wife" in the Judeo-Christian bible was an English word translated from Latin, which was translated from Greek, which may have been translated from Hebrew, which may have been translated from who-knows-what.
Early English Bibles were generally based on Greek texts or Latin translations. Modern English translations of the Bible are based on a wider variety of manuscripts in the original languages (Greek and Hebrew).
Jesus Is

Rowville, Australia

#99 Jul 18, 2013
Jesus Is

Rowville, Australia

#100 Jul 18, 2013
HEBREW BIBLE GENESIS 4:1

' And the man knew Eve his wife; and she conceived and bore Cain, and said:'I have gotten a man with the help of the LORD.'
Andrew of Florida

Lakeland, FL

#101 Jul 18, 2013
Jesus Is wrote:
HEBREW BIBLE GENESIS 4:1
' And the man knew Eve his wife; and she conceived and bore Cain, and said:'I have gotten a man with the help of the LORD.'
You obviously did not read the Hebrew translation I referred to. THERE IS NO BIBLICAL HEBREW WORD FOR "WIFE".

I'm not going to say you are being lied to, but you are quoting a mistranslation. Someone wanted it to say "wife", so they put their own opinion in. You are rejecting reality to maintain a fantasy!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What religion was Enoch, Noah, and Abraham? (Oct '12) 24 min ROG 1,013
The False Teachings of the Hebrew Israelites, s... (Jan '14) 1 hr Big Al 1,035
Another one joins our team ! 10 hr oxbow 17
Early Christianity 13 hr oxbow 2,073
Is there any evidence Apostles Peter and Paul b... 16 hr oxbow 308
What did Jesus do in his 40 days after the resu... 22 hr oxbow 119
The Old testament does not belong in the bible. 23 hr oxbow 15
More from around the web