Nettie's Pit Stop

“God Loves Ilks!”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#29904 Feb 10, 2013
-The Star Reborn- wrote:
<quoted text>
Smartazz, I'll just put "em" outside and they'll FREEZE.
Funny how you southerners don't brag so much when you're in the sweltering 100+ temperatures, and it's only in the 70-80s up here.
You won't see any older folk sitting outside or even on their covered porch during the day in the summertime.
That is for mornings and late afternoon and especially nighttime.
:)

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#29905 Feb 10, 2013
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
Next to wheels, a helmet is the most important part of a bicycle.
I'm right now in the process of rebuilding a Rhode Gear kiddie trailer as a luggage trailer. I'll get you a total weight when it's done. My sister and I might have made it to Seattle with a trailer but we loaded everything onto a tandem and as you can see from the short wheelbase probably seventy or eighty percent of the weight is on the rear wheel which started coming apart after about 150 miles so we turned back. This thing is totally rebuilt as a modern bike. Note the wheelbase is so short the drive train is connected to the front crankset.
I don't know about mirrors. If they don't stick out you can't see much and I was always a bit concerned that they might make the difference between getting clipped and not getting clipped. It's a non-issue with a trailer so I'll need to consider it. My sister is threatening to visit in March but I might ask her to push that to April or even May when the weather is better so we can try out the whole rig on some mountain road trips.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =6wni83T8-q8XX
Yes, for two people I can see the need for a trailer. There isn't much room on the bike itself for the extra gear. Maybe some front panniers would help though. I don't know if that would help you or not.

Hmm... I would suspect the tire was just old. With a slight chance that it was under inflated. I mean, new tires are pretty indestructible. I've even ridden on flat tires when it was too damn cold out to take it off and patch it. And all that grinding between the rim and the pavement, yet all they needed was a little cleaning off. There was hardly any noticeable wear. But older tires do get brittle and fall apart.

And yes, the rear view mirror I have doesn't stick out very far, and even a shirt cuff does limit the view, but I can just move my arm a bit to fix that. I just think it's suicidal to NOT have one. There's almost always a wind roar in my ears that makes it impossible to hear cars coming, and I need to know when cars are coming when swerving to avoid obstacles on the shoulder of the road. And on back roads I frequently go out into the middle of the road to enjoy the scenery without having to worry about wandering off the road or into guard rail posts, etc. So need to keep alert for cars to get out of their way.

“Howdy How”

Since: Jan 09

Hayward, CA

#29906 Feb 10, 2013
Afternoon folks how is everyone doing this fine day. It's sunny but cold!

“God Loves Ilks!”

Location hidden

#29908 Feb 10, 2013
I am Servant wrote:
Afternoon folks how is everyone doing this fine day. It's sunny but cold!
Beautiful afternoon here.
Hope you are doing well, IAS.

Tonight, though, rain moving in and staying for around three days.:(

I cooked out three different meats today; gonna freeze some so I have to just fix some side dishes to go with them.

“The Topix Legend of "GS8"!”

Since: Sep 10

Danville, VA

#29912 Feb 10, 2013
Huntington Guy wrote:
<quoted text>lol, I told you that you were a troll!
LMAO!!!!
Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!
I regret to inform you this is yet another prevarication to get negative attention. If you would so kindly click on the avatar you will discover the account is very much active. This has become very habitual with majestic kitten and appears will become rather routine here on topix considering Kittens end goal is, well, to be, and I mean in this in the most kind heartfelt way, an outcast.

“Life Force One”

Since: Jul 07

The Spiritual Universe/God

#29914 Feb 10, 2013
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
By the way, that tandem weighs thirty-four pounds as pictured, including water bottles, cages and Saint Christopher head badge. I've got a drum brake rear wheel which I would definitely bolt on for cross-country and that would add a couple pounds. I'm trying to dream up some kind of magnetic brakes for the trailer but that's probably an execise in futility.
Do you think the trailer has enough weight to make it worthwhile putting breaks on it, or would they just lock up and do nothing? Or worse, "chatter"? I suppose there's only one way to find out though.

“Life Force One”

#29915 Feb 10, 2013
Nettiebelle wrote:
<quoted text>You won't see any older folk sitting outside or even on their covered porch during the day in the summertime.
That is for mornings and late afternoon and especially nighttime.
And it makes one wonder how they survived such heat in the pre-air conditioner, refrigerator, and house insulation days. Maybe hang out in the basements?

Danville, VA

#29916 Feb 10, 2013
Seentheotherside wrote:
<quoted text>
And it makes one wonder how they survived such heat in the pre-air conditioner, refrigerator, and house insulation days. Maybe hang out in the basements?
Dear I can see you have not every heard of water cooling the air but of course that is to be expected of a poster like you.
He is Coming Soon

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#29917 Feb 10, 2013
As the song goes' "What can wash away my sins? Nothing but the blood of Jesus." Faith in His shed blood is the ONLY path to Heaven. www.scribd.com/doc/31322017 ...

“Life Force One”

#29919 Feb 10, 2013
i am me wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought about the rear view mirror comment, too, but this is a guy who's in a bicycle club that likes to go 45 - 50 mph. My, I'll just go as fast as my legs can carry me, WITH a rear view mirror. Like you said, debris and all.
Yeah, I'm looking on the map and trying to go to flat areas. I'm pretty screwed around Illinois and the Iowa border. The Mississippi take the land way down low...and then there's the coming up part. But still, I have some meanderings up further north and there are not as many "forest parks" there.
This is rather fun for me. I'm doing a Plan A and Plan B attack. I'll start biking in the direction I will be going when the weather warms up the slightest. I have mapped much of Indiana into a less that 20 mile day (I'll be just starting out) to a 25 and over miles a day. I am going to get more maps tomorrow and am going to write the DOTs of the states about getting county maps when I know the route I want. I hope they will send them for free.
It is fun....and my exercise routines have raised the bar on me. I need to push myself with a mid-May launch date.
Hopefully, by April, I"ll be taking the bugger with me loaded to build up my leg strength. Then there's the camping trips, to small towns and my daughter's house. Building the fire, the whole routine.
I really am having fun planning this...and I really am getting pscyhed about it...nervous, but then I think that's smart.
Oh so THAT explains the no mirror comment, he's in a RACING club. Those people are insane. They ride in groups around here and are always hogging the road and swerving out into traffic, then give the drivers the finger and swear at them if they almost get hit. They don't even stop at lights when making right turns, coming unexpectedly out into traffic 2 or 3 thick causing people to swerve into oncoming traffic. And they think it's funny. They should be shot. Every year several of them get hit and die. Small wonder.

I would recommend going to other bike shops and asking if they know of any TOURING or more casual bike clubs. I don't think it's a good idea to join a racing club when just starting out. Or anytime. Least you seriously hurt yourself trying to keep up, pick up their bad habits, become obsessive over expensive components, bikes, performance, and other crap that takes the fun of just riding around on a bike.

If your state has tourist stops along interstate highways, you might be able to get maps there. Also check the Internet.

Well, gotta go, my dog want's to go for our nightly walk.

Danville, VA

#29920 Feb 10, 2013
Minister of Trust wrote:
<quoted text>INDEED, you are right.
Well, I am be old and even old fashion however it is obvious when a poster is being deceitful and I mean that in the most heartfelt kind way. This particular poster that is deceiving others has only one end goal and well we all can see what that is and I would recommend staying clear of majestic kitten because of the habitual history of collecting personal information on poster and threatening them with it. Majestic Kitten use to own a forum and was dishonest about it until it was pointed out in majestic kittens own posters words on Welch, WV form thread "Dear Topix: Please Listen" page 5 post number 96.

On and one other thing; Majestic Kitten does have a lovely tribute thread right here on the Christian forum showing how deceitful Kitten is and is just a very informative thread of deceit but of course you would expect that from Kitten and I am certain you are well aware of it. It is GS, Defend or something to that effect and please read it and you will see how the web of Kitten destruction is built and it is hilarious when Kitten is proven wrong because as to be expected the posts cease and desist for Kitten because the deception is proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. Kittens self induced misfortunes are so very entertaining and a true pleasure to read.

Danville, VA

#29922 Feb 10, 2013
Minister of Trust wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you. I will look out for that one. She seems rather mentally unwrapped.
Any time Dear. I am here to share, counsel and be helpful and please let us all know your findings on this information.

“Life Force One”

#29924 Feb 10, 2013
He is Coming Soon wrote:
As the song goes' "What can wash away my sins? Nothing but the blood of Jesus." Faith in His shed blood is the ONLY path to Heaven. www.scribd.com/doc/31322017 ...
What a gross mythology you have there, taking showers of blood to wash up, yuck!

Why not try this instead:

http://www.dreaminplastic.com/wash-away-your-...

Danville, VA

#29925 Feb 10, 2013
Seentheotherside wrote:
<quoted text>
What a gross mythology you have there, taking showers of blood to wash up, yuck!
Why not try this instead:
http://www.dreaminplastic.com/wash-away-your-...
Dear, I mean this in the most heartfelt kindest way, your posts are like that of a sociopath.

“God Loves Ilks!”

Location hidden

#29926 Feb 10, 2013
Seentheotherside wrote:
<quoted text>
I really believe they just became acclimated to it.
I have heard too many stories of my grandmother cooking huge meals for the farm hands/family and also having a fireplace to heat her andiron to iron starched clothes, etc.
Always needing more firewood for either that wood stove or the fireplace and more buckets of water from the well.
Now, in the summertime, some would sleep out on the front porch. Most hung around out there at night anyway; all either sang or played some type of musical instrument, and of course, there was the ghost story telling, etc.

“God Loves Ilks!”

Location hidden

#29927 Feb 10, 2013
Seentheotherside wrote:
<quoted text>
btw, most houses in the south don't have basements or cellars.
I think they had some type of root cellar, but on the side of the barn or house.

“God Loves Ilks!”

Location hidden

#29928 Feb 10, 2013
GodSmacked wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear I can see you have not every heard of water cooling the air but of course that is to be expected of a poster like you.
Sometimes a bucket of water was thrown onto the few folks like you back then, but it was for the best of intentions.

Danville, VA

#29930 Feb 10, 2013
Nettiebelle wrote:
<quoted text>Sometimes a bucket of water was thrown onto the few folks like you back then, but it was for the best of intentions.
Considering your background I am certain you are not aware of how this cooling process actually worked however we do still have one in existence in Asheboro NC in a lovely home built by the Vanderbilt's and Gloria is still living. If I recall she actually discussed this in one of her books however considering your place in society I doubt very seriously you'd know anything about that.

“God Loves Ilks!”

Location hidden

#29931 Feb 10, 2013
GodSmacked wrote:
<quoted text>
Considering your background I am certain you are not aware of how this cooling process actually worked however we do still have one in existence in Asheboro NC in a lovely home built by the Vanderbilt's and Gloria is still living. If I recall she actually discussed this in one of her books however considering your place in society I doubt very seriously you'd know anything about that.
GS, I am fine with where my 'place' in society is.
If high living has resulted in the way you are now, who needs it?
Some of the richest people in the world are the most lonely and have no reason for living.
Some of the poorest people in the world get more out of life than you can possible dream of and have every reason to get up the next day eagerly to get on with their full life.
Finding happiness in things/possessions brings something along with it that somehow shapes one into being what you sound like...hollow, shallow, unloved, unloving.

The most precious things in life have no price tag; in fact, you just cannot buy them.

GS, you come across as one with no substance, nothing to offer, and yes, you envy those who do have value that comes from just living life, something you forgot how to do.

Now, run along and spam somewhere else with 'doc'.
You two are dead while still alive, and that is so sad.

“God Loves Ilks!”

Location hidden

#29933 Feb 10, 2013
GodSmacked has paired up with the 'doc' to spam all the threads on the Christian Forum.
I really wonder why the Mods allow this to happen.

Perhaps IF a Mod read my post here he/she will remove all posts of 'doc' and GS.
Other posters here deserve better than this!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cookie's Place (Oct '13) 24 min Taranis 21,188
You are God, What is the first thing you Fix? 31 min Taranis 38
The Law of Moses Has Not Been Abolished 38 min Taranis 18
Christian Jokes 57 min Taranis 26
Science And Discoveries To The Rescue 1 hr rogthehome 92
Wives Cannot Speak in the Assemblies, Unmarried... 1 hr Taranis 20
The Deception of the Teaching of the Trinity 2 hr Taranis 111
More from around the web