Nettie's Pit Stop

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#29883 Feb 9, 2013
Seentheotherside wrote:
<quoted text>
Whew! I was worried you'd take what I was trying to say the wrong way and get defensive. Guess that's why I like you, you're level headed and actually listen to what people are saying.
I just read about so many people getting into really bad situations out hiking, backpacking, or biking because they are inexperienced and ill prepared. So was just trying to help you avoid being one of those people.
They had those bike trailers even back when I did my long distance trips, but anywhere in New England there are hills and/or mountains. So the goal was to take just what you need, and NO more. You can feel the difference going up the hills or mountains with every pound you add. That's why I never got one, too much extra weight. But in flat terrain, I suppose they could be used without much added peddling work.
And be sure to get a rear view mirror for your bike, and a helmet for you.
OMG, Get a room you two!

http://youtu.be/XWHOF_0-6Hg

“Life Force One”

Since: Jul 07

The Spiritual Universe/God

#29884 Feb 9, 2013
Huntington Guy wrote:
<quoted text>lol, I told you that you were a troll!
LMAO!!!!
Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!
You have "milk" on your chin, better lick it off.

Location hidden

#29885 Feb 9, 2013
Seentheotherside wrote:
<quoted text>
He seems to be unable to hold his own against anybody on his stalking and attacking list. That's why he's such a laughing stock here. Even more so because his narcissism prevents him from seeing just how ridiculous he makes himself look to others.
But nobody here laughs at you though, rite?

lol

Location hidden

#29886 Feb 9, 2013
Seentheotherside wrote:
<quoted text>
You have "milk" on your chin, better lick it off.
Is that what I have? <<<Milk>>> ?

lol
i am me

La Salle, IL

#29887 Feb 10, 2013
Seentheotherside wrote:
<quoted text>
Whew! I was worried you'd take what I was trying to say the wrong way and get defensive. Guess that's why I like you, you're level headed and actually listen to what people are saying.
I just read about so many people getting into really bad situations out hiking, backpacking, or biking because they are inexperienced and ill prepared. So was just trying to help you avoid being one of those people.
They had those bike trailers even back when I did my long distance trips, but anywhere in New England there are hills and/or mountains. So the goal was to take just what you need, and NO more. You can feel the difference going up the hills or mountains with every pound you add. That's why I never got one, too much extra weight. But in flat terrain, I suppose they could be used without much added peddling work.
Oh, I'm really a nice person. Unless you're a troll. And I DO appreciate your advice. Yeah, the helmet I have but may try to upgrade and the rear view mirror, while the bike shop guy said I wouldn't need it, I will get. And a flag on the trailer.

Going down to the MIssissippi from no matter where you cross is a steep downgrade and then an upgrade on the other side. If I don't feel safe, I will walk the bike down. I don't want to lose control, you know? I am in realizing that I will get in much better shape during the trip. I figure for the first two weeks I'll feel so sore, but the body builds, which is what I need,and I'll get better.

Yeah, I need a lot of practice. I'll hopefully find a bike I want and need in the next two weeks and will practice the tire changes and all for a while until the weather cooperates and I can ride.

Thanks again, Seen. I appreciate the input. Today, I'm figure out the path I'll take in Indiana. And work on getting county maps.
i am me

La Salle, IL

#29888 Feb 10, 2013
Seentheotherside wrote:
<quoted text>
He seems to be unable to hold his own against anybody on his stalking and attacking list. That's why he's such a laughing stock here. Even more so because his narcissism prevents him from seeing just how ridiculous he makes himself look to others.
I know. I tried to tell him. And the other trolls are just as bad. It's time to ignore these dweebs. Topix may favor them, but that's topix problem.
i am me

La Salle, IL

#29889 Feb 10, 2013
Good Morning NEttie and the Pit Stop Crew. Another great day here weather wise. Gonna go walking this afternoon.

Hope you all have a great day!!!

“ ILKS r kewl ”

Since: Apr 09

Conch republic

#29890 Feb 10, 2013
Huntington Guy wrote:
<quoted text>But nobody here laughs at you though, rite?
lol
Nope.. but YOU? hysterically.. you're a joke.

“ ILKS r kewl ”

Since: Apr 09

Conch republic

#29891 Feb 10, 2013
mornin.. gonna be 80 today.. out to enjoy the day.. keep em cold for when I get back............

Jazybird58

“Reality bites”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#29892 Feb 10, 2013
Troth for Leogere wrote:
mornin.. gonna be 80 today.. out to enjoy the day.. keep em cold for when I get back..........
Use sun block.

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#29894 Feb 10, 2013
Troth for Leogere wrote:
mornin.. gonna be 80 today.. out to enjoy the day.. keep em cold for when I get back..........
I didn't need to know that, Troth. It's -2 here. Just keep quiet about it, already! Geesh!
i am me

La Salle, IL

#29895 Feb 10, 2013
Troth for Leogere wrote:
<quoted text>Nope.. but YOU? hysterically.. you're a joke.
He is, isn't he, he and all his trolling friends. Pathetic reminders of those who don't have lives obsess so over others who do.

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#29896 Feb 10, 2013
Seentheotherside wrote:
<quoted text>
Next to wheels, a helmet is the most important part of a bicycle.

I'm right now in the process of rebuilding a Rhode Gear kiddie trailer as a luggage trailer. I'll get you a total weight when it's done. My sister and I might have made it to Seattle with a trailer but we loaded everything onto a tandem and as you can see from the short wheelbase probably seventy or eighty percent of the weight is on the rear wheel which started coming apart after about 150 miles so we turned back. This thing is totally rebuilt as a modern bike. Note the wheelbase is so short the drive train is connected to the front crankset.

I don't know about mirrors. If they don't stick out you can't see much and I was always a bit concerned that they might make the difference between getting clipped and not getting clipped. It's a non-issue with a trailer so I'll need to consider it. My sister is threatening to visit in March but I might ask her to push that to April or even May when the weather is better so we can try out the whole rig on some mountain road trips.

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#29897 Feb 10, 2013
By the way, that tandem weighs thirty-four pounds as pictured, including water bottles, cages and Saint Christopher head badge. I've got a drum brake rear wheel which I would definitely bolt on for cross-country and that would add a couple pounds. I'm trying to dream up some kind of magnetic brakes for the trailer but that's probably an execise in futility.

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#29898 Feb 10, 2013
tickedoffchic wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't need to know that, Troth. It's -2 here. Just keep quiet about it, already! Geesh!
I think we all need a vacation in warmer weather......what do ya say?

Jazybird58

“Reality bites”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#29899 Feb 10, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
I think we all need a vacation in warmer weather......what do ya say?
Troth has a house in the Keys???????? Party time

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#29900 Feb 10, 2013
Jazybird58 wrote:
<quoted text>Troth has a house in the Keys???????? Party time
I'm ready.......let's go:-)

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#29901 Feb 10, 2013
i am me wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, I'm really a nice person. Unless you're a troll. And I DO appreciate your advice. Yeah, the helmet I have but may try to upgrade and the rear view mirror, while the bike shop guy said I wouldn't need it, I will get. And a flag on the trailer.
Going down to the MIssissippi from no matter where you cross is a steep downgrade and then an upgrade on the other side. If I don't feel safe, I will walk the bike down. I don't want to lose control, you know? I am in realizing that I will get in much better shape during the trip. I figure for the first two weeks I'll feel so sore, but the body builds, which is what I need,and I'll get better.
Yeah, I need a lot of practice. I'll hopefully find a bike I want and need in the next two weeks and will practice the tire changes and all for a while until the weather cooperates and I can ride.
Thanks again, Seen. I appreciate the input. Today, I'm figure out the path I'll take in Indiana. And work on getting county maps.
i am me wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't get a good feeling about doing business with someone who feels rear view mirrors aren't needed. You HAVE to keep looking into it to keep a look out for upcoming cars. As there's always debris, glass, etc, on the shoulder of the road that needs to be avoided, and you cannot just swerve around them without looking for cars, that would be a deadly mistake. And you risk losing control of the bike if you are constantly looking backwards. So I wonder if the person who said they aren't needed has ever ridden a bike before. Or if he has, he's not very bright.

I don't know if the trailer will affect how the bike handles going downhill, as like I said, I've never had one. But my concern was the extra weight going UP the hills. And while one can always walk up the hills if it gets too tiring, that will chew up a lot of time if done a lot. But you'll just have to see how it all works out. Maybe it'll work fine where you are going. Around here, they don't.

Sounds like you're already getting enjoyment out of it just in the planning.

Location hidden

#29902 Feb 10, 2013
Oops, sorry about not deleting the extra post of your's out.

Location hidden

#29903 Feb 10, 2013
Troth for Leogere wrote:
Smartazz, I'll just put "em" outside and they'll FREEZE.

Funny how you southerners don't brag so much when you're in the sweltering 100+ temperatures, and it's only in the 70-80s up here.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why lie about the truth? Christian mistranslat... 53 min janeebee 1,303
False beliefs: 2 hr PrinceofDarkness 129
Why did Christ come to Earth? 2 hr PrinceofDarkness 673
Intelligent People Question Everything 2 hr PrinceofDarkness 854
Bible Interpretation 4 hr PrinceofDarkness 1,564
Just A Talk With You Christians. 4 hr PrinceofDarkness 461
Poll The Greatest Threat to America's Security (Sep '15) 4 hr PrinceofDarkness 4,811
Cookie's Place (Oct '13) 6 hr Mark mark 20,819
More from around the web