1 - 20 of 3,264 Comments Last updated Jan 29, 2012
First Prev
of 164
Next Last

“Jesus is Lord”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#1 Jan 15, 2011
If the Biblical account of Hell is real and you go there, how would you feel? Would you be angry at all the Christians who didn't try hard enough to help you accept Christ? Or would you be angry at yourself? Angry at God?

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#2 Jan 15, 2011
Bella1958 wrote:
If the Biblical account of Hell is real and you go there, how would you feel? Would you be angry at all the Christians who didn't try hard enough to help you accept Christ? Or would you be angry at yourself? Angry at God?
There are at least three Biblical accounts of hell. To which do you refer?

“Have I offended you? ”

My heart bleeds..NOT

#3 Jan 15, 2011
Bella1958 wrote:
Why do you feel the need to attribute anger to those who do not believe the same way as you?

To answer your question, none of the above.

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#4 Jan 15, 2011
DemonSeed wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you feel the need to attribute anger to those who do not believe the same way as you?
Okay. If there is indeed a Hell, how would you feel if you were there?

Location hidden

#5 Jan 15, 2011
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
There are at least three Biblical accounts of hell. To which do you refer?
There are over 162 references to Hell in the Bible.

And I don't think she's asking about scripture. She just wants to know how you would feel if you went to Hell.

“Jesus is Lord”

Location hidden

#6 Jan 15, 2011
Luke 16:23 And in hell he lifted up his eyes, being in torments.
Luke 16:24 ...for I am tormented in this flame.

I'm referring to a literal hell. Not the grave or a garbage dump.
Punisher

Massapequa, NY

#7 Jan 15, 2011
Bella1958 wrote:
Well here we get into a whole mess of "ideas" all rolled up into one mess.

How will we experience hell?

Will we have emotions in the after-life? Can I be angry when I'm dead? What will angry mean when I'm dead?

Will we be conscious of our past human life?(considering that Many Believers say that heaven isn't anywhere close to what we know now as living humans.)

How will this torment actually manifest?

Will we be physical beings in hell, while those in heaven are not even close to being physical...?

That's the tip of the iceberg...

And of course we're now back to his notion that YOU, anyone can save anyone else. If you could, it would negate your belief in free-will. You could save people against their will, like your daughter, which would mean they didnt come to your god of their own volition. Meaning you somehow could control their destiny and also that of the Holy Spirit. Basically meaning you have the powers of your god.

And just for sh/ts and giggles - yeah should I than "see" there was a god behind it all, I'd be pissed that he/she/it didnt truly show them-self but relied on that screwy book of myths and a long-run of violence and intolerance perpetrated by those who believed and in no way showed a good and righteous path. That he allowed his Believers to lie and manipulate and murder millions in his name and expect it to be "Okay by me, I'll join up.!" That he sent his alleged son at a point in history of ridiculous superstition and expected that a few thousand years later after none of it was proved real that we should still think like those primitive, superstitious tribes that didnt and couldnt eat shrimp wrapped in bacon...!(for the record I don't trust anyone who doesnt eat pork...for non-allergy reasons, but that's just me.)

You simply cant try hard enough or less and save anyone. Its not your decision to make, nor were you granted the powers to...

If you could save people, I mean actually save them - why isnt there some mention of it in the bible...? And is there a goal number you must meet to in turn be saved yourself...?

“Jesus is Lord”

Location hidden

#8 Jan 15, 2011
DemonSeed wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello again, Demonseed. You wouldn't be angry? Sad then, that you missed Heaven?
I truely tried to put myself in that situation. How would I feel if I opened my eyes in Hell? What would I feel?
I believe I would be angry. Christians KNEW about this place and yet did THEY do all they could do to help me escape this terrible place?
I believe I would feel sadness and great regret too.
Thank you Demonseed for your input.
Punisher

Massapequa, NY

#9 Jan 15, 2011
H_A_T wrote:
<quoted text>
And I don't think she's asking about scripture. She just wants to know how you would feel if you went to Hell.
okay forgetting the bible...which hell? Tell us which one we're dealing with?

Since hell in the WEST is strictly an Xtian saturated idea, its hard to not think of it in biblical terms. Hard not to conjure thoughts of Dante, Milton, and Hollywood.

IMO, Hell is Wal-mart. Its a torment of unimaginable pain...as such I no longer venture in...

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#10 Jan 15, 2011
H_A_T wrote:
<quoted text>
Sheol, Gehenna, Hades, Lake of Fire, etc.

Location hidden

#11 Jan 15, 2011
Punisher wrote:
<quoted text>okay forgetting the bible...which hell? Tell us which one we're dealing with?
Since hell in the WEST is strictly an Xtian saturated idea, its hard to not think of it in biblical terms. Hard not to conjure thoughts of Dante, Milton, and Hollywood.
IMO, Hell is Wal-mart. Its a torment of unimaginable pain...as such I no longer venture in...
Lol, I know what you mean. I went to Wal-Mart on Black Friday. Never doing that again.

But we're speaking of Hell as spoke of in the Bible.

“Jesus is Lord”

Location hidden

#12 Jan 15, 2011
Punisher wrote:
<quoted text>
Well here we get into a whole mess of "ideas" all rolled up into one mess.
How will we experience hell?
Will we have emotions in the after-life? Can I be angry when I'm dead? What will angry mean when I'm dead?
Will we be conscious of our past human life?(considering that Many Believers say that heaven isn't anywhere close to what we know now as living humans.)
How will this torment actually manifest?
Will we be physical beings in hell, while those in heaven are not even close to being physical...?
That's the tip of the iceberg...
And of course we're now back to his notion that YOU, anyone can save anyone else. If you could, it would negate your belief in free-will. You could save people against their will, like your daughter, which would mean they didnt come to your god of their own volition. Meaning you somehow could control their destiny and also that of the Holy Spirit. Basically meaning you have the powers of your god.
And just for sh/ts and giggles - yeah should I than "see" there was a god behind it all, I'd be pissed that he/she/it didnt truly show them-self but relied on that screwy book of myths and a long-run of violence and intolerance perpetrated by those who believed and in no way showed a good and righteous path. That he allowed his Believers to lie and manipulate and murder millions in his name and expect it to be "Okay by me, I'll join up.!" That he sent his alleged son at a point in history of ridiculous superstition and expected that a few thousand years later after none of it was proved real that we should still think like those primitive, superstitious tribes that didnt and couldnt eat shrimp wrapped in bacon...!(for the record I don't trust anyone who doesnt eat pork...for non-allergy reasons, but that's just me.)
You simply cant try hard enough or less and save anyone. Its not your decision to make, nor were you granted the powers to...
If you could save people, I mean actually save them - why isnt there some mention of it in the bible...? And is there a goal number you must meet to in turn be saved yourself...?
Yes! A person is responsible for their own salvation. No one can make that decision for any one. However, the Bible does say that believers are to warn the unbeliever. The same principle applies to this thought: If I see you walking toward a rattle snake coiled up on the ground. If I don't warn you that the snake is there, am I to blame when you get bit? I believe I would have some blame. That is the reason I tell others about Jesus. 1.) Because I believe there is a literal Hell. 2.) I don't want anyone to go there. 3.) It is my Christian duty to warn of the danger of Hell.
Punisher

Massapequa, NY

#13 Jan 15, 2011
Bella1958 wrote:
If the Biblical account of Hell is real and you go there, how would you feel?

Would you be angry at all the Christians who didn't try hard enough to help you accept Christ?

Or would you be angry at yourself? Angry at God?
I've isolated this quote and will now go off topic.:)

"Would you be angry at all the Christians who didn't try hard enough to help you accept Christ?"

This is such a great statement, it conjures so many things...but I'll try to focus on one, two...

It is at the very heart of why so many atheists, skeptics, etc have been so outspoken in recent history regarding the trying harder of Xtians to help others accept Jesus.

Historically there seems to be no limits as to how that trying will manifest. How much harder is too hard...? Isnt it a bit "too hard" to enslave a natives peoples to abandon their own beliefs and cultures so to "Save them from themselves"...? Was that about the perfect level of trying..? Was there a harder level...? Wasnt the treatment of the American natives by the conquering Xtians a tad too hard, in retrospect...? Wasnt Genocide a tad over the top? Wasn't stealing their lands and claiming them Gods gift to Xtianity, a bit too hard...?

Currently we hear a lot from the diverse Xtians that this nation, the USA isn't devout enough, isn't praying enough, isn't trying hard enough to worship and serve the will of the Xtian god...and as such we have many, many xtians out there trying to turn this nation, in the courts, the halls of government, and even the streets and homes of citizens into Altars of worship. Where All things must be geared towards the Devotion of the Xtian God.

That if we did these things "harder" he would bless us again...we'd regain our place on the world stage and be the shining beacon on the hill again...that a Utopia would result if we just Worshiped Harder! All manner of current ills would be cured if we tried harder. Health care wouldnt matter, if we were just More devout!

So where and what is this par-level of being blessed and not blessed? How many prayers does it take to reach that level again...? How many kids have to pray in school to right the ship? How many abortions is too many? Is there an acceptable level? And if we do other things harder can they, will they keep us blessed...?

How much harder must we work at this worship...? 10%? 20? And how do we measure it? Is there a measuring device we can use...like how we measure a childs growth on a wall with a pencil or notches on the molding...? Can we pull a national dipstick out and check it?

IMO, you xtians have tried too hard already... as we can see the results, and like me and my friends jokingly say to each other - "You did your best, but your best just svcked..."

You're all familiar with the urban definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting differing results. You Xtians, the entire Xtian community needs to apply that common sense idea to HOW you Try so Hard to make people accept your Christ.
Punisher

Massapequa, NY

#14 Jan 15, 2011
Bella1958 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello again, Demonseed. You wouldn't be angry? Sad then, that you missed Heaven?
I truely tried to put myself in that situation. How would I feel if I opened my eyes in Hell? What would I feel?
I believe I would be angry.

Christians KNEW

about this place and yet did THEY do all they could do to help me escape this terrible place?

Thank you Demonseed for your input.
Faith/belief and KNOWING are different things. Xtians dont KNOW there IS a hell, they believe and have faith there is. If you could KNOW it, you could show me it. And than I might also KNOW it, and not merely have a belief that an ethereal place of torment is out there someplace...

And what you conjure in your head, re; this hell - is but literary license run amok for the last several centuries not the least of which is heavily dosed with non-biblical Literary writings, like Dante and Milton...
Punisher

Massapequa, NY

#15 Jan 15, 2011
H_A_T wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol, I know what you mean. I went to Wal-Mart on Black Friday. Never doing that again.
But we're speaking of Hell as spoke of in the Bible.
Which leads us back to which hell? Revelation hell? OT hell, which really isnt hell as we know it in the NT...?

Perhaps Dantes hell? Which we all know is exactly what most xtians conjure up when they speak of, think of hell. Circles of sin specific torment...
Punisher

Massapequa, NY

#16 Jan 15, 2011
Bella1958 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes! A person is responsible for their own salvation. No one can make that decision for any one.

However, the Bible does say that believers are to warn the unbeliever.

The same principle applies to this thought: If I see you walking toward a rattle snake coiled up on the ground. If I don't warn you that the snake is there, am I to blame when you get bit? I believe I would have some blame. That is the reason I tell others about Jesus. 1.) Because I believe there is a literal Hell. 2.) I don't want anyone to go there. 3.) It is my Christian duty to warn of the danger of Hell.
No, warning me of immediate danger (rattle snake) is not the same as warning me of an unproven place called hell run by some Demon who fell out of favor with your god. That because I dont adhere to some arcane beliefs and religious tenets will earn me eternal torment (which isnt true actually, that its eternal. if one reads the bible literally, as eventually your god ends that vacation spot too)

Not even a close analogy.

Okay warn me, than when I dont heed the warning back-off. Shake off the dust - and move on.(you seem to be ignoring me when I point that out to you) Dont be a pest. Dont than try, after I reject your warning, to influence conditions around me to get me to fall in line - as we see with Xtians who think this nation is an altar upon which we must worship.

Like I keep saying, you cant enforce a warning. Like, "Dont get off here, its a bad part of town, its has too many lights, the road is crappy, etc..."

I'm driving my own car, and you're not even In it. Why do you think you can tell me where and how to drive..? In fact I think I'm a better driver anyway...having a natural sense of direction...

Again I'll toss in a little "straw" - what if my getting bit by the snake was actually a good thing...? Forget the HOW? Just think on the manner in which the way life often works in convoluted anti-intuitive ways. That what appears to be a mistake - ends up to be a very good mistake...?(like how I met my wife...a series of mistakes with other women led me to her. I cringe to think of what would have happened had I taken other peoples advice and married sooner...paradise on earth would not be mine!)

Location hidden

#17 Jan 15, 2011
Punisher wrote:
<quoted text>Which leads us back to which hell? Revelation hell? OT hell, which really isnt hell as we know it in the NT...?
Perhaps Dantes hell? Which we all know is exactly what most xtians conjure up when they speak of, think of hell. Circles of sin specific torment...
Okay, let's start with Revelation Hell.

“Jesus is Lord”

Location hidden

#18 Jan 15, 2011
Punisher wrote:
<quoted text>
No, warning me of immediate danger (rattle snake) is not the same as warning me of an unproven place called hell run by some Demon who fell out of favor with your god. That because I dont adhere to some arcane beliefs and religious tenets will earn me eternal torment (which isnt true actually, that its eternal. if one reads the bible literally, as eventually your god ends that vacation spot too)
Not even a close analogy.
Okay warn me, than when I dont heed the warning back-off. Shake off the dust - and move on.(you seem to be ignoring me when I point that out to you) Dont be a pest. Dont than try, after I reject your warning, to influence conditions around me to get me to fall in line - as we see with Xtians who think this nation is an altar upon which we must worship.
Like I keep saying, you cant enforce a warning. Like, "Dont get off here, its a bad part of town, its has too many lights, the road is crappy, etc..."
I'm driving my own car, and you're not even In it. Why do you think you can tell me where and how to drive..? In fact I think I'm a better driver anyway...having a natural sense of direction...
Again I'll toss in a little "straw" - what if my getting bit by the snake was actually a good thing...? Forget the HOW? Just think on the manner in which the way life often works in convoluted anti-intuitive ways. That what appears to be a mistake - ends up to be a very good mistake...?(like how I met my wife...a series of mistakes with other women led me to her. I cringe to think of what would have happened had I taken other peoples advice and married sooner...paradise on earth would not be mine!)
1.) I don't think Hell is RUN by a demon. Hell was created for the devil and his angels. It is his place of punishment. He is not there as some sort of evil supervisor.
2.)Hell is thrown into the Lake of Fire. But, according to Revelation the punishment there will be eternal.
3.)Point taken. Nobody likes a pest.
4.)What you say is true. Some things that happen to us in this life they we deem "bad" actually turn out to be good for us in the long run. Sometimes things we perceive as "good" turn out not to be so.

Punisher

Massapequa, NY

#19 Jan 15, 2011
H_A_T wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, let's start with Revelation Hell.
Such a place would truly suck, but I dont think/believe its real...but refer back to my other post as to how I might react.(and lets focus on the word MIGHT, as I have no idea how I, anyone reacts if at all, in death)

I think that the literary license taken in Revelation is exactly that...not a description of anything real. And besides Revelation was directed at the events and conditions of the time it was written. It was talking of current events, of that time.

Thats how I read that book. And why I agree with those earliest of Xtians assigned to create the bible canon, it shouldnt have been included, as it was truly a book that could not be seen as divine or inspired or further the teachings of Jesus. But we do know it was included in a compromise...and since then has been abused and misread and interpreted...too much focus has been put on it to the expense of the others.

Its been used like a concealed weapon for too long. A Xtian is all smiles and happy good news preaching, than when the message is resisted out comes the club of Revelation to batter and beat the resistant into submission or fear.

“Have I offended you? ”

My heart bleeds..NOT

#20 Jan 15, 2011
Bella1958 wrote:
<quoted text>
What percentage of those born again and hoping for a place in your imaginary celestial retirement home are criminals - ie rapists, murderers, pedophiles, druggies and other assorted low-lives?
Bella1958 wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess it's a lot easier for you to do this since you believe both these places exist whereas I don't.
Bella1958 wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe I would be angry. Christians KNEW about this place and yet did THEY do all they could do to help me escape this terrible place?
It's impossible for a person to predict the thoughts of another based on their own world view, especially if those world views are diametrically opposed.
Bella1958 wrote:
<quoted text>
What would you use to feel with? Where exactly would these emotions take place?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 164
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Scripture cancels Rapture lottery 5 min dollarsbill 110
Is the Bible always literally true or correct? 7 min messianic114 2,855
Was Paul a False Apostle? (May '08) 34 min dollarsbill 2,061
Cookie's Place (Oct '13) 58 min 15th Dalai Lama 13,674
May Solomons knowledge be bequethed on all Beli... 1 hr dollarsbill 6
Pray for him, PLEASE 1 hr dollarsbill 5
To Tell The Turth! 2 hr Hell-Sucks 104
Michael Brown was a Christian??? 2 hr dollarsbill 259
Are World Events Pointing to End Times 2 hr dollarsbill 440
Take America Back 3 hr Passing thru 998