Arrogance: proof that Christianity is...
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
CWU

Tinley Park, IL

#22 Apr 24, 2013
Can you judge a whole group based on the actions of a few who identify with that group?

"Jeffrey Dahmer, an infamous serial killer and atheist sentenced to 900 years in prison, said “if a person doesn’t think that there is a God to be accountable to, then what’s the point of trying to modify your behavior to keep it within acceptable ranges?”. He brutally killed seventeen men and boys, dismembering them, storing their parts and indulging in cannibalism and necrophilia. In 1991, he was caught by the police after one of his would-be victims escaped. Despite pleading not guilty on the basis on insanity, the court found him sane and fully accountable. He later expressed remorse."

10 People Who Give Atheism a Bad Name
http://listverse.com/2010/06/05/10-people-who...

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#23 Apr 24, 2013
CWU wrote:
Can you judge a whole group based on the actions of a few who identify with that group?
"Jeffrey Dahmer, an infamous serial killer and atheist sentenced to 900 years in prison, said “if a person doesn’t think that there is a God to be accountable to, then what’s the point of trying to modify your behavior to keep it within acceptable ranges?”. He brutally killed seventeen men and boys, dismembering them, storing their parts and indulging in cannibalism and necrophilia. In 1991, he was caught by the police after one of his would-be victims escaped. Despite pleading not guilty on the basis on insanity, the court found him sane and fully accountable. He later expressed remorse."
10 People Who Give Atheism a Bad Name
http://listverse.com/2010/06/05/10-people-who...
Dahmer as raised by devout Christian parents. So was Timothy McVeigh, Adolph Hitler, Josef Stalin, and Benito Mussolini.

So were John Wayne Gacy, Henry Lee Lucas, Ted Kaczynski (the Unabomber), Ted Bundy, and Jim Jones.

And so were the perpetrators of the Columbine shooting, the Virginia Tech shooting, the Sandy Hook shooting, and the Colorado theater shooting>

Do you see a pattern emerging?

Now tell me, how many mass murderers, mad bombers, or serial killers were raised by atheist parents?

Give up? Zero.

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#24 Apr 24, 2013
Flygerian wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry religion is not a drug. I know your hate of those that believe in some Higher Power blinds you, but this is not the case.
You said drunks were happier than sober people. What happens when the drink wears off? They're back to their sad state right? How is this comparable with religion? Ready? GO!!!
When drunks sober up they immediately grab another drink. In fact, most drinks have high levels of alcohol in their blood at all times.

The same with Christians. When people leave Christianity (or any faith) and become agnostic, then atheistic, they find it hard at first to deal with reality. Some crawl back into their delusions.

Others, the stronger ones, learn to transcend their fear of death, acknowledge that there is no afterlife, and go on to become productive citizens (Warren Buffett, Bill Gates, Albert Einstein, Andrew Carnegie, Susan B. Anthony, Helen Keller, Isaac Asimov, to name but a few.)

I don't want to claim that atheists are superior in every way to theists. My point is that atheists lead rational lives, while religious people harbor delusions.

Here's more proof: almost all atheists reject ALL superstitious belief.

Meanwhile, almost all people who consult astrological charts, psychics, and fortune tellers are religious. Almost all people who believe that UFOs are space craft from alien planets, or that the Loch Ness Monster, Bigfoot, and crop circles are real, are religious believers.

Once you become a full-fledged atheist by engaging in rational thought and logical deduction, you learn to reject ALL outrageous claims that are not backed by solid evidence.

So no, atheists aren't better than you. We're just less gullible, smarter, and more rational.

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#25 Apr 24, 2013
CWU wrote:
Can you judge a whole group based on the actions of a few who identify with that group?
"Jeffrey Dahmer, an infamous serial killer and atheist sentenced to 900 years in prison, said “if a person doesn’t think that there is a God to be accountable to, then what’s the point of trying to modify your behavior to keep it within acceptable ranges?”. He brutally killed seventeen men and boys, dismembering them, storing their parts and indulging in cannibalism and necrophilia. In 1991, he was caught by the police after one of his would-be victims escaped. Despite pleading not guilty on the basis on insanity, the court found him sane and fully accountable. He later expressed remorse."
10 People Who Give Atheism a Bad Name
http://listverse.com/2010/06/05/10-people-who...
LMAO! Right off they bat they got Kinsey wrong.

"It was Paul Gebhard, in the 1970s, who removed all suspect data, and recalculated Kinsey's findings. He found only slight differences between the original and updated figures." -
Gathorne-Hardy, Jonathan (2005). Kinsey: A Biography, p 285. London: Pimlico

I didn't bother reading the rest. WHy should i? If they misrepresented Kinsey then there's no need to go further.

Do you have any unbiased sources? And again, can you provide info on people who were raised in an atheist household?

Hardcore religious upbringing does definite psychic damage, and in many cases conversion to atheism doesn't undo the damage that the religious indoctrination caused.
CWU

Tinley Park, IL

#26 Apr 24, 2013
HighlyEvolved wrote:
<quoted text>
Dahmer as raised by devout Christian parents. So was Timothy McVeigh, Adolph Hitler, Josef Stalin, and Benito Mussolini.
So were John Wayne Gacy, Henry Lee Lucas, Ted Kaczynski (the Unabomber), Ted Bundy, and Jim Jones.
And so were the perpetrators of the Columbine shooting, the Virginia Tech shooting, the Sandy Hook shooting, and the Colorado theater shooting>
Do you see a pattern emerging?
Now tell me, how many mass murderers, mad bombers, or serial killers were raised by atheist parents?
Give up? Zero.
So, Dahmer was exposed to Christianity and rejected it.

Unabomber Ted Kaczynski was a cradle atheist.

"Ted and David's parents, Wanda and Theodore R. Kaczynski, were atheists, working-class intellectuals who valued education and dearly wanted their sons to succeed on a higher plane." ('I Don't Want To Live Long: Ted Kaczynski,' by Stephen J. Dubner Monday, Oct. 18, 1999, Time.)

"'I believe in nothing,' Kaczynski wrote in the journals released last week by federal prosecutors.'I don't even believe in the cult of nature-worshipers or wilderness-worshipers.'" (quoted in 'Kaczynski Sentenced to Four Life Terms,' by William Booth, Washington Post, Tuesday, May 5, 1998.)

Timothy McVeigh was a self-confessed agnostic.

In a letter, McVeigh said he was an agnostic but that he would "improvise, adapt and overcome", if it turned out there was an afterlife.'If I'm going to hell,' he wrote,'I'm gonna have a lot of company.'”

I guess I don't need to continue because I've proven you don't have your facts right.
Flygerian

Yukon, OK

#27 Apr 24, 2013
The name calling usually comes sooner or later lol
HighlyEvolved wrote:
<quoted text>
What is indisputable is that atheists NEVER do good works because they believe God will reward them for doing them.
Doesnt matter lol. Atheists do it for a VARIETY of reasons. Some do it for the simple reason that its the right thing to do. OThers, to look good in front of others. And a variety of other reasons as well. Same with the religious folk.
HighlyEvolved wrote:
Here is another: every single Christian believes that God sees the good works they do. Therefore, no matter what good works Christians, they are conscious that God is watching and thus they are hopeful that they will receive a "reward" for their deeds.
For the record, giving money to charity or helping rebuild homes destroyed by storms without any compensation is absolutely NOT selfish when done by an atheist, because there is ZERO gain.
Wait, I thought that christians thought that good works do not save them but Jesus death on the cross saved them?

Which one of the Abrahamic religions think that "good works" save them?
HighlyEvolved wrote:
"Looking good in front of others" is a canard. Heck, putting on makeup or wearing nice clothing could be considered a selfish act by your standard.
If you take it to that level, yes it could be.
HighlyEvolved wrote:
The word "selfish" means "devoted to or caring only for oneself; concerned primarily with one's own interests, benefits, welfare, etc., regardless of others." or "characterized by or manifesting concern or care only for oneself: selfish motives."
They gain a benefit of helping someone else. It makes them feel better. Therefore by definition it is a selfish act. Not that this person. Their welfare is better off because they are helping others build up their welfare.

Btw this goes for EVERYONE.
CWU

Beijing, China

#28 Apr 24, 2013
Flygerian wrote:
The name calling usually comes sooner or later lol
<quoted text>
Doesnt matter lol. Atheists do it for a VARIETY of reasons. Some do it for the simple reason that its the right thing to do. OThers, to look good in front of others. And a variety of other reasons as well. Same with the religious folk.
<quoted text>
Wait, I thought that christians thought that good works do not save them but Jesus death on the cross saved them?
Which one of the Abrahamic religions think that "good works" save them?
<quoted text>
If you take it to that level, yes it could be.
<quoted text>
They gain a benefit of helping someone else. It makes them feel better. Therefore by definition it is a selfish act. Not that this person. Their welfare is better off because they are helping others build up their welfare.
Btw this goes for EVERYONE.
Do you obey all the commandments of the God of Abraham?

“Third Eye”

Since: Nov 10

You can't get there from here.

#29 Apr 24, 2013
HighlyEvolved wrote:
Atheists are often criticized for being arrogant in their stance that the God of the Bible is a mythological creature.
American Christians are no less arrogant in their defenses of their faith, which leads me to ask this question: what is the benefit of being an American Christian instead of an American atheist?
American Christians divorce at a higher rate than American atheists.
The percentage of American Christians who have committed crimes is higher than the percentage of American atheists criminals, when compared to the overall percentage of Christians and atheists who are Americans.
When American Christians do "good things" (such as volunteering or giving to charity) they are often doing so in conditioned response to an ethereal reward/punishment set of beliefs. When atheists do "good things" its because they simply want to do them.
There is no advantage to being a Christian versus being an atheist in America. Atheists are demonstrably more law-abiding, less likely to divorce, and acting more form the heart when doing "good things."
Are Christians happier because they believe in an afterlife? Yes, that is true. Many studies have shown that Christians are generally happier than atheists.
But then again, drunks are happier than sober people. What good is happiness if you need to get drunk (believe in a delusion) to achieve it?
Atheists are arrogant
Christians are passionate
Just sayin

Beijing, China

#30 Apr 24, 2013
NDanger wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists are arrogant
Christians are passionate
What does it matter you are going to hell anyway.

“You only think that you know”

Since: Feb 10

but you're not even close.

#31 Apr 24, 2013
I understand the Atheists point of view of religion and you're in your right to challenge one's beliefs.
You may or may not meant to but what you have established here is that there are those who you have flushed out into the open of not really practicing what they preach or believe.
Some of those who gets on here self proclaiming to be a Christian and yet all they do is talk about ole' gloom & doom of God's wrath and judgment is going to befall upon you and that you are going to go to Hell and burn eternally in the lake of fire
However,if these self proclaimed Christians really know the concept of Christianity in its entirety of what its suppose to be about then they would not focus so much on God's wrath & judgment and what will happen to you because what they harp on about with you about Hell and eternal damnation could very well happen to them if they don't get their own act straight and get their own house in order and keep it that way instead of concerning them selves of what will happen to you if you don't do the same,according to their beliefs.
What these self proclaimed Christians believe is "salvation security" whereas no matter what they do after they supposedly accept Christ into their lives they believe they will be forgiven even though they them selves still continue to live in their own sins and has not depart from them yet they feel,but not actually be,righteous in the sight of God when they take pleasure in chastising and judging those who don't go to suit them,don't believe as they supposedly do and who offends them for who they proclaim to be and what they supposedly believe in.
Flygerian

Yukon, OK

#32 Apr 24, 2013
CWU wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you obey all the commandments of the God of Abraham?
I cannot perform all of them because all of them are not applicable to my life.
Fremont Rose

Anonymous Proxy

#33 Apr 24, 2013
dollarsbill wrote:
God sends Hid children to warn the lost. Satan sends his children to call God a liar.
Amen...if they were content with going to hell they would be in their gay bars having anal sex so they could get their in a hurry.

All gays like HE are pedophiles, so they must deflect in hopes that they are not discovered.

Think about it, from 1973 to 1994, NAMBLA the gay pedophiles ran the IGLA (gay organization). Bill Clinton denounced the IGLA for their infusion with NAMBLA and had a $119 million grant retracted. Suddenly, the 65% gay pedophile IGLA lost no members, the officers who were both officers of the IGLA and NAMBLA remained in place, but yet they claimed no affiliation with NAMBLA.

Well, for $119 million I might claim I do not sleep with your wife every night.

The fact is atheists are twice as likely to divorce, commit suicide, and go to jail. An atheist in prison once said, it is best to give all atheists a life sentence or death, even him, because they do not believe in anything to repent of and to.
Fremont Rose

Anonymous Proxy

#34 Apr 24, 2013
HighlyEvolved wrote:
<quoted text>
Dahmer as raised by devout Christian parents. So was Timothy McVeigh, Adolph Hitler, Josef Stalin, and Benito Mussolini.
So were John Wayne Gacy, Henry Lee Lucas, Ted Kaczynski (the Unabomber), Ted Bundy, and Jim Jones.
And so were the perpetrators of the Columbine shooting, the Virginia Tech shooting, the Sandy Hook shooting, and the Colorado theater shooting>
Do you see a pattern emerging?
Yes, the pattern is like you, they rejected Christ and we all homosexuals and therefore evil.

Dahmer was a gay serial sex rapist who ate people. Adolph Hitler was a gay pedophile who killed Jews and anyone who believed in God.

"Jeffrey Dahmer, an infamous serial killer and atheist sentenced to 900 years in prison, said “if a person doesn’t think that there is a God to be accountable to, then what’s the point of trying to modify your behavior to keep it within acceptable ranges?”. He brutally killed seventeen men and boys, dismembering them, storing their parts and indulging in cannibalism and necrophilia. In 1991, he was caught by the police after one of his would-be victims escaped. Despite pleading not guilty on the basis on insanity, the court found him sane and fully accountable. He later expressed remorse."

Jim Jones was an atheist who ran a cult and led people to kill themselves.

See the pattern, all these people were gay atheists who had nothing to live for and nothing to die for, so they were evil gays. In fact, the serial gay AIDS spreader was an atheist. He said, "if I have to go, I will take as may of the people who made me this way with me, other gays."

75% of serial mass murderers are HOMOSEXUALS, see the pattern.
Fremont Rose

Anonymous Proxy

#35 Apr 24, 2013
Gary Coaldigger wrote:
I understand the Atheists point of view of religion and you're in your right to challenge one's beliefs.
You may or may not meant to but what you have established here is that there are those who you have flushed out into the open of not really practicing what they preach or believe.
Some of those who gets on here self proclaiming to be a Christian and yet all they do is talk about ole' gloom & doom of God's wrath and judgment is going to befall upon you and that you are going to go to Hell and burn eternally in the lake of fire
However,if these self proclaimed Christians really know the concept of Christianity in its entirety of what its suppose to be about then they would not focus so much on God's wrath & judgment and what will happen to you because what they harp on about with you about Hell and eternal damnation could very well happen to them if they don't get their own act straight and get their own house in order and keep it that way instead of concerning them selves of what will happen to you if you don't do the same,according to their beliefs.
What these self proclaimed Christians believe is "salvation security" whereas no matter what they do after they supposedly accept Christ into their lives they believe they will be forgiven even though they them selves still continue to live in their own sins and has not depart from them yet they feel,but not actually be,righteous in the sight of God when they take pleasure in chastising and judging those who don't go to suit them,don't believe as they supposedly do and who offends them for who they proclaim to be and what they supposedly believe in.
I will make this short. Perhaps you do not know is that Jesus spoke 3 to 5 times as much about God's wrath and hell, than he did heaven and love. Why would we do any different? Can't you figure out why? It is easy, how can we tell one about where they need to go, until we let them know where they are currently going.

I have heard some say that they prefer to go to hell, because it is funner and a big party, and who wishes to sit around and praise and worship God 24/7. That is Saturday night, not going to wake up Sunday morning talk. These people must first know that hell is no party.

Consider the lie that most people live. "When they went out and got drunk, nearly raped, puked in the car, passed out over the toilet, was sick the next day, how come Monday at work they always had a blast at a great party?

HERE IS THE THING, ONLY NONCHRISTIANS WHO CLAIM TO BE, LIKE LOVEISMYGOAL, NETTIE AND SERIOUSLY NEED WORRY ABOUT HELL.

If a person is truly a Christian, then hell is not even an option for them and that is the message.

Just saying.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#36 Apr 25, 2013
little lamb wrote:
<quoted text>
Love it.....
Yeah, they're SOOOOOOOOO transparent.

“You only think that you know”

Since: Feb 10

but you're not even close.

#37 Apr 25, 2013
Fremont Rose wrote:
<quoted text>I will make this short. Perhaps you do not know is that Jesus spoke 3 to 5 times as much about God's wrath and hell, than he did heaven and love. Why would we do any different? Can't you figure out why? It is easy, how can we tell one about where they need to go, until we let them know where they are currently going.
I have heard some say that they prefer to go to hell, because it is funner and a big party, and who wishes to sit around and praise and worship God 24/7. That is Saturday night, not going to wake up Sunday morning talk. These people must first know that hell is no party.
Consider the lie that most people live. "When they went out and got drunk, nearly raped, puked in the car, passed out over the toilet, was sick the next day, how come Monday at work they always had a blast at a great party?
HERE IS THE THING, ONLY NONCHRISTIANS WHO CLAIM TO BE, LIKE LOVEISMYGOAL, NETTIE AND SERIOUSLY NEED WORRY ABOUT HELL.
If a person is truly a Christian, then hell is not even an option for them and that is the message.
Just saying.
...and yet Jesus also spoke of loving your neighbor as you do yourself,pluck the beam out of your own eye,forgive those who trespass against you,if they smite you on the cheek then offer them your other cheek,blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called the children of God,for Jesus said "suffer the children to come unto me for such is the kingdom of Heaven and beloved,if God so loved us,we ought also to love one another

So,you all can defend your gloom & doom of talking about God's wrath,judgment day,hellfire,lake of fire and eternal damnation as much as you please if that's what makes you feel so righteous about yourself,however,if that is all you have to offer to those like Nettie and the others on here then you truly do not know God and it shows so in a lot of you all's posts towards those who don't believe as you do.
Flygerian

Yukon, OK

#38 Apr 27, 2013
HighlyEvolved wrote:
<quoted text>
When drunks sober up they immediately grab another drink. In fact, most drinks have high levels of alcohol in their blood at all times.
Doesnt matter lol. They NEED that alcohol and when it wears off they are MISERABLE. Again how does this compare to religion?
HighlyEvolved wrote:
The same with Christians. When people leave Christianity (or any faith) and become agnostic, then atheistic, they find it hard at first to deal with reality. Some crawl back into their delusions.
Others, the stronger ones, learn to transcend their fear of death, acknowledge that there is no afterlife, and go on to become productive citizens (Warren Buffett, Bill Gates, Albert Einstein, Andrew Carnegie, Susan B. Anthony, Helen Keller, Isaac Asimov, to name but a few.)
How is it known there is no afterlife?

Warren Buffet? Bill Gates? Do you believe these two are upstanding characters of human society? If so then you have a lot to learn for a person that claims to be "smarter" then myself
HighlyEvolved wrote:
I don't want to claim that atheists are superior in every way to theists. My point is that atheists lead rational lives, while religious people harbor delusions.
Here's more proof: almost all atheists reject ALL superstitious belief.
Meanwhile, almost all people who consult astrological charts, psychics, and fortune tellers are religious. Almost all people who believe that UFOs are space craft from alien planets, or that the Loch Ness Monster, Bigfoot, and crop circles are real, are religious believers.
Hilarious lol. I've know atheists that believed in aliens for one. Two, wheres your statistics? NOTHING. Just your personal bias. If Im incorrect, show me por favor. Because all Im seeing is YOUR WORDS.
HighlyEvolved wrote:
Once you become a full-fledged atheist by engaging in rational thought and logical deduction, you learn to reject ALL outrageous claims that are not backed by solid evidence.
So no, atheists aren't better than you. We're just less gullible, smarter, and more rational.
You're not less gullible at all. Heck, you believe you came from nothing. That takes alot more faith then believing there was a Being that set ALL things into existence.
Uncircumcised Philistine

Atlanta, GA

#39 Apr 27, 2013
HighlyEvolved wrote:
Atheists are often criticized for being arrogant in their stance that the God of the Bible is a mythological creature.
American Christians are no less arrogant in their defenses of their faith, which leads me to ask this question: what is the benefit of being an American Christian instead of an American atheist?
American Christians divorce at a higher rate than American atheists.
The percentage of American Christians who have committed crimes is higher than the percentage of American atheists criminals, when compared to the overall percentage of Christians and atheists who are Americans.
When American Christians do "good things" (such as volunteering or giving to charity) they are often doing so in conditioned response to an ethereal reward/punishment set of beliefs. When atheists do "good things" its because they simply want to do them.
There is no advantage to being a Christian versus being an atheist in America. Atheists are demonstrably more law-abiding, less likely to divorce, and acting more form the heart when doing "good things."
Are Christians happier because they believe in an afterlife? Yes, that is true. Many studies have shown that Christians are generally happier than atheists.
But then again, drunks are happier than sober people. What good is happiness if you need to get drunk (believe in a delusion) to achieve it?
If you dont believe in Christianity, why are you on a christian forum then. Get a life.
Big Al

Hibbing, MN

#40 Apr 27, 2013
Uncircumcised Philistine wrote:
<quoted text>
If you dont believe in Christianity, why are you on a christian forum then. Get a life.
From my perspective the answer to your question is…

As noted previously in a different thread this is a public forum open to all for the discussion of Christianity. Christianity affects society as a whole not just Christians and many of us “infidels” were cradle Christians like myself who questioned their beliefs and find it interesting to see how current Christians respond to the questions we asked ourselves in the past.

I of course am only very familiar with the particular brand of Christianity that I grew up with and find it interesting to read about the different variations I am not so familiar with. I also think many Christians hold beliefs that are harmful to themselves and society as a whole and I like to use this form as an opportunity to point that out.

"As editor of the largest newspaper in West Virginia, I scan hundreds of reports daily and I am amazed by the frequency with which religion causes people to kill each other." - James Haught, The Charleston Gazette

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Divinity of Jesus and his Role 3 min little lamb 8
Does the Law of God matter? 5 min little lamb 76
"little lamb" IS A JEHOVAH'S WITNESS 5 min Truth 3
Jesus is God 12 min dollarsbill 33
Is Paul a false Apostle? (Sep '13) 14 min dollarsbill 3,869
Noah’s ark and the rainbow. 20 min dollarsbill 356
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 31 min Burke Devlin 6,563
*Forgiveness* 2 hr dollarsbill 254
Homosexual acts remain a sin. 11 hr Generation of Vipers 1,784
More from around the web