Doe's anyone here pray in prostration...

Doe's anyone here pray in prostration as Yeshuah did?

Posted in the Christian Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Frank

Clinton, NC

#1 Jan 20, 2013
Yeah, doe's anyone here prostrate in prayer as most of the prophets and others mentioned in scripture?
Rand M Sutor

United States

#2 Jan 21, 2013
Although it is possible to pray to God from any position, the best position is from the place of humility! The Bible tells us that God does not accapt the proud and haughty, but rather the humble.

From the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. It's okay to pray from the prostrate position, but know that God will be looking at your heart more than anything else. He's more concerned about what you have in your heart than anything else.

If the heart is right, everything, from there outward will be right. It's possible to be known as a very nice person, and one who does his job (work) well, and still have unforgiveness and hatrid in your heart!
Rand M Sutor

United States

#3 Jan 21, 2013
There are two easy ways to look at yourself honestly. The first way is to consider how you act at home. The other way is to honestly consider the way you act toward a peticular person or situation when you are caught off guard!

“so tell me......”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#4 Jan 21, 2013
Frank wrote:
Yeah, doe's anyone here prostrate in prayer as most of the prophets and others mentioned in scripture?
Can you please give some references and examples of this?

Since: Oct 07

UK

#5 Jan 21, 2013
I pray (talk to God) on and off all day long in every position laying on bed ,doing the laundry , washing dishes , ironing clothes , taking a shower , sitting on toilet , on the computer , everywhere I go public places private places
One day several years ago I decided to pray "properly" like I seen and heard in Churches and Christian tv programs so I got on my knees head and arms on floor and began a speil using big words I heard the preachers use and finished with and now I come boldly into the throneroom
I heard the Lord laugh in amusement ..."What ???" I said peeking one eye open ..he laughed again ,like a Parent does when a two year old amuses them ...."WHAT ???" I said again more emphatically and sat up eyes opened ..he replied gently and with amusement in his voice along the lines of "you barge in and out of here all day long without so much as a knock on the door and now you think you can come in using a bunch of big words half of which you don't even know the meaning "
I laughed along with him ...we still have a wee giggle about that one .
He has had me on my knees a couple of times ...once he asked me to get on my knees and pray at my bedside ...I shook with fear ..."Your kidding right ??? I said .a mouse had jumped out of a bag under my bed earlier that day ...Nope he wasn't ..No chance Lord please don't do this to me I croaked paralysed with fear ..trust me he said that little mouse is more scared of you than you are of it and if I can't get you to trust me about a little thing like a mouse how will you trust me when it comes to the big stuff ...or something along they lines so on my shaking knees I got and back on top of that bed I got as soon as he said okay you can get up now ... I can now laugh at that one too my fear of mice is now gone and my trust in him is steadfast.
Prayer ....communication with God is available 24/7 no matter what position we may be in ...just be yourself
Punisher

Tuckahoe, NY

#6 Jan 21, 2013
Does, does not require an apostrophe...doe's would be a possessive form of doe...a deer a female deer, ray, a drop of golden sun...me, a name I call my self, fa, a long long way from home...so, a needle pulling thread, te, a drink with jam and bread...

“Jesus is coming again!”

Location hidden

#7 Jan 21, 2013
Any scripture reference for this thought? I don't recall Jesus doing that.

bibleuniverse

“Jesus is coming again!”

Location hidden

#8 Jan 21, 2013
That name your using for Jesus threw me for a loop, forgive me I'm not feeling well today. But, I did manage to look it up.

Prayer is the most holy exercise of the soul. It should be sincere, humble, earnest—the desires of a renewed heart breathed in the presence of a holy God. When the suppliant feels that he is in the divine presence, self will be forgotten. He will have no desire to display human talent; he will not seek to please the ear of men, but to obtain the blessing which the soul craves.[542]–{CCh 294.2}
Both in public and in private worship, it is our privilege to bow on our knees before the Lord when we offer our petitions to Him. Jesus, our example,“kneeled down, and prayed.” Luke 22:41. Of His disciples it is recorded that they, too,“kneeled down, and prayed.” Acts 9:40; 20:36; 21:5. Paul declared,“I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.” Ephesians 3:14. In confessing before God the sins of Israel, Ezra knelt. Ezra 9:5. Daniel “kneeled upon his knees three times a day, and prayed, and gave thanks before his God.” Daniel 6:10.[543]–{CCh 294.3}

“so tell me......”

Location hidden

#9 Jan 21, 2013
Signs of the Times wrote:
Any scripture reference for this thought? I don't recall Jesus doing that.
bibleuniverse
My thought exactly.

“Jesus is coming again!”

Location hidden

#10 Jan 21, 2013
I'm really not feeling well, I thought I was at a different forum. Forgive me again. Thank you.
Frank

Holly Springs, NC

#11 Jan 22, 2013
angelinaUK wrote:
<quoted text>Can you please give some references and examples of this?
If you're a bible reader than I'm sure that you've encountered them, however in true topix form I assume that you're asking so that you can refute it? Sorry if I'm reading you wrong, but I've come to expect certain things when having discussions with topix people, lol. But anyways, here's just a few, there are around 30 or so mentions of prostration in scripture and there are sects that exist--and have existed in the past--whom also prostrate or prostrated.

Moses bowed to the ground at once and worshiped. Exodus 34:7-9

Ezra praised the LORD, the great God; and all the people lifted their hands and responded,“Amen! Amen!” Then they bowed down and worshiped the LORD with their faces to the ground. Nehemiah 8:5-7

Going a little farther, he (Jesus) fell to the ground and prayed that if possible the hour might pass from him. Mark 14:34-36

It just seems more befitting, I mean, when you pray you're worshipping the creator of all things. It seems to me that people tend to show greater reverence to a so-called "important" person than they do G-d, ya know?

“so tell me......”

Location hidden

#12 Jan 22, 2013
Frank wrote:
<quoted text>
If you're a bible reader than I'm sure that you've encountered them, however in true topix form I assume that you're asking so that you can refute it? Sorry if I'm reading you wrong, but I've come to expect certain things when having discussions with topix people, lol. But anyways, here's just a few, there are around 30 or so mentions of prostration in scripture and there are sects that exist--and have existed in the past--whom also prostrate or prostrated.
Moses bowed to the ground at once and worshiped. Exodus 34:7-9
Ezra praised the LORD, the great God; and all the people lifted their hands and responded,“Amen! Amen!” Then they bowed down and worshiped the LORD with their faces to the ground. Nehemiah 8:5-7
Going a little farther, he (Jesus) fell to the ground and prayed that if possible the hour might pass from him. Mark 14:34-36
It just seems more befitting, I mean, when you pray you're worshipping the creator of all things. It seems to me that people tend to show greater reverence to a so-called "important" person than they do G-d, ya know?
I may have misunderstood your title question but I thought you were taking about praying while laying flat out n the ground. The passages you mention here seem to me to indicate falling on their knees to pray or worship.
Frank

Holly Springs, NC

#13 Jan 22, 2013
angelinaUK wrote:
<quoted text>I may have misunderstood your title question but I thought you were taking about praying while laying flat out n the ground. The passages you mention here seem to me to indicate falling on their knees to pray or worship.
Yes, placing your head down to the floor, similiar to how muslims and many "Karaite" "jews" do it, as Yeshuah is described as doing.

Matthew 26:39

"Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed..."
epitome

Silver City, NM

#14 Jan 22, 2013

THE AMAZING THING ABOUT GOD IS WHAT HE DEMANDS OF US HE GIVES US IN Christ Jesus

why not find out about this

instead of trying to pray perfectly as God law demands and finding out you cant do it perfectly with perfect motives ..

http://www.christianliferesources.com/images/...

Frank

Holly Springs, NC

#15 Jan 22, 2013
epitome wrote:
THE AMAZING THING ABOUT GOD IS WHAT HE DEMANDS OF US HE GIVES US IN Christ Jesus
why not find out about this
instead of trying to pray perfectly as God law demands and finding out you cant do it perfectly with perfect motives ..
http://www.christianliferesources.com/images/...
So what you're saying is that we should dis-regard the examples of our prophets and focus on other stuff?

Btw, my views on Yeshuah are probaly a bit different than yours--I'm assuming that you think he's G-d whereas I view him as potentially the Messiah but nothing else.
Jim

Somerset, NJ

#16 Jan 22, 2013
Rand M Sutor wrote:
Although it is possible to pray to God from any position, the best position is from the place of humility! The Bible tells us that God does not accapt the proud and haughty, but rather the humble.
From the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. It's okay to pray from the prostrate position, but know that God will be looking at your heart more than anything else. He's more concerned about what you have in your heart than anything else.
If the heart is right, everything, from there outward will be right. It's possible to be known as a very nice person, and one who does his job (work) well, and still have unforgiveness and hatrid in your heart!
Whether a person is proud has nothing to do with how one should pray as far as kneeling, sitting, standing, etc. Jesus did not make any statement regarding a position or particular way a person must pray. If a person wants to pray kneeling down, sitting, or standing up, there is nothing in the New Testament that says one or the other is the right way. Muslims sometimes claim that they are more pious because they prostrate themselves when they pray. In other words, they lie to themselves by thinking they're better because they prostrate themselves. This in itself is an example of haughtiness and foolish pride. If you simply want to sit and meditate and say a prayer, I don't see why it would be considered better than praying prostrate or kneeling. Don't be like the Pharisees who made rules because they simply wanted to appear more pious.
The Evangelist

Indianapolis, IN

#17 Jan 22, 2013
At the end of every church service there 'should' be an altar call. A time for for those unsaved to get saved and a time for saved Christians to pray at the altar. There is nothing like walking up in front of a whole church (not caring what anyone thinks) and just kneeling down and praying to the Lord at the altar. It's a complete surrender to God and it shows Him you care more about God than what some fellow church member thinks.
Frank

Holly Springs, NC

#18 Jan 22, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Whether a person is proud has nothing to do with how one should pray as far as kneeling, sitting, standing, etc. Jesus did not make any statement regarding a position or particular way a person must pray. If a person wants to pray kneeling down, sitting, or standing up, there is nothing in the New Testament that says one or the other is the right way. Muslims sometimes claim that they are more pious because they prostrate themselves when they pray. In other words, they lie to themselves by thinking they're better because they prostrate themselves. This in itself is an example of haughtiness and foolish pride. If you simply want to sit and meditate and say a prayer, I don't see why it would be considered better than praying prostrate or kneeling. Don't be like the Pharisees who made rules because they simply wanted to appear more pious.
Well, it's not about being like the Pharisees or trying to appear more pious. It's just that, I would assume that Moses and co., seeing how that received revelation and all, would kknow a bit more about this then us, hence praying in prostration would be the way to go. And while I don't think that Yeshuah is G-d (that's idolatry), IF I did think that he was G-d, that would be even more reason for me to want to emulate him---and it was mentioned that fell upon his face in prayer. That's all, no biggy.

On another note, those last couple of sentences of mine kind of demonstrated how absurd it is to believe hat Yeshuah is G-d.

I mean, lol, according to that theory, G-d prostrated in prayer to G-d, asking G-d to cause the cup to pass, lol.

Shalom

“There Is One Truth! Jesus!”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#19 Jan 22, 2013
Frank wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, it's not about being like the Pharisees or trying to appear more pious. It's just that, I would assume that Moses and co., seeing how that received revelation and all, would kknow a bit more about this then us, hence praying in prostration would be the way to go. And while I don't think that Yeshuah is G-d (that's idolatry), IF I did think that he was G-d, that would be even more reason for me to want to emulate him---and it was mentioned that fell upon his face in prayer. That's all, no biggy.
On another note, those last couple of sentences of mine kind of demonstrated how absurd it is to believe hat Yeshuah is G-d.
I mean, lol, according to that theory, G-d prostrated in prayer to G-d, asking G-d to cause the cup to pass, lol.
Shalom
Moses also prayed standing up. If you survey the Hebrew Scriptures you will see that there is not one definitive way to pray.

Regarding the New Testament the following verses are relevant to show that there is not one definitive way to pray:

STANDING WHILE PRAYING:

According to Mark 11:25 (NIV), Jesus said: "And when you STAND praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive them, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins.”

Notice Jesus mentions prayer while standing. If it was improper to pray while standing I'm sure Jesus would have said something about it.

THE PARABLE OF THE PHARISEE AND THE TAX COLLECTOR
Luke 18:10-13(NIV)
10 “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee STOOD by himself and prayed:‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’ 13 “But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said,‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’
Notice again that Jesus made a definite reference to standing while praying. He then went on to mention that the tax collector "would not even look up to heaven" while praying. In fact, it is not improper to stand and looking up towards heaven and holding palms up towards heaven while praying. So if kneeling or being prostrate while praying is the absolute best way to pray, then why is it that Jesus mentions praying while standing and even eludes to it being improper to not look towards heaven while praying. However, I certainly don't believe Jesus would care if a person bows his/her head while praying or looking up at heaven; rather, it is most important to pray with a sincere heart and to give thanks at the end of your prayer than to stand, kneel, sit, be prostrate or any other position while praying.

There are many other verses in the New Testament that reference praying and not one of them mandates kneeling and/or being prostrate as the only acceptable ways to pray. People like to make things up as they go along according to what they personally like or believe is appropriate, but such does not mean they are right.

John from Texas

“It's all in your head”

Since: Dec 12

Buda, TX

#20 Jan 22, 2013
Frank wrote:
Not me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Early Christianity (Dec '16) 2 min Taranis 2,719
Are Your Beliefs TRUE? 13 min Taranis 402
Help Me Send Bibles To The Dominican Republic! 17 min Taranis 6
breath of god, and how we come to light. 37 min Taranis 242
America is a constitutional republic, based on ... 49 min Taranis 31
Why did Christ come to Earth? (Oct '16) 1 hr truth 1,407
jesus will never return 1 hr Taranis 163
More from around the web