Racism
Job

Santa Clara, CA

#1 Aug 11, 2012
I've seen this word thrown out from time to time in relation to religion (or Christianity, depending on which word of the 2 words are more appropriate for the occasion).

I'd really like to know what people think the relationship is. Is religion/Christianity really a direct cause of racism? Or is it just a word to add to the negative stats, realizing that it can be worked in if needed.

There are certainly people of religion that are racist, like any other group type.

Does 'racism' just look good on religion's/Christianity's 'dark' resume; thus added for effect? Or does racism 'really' tie-in in some significant manner?
Punisher

Tuckahoe, NY

#2 Aug 11, 2012
I think the link is historical. Its that Xtianity made the Western male believe he was Gods chosen among all the people on the planet. And with that went out in the world and exacted a pretty lethal price on natives peoples everywhere.

Does Faith = racism? No. Xtian faith effects on racism is more in inspiration and justification, rather than a direct result. Racists find in Religion their justifications for their prejudices - they find inspiration to act-out, actually they find direct direction to act-out - and in the case of Racism its usually a more powerful agent against a lesser...and in that power imbalance Religion plays a huge role because the Believer believes they are Gods chosen, and doing his work...and as such exempt from sin and punishment.

IMO, Religion isnt a direct A to Z cause in most cases, its a means to justify ones bad behavior towards others, no matter what it is..."I am righteous in the eyes of God, and what I do and say is righteous and above your petty secular rules!" Is how I would express it...

But in insular societies, like we see in Islamic locales, I do think faith is a direct cause of racism, and hate towards others...as it the very base/foundation of all their teaching, be it from a father, a teacher or an Imam. From day one its, "You belong to the favored Sect, and all others are to be reviled and if possible killed for their apostasy/heresy - God commands it!." At least in the more isolated, insular locales...hard to beat that back when from the youngest of age its all many hear...how vile others are compared to your Sect/clan/people.

“Of Course I Can”

Since: Sep 08

Matawan, NJ

#4 Aug 11, 2012
Always remember, man invented religion as a means to worship his or her God. God himself did not invent religion.

As a man-made philosophy or institution, it is bound to be flawed.

I can't help but believe that if God took a good hard look at the state of "religion" today, he might have second thoughts about the whole hopelessly flawed concept.

“Of Course I Can”

Matawan, NJ

#6 Aug 11, 2012
Not confused at all, Dr. Loon.

I explained myself pretty well. If your limited reading skills and looney persona are preventing you from understanding my point, then it's not my problem...it's yours.

And God knows, you've got your share of those.

By the way, your entire verbose diatrabe is completely mindless. Thanks for playing though. Pick up your consolation prize on your way back to your padded cell.
Doctor One Millionth wrote:
<quoted text>You and your kind-minded will forever be confused with God and religion, truth or ignorance, heaven or hell, the blue pill or the red pill.
Christians allude to the fact that the reality that unbelievers are accustomed to is a lie and that Christ can show them the truth. You are asked to make a choice between two pills, red and blue. The blue pill will cause you to "wake up in [his] bed and believe whatever [he] want[s] to believe." He is told that if he takes the red pill, however, he will "stay in enligntenment" and Christ will "show [him] how deep the rabbit hole goes," an allusion to Alice in Wonderland.
Christian chooses the red pill and are illuminated as to the true nature of the spiritual world around us; a detailed simulation of Earth and Heaven, which keeps the inhabitants, whose physical bodies are stored in massive power plants, complacent in a mental prison, in order to convert their heat and bioelectrical energy into power for global consumption and control.

“Of Course I Can”

Matawan, NJ

#8 Aug 11, 2012
It's okay doc. You go ahead and have that melt-down. After you cry yourself to sleep and the orderlies change your diaper. You'll feel all refreshed and good to go.

;)

Sceptical_Mal

“Born again atheist”

Since: Jun 12

Melbourne

#9 Aug 12, 2012
Sundog512 wrote:
<quoted text>You are very confused, Sun Dog sucker. You suck dog butts, now that is confusing.
You explained that when you were 30 that you confused a 5 year old boy for being 18 and claimed that you see it as consenual, but since you served your time you want us to leave it in your past.
Poor, Sun dog butt sucker, are you upset and you can't spell. What is diatrabe? Your diatribe sucks like you suck dog butts. Come on, gay boy, step it up.
NOW, FREAK OUT, WHILE I LAUGH SOME MORE.
DON'T WORRY, IF I WERE A WEAK PUSS LIKE YOU, I WOULD NOT TRY TO TAKE ON DOC, ALONE EITHER. MAYBE, YOU CAN FIT IN WAAT'S PANTIES SINCE YOU COULD NOT DEAL WITH HER BIG MOUTH.~!~~~~~AMATEUR~~~~~~~.
Bye, Bye......Sundoggie
Not sure that I get the gist of this post 100% but you sure are one freaking lunatic.

Pretty sure I kow who you are and what you claim to be, which you are not.
Punisher

Bronxville, NY

#10 Aug 12, 2012
always good to see a decent thread go off the rails...

“Of Course I Can”

Matawan, NJ

#11 Aug 12, 2012
If the doctor shows up, the thread, like all logic and reason, is gone.
Job

Santa Clara, CA

#12 Aug 12, 2012
Punisher wrote:
I think the link is historical. Its that Xtianity made the Western male believe he was Gods chosen among all the people on the planet. And with that went out in the world and exacted a pretty lethal price on natives peoples everywhere.
Does Faith = racism? No. Xtian faith effects on racism is more in inspiration and justification, rather than a direct result. Racists find in Religion their justifications for their prejudices - they find inspiration to act-out, actually they find direct direction to act-out - and in the case of Racism its usually a more powerful agent against a lesser...and in that power imbalance Religion plays a huge role because the Believer believes they are Gods chosen, and doing his work...and as such exempt from sin and punishment.
IMO, Religion isnt a direct A to Z cause in most cases, its a means to justify ones bad behavior towards others, no matter what it is..."I am righteous in the eyes of God, and what I do and say is righteous and above your petty secular rules!" Is how I would express it...
The question that comes to my mind; did religion in general (any, all), which has always been historically global, cause each people group worldwide to think they were 'racially' superior? Or, did Christianity cause converted Jews to Christianity to think they were racially superior? Or did the Asian converts to Christianity throughout the Orient develop a racial superiority? I think the majority of historical conflict between people groups involved 'ethnicism' as opposed to 'racism'. The conflicts in the Middle East, Africa, Asia, Europe, Native American tribes were more ethnic/tribal based as opposed to racial. Of course racial groups were further apart at that time.

So it could be argued that the historical ethnic conflicts were predecessors to racism. But how much did religion 'really' play a part in terms of what probably was inevitable judging by human nature? Did developing a national/ethnic/tribal religion and god(s) cause them to hate their neighbor? Or, as I think you referenced further down in your post, merely an inspiration? In other words, did the Greeks for instance develop a feeling of ethnic superiority 'after' the Greeks Gods permeated their society? Or, was it already there to begin with?

I think the Western male 'superiority' complex is a tough one to really pinpoint. I don't personally think it was Christianity that caused it, because the contradiction in scripture is just too overwhelming. Either the Bible had to be 'cloaked' to hide many of it's messages, or those that use scripture (today) to suggest that the Western Europeans (British, etc.) are the descendants of Abraham are pretty much in the 'minority'. Christianity may have been a tool to some degree, but only in a very 'fabricated' way. Sort of like making 'Billy The Kid' out to be a 'hero'. It's not Billy The Kid's fault he's portrayed as a hero at times.

Another issue is that 'lighter' skin has generally been favored worldwide. Even in African nations. The higher 'caste', like in India, and throughout Asia, are of a lighter skin tone. This is not a religion based issue at all. At least not directly. And I think we can see the fruit of this today in terms of 'White' favoritism worldwide. The 'White' expat in non-western countries are a class of their own. The rules of 'immigration' status do not apply. They get around the 'immigrant' status that all other newcomers have to succumb to. So the Western (white) superiority theme probably has deep roots that extend beyond religion/Christianity.

The worldwide "White Standard of beauty" is so much of a secular concept, and extends past so many religious boundaries, that I don't think it can really be placed on the shoulders of Christianity. It's only an evil in principle, but not in practice. The "WSOB" is both condemned 'and' promoted.
Job

Santa Clara, CA

#13 Aug 12, 2012
Punisher wrote:
1. Does Faith = racism? No. Xtian faith effects on racism is more in inspiration and justification, rather than a direct result. Racists find in Religion their justifications for their prejudices - they find inspiration to act-out, actually they find direct direction to act-out - and in the case of Racism its usually a more powerful agent against a lesser...and in that power imbalance Religion plays a huge role because the Believer believes they are Gods chosen, and doing his work...and as such exempt from sin and punishment.

But in insular societies, like we see in Islamic locales, I do think faith is a direct cause of racism, and hate towards others...as it the very base/foundation of all their teaching, be it from a father, a teacher or an Imam. From day one its, "You belong to the favored Sect, and all others are to be reviled and if possible killed for their apostasy/heresy - God commands it!." At least in the more isolated, insular locales...hard to beat that back when from the youngest of age its all many hear...how vile others are compared to your Sect/clan/people.
1. I would agree. I think religion, including Christianity has been a misused, abused, tool.

2. Islam would be another example of 'ethnicism' as opposed to 'racism'. Much of their conflicts, other than between separate Muslim sects, have been ethnic related (hating Kurds, Hebrews, etc.). Plus, we have to consider how accepting are Arab/Turkish/Iranian Muslims to White/European, Asian, African converts? How much are the core Muslims focused on their skin-color? Do they fall privy to the common focus on lighter skin-tone? Do they favor a more European looking Arab-Muslim, over a more pure Arab (or Turk, Iranian, etc.)?

The focus on race differs in other countries. The U.S. is a very color-coded country. We don't focus much on ethnicity any more (Italian, Irish, German, etc.), but on 'race'(color). The rest of the world is more ethnic focused. In Japan, pure ethnic Japanese is at the top of the ladder. Below them is 'White', and below 'White' is all others, which includes those technically from their own race (Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, etc.). In Thailand, a 'pure' Thai is 'not' at the top. It's the those mixed with Thai, Chinese, and European, because of the lighter skin-tone.

Since: Jun 12

Atlanta, GA

#14 Aug 12, 2012
Religion does not directly cause racism, but does contribute to the lack of integration that does not allow races to better understand each other.

Religion does directly cause prejudice. Churches in particuliar seem to teach that their faith is superior to any other faith or way of life. When those sheep go into the barnyard they look down on the different faith or no faith sheep and tell them they are damned. They seem to be so brainwashed, the prejudice "faithful" sheep may not even realize how far they have strayed from the basic faith doctrines.

As an example, if two sheep of the same sex want to be together, the so called "faith" sheep prejudge them as a group, call them names and try to restrict how the gay sheep live their life.

The barnyard can be a cruel place fueled by the faithful sheep's attempt to prove their faith is right.
deprogram your mind

Fort Lee, NJ

#17 Apr 8, 2014
Punisher wrote:
always good to see a decent thread go off the rails...
Our entire society has gone off the rails.

Anyway, John Baker was a biologist and physical anthropologist from Oxford University. In 1974 he wrote a book titled "Race." He felt that different groups of people had different mental capacities and dispositions. The book has been put online. Here it is:

http://emilkirkegaard.dk/en/wp-content/upload...
espy

Richmond, VA

#18 Apr 9, 2014
deprogram your mind wrote:
<quoted text>
Our entire society has gone off the rails.
Anyway, John Baker was a biologist and physical anthropologist from Oxford University. In 1974 he wrote a book titled "Race." He felt that different groups of people had different mental capacities and dispositions. The book has been put online. Here it is:
http://emilkirkegaard.dk/en/wp-content/upload...
Got it, read it, don't exactly agree with all of it. If all walks of life[every race/ethnicity] have people who are intelligent as well as unintelligent that pretty much nullifies the concept of a superior race based upon the specific premise of race. Here's another way to think about it: when I was in high school, our algebra teacher stated that we students[all of whom were of the same race] would have to show the correct process of work[how she taught it] AND the correct answer in order to obtain complete credit for the task. I worked the problems in my head and failed to notate on paper how I came up with the correct answers. The results were: I received a lower grade than other kids who were actually less intelligent than me[especially when it came to algebra]. I received the lower grade because of not WANTING to follow procedure; not because I didn't comprehend algebra. Did my choosing to go against the grain have anything whatsoever to do with my race?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is there any evidence Apostles Peter and Paul b... 27 min DOLLARSBILL LOVES... 106
Forum has gone to the dogs 30 min DOLLARSBILL LOVES... 82
Early Christianity 35 min DOLLARSBILL LOVES... 1,318
failed prophecies 42 min DOLLARSBILL LOVES... 664
What God Said About Barnsweb: 45 min DOLLARSBILL LOVES... 2
Dan Snow and It is i bible class 54 min Dan Snow 1
If you believe in Noah's Ark, you are a certifi... (Dec '08) 15 hr DrSCIENCE 1,360
More from around the web