The Way I Read The Scriptures...........

The Way I Read The Scriptures.................

Posted in the Christian Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#1 Nov 2, 2013
.......the dead in Christ will rise from their graves first then all of you will meet your ghost pal floating on a cloud, fly off to paradise to live in bliss forever while those of us who disagree with you roast on an eternal rotisserie like a leg of lamb. We will scream, cry, moan, groan, anguish continuously but there'll be no relief. Is that what you believe?

Do you turn the other cheek?

Do you walk the extra mile?

Do you love your neighbors?

Do you love your enemies?

Do you pray for those who curse and despise you?

If a man sues you in court for your coat do you volunteer to also give him your cloak?

Do you never tell a lie?

Are you perfect even as the father is perfect?

Do you tithe your gross?

Just Checking because that is what's required of you. That's the life a Christian is instructed to live.

Are you on your knees praying for me right now? If you are don't waste your breath.I had most of the new testament memorized chapter and verse when I was in my 20's. I turned down an offer to become an ordained minister to stay out of the military in 1957. I was in the army in 1957/58 and stayed in the guards till 1964. Christianity is a crutch for some and a way to rip people off for others. I don't need it and while you people are singing praises and floating on gossamer wings inside a large wall behind pearly gates I'll be getting reacquainted with my old friends down below. I think the whole thing is the biggest dose of horse shit ever written.

The bible is the only reference for the bible. There were six known historians alive during the year and a half that Jesus allegedly performed miracles and not a one of them mentioned the first thing about it. That would be like the NY Times never mentioning Babe Ruth or Mickey Mantle.
QUITTNER

Port Perry, Canada

#2 Nov 3, 2013
12:56 pm, Sunday, November 3, 2013:
RE: The Way Angel9999 Reads The Scriptures..........
..... As I keep repeating, per definition only those are Christians who follow a Christ's lifestyle and only his teachings. None of the many that were invented after Jesus had been crucified by the Romans.
The truth works

United States

#3 Nov 3, 2013
QUITTNER wrote:
12:56 pm, Sunday, November 3, 2013:
RE: The Way Angel9999 Reads The Scriptures..........
..... As I keep repeating, per definition only those are Christians who follow a Christ's lifestyle and only his teachings. None of the many that were invented after Jesus had been crucified by the Romans.
I thought the Jews gave the big thumbs down.
Jesus only want the Jews to end their corruption and get back to the ways taught by Moses.
That's what I heard.
Big Al

Hibbing, MN

#4 Nov 4, 2013
QUITTNER wrote:
12:56 pm, Sunday, November 3, 2013:
RE: The Way Angel9999 Reads The Scriptures..........
..... As I keep repeating, per definition only those are Christians who follow a Christ's lifestyle and only his teachings. None of the many that were invented after Jesus had been crucified by the Romans.
Jesus' lifestyle (the few years that were written about) was that of a radical first century Jewish teacher who hung out with the outcasts and heretics (Samaritans) of his day. Does that describe your lifestyle?
QUITTNER

Port Perry, Canada

#5 Nov 5, 2013
6:09 pm, Tuesday, November 5, 2013:
RE: The Way Angel9999 Reads The Scriptures.........
..... Read what the section of the Jews, called the Essenes, wanted and compare that with the teachings of Jesus, as outlined above by Angel9999.
I think of Jesus as a Jewish social reformer who helped many people.
..... Jesus hung out with people who were likely to have had troubles and would be likely to join Jesus in his separated intentional community called "The Kingdom of God", because apparently its members always followed what God, their king, wanted, not what the leaders of the Jewish community wanted. For their lifestyle see what Angel9999 listed above.
Big Al

Hibbing, MN

#6 Nov 5, 2013
QUITTNER wrote:
6:09 pm, Tuesday, November 5, 2013:
RE: The Way Angel9999 Reads The Scriptures.........
..... Read what the section of the Jews, called the Essenes, wanted and compare that with the teachings of Jesus, as outlined above by Angel9999.
I think of Jesus as a Jewish social reformer who helped many people.
..... Jesus hung out with people who were likely to have had troubles and would be likely to join Jesus in his separated intentional community called "The Kingdom of God", because apparently its members always followed what God, their king, wanted, not what the leaders of the Jewish community wanted. For their lifestyle see what Angel9999 listed above.
That's right Jesus did not accept the religious dogma of his day. One of his followers, Mathew, was a despised collaberator with the pagan Romans (a tax collector), it was unheard of for a Jew to associate with a heretical Samaritan and Jesus objected to the stoning of Mary Magdalene for adultery as was prescribed by the Law of Moses (the Torah). Does that desribe your lifestyle?
QUITTNER

Port Perry, Canada

#7 Nov 5, 2013
9:50 pm, Tuesday, November 5, 2013:
RE: The Way Angel9999 Reads The Scriptures.........
..... I would also object to the stoning of anyone for anything. You too?
Big Al

Hibbing, MN

#8 Nov 6, 2013
QUITTNER wrote:
9:50 pm, Tuesday, November 5, 2013:
RE: The Way Angel9999 Reads The Scriptures.........
..... I would also object to the stoning of anyone for anything. You too?
According to the Bible bangers of Jesus day stoning was the required penalty for adultery. Jesus obviously opposed the self righteous religious nuts of his day that thought they knew what "God" wanted because they had read the Bible. He obviously preferred ordinary human empathy for our fellow human beings over strict adherence to Bible proclamations. Is that your lifestyle?

No I don't approve of stoning as an appropriate penalty for adultry because I understand that just because people have read an ancient holy book doesn't mean they know the will of "God". I have learned to distrust anyone that claims to know the will of "God".

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#9 Nov 13, 2013
Big Al wrote:
<quoted text>
According to the Bible bangers of Jesus day stoning was the required penalty for adultery. Jesus obviously opposed the self righteous religious nuts of his day that thought they knew what "God" wanted because they had read the Bible. He obviously preferred ordinary human empathy for our fellow human beings over strict adherence to Bible proclamations. Is that your lifestyle?
No I don't approve of stoning as an appropriate penalty for adultry because I understand that just because people have read an ancient holy book doesn't mean they know the will of "God". I have learned to distrust anyone that claims to know the will of "God".
The bible was written by half wits who believed in witches and thought the earth was flat. If one looks at these death penalty sins from the old testament they have to know something ain't right:

There are forty-two death-penalty sins in the Old Testament.

•Murder - Gen. 9:6; Ex. 21:12-14,20,23; Lev. 24:17,21; Num. 35:16-34; Deut. 19.

•Failing to circumcise - Gen. 17:14; Ex. 4:24,25.

•Eating leavened bread during feast of unleavened bread - Ex.
•2:15,19.

•Smiting Parents- Ex. 21:15.

•Kidnapping - Ex. 21:16; Deut. 24:7.

•Cursing Parents - Ex. 21:17; Lev. 20:9.

•Negligence with animals that kill - Ex. 21:28-32.

•Witchcraft - Ex. 22:18.

•Bestiality - Ex. 22:19; Lev. 18:23-29; 20:15,16.

•Idolatry - Ex. 22:20.

•Making holy anointing oil - Ex. 30:33.

•Putting holy anointing oil on strangers - Ex. 30:33.

•Making the holy perfume - Ex. 30:38.

•Defiling the Sabbath - Ex. 31:14.

•Working on the Sabbath - Ex. 35:2.

•Eating the flesh of the peace offerings in
•uncleanness - Lev. 7:20,21.

•Eating the fat of sacrifices - Lev. 7:25.

•Killing sacrifices other than at the door of the tabernacle - Lev. 17:1-9.

•Eating blood - Lev. 17:10-14.

•Incest - Lev. 18:6-29; 20:11-22.

•Eating sacrifices at the wrong time - Lev. 19:5-8.

•Consecration of children to idols - Lev. 20:1-5.

•Spiritualism - Lev. 20:6,27.

•Adultery - Lev. 20:10; Deut. 22:22-30.

•Sodomy/Homosexuality - Lev. 20:13.

•Relationship with a menstruous woman - Lev. 20:18.

•Whoredom - Lev. 21:9; Deut. 22:21,22.

•Sacrilege - Lev. 22:3.

•Refusing to fast on day of atonement - Lev. 23:29.

•Working on atonement - Lev. 23:30.

•Blasphemy - Lev. 24:11-16.

•Failure to keep the Passover - Num. 9:13.

•Presumptuous - Num. 15:30,31.

•Gathering firewood on the Sabbath - Num. 15:32,36.

•Failure to purify self before worship - Num. 19:13,20.

•False prophecy - Deut. 13:1-18; 18:20.

•Leading men away from God - Deut. 13:6-18.

•Stubbornness and rebelliousness - Deut. 21:18-23.

•Gluttony - Deut. 21:20-23.

•Drunkenness - Deut. 21:20-23.

•Backbiting - Deut. 17:2-7.

•False dreams and visions - Deut. 13:1-18.
Maybe your masters know

Las Vegas, NV

#10 Nov 14, 2013
They, your masters, know and have a record of what happened back then.

You bring up a very good point though, why wouldn't there be a record, six historians you say, why not?

Well, perhaps there were those that knew he was coming and was going to do what he did, and maybe there are other reasons that you, not some, don't have the proper recordings and proof right? Maybe sometimes the truth is or has been kept under wraps right?!

History turns into a funny thing when it's in the hands of men no.?

"Witches" are real by the way, i don't know how many know that at this point, but yes "witches" are real and can do "magic" which is actually scientifically explainable, but yeah that stuff is real though.

And no, the bible writers knew exactly what shape the earth was, "the circle of the earth" they said, thats a circle, not a square of flat at all, they knew the earth was round, and they also seemed to be aware that the universe was expanding.

There wasn't a death sentence in the law that was not caused by a horrendous crime, these crimes are those which cause pain only, and are not some matter of opinion at all, as if God simply preferred one type of pizza to the way we liked it, it's not a matter of taste or inconsequential preference, but a matter of pain and causing pain and hatred.
Maybe your masters know

Las Vegas, NV

#11 Nov 14, 2013
On top of that this particular book though has been horribly butchered by your masters and the people.

For instance, no one was ever killed by the law for being raped, they changed that into whatever they wished, it was not a rape but adultery in that one verse, they changed adultery into rape and made everyone think that it says that if someone gets raped they should be punished.

This is complete bullshit by they way that people would do this.
Maybe your masters know

Las Vegas, NV

#12 Nov 14, 2013
And "rebelliousness" means something else entirely than what you are making it seem by the way.

As if it was talking about a kid who doesn't want to eat his broccoli, oh no, the rebellious kids it was talking about were so much worse than that, they were murderers and set buildings on fire and who the hell knows what else.

I mean these are the kids that will torture animals or get you locked up with a lie because they want to stay up all night you know.

"Rebelliousness", we are talking some seriously cruel shit here, not not wanting to eat broccoli at all.

You my friend are a liar, and you havent studied a damn thing, not to mention you were always studied shall we say the "modified" version that human beings just invented.

And now for the big one, the big big one, there was never a "hell" in this book at all, there is the "grave" and there is judgement, neither one of these are eternal at all and judgement is for a purpose only.

See, thats easy, "death" and judgement, neither eternal and God "will save all of mankind", that was his plan the whole time, and judgement is and was never to harm us but to "turn the water into wine", it has a purpose.

Who knew he actually loved us right?
furthermore

Las Vegas, NV

#13 Nov 14, 2013
And the punishment for the leavened bread thing seems to not be a death sentence but to be cut off from the congregation, group, or peoples.

Sent away.

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#14 Nov 14, 2013
Maybe your masters know wrote:
And "rebelliousness" means something else entirely than what you are making it seem by the way.
As if it was talking about a kid who doesn't want to eat his broccoli, oh no, the rebellious kids it was talking about were so much worse than that, they were murderers and set buildings on fire and who the hell knows what else.
I mean these are the kids that will torture animals or get you locked up with a lie because they want to stay up all night you know.
"Rebelliousness", we are talking some seriously cruel shit here, not not wanting to eat broccoli at all.
You my friend are a liar, and you havent studied a damn thing, not to mention you were always studied shall we say the "modified" version that human beings just invented.
And now for the big one, the big big one, there was never a "hell" in this book at all, there is the "grave" and there is judgement, neither one of these are eternal at all and judgement is for a purpose only.
See, thats easy, "death" and judgement, neither eternal and God "will save all of mankind", that was his plan the whole time, and judgement is and was never to harm us but to "turn the water into wine", it has a purpose.
Who knew he actually loved us right?
I read the new testament at least ten times with concordances close by to further explain preacher's and clergy's views.

There's one simple verse that makes the bible a load of bullshit:

Revelation 21

8 "But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death."

When a man tries to sell me something that automatically condemns every human to burning eternal hell fire because they believe something besides what one fraction of the total believes is so ridiculous that it becomes hilarious when someone thinks deeply about it.
Patriot

Longmont, CO

#15 Nov 14, 2013
"Study to shew thyself approved unto GOD, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing The Word of Truth."

http://biblehub.com/2_timothy/2-15.htm

What Happens At Death?

http://www.truth-about-hell.com/page4.htm

----

What Will Happen To The Wicked
In Hellfire - Is There An Eternal Hell?

http://www.preparingforeternity.com/hellfire....

----

Did the Apostles Abandon The Sabbath And Keep Sunday Instead To Honor The Resurrection?

http://biblelight.net/firstday.htm

----

To Tithe Or Not To Tithe

http://www.prophetic.net/tithe.htm

----

What about Romans 13?

http://romans13.embassyofheaven.com/

http://romans13.embassyofheaven.com/2minute.p...

----

GOD Describes His people -

http://biblehub.com/kjv/revelation/12.htm Note vs 17

http://biblehub.com/kjv/revelation/14.htm Note vs 12

"Press on (Strive) to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which GOD, through Christ Jesus, is calling us." Note vs 12-14 http://biblehub.com/nlt/philippians/3.htm
Patriot

Longmont, CO

#16 Nov 14, 2013
"You have no obligation to do what your sinful nature urges you to do. For if you live by its dictates, you will die. But if through the power of the Spirit you put to death the deeds of your sinful nature, you will live. For all who are led by the Spirit of GOD are children of GOD." http://biblehub.com/nlt/romans/8.htm

History reveals that the advancement of Truth comes at a high price, and a majority of people are unwilling to pay the price. It is much more comfortable to remain within the social and religious comforts of fellowship than to follow the Spirit into the desert of rejection where often, you are alone with GOD. The Bible represents people as sheep for good reason. They prefer to flock together. They also tend to follow their leaders (political and religious) without thinking or thoroughly studying matters for themselves. Consider the total sum of religious thought that Hindus, Moslems, Catholics, Jews, Protestants, atheists and pagans believe today. All of these different ideas about GOD came from spiritual leaders who are as blind as the lay people they guide.(Matthew 23:16)

Humanity’s diversity in religious beliefs proves that people are capable of believing anything and everything. Our diversity also proves that our belief systems have nothing to do with Eternal Truth. Even though Catholics and Protestants insist their views come directly from Scripture, a cursory review of Scripture can demonstrate otherwise. Truth is not determined by a majority vote or acceptance. Thoughtfully consider these words: "Truth is not what I believe. Truth is not even what I know. Truth is fact. I may not believe it. I may not know it. That does not change it. It is there nevertheless, waiting to be discovered and believed. Truth does not depend on the unsettled and changing opinions of men. It was truth before it was believed. It remains truth whether it is believed or not. Reason does not originate or create it. It merely discovers it. Consequently, reason is not a source. Truth goes back beyond reason. Others would have us believe that the church is the source of authority, particularly in matters of theology. They are wrong. The church is the product of Truth. It does not originate it. It came into being by accepting Divine Revelation. It is not the source of that revelation. Truth goes beyond the church, it is antecedent to it."
(When a Man Dies, Carlyle B. Haynes (1882-1958); p.5)

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#17 Nov 14, 2013
Patriot wrote:
"You have no obligation to do what your sinful nature urges you to do. For if you live by its dictates, you will die. But if through the power of the Spirit you put to death the deeds of your sinful nature, you will live. For all who are led by the Spirit of GOD are children of GOD." http://biblehub.com/nlt/romans/8.htm
History reveals that the advancement of Truth comes at a high price, and a majority of people are unwilling to pay the price. It is much more comfortable to remain within the social and religious comforts of fellowship than to follow the Spirit into the desert of rejection where often, you are alone with GOD. The Bible represents people as sheep for good reason. They prefer to flock together. They also tend to follow their leaders (political and religious) without thinking or thoroughly studying matters for themselves. Consider the total sum of religious thought that Hindus, Moslems, Catholics, Jews, Protestants, atheists and pagans believe today. All of these different ideas about GOD came from spiritual leaders who are as blind as the lay people they guide.(Matthew 23:16)
Humanity’s diversity in religious beliefs proves that people are capable of believing anything and everything. Our diversity also proves that our belief systems have nothing to do with Eternal Truth. Even though Catholics and Protestants insist their views come directly from Scripture, a cursory review of Scripture can demonstrate otherwise. Truth is not determined by a majority vote or acceptance. Thoughtfully consider these words: "Truth is not what I believe. Truth is not even what I know. Truth is fact. I may not believe it. I may not know it. That does not change it. It is there nevertheless, waiting to be discovered and believed. Truth does not depend on the unsettled and changing opinions of men. It was truth before it was believed. It remains truth whether it is believed or not. Reason does not originate or create it. It merely discovers it. Consequently, reason is not a source. Truth goes back beyond reason. Others would have us believe that the church is the source of authority, particularly in matters of theology. They are wrong. The church is the product of Truth. It does not originate it. It came into being by accepting Divine Revelation. It is not the source of that revelation. Truth goes beyond the church, it is antecedent to it."
(When a Man Dies, Carlyle B. Haynes (1882-1958); p.5)
There's some hope:

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/10/09/surv...

By Dan Merica, CNN

Washington (CNN)– The fastest growing "religious" group in America is made up of people with no religion at all, according to a Pew survey showing that one in five Americans is not affiliated with any religion.

The number of these Americans has grown by 25% just in the past five years, according to a survey released Tuesday by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life.

The survey found that the ranks of the unaffiliated are growing even faster among younger Americans.

Thirty-three million Americans now have no religious affiliation, with 13 million in that group identifying as either atheist or agnostic, according to the new survey.

Pew found that those who are religiously unaffiliated are strikingly less religious than the public at large. They attend church infrequently, if at all, are largely not seeking out religion and say that the lack of it in their lives is of little importance.
Patriot

Longmont, CO

#18 Nov 14, 2013
'Court rules atheism a religion'- it's a belief system with followers.

http://www.wnd.com/2005/08/31895/
Old GT

Carmel, IN

#19 Nov 14, 2013
Angel9999 wrote:
<quoted text>
The bible was written by half wits who believed in witches and thought the earth was flat. If one looks at these death penalty sins from the old testament they have to know something ain't right:
There are forty-two death-penalty sins in the Old Testament.
•Murder - Gen. 9:6; Ex. 21:12-14,20,23; Lev. 24:17,21; Num. 35:16-34; Deut. 19.
•Failing to circumcise - Gen. 17:14; Ex. 4:24,25.
•Eating leavened bread during feast of unleavened bread - Ex.
•2:15,19.
•Smiting Parents- Ex. 21:15.
•Kidnapping - Ex. 21:16; Deut. 24:7.
•Cursing Parents - Ex. 21:17; Lev. 20:9.
•Negligence with animals that kill - Ex. 21:28-32.
•Witchcraft - Ex. 22:18.
•Bestiality - Ex. 22:19; Lev. 18:23-29; 20:15,16.
•Idolatry - Ex. 22:20.
•Making holy anointing oil - Ex. 30:33.
•Putting holy anointing oil on strangers - Ex. 30:33.
•Making the holy perfume - Ex. 30:38.
•Defiling the Sabbath - Ex. 31:14.
•Working on the Sabbath - Ex. 35:2.
•Eating the flesh of the peace offerings in
•uncleanness - Lev. 7:20,21.
•Eating the fat of sacrifices - Lev. 7:25.
•Killing sacrifices other than at the door of the tabernacle - Lev. 17:1-9.
•Eating blood - Lev. 17:10-14.
•Incest - Lev. 18:6-29; 20:11-22.
•Eating sacrifices at the wrong time - Lev. 19:5-8.
•Consecration of children to idols - Lev. 20:1-5.
•Spiritualism - Lev. 20:6,27.
•Adultery - Lev. 20:10; Deut. 22:22-30.
•Sodomy/Homosexuality - Lev. 20:13.
•Relationship with a menstruous woman - Lev. 20:18.
•Whoredom - Lev. 21:9; Deut. 22:21,22.
•Sacrilege - Lev. 22:3.
•Refusing to fast on day of atonement - Lev. 23:29.
•Working on atonement - Lev. 23:30.
•Blasphemy - Lev. 24:11-16.
•Failure to keep the Passover - Num. 9:13.
•Presumptuous - Num. 15:30,31.
•Gathering firewood on the Sabbath - Num. 15:32,36.
•Failure to purify self before worship - Num. 19:13,20.
•False prophecy - Deut. 13:1-18; 18:20.
•Leading men away from God - Deut. 13:6-18.
•Stubbornness and rebelliousness - Deut. 21:18-23.
•Gluttony - Deut. 21:20-23.
•Drunkenness - Deut. 21:20-23.
•Backbiting - Deut. 17:2-7.
•False dreams and visions - Deut. 13:1-18.
Where does the Bible say the Earth is flat?
God made a very strict nation among a wicked world as a vineyard to bring the Messiah. All the laws you site here were for that purpose. Once it was accomplished, these laws were ended.
You can't criticize something just because you don't understand it when the information is available.
Punisher

Tuckahoe, NY

#22 Nov 14, 2013
QUITTNER wrote:
12:56 pm, Sunday, November 3, 2013:
RE: The Way Angel9999 Reads The Scriptures..........
..... As I keep repeating, per definition only those are Christians who follow a Christ's lifestyle and only his teachings. None of the many that were invented after Jesus had been crucified by the Romans.
Yeah you do keep repeating this...but never answer any direct Q's!

What does this Christ-lifestyle look like? Itinerant meandering from town to town preaching? Does it end in a tortured death scene?

Be precise in your explanation (if you finally do) because for 2K years there's been a hell of a lot opinions on it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Early Christianity 18 min Big Al 1,789
The False Teachings of the Hebrew Israelites, s... (Jan '14) 31 min truth 693
Longinus Chronicles - Fighting for Christ 44 min Big Al 44
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) 1 hr Big Al 84,649
Barnsweb's own NT calls him "ignorant" "untaugh... 2 hr Barmsweb 86
Faith during hard times 3 hr ROG 12
Is it a sin to show your bare body to the world? (Oct '09) 15 hr P0D has returned 32
More from around the web