Is it wrong for Christians to drink liquor?

Posted in the Christian Forum

Comments
1 - 20 of 58 Comments Last updated Sep 11, 2013
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Ant

Palo Alto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Judged:

Is saw this on another forum so I will copy this here.

The last time I checked the bible said it is a sin to get drunk, not a sin to have a drink. So why the big fuss when some people see a Christian having a drink.

I heard on the radio the other night a question posed, what would you say if you saw the leaders of your church at the store with a bunch of liquor in their shopping cart and I was thinking whats the big deal, but so many people called in and said pray for them and started quoting all these scriptures, with zero info if all that liquor was for them or 50-100 people at a party.

Another example when when I went out to eat after church with some of the leaders and other youth at a restaurant after church in my early 20's and was about to order a mudslide, and all the side eyes I got and ooooh, your not supposed to drink on a Sunday, or other comments about having a drink on a Sunday.

I myself dont really like liquor so if I do drink, its a drink or maybe 2 tops and I call it a day so I don't get tipsy since I dont drink alot and probably have a low tolerance for it. I know some Christians that do drink and do it with the sole purpose of getting a buzz or getting drunk and see nothing wrong with it.

So is it wrong for a Christian to have a occasional drink if they are not doing it to get drunk?

If Jesus drank wine with a passover meal, is it wrong for others to drink wine with a meal, assuming they don't go overboard?

Is it wrong to drink on Sundays vs any other day of the week?
Disciple

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Nope as long as they are not getting drunk.

“Only Biblical methods will”

Since: Apr 10

bring others to Christ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Jesus changed water to wine, and He would not have done so if it had been a sin to drink. The sin of drinking, as stated in the Bible, is to drink in excess.

Those who say it is a sin to drink claim when the Bible refers to wine and Jesus, the Bible means diluted grape juice.

God bless you and yours.
Johnny Trunk

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Ant wrote:
Is saw this on another forum so I will copy this here.
The last time I checked the bible said it is a sin to get drunk, not a sin to have a drink. So why the big fuss when some people see a Christian having a drink.
I heard on the radio the other night a question posed, what would you say if you saw the leaders of your church at the store with a bunch of liquor in their shopping cart and I was thinking whats the big deal, but so many people called in and said pray for them and started quoting all these scriptures, with zero info if all that liquor was for them or 50-100 people at a party.
Another example when when I went out to eat after church with some of the leaders and other youth at a restaurant after church in my early 20's and was about to order a mudslide, and all the side eyes I got and ooooh, your not supposed to drink on a Sunday, or other comments about having a drink on a Sunday.
I myself dont really like liquor so if I do drink, its a drink or maybe 2 tops and I call it a day so I don't get tipsy since I dont drink alot and probably have a low tolerance for it. I know some Christians that do drink and do it with the sole purpose of getting a buzz or getting drunk and see nothing wrong with it.
So is it wrong for a Christian to have a occasional drink if they are not doing it to get drunk?
If Jesus drank wine with a passover meal, is it wrong for others to drink wine with a meal, assuming they don't go overboard?
Is it wrong to drink on Sundays vs any other day of the week?
its ok to drink just don`t over do it.
Tall Guy

Kennesaw, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

The folks questioning the liquor in the cart more than likely has there own issues in life as well.

SO a drink wont hurt anyone

“"God is Good"”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Judged:

It is my belief as a Christian to drink would be sin.
little lamb

Melbourne, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Judged:

Seriously__ wrote:
Jesus changed water to wine, and He would not have done so if it had been a sin to drink. The sin of drinking, as stated in the Bible, is to drink in excess.
Those who say it is a sin to drink claim when the Bible refers to wine and Jesus, the Bible means diluted grape juice.
God bless you and yours.
Agree...Jesus told his disciples he would not drink wine again with them until in the Kingdom of God..

Its drunkenness that is a sin....
QUITTNER

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

2:32 am, Sunday, August 25, 2913:
RE: Is it wrong for Christians to drink liquor?
..... It is wrong to do anything that will get you addicted to anything, and it is also wrong to do anything that will make you lose control over your own activities.

“Jesus loves you all!”

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2013

Judged:

I think it's a personal choice considering everyone who is saved is at different levels of spiritual maturity. I don't condone drinking liquor for me personally because it defiles the temple.
Tall Guy

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2013

Judged:

Phoenix Ascended wrote:
I think it's a personal choice considering everyone who is saved is at different levels of spiritual maturity. I don't condone drinking liquor for me personally because it defiles the temple.
I agree that drinking liquor often will defile the temple as it will mess up your liver. But as far as our bodies being temple, we need to apply it across the board and not eat extra crispy and fattening foods that are bad for our health and half the rubbish junk food we eat that is tearing our bodies up too.

But like any thin else, moderation is the key. As a Christian liquor (heavy liquor especially) shouldnt be on your menu always. A little wine with your meal wont hurt, but a big gulp 32ox cup of wine will.

“Jesus loves you all!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2013

Tall Guy wrote:
<quoted text>I agree that drinking liquor often will defile the temple as it will mess up your liver. But as far as our bodies being temple, we need to apply it across the board and not eat extra crispy and fattening foods that are bad for our health and half the rubbish junk food we eat that is tearing our bodies up too.

But like any thin else, moderation is the key. As a Christian liquor (heavy liquor especially) shouldnt be on your menu always. A little wine with your meal wont hurt, but a big gulp 32ox cup of wine will.
Great post!

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2013

Judged:

Jake Troth wrote:
<quoted text>Actually, it is wine, but unfermented wine or nonalcoholic. You can buy unfermented wine and unfermented beer. So, Jesus did not turn water into alcohol. In fact, it would have been stupid, since alcohol does not quemch thirst.
You're just making shít up.

God bless you.

bring others to Christ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2013

Judged:

Jake Troth wrote:
<quoted text>I disagreement to the specific point. Eating fattening food is not the same as smoking crack or drinking alcohol. Liquor should never be on our menu, period. It is not about moderation. People drink wine or heavy liquor for the alcohol buzz. If not, they would drink non-alcoholic wine, margaritas, beer,etc. They want the high which is not obtained by eating fatty foods. There are certain foods that the Bible tells us not to eat and the Bible also tells us not to drink alcoholic drinks.
Many people drink wine for it's health benefits and never drink to receive a buzz. You apparently do not know any of them, but that does not mean they do not exist. I know many who drink one glass of wine, over an hour or two, now and then.

Fatty foods are called "comfort foods" because they do in fact exert a biological effect on your body that affects your mental state. Quite a few people eat solely to reduce their stress levels or to calm themselves. This is one of many reasons we have such high obesity in the USA. Many people are abusing food instead of drugs.....some are abusing both. Yes, I know not all obesity is due to food abuse; some is medical, some is genetic, etc...... I am only referring to those who are obese due to food abuse.

If the Bible uses the term wine to mean juice, "non-fermented wine" is fruit/veggie juice, then any verse that refers to wine is referring to juice. Wine is made by starting with juice, adding yeast which ferments it, then after a time you have wine. Ephesians 5:18 - And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit... This does not make sense since one does not get drunk on fruit/veggie juice. Proverbs 20:1 Wine is a mocker....so juice is a mocker? This logic simply does not pan out.

Have a great day.
Tall Guy

Alpharetta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2013

Judged:

Jake Troth wrote:
<quoted text>I disagreement to the specific point. Eating fattening food is not the same as smoking crack or drinking alcohol. Liquor should never be on our menu, period. It is not about moderation. People drink wine or heavy liquor for the alcohol buzz. If not, they would drink non-alcoholic wine, margaritas, beer,etc. They want the high which is not obtained by eating fatty foods. There are certain foods that the Bible tells us not to eat and the Bible also tells us not to drink alcoholic drinks.
There is no where in the bible that says it is a sin to Drink. It is a sin to get drunk. They drank wine and Jesus turned water into wine, and im pretty sure he had some, but did not get drunk. but you are right alot of people drink to get drunk, but if you are not getting drunk off a single drink, thee is nothing wrong with that

“Jesus loves you all!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2013

Judged:

Jake Troth wrote:
<quoted text>I disagree. Sin also is a personal choice and so is going to hell. A person's level of spiritual maturity does not change sin. For instance, fornication is a sin and does not change due to one's weakness of flesh. How about a little crack now and then, which would be crack cocaine done in moderation based on a person's level of spiritual maturity. Do you see the point?
I know is sin is sin, sir. I don't believe drinking alcoholic beverage is a sin.

bring others to Christ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2013

Judged:

Jake Troth wrote:
<quoted text>You do not know what I know. I know many people that make that claim. However, there is no health benefit in alcohol and that means they drink it for the buzz. What does not pan out is your understanding. Who said that wine was fruit juice? I did not. What do you call non-alcoholic margaritas and beer? They are not fruit juice.
Clearly, the Bible distinguishes from the two, when it says strong wine and become drunk from wine. It is like tea, it can be hot tea or cold tea. If the Bible says "do not burn your lips with tea" is it talking about hot or cold tea? You are so smart, but daily prove your ignorance.
May God give you His logic and remove yours.
Non-alcholoic beer and margaritas are not fruit juice because they do not have juice as their starter. Non-alcoholic wine is fruit and/or veggie juice because juice is the starter for all wines I am aware of. Look up how to make to wine. You start with fruit and/or veggie juice (or fruit/veggies in water to make the juice), add yeast to ferment it, then it becomes wine. If you do not ferment it, it remains fruit and/or veggie juice.

Proverbs 20:1 - Wine [is] a mocker, strong drink [is] raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise. This verse shows that wine and strong drink are not the same thing. Biblically, wine is not referred to as strong drink. Wine is fermented juice, strong drink is liquor, and juice is juice. You need not agree with me, and I cannot agree with you. If you wish to abstain from all alcohol, nothing bad will come from that.

What verse discusses strong wine vs wine? Have a nice day.

bring others to Christ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2013

Jake Troth wrote:
<quoted text>MOST MARGARITAS have fruit as their starter, so stop lying. Proverbs 20:1 shows that God is talking about alcoholic drinks. Vodka is not made from wine, so it is a strong drink. Do you think God was calling juice a mocker. Grow up. Not all wine is fermented. Wine and even champagne can be non-alcholic. Go to a store and you will learn something. Wine is not fermented juice. try to make wine out of apples and oranges. If you ferment apples it becomes cider and if you ferment oranges it just becomes nasty. Try the same with strawberries and cherries, juices, but never wine.
I can disagree with, I posted all what God says. If you wish to indulge in alcohol and drunkenness much bad will come from that.
I posted all the verse, read them and then come back.
It is clear that you like the alcoholic state of drunkenness. You probably stay home when you drink, so you think it is okay. Does it make you sleepy and put you to sleep?
God bless you.
If you wish to continue to believe that un-fermented wine is not juice, you will continue to do so. If you are paying a lot of money for non-alcoholic wine, I cannot help there. Juice is cheaper, it is just a bit less diluted hence more sugar in it usually.

I just like to post facts that refute odd opinions so that those who wish to, can do the google search and discover the truth for themselves. Jesus turned water into wine. If drinking had been sinful, He would not have done so. If all drinking was prohibited, the bible would not state drunkenness is prohibited, it would state do not drink alcohol at all.

Anyone who cannot control their consumption of alcohol should refrain completely. If one can drink without drunkeness, there is no Biblical mandate against drinking so long as you do not become drunk. Since we do not know what biblically defined drunk, it is best to not even get tipsy. Being tipsy is being impaired, which is never a good idea.

I have never been impacted by an individual who could not control their consumption, so this is not a touchy subject for me. This may be a hot button topic for some who were/are affected by an individual who could not control their drinking.

Have a nice day.

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2013

Judged:

Jake Troth wrote:
<quoted text>You are just using profanity and speaking with an evil tongue. Now, go give the Pope 10 hell Mary's.
God bless you.
You had the opportunity to show us you're not just making shít up but instead you attacked me personally. I guess I was right.

Something like 'Both the Codex Sinaiticus and the Codex Brezae say Jesus turned water into grape juice'. The reason you can't do anything like that is because.....well, you know why.

God bless you.

Tell me. Why did you change your name? Are you afraid to own your comments?

bring others to Christ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2013

I pop in from the family BBQ/swimfest to read for responses and another ID is banned. It is very sad that a few on here must go through an ID or more a day because of their lack of self control and personal responsibility.

Self control and personal responsibility are critical to a Christian walk. IMO, lacking either one or both a person leaves a person stunted spiritually. Usually these people are stunted emotionally as well, but that is not quite as relevant on a Christian board.

God bless and/or have a great rest the day!
Trust in Jesus

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

Judged:

Seriously__ wrote:
I pop in from the family BBQ/swimfest to read for responses and another ID is banned. It is very sad that a few on here must go through an ID or more a day because of their lack of self control and personal responsibility.
Self control and personal responsibility are critical to a Christian walk. IMO, lacking either one or both a person leaves a person stunted spiritually. Usually these people are stunted emotionally as well, but that is not quite as relevant on a Christian board.
God bless and/or have a great rest the day!
Then I guess that you must blame Jesus, since the world banned him and crucified him. So, what do you think Jesus did wrong to be rejected from the world. Exactly what was in the posts of Jake Troth that caused him to be banned? Truth. The posts are still there, please do tell us. If you can not, then tell us what did Jesus do to get himself crucified? Did Jesus lack self control, not have personal responsibility, and do you think it stunted his Him spiritually? Do you also think that Jesus was stunted emotionally as well? You know, Jesus you did not drink alcohol. Now, I think that a person whoio drinks alcohol is stunted emotionally, has a hole they are trying to fill with alcohol. They usually do not take personal responsibility for their alcohol drinking and seek excuses as to why they do it. Now, unless the person comes to Topix drunk, it might not have much relevance to their posting on a message board.

God Bless you and yours.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

46 Users are viewing the Christian Forum right now

Search the Christian Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
I am him 5 min jesus 27
Cookie's Place (Oct '13) 6 min Sundog512 11,644
A Message from Nettie 15 min Seriously__ 1,193
Satan in my Dream 32 min howstupidareyou 22
Is the Bible always literally true or correct? 34 min howstupidareyou 1,428
BIBLE CONTRADICTION: Mark 4:11-12, 2 Peter 3:9 50 min howstupidareyou 28
Stevi Levi's Loony Lying Lair 1 hr Weepy 4
Islam vs Christian heaven 1 hr howstupidareyou 48
WHAT GOD SAID to ME TODAY 1 hr howstupidareyou 276