how do creationists explain light years?

how do creationists explain light years?

Posted in the Christian Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#1 Feb 26, 2007
If the universe is only 6,000-10,000 years old, then how is it possible for us to see the light coming from stars that are over 10,000 light years away?

“yummy!!”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#2 Feb 26, 2007
www.christiananswers.net/q-aig/aig-c005html

There are some theories here.

“yummy!!”

Location hidden

#3 Feb 26, 2007
Sorry I dont think that link is going to work.But if you google light years and creationists you might find the site.

Edmonton, Canada

#4 Feb 26, 2007
I would like to comment on this from Islamic perspective. Quran has the following two verses:

"The angels and the Spirit ascend unto Him in a Day the measure whereof is (as) fifty thousand years" (70:4)

"Yet they ask thee to hasten on the Punishment! But Allah will not fail in His Promise. Verily a Day in the sight of thy Lord is like a thousand years of your reckoning" (22:47)

Using special theory of relativity equation and the first verse, the speed of angels is almost equal to the speed of light. This is normal as Angels are created from light. I will now compute in light years since they travel at speed of light.

Second verse says that one day (God's time) is equivalent to 1000 years (earth time).

1 day (God)= 1000 years (earth)

First verse says that angels travel from earth back to God in one day that is equivalent to 50000 years in God's time also.

1 day (God)= 50000 years (God)

So 50000 years (God)= 365x50000 days (God)= 365x50000x1000 years (earth)

The above multiplication yields 18.25 billion years or light years (angels travel at speed of light)

This agrees to some degree with the current scientifically estimated age of universe.

So the universe existed far before Adam (pbuh) was created.

CBR

Gladewater, TX

#5 Feb 26, 2007
I think creationists explain that all of creation was created at the same time, no matter the positioning of the matter being created. So a star 100,000 light years from Earth was created at the same time Earth was.

I have to say, as a Christian, the 6000 year hypothesis has often boggled me too.

If a day with God is like a 1000 years...then 365 days (1 year) would be like 365,000 years to man.

If 1 year with God is 365,000 man years and Creation is supposed to be 6000 years old then 356,000 x 6000 = 2,190,000,000 man years.

Whatever the number is, seems to me, to be irrelevant. Why? Because I'm sitting here writing this right now knowing that Dino bones exist just as much as I do. Explaining existence might be hard, but I do know I exist. Sound theories about how it all began is interesting to discuss but, more interestingly, is how we are convinced. I think the soundest theory would be the theory of "first beginnings". In other words, if the "Big Bang" started from a speck the size of this (.), then where did that speck come from? What created it? If someone were to keep going farther, and farther back beyond the (.), then what would they find?

That might explain the "Bigness" of things, but we can also look at the "smallness" of things too.

What about the smaller things that make up the smallest of things? How small can one go, and if we were to find the smallest of the small, where would it come from?

Interesting to speculate about huh?
jim

Columbus, OH

#6 Feb 26, 2007
God is an infinite creator.Before the earth was created,the light from other stars would have been visible.(if God made it visible).With God's infinite power I think his creations are endless(multiple).So I believe there were other planets,stars etc. before Earth.
jim

Columbus, OH

#7 Feb 26, 2007
GOD is infinate.GOD is an infinate creator.I believe that GOD created all the stars,planets,people,creatures etc.Many of which we probably can't see with our best telescopes.I believe there were many planets,stars,people, creatures(if GOD wanted creatures,people on them)before Earth was created.So,the light from these stars would have been present before Earth(if GOD let it be so)

Edmonton, Canada

#8 Feb 26, 2007
CBR wrote:
I think creationists explain that all of creation was created at the same time, no matter the positioning of the matter being created. So a star 100,000 light years from Earth was created at the same time Earth was.
I have to say, as a Christian, the 6000 year hypothesis has often boggled me too.
If a day with God is like a 1000 years...then 365 days (1 year) would be like 365,000 years to man.
If 1 year with God is 365,000 man years and Creation is supposed to be 6000 years old then 356,000 x 6000 = 2,190,000,000 man years.
Whatever the number is, seems to me, to be irrelevant. Why? Because I'm sitting here writing this right now knowing that Dino bones exist just as much as I do. Explaining existence might be hard, but I do know I exist. Sound theories about how it all began is interesting to discuss but, more interestingly, is how we are convinced. I think the soundest theory would be the theory of "first beginnings". In other words, if the "Big Bang" started from a speck the size of this (.), then where did that speck come from? What created it? If someone were to keep going farther, and farther back beyond the (.), then what would they find?
That might explain the "Bigness" of things, but we can also look at the "smallness" of things too.
What about the smaller things that make up the smallest of things? How small can one go, and if we were to find the smallest of the small, where would it come from?
Interesting to speculate about huh?
rethinking my earlier post ..... it does not necessarily indicate the age of universe. it is more suitable to indicate the size of the universe because it talks about the angels traveling from earth to God at the speed of light in a certain period of time.

this is like when i tell you that i am driving from here to there in 1 hour at a speed of 60 km/hour. this means the distance between here and there is 60 km.

i will search again for verses from Quran that talks about age of universe or earth.

Edmonton, Canada

#9 Feb 26, 2007
again rethinking ........ i do not think it is a measure of the size of universe

Quran says

"And it is We who have constructed the heaven with might, and verily, it is We who are steadily expanding it"

so according to Quran the universe is expanding. so the numbers in the earlier verses should also change if they talk about size of universe.

Edmonton, Canada

#10 Feb 26, 2007
i found a better argument for the age of earth

Quran says:

"It is Allah Who has created the heavens and the earth, and all between them, in six Days, and is firmly established on the Throne (of Authority): ye have none, besides Him, to protect or intercede (for you): will ye not then receive admonition?" (32:4)

"Say: Is it that ye deny Him Who created the earth in two Days? And do ye join equals with Him? He is the Lord of (all) the Worlds." (41:9)

so the age of earth is one third the age of universe (2 days out of 6 days). or the age of universe is three times the age of earth

the age of earth is 4.5 billion years
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_the_Earth

so the age of universe is 3x4.5 = 13.5 billion years

the age of universe scientifically is 13.7 billion years
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_the_unive...

so i guess after creating heavens and everything but earth, God then created earth and then placed humanity on it.

because for the ratio to be one third the creation of earth in two days must be during the last two days of the six days.

Location hidden

#11 Feb 27, 2007
Then from whats been said thus far. the "young earth" theory is flawed?

because if it were true than The measurement of the speed of light would have to be thousands of times faster than what it currently is.

Its simply impossible for a planet supposedly 15,000 lightyears away to be seen. simply because 1 light year = 1 of our years in which it takes light to travel. which is saying... this planet was here before the creation of the universe.

so either the young earth theory is wrong.. or the way we measure how fast light travels must be.

except.. weave already proven how fast light travels.. so? what does that tell you?

“yummy!!”

Location hidden

#12 Feb 27, 2007
moofactory wrote:
Then from whats been said thus far. the "young earth" theory is flawed?
because if it were true than The measurement of the speed of light would have to be thousands of times faster than what it currently is.
Its simply impossible for a planet supposedly 15,000 lightyears away to be seen. simply because 1 light year = 1 of our years in which it takes light to travel. which is saying... this planet was here before the creation of the universe.
so either the young earth theory is wrong.. or the way we measure how fast light travels must be.
except.. weave already proven how fast light travels.. so? what does that tell you?
Well I have read that the universe is expanding and so is bigger than it was but I don't know if that is relevant:)

Edmonton, Canada

#13 Feb 27, 2007
annab3lla wrote:
<quoted text>Well I have read that the universe is expanding and so is bigger than it was but I don't know if that is relevant:)
according to Quran, universe is 13.5 billion years old which agrees with the scientifically measured 13.7 billion years.

i guess from my point of view as muslim earth is not 6000-10000 years old

Location hidden

#14 Feb 28, 2007
annab3lla wrote:
<quoted text>Well I have read that the universe is expanding and so is bigger than it was but I don't know if that is relevant:)
only if it was expanding at the speed of light.

if you were to measure how fast our solar system is moving away from another in one decade I think you would find that it is almost irrelevant due to not moving much at all in the last 10 thousand years.

for example.. for your statement to debunk what I said.. a planet thats 12 thousand light years away would have to be moving away at the speed of light for that planet to be claimed to be created only 6 thousand years ago.

I dont think planets move away from the center of the universe that fast..

which would particularly show to the naked eye if as creationists claim that earth is in the center of the universe... we would be able to record that planets are moving farther and farther away from us.. but they dont.

“1=.99p”

Montréal, Canada

#15 Apr 18, 2007
moofactory wrote:
If the universe is only 6,000-10,000 years old, then how is it possible for us to see the light coming from stars that are over 10,000 light years away?
I've read a thing about creationnist & if I remember correctly, in their view, when the universe was made the light was reaching us. Kindof 'god made it so it was already reaching here when everything was created'
Skeptic

UK

#16 Apr 19, 2007
basically, trust the scientists and ignore everything else.

When was the last time you saw a church conducting detailed experiments and doing insanely difficult calculations?

“1=.99p”

Montréal, Canada

#17 Apr 19, 2007
Skeptic wrote:
basically, trust the scientists and ignore everything else.
That would be extreme :P I would say 'accept all the what ifs as alternatives', after all, every theory is an alternative, even if it is 'god put people in there because he/she/it was bored'. There's no correct answer so any can be partially good.
AJ - Cleveland

Ridgefield, CT

#18 Apr 20, 2007
Two possible ways: First, the light between those distant objects and us was created at the same time as everything else. Second, it has been proven that early measurements of the speed of light showed a much higher speed. Maybe at creation, the speed of light was much greater.
TheBaron

UK

#19 Apr 23, 2007
Because light years is a measure of DISTANCE, not TIME
and, thats it. simple.
Caboose

Sunderland, UK

#20 Apr 23, 2007
Well done baron, show the rest of these tits how its done..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
failed prophecies 14 min Blacklagoon 745
Forum has gone to the dogs 1 hr ROG IS FAKE 145
What God Said About Barnsweb: 1 hr ROG IS FAKE 53
Early Christianity 1 hr ROG IS FAKE 1,349
Is there any evidence Apostles Peter and Paul b... 1 hr ROG IS FAKE 143
Dan Snow and It is i bible class 1 hr ROG IS FAKE 23
Bible says Satan will be Destroyed, Not Live Fo... (Apr '10) 1 hr ROG IS FAKE 756
More from around the web