winos: problem lingo
Abishai100

Clementon, NJ

#1 Jan 18, 2013
Homelessness and depression are related to poverty and economic mismanagement and has plagued societies and cultures all over the world as the free market took shape.

Because of the global nature of such suffering, colloquialized terms have been invented to refer to the poor and emotionally struggling: deadbeats, bums, hobos, wretches, and winos.

"Wino" is a particularly difficult term to accept since the world itself refers to a depressed or impoverished drunkard (i.e., he who ingests wine unwisely). Because the consumption of alcohol or mind-numbing drugs are difficult to avoid by the impoverished and the depressed, it is both convenient and embarrassing to refer to such drunkards with the term "wino."

Nevertheless the psychological nature of the depression-themed linguistic term "wino" continues to reflect socially the spiritual marketability of welfare-themed Hollywood (USA) movies such as "Drunks" (1995).

Are they printing movie posters on hemp/recycled paper yet?

God bless!
Darius

Long Beach, CA

#2 Jan 18, 2013
Abishai100 wrote:
Homelessness and depression are related to poverty and economic mismanagement and has plagued societies and cultures all over the world as the free market took shape.
Because of the global nature of such suffering, colloquialized terms have been invented to refer to the poor and emotionally struggling: deadbeats, bums, hobos, wretches, and winos.
"Wino" is a particularly difficult term to accept since the world itself refers to a depressed or impoverished drunkard (i.e., he who ingests wine unwisely). Because the consumption of alcohol or mind-numbing drugs are difficult to avoid by the impoverished and the depressed, it is both convenient and embarrassing to refer to such drunkards with the term "wino."
Nevertheless the psychological nature of the depression-themed linguistic term "wino" continues to reflect socially the spiritual marketability of welfare-themed Hollywood (USA) movies such as "Drunks" (1995).
Are they printing movie posters on hemp/recycled paper yet?
God bless!
The other day as I was walking into the liquor store, one of 'em said to me, buddy, can you spare a buck? I said sure, can you wait until I go hunting again?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evidence Against God 39 min Big Al 703
Nutter alert - headteacher claims Evolution is ... 53 min Sceptical_Mal 79
jesus help me moses help me god help me please 2 hr Lover of God 1
A look at your future in our Godless legal system 4 hr Hardcore 88
Poll The Greatest Threat to America's Security 5 hr Osmius 3,125
is it me or who else can see demons and angels ? (Nov '11) 5 hr Katie 260
WHICH of the 3 ACCOUNTS IS CORRECT????? 6 hr sciencewillwin 211
More from around the web