Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?

There are 20 comments on the Apr 27, 2009, news.yahoo.com story titled Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?. In it, news.yahoo.com reports that:

The trouble they see is not just an America where general support for gay marriage will have driven a wedge between churches and the world, but between churches themselves.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at news.yahoo.com.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#16938 Jun 13, 2013
Walterwalter wrote:
<quoted text>
UH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Jesus said it, His words.
Acts 9 read it, the words of Jesus are always in red.
the conversion of Paul was witnessed by other men,
such as Ananias whom Jesus sent to Paul.
the Lord told Ananias in verse 15 of chp 9 of Acts that He had chosen Paul.
and the fact history PROVES that God did show Him great things, and direct his path to do all the things the bible said paul would do, is more than proof.
"Acts" was written by Saul's main gentile PR man, Luke.
Thinking

Sidmouth, UK

#16939 Jun 13, 2013
I have observed that when dumbbill is rattled, he CAPITALISES.
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
Why lie? The truth is so much more fun!

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#16941 Jun 13, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Bernie is so close, he speaks for me.
In the way that Superman and Clark Kent are really close?

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#16942 Jun 13, 2013
Walterwalter wrote:
<quoted text>
UH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Jesus said it, His words.
Acts 9 read it, the words of Jesus are always in red.
the conversion of Paul was witnessed by other men,
such as Ananias whom Jesus sent to Paul.
the Lord told Ananias in verse 15 of chp 9 of Acts that He had chosen Paul.
and the fact history PROVES that God did show Him great things, and direct his path to do all the things the bible said paul would do, is more than proof.
Oh, so red ink proves that Jesus said it. Well, that's good enough for me! Stupid. Jesus was dead. Zombie Jesus has no evidence. Just claims. Paul's claims that there were witnesses to Paul's own experience is just as biased. Do you seriously not understand the bias inherent in Paul's claims?
Thinking

UK

#16943 Jun 13, 2013
I cant wait for gay marriage to be legal, so me and my man can celebrate!!!

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#16944 Jun 13, 2013
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
Completely irrelevant, since the rights apply to the individual.
So anyone can get married for any reason to anyone.

Right.

Location hidden

#16945 Jun 13, 2013
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, that definition is just fine... for a basic culture, say one living in the stone age. As societies advance, they require far more than just the basic essence of all the building blocks of civilizations.
Primitive hunter/gatherers do not need anything more than the basic essence of a government - perhaps the strongest man of the tribe, or the oldest, or whatever. However, once that society advances to the point of agriculture and planting, they need more government, including officials to oversee the storage and distribution of food for lean times, etc.
This is no less true of a building block like marriage. Once a society advances beyond the most primitive, laws and government & religion can cut down on things like rape and assorted other ills, allowing marriage to advance beyond its primitive root.
Your thinking is the only thing primitive here...

Evolutionary mating behavior is still the fundamental building block of society.

Marriage still defines a unique relationship unlike any other in a society. No relationship has distinguished itself as a viable alternative.

Ss couples certainly are not capable of the first step, right?

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#16946 Jun 14, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
So anyone can get married for any reason to anyone.
Right.
I didn't see "reason for marrying" on the marriage license form.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#16947 Jun 14, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Your thinking is the only thing primitive here...
Evolutionary mating behavior is still the fundamental building block of society.
Marriage still defines a unique relationship unlike any other in a society. No relationship has distinguished itself as a viable alternative.
Ss couples certainly are not capable of the first step, right?
Why do we allow the infertile, elderly, and people who choose not to have children to marry?

Location hidden

#16948 Jun 14, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do we allow the infertile, elderly, and people who choose not to have children to marry?
Because we always have.
We did not know some were infertile.
Many elderly already HAVE had children.
Most couples change their mind.

Duh.

Location hidden

#16949 Jun 14, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Because we always have.
Duh.
Please provide links to at least one site that gives those as Legal Decisions by a Court, or the text of any U.S. Code that so stipulates as it purpose or rationale.

Location hidden

#16950 Jun 14, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Because we always have.
Duh.
For honesty's sake, learn to use the phrase, "I imagine it is because ..."

"Imagine" isn't the same as "is".

Location hidden

#16951 Jun 14, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Because we always have.
Duh.
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Please provide links to at least one site that gives those as Legal Decisions by a Court, or the text of any U.S. Code that so stipulates as it purpose or rationale.
snyper, snyper, snyper,

Which is the fundamental truth?

Reality or the Law?

A law that ignores reality is simply a poor illegitimate law.

I'm really sorry that exposing those facts exposes your futile attempt to impose an imposter relationship on marriage.

“praying for you!”

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#16952 Jun 14, 2013
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
In a few months, you will be able to go to your nearest shopping mall and see a jolly fat man in a red suit. Shall we accept that as proof that Santa is real? After all, if you have been a good boy, you can sit on his lap and tell him what you want for xmas.
Luke was the most likely author of Acts, and he was a follower of Paul. In other words, just because they claimed to have heard the long dead Jesus does not mean that a corpse actually spoke to them, and Luke had a vested interest in supporting Paul's claim.
do you have a copy of the Holy bible? If you do, then you might want to throw it out. Because clearly from your posts you just called the entire bible and God a liar.

you deny the power of God, the purpose of His word and the prophets He chose to execute His word to every generation

Heres the thing, IF the bible were (as you proclaim it to be) just mens words and not true at all, then explain to me this
how is it the bible has held the same ultimate number one position of all holy lititure since the day it was written? how has it maintained its status thru out EVERY century of mankind and not lost its flavor, power changing abilities, and how come it has never been proven to be in error by anyone?
had it been false it would not 'stood the test of time' as it has.
had it been false it would not of fulfilled TO THE LETTER every given prophecy up to date as it has.

no man has ever been able to change it, alter it, ban it, lessen its worth or remove it from its all time number one spot.

so, your human desire to distrust what Isaiah 55:11 claims, is about as insignificant as an ant trying to topple an elephant off a cliff.

the proof is in the test of time.

Location hidden

#16953 Jun 14, 2013
KiMare wrote:
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Because we always have.
Duh.
<quoted text>
snyper, snyper, snyper,
Which is the fundamental truth?
Reality or the Law?
A law that ignores reality is simply a poor illegitimate law.
I'm really sorry that exposing those facts exposes your futile attempt to impose an imposter relationship on marriage.
None of that fog alters the topic of our discussion: the legal status of samesex relationships.

Just because you dodge calling it the protoscholastic "Natural Law" argument, doesn't mean that you aren't trying to appeal to it's fogged tenets.

REALITY is that gay people exist. REALITY is that ONE of the defining characteristics is that we are attracted emotionally and physically to member of our own genotype. REALITY is that samesex physical attraction exists throughout nature. REALITY is that "marriage" is a social construct whose components and purpose have changed throughout time. REALITY is that as a human construct it can be whatever we determine it to be. REALITY is that gay people and society can benefit from the stable bonded relationships supported by the Marriage contract.

REALITY is that the imaginary construct called "society" exists to benefit the individual, not the other way around. History has amply shown that when it becomes an end in itself, it becomes toxic.

"Why should I trade one tyrant 3000 miles away for 3000 tyrants one mile away?" - "The Patriot"

Location hidden

#16954 Jun 14, 2013
Walterwalter wrote:
<quoted text>
do you have a copy of the Holy bible? If you do, then you might want to throw it out. Because clearly from your posts you just called the entire bible and God a liar.
you deny the power of God, the purpose of His word and the prophets He chose to execute His word to every generation
Heres the thing, IF the bible were (as you proclaim it to be) just mens words and not true at all, then explain to me this
how is it the bible has held the same ultimate number one position of all holy lititure since the day it was written? how has it maintained its status thru out EVERY century of mankind and not lost its flavor, power changing abilities, and how come it has never been proven to be in error by anyone?
had it been false it would not 'stood the test of time' as it has.
had it been false it would not of fulfilled TO THE LETTER every given prophecy up to date as it has.
no man has ever been able to change it, alter it, ban it, lessen its worth or remove it from its all time number one spot.
so, your human desire to distrust what Isaiah 55:11 claims, is about as insignificant as an ant trying to topple an elephant off a cliff.
the proof is in the test of time.
There is no "entire" bible as if it were a coherent work. The Hebrew writings were collated and canonized by Pharisee Rabbis in the wake of the destruction of Jerusalem, and this was adopted by Saul's gentile followers. The Greek writings weren't codified into the form you recognize until Martin Luther.

You talk like an automoton that has been programmed to believe an historical inaccuracy. Who benefits (and has benefited) by having you belief in a monolithic "bible"?

Grab your popcorn and learn something ...

http://www.hulu.com/ #!search?q=Who+Wrote+the+Bible %3F

http://www.hulu.com/ #!search?q=Who+Wrote+the+New+T estament%3F

I only suggest these, even with their flaws, because they are entertaining and not mentally taxing, and because I seriously doubt that you will trouble yourself to read the materials necessary to develop an accurate historical perspective.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#16955 Jun 14, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no "entire" bible as if it were a coherent work. The Hebrew writings were collated and canonized by Pharisee Rabbis in the wake of the destruction of Jerusalem, and this was adopted by Saul's gentile followers. The Greek writings weren't codified into the form you recognize until Martin Luther.
You talk like an automoton that has been programmed to believe an historical inaccuracy. Who benefits (and has benefited) by having you belief in a monolithic "bible"?
Grab your popcorn and learn something ...
http://www.hulu.com/ #!search?q=Who+Wrote+the+Bible %3F
http://www.hulu.com/ #!search?q=Who+Wrote+the+New+T estament%3F
I only suggest these, even with their flaws, because they are entertaining and not mentally taxing, and because I seriously doubt that you will trouble yourself to read the materials necessary to develop an accurate historical perspective.
Yuppers.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#16956 Jun 14, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Because we always have.
Duh.
We have pretty much always also allowed people who were obviously incapable of reproducing to marry. Why? "Tradition" doesn't say why it's gone on for so long, nor why it's ever been done. That just says "it's been done this way for a long time." I know that. I want to know why we allow it.

Location hidden

#16957 Jun 14, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
We have pretty much always also allowed people who were obviously incapable of reproducing to marry. Why? "Tradition" doesn't say why it's gone on for so long, nor why it's ever been done. That just says "it's been done this way for a long time." I know that. I want to know why we allow it.
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Because we always have.
Duh.

Location hidden

#16958 Jun 14, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
None of that fog alters the topic of our discussion: the legal status of samesex relationships.
Just because you dodge calling it the protoscholastic "Natural Law" argument, doesn't mean that you aren't trying to appeal to it's fogged tenets.
REALITY is that gay people exist. REALITY is that ONE of the defining characteristics is that we are attracted emotionally and physically to member of our own genotype. REALITY is that samesex physical attraction exists throughout nature. REALITY is that "marriage" is a social construct whose components and purpose have changed throughout time. REALITY is that as a human construct it can be whatever we determine it to be. REALITY is that gay people and society can benefit from the stable bonded relationships supported by the Marriage contract.
REALITY is that the imaginary construct called "society" exists to benefit the individual, not the other way around. History has amply shown that when it becomes an end in itself, it becomes toxic.
"Why should I trade one tyrant 3000 miles away for 3000 tyrants one mile away?" - "The Patriot"
Nothing I've said has any restriction on developing ss relationships.

I simply and accurately point out that ss couples can never equate to marriage. Nor should they need marriage to establish stable bonded relationships. A piece of paper will never make that happen for any relationship.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 3 min truthandcommonsense 3,580
Before The Big Bang 5 min truthandcommonsense 3,903
Question for Preachers of the Law 6 min dollarsbill 13
Nearly all Christians are Frauds 7 min truthandcommonsense 59
I hate Christians 7 min dollarsbill 36
Would Jesus have attended a Gay Wedding? 19 min truthandcommonsense 513
The Heathen's Home Page (Jun '13) 50 min NorCal Native 5,413
The post count of Dollarsbill 1 hr truthandcommonsense 1,490
More from around the web