Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against ...

Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?

There are 16097 comments on the news.yahoo.com story from Apr 27, 2009, titled Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?. In it, news.yahoo.com reports that:

The trouble they see is not just an America where general support for gay marriage will have driven a wedge between churches and the world, but between churches themselves.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at news.yahoo.com.

“No Allah: know peace”

Since: Jun 07

A sacred grove in Tujunga, CA

#14871 May 8, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Hebrews 11:17-19 (MSG)
17 By faith, Abraham, at the time of testing, offered Isaac back to God. Acting in faith, he was as ready to return the promised son, his only son, as he had been to receive him—
18 and this after he had already been told, "Your descendants shall come from Isaac."
19 Abraham figured that if God wanted to, he could raise the dead. In a sense, that's what happened when he received Isaac back, alive from off the altar.
Still exposing your stupidity...
Smirk.
In other words, you would agree with the worshipers of Baal that they were fully justified in tossing their children into the flames, just like their God told them to do.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#14872 May 8, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Hebrews 11:17-19 (MSG)
17 By faith, Abraham, at the time of testing, offered Isaac back to God. Acting in faith, he was as ready to return the promised son, his only son, as he had been to receive him—
18 and this after he had already been told, "Your descendants shall come from Isaac."
19 Abraham figured that if God wanted to, he could raise the dead. In a sense, that's what happened when he received Isaac back, alive from off the altar.
Still exposing your stupidity...
Smirk.
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
In other words, you would agree with the worshipers of Baal that they were fully justified in tossing their children into the flames, just like their God told them to do.
THAT'S where you go with this??? Really?

Issac apparently had no problem with his father's God, he served Him too.

Perhaps you could ask the children tossed to Baal?

Smirk.

#14873 May 8, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
1. The lack of comprehension is all yours. I agreed with you about the Hebrew law, ignored the other gods, and simply pointed out the basis of your ethics.
Ignore Them at your own peril, for They will determine your fate.
KiMare wrote:
You have no morality, you follow self regulated ethics only when convenient.
You have no clue...
KiMare wrote:
2. I didn't refer to Jewish efforts to obey the laws. I noted the profound survival and success of the culture, just as the Alien prophesied on the mountain.
The culture has survived only because of those Laws, for those Laws set them apart from the people around them and allowed them to maintain their identity over the centuries.
KiMare wrote:
*You only expose your bigotry by the comment about Christians and Muslims.
Really? Are you trying to claim that they DIDN'T kill those that failed to convert fast enough?
KiMare wrote:
3. Jews do not obey the Laws because of the threat of hell. There is no doctrine of hell in Judaism.
Correct.
KiMare wrote:
4. A Christian obeys because of love and trust.
John 14:15 (NJB)
15 If you love me you will keep my commandments.
And there is the threat of Hell for failure to obey. "Love Me, or else..."
KiMare wrote:
There is NO intrinsically 'right thing' in ethics. In fact, the only intrinsic mandate in soulless evolution is survival at any cost.
Smile.
That is YOUR definition, inventing a difference between "ethics" ( Dictionary.com : "the rules of conduct recognized in respect to a particular class of human actions or a particular group, culture, etc") and "morality" ("conformity to the rules of right conduct"). Oh, gee, those mean the same thing. Oops. Too bad for you.

And you demonstrate a profound ignorance of the evolutionary advantage of ethical conduct...

#14874 May 8, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
We are not under the law of Moses:
"For sin shall not have dominion over you, for you are NOT under law but under grace.
What then?
Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace?
Certainly not!"
"Therefore, my brethren, you also have become DEAD to the law through the body of Christ, that you may be married to another -- to Him who was raised from the dead, that we should bear fruit to God."
"But now we have been DELIVERED from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and <<<NOT in the oldness of the letter.">>>
Ah... so God lied when He told Moses that the children of Israel were to follow the Laws FOR EVER?

There are only two choices here:
1) Paul was wrong when he said to ignore the Law.
2)The God of the Bible lied to Moses when He said to obey the Laws FOR EVER.

Which is it? Number one or number two?

#14875 May 8, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
God accepts the sacrifice of Abraham’s heart...
God knew that Abraham’s heart belonged to Him totally, absolutely!
Abraham was allowing nothing to stand between him & God – no matter the cost, Abraham would obey God.
Within his heart, Abraham had offered the supreme sacrifice, his son.
Remember – God is after the ~HEARTS~ of people, not the slaying of their bodies.
Once again...

Is it EVER okay to murder your own son? The only moral answer to a command from a God to murder your own son is "FOAD, I'm going to find a different God."

Since: Dec 09

Chicago, IL

#14876 May 8, 2013
Sundog512 wrote:
And Crazybill casts another soul into hell.
<quoted text>
That'll be one more star after his name on the "Number of Souls Condemned to Hell" chart.
I wonder how many times he's won the "Highest Performing Employee of the Month" award at Satan Industries INC.?

#14877 May 8, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
He's not dick-obsessed. He's genital-obsessed. Note the uncleanliness rules for women when they're having their period, and how they should be kept apart from the rest of society until such time as they stop leaking sin from out of their lady bits. And, only religious fundamentalism (that is, strictly adhering to the teachings of one's holy book) could result in something like this: http://www.newscientist.com/gallery/dn16624-s...
Once is not enough...

Joshua 5:2 At that time the LORD said unto Joshua, Make thee sharp knives, and circumcise again the children of Israel the second time.
5:3 And Joshua made him sharp knives, and circumcised the children of Israel at the hill of the foreskins.

Location hidden

#14878 May 8, 2013
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
Ignore Them at your own peril, for They will determine your fate.
<quoted text>
You have no clue...
<quoted text>
The culture has survived only because of those Laws, for those Laws set them apart from the people around them and allowed them to maintain their identity over the centuries.
<quoted text>
Really? Are you trying to claim that they DIDN'T kill those that failed to convert fast enough?
<quoted text>
Correct.
<quoted text>
And there is the threat of Hell for failure to obey. "Love Me, or else..."
<quoted text>
That is YOUR definition, inventing a difference between "ethics" ( Dictionary.com : "the rules of conduct recognized in respect to a particular class of human actions or a particular group, culture, etc") and "morality" ("conformity to the rules of right conduct"). Oh, gee, those mean the same thing. Oops. Too bad for you.
And you demonstrate a profound ignorance of the evolutionary advantage of ethical conduct...
Scoffing masquerading as intelligence, and just plain stupidity.

http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-the-differenc ...-
between-ethics-and-morals.htm

"The difference between ethics and morals can seem somewhat arbitrary to many, but there is a basic, albeit subtle, difference. Morals define personal character, while ethics stress a social system in which those morals are applied. In other words, ethics point to standards or codes of behavior expected by the group to which the individual belongs. This could be national ethics, social ethics, company ethics, professional ethics, or even family ethics. So while a person’s moral code is usually unchanging, the ethics he or she practices can be other-dependent.

When considering the difference between ethics and morals, it may be helpful to consider a criminal defense lawyer. Though the lawyer’s personal moral code likely finds murder immoral and reprehensible, ethics demand the accused client be defended as vigorously as possible, even when the lawyer knows the party is guilty and that a freed defendant would potentially lead to more crime. Legal ethics must override personal morals for the greater good of upholding a justice system in which the accused are given a fair trial and the prosecution must prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt."

http://www.differencebetween.net/business/
difference-between-ethics-and- morals/

"This implies that ethics define the code that a society or group of people adhere to while morality delves into right and wrong at a much deeper level, which is both personal and spiritual. The ethics that a person adheres too are impacted upon by external factors like the nation, society, peer group, religion and profession, and could change with a change in any of these influencing factors.

For instance fox hunting in England was ethical till the other day, because that was the tradition, and there was no law against it. But the recent legislation banning it made it illegal, and the widespread protests against the evil nature of the sport caused a cessation of the tradition supporting it, and therefore it became unethical. Morals on the other hand are made of sterner stuff, and usually do not change. It will for instance always be immoral to murder another human being, no matter who the person committing the act is."

Snicker.

#14879 May 8, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Scoffing masquerading as intelligence, and just plain stupidity.
http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-the-differenc ...-
between-ethics-and-morals.htm
"The difference between ethics and morals can seem somewhat arbitrary to many, but there is a basic, albeit subtle, difference. Morals define personal character, while ethics stress a social system in which those morals are applied. In other words, ethics point to standards or codes of behavior expected by the group to which the individual belongs. This could be national ethics, social ethics, company ethics, professional ethics, or even family ethics. So while a person’s moral code is usually unchanging, the ethics he or she practices can be other-dependent.
When considering the difference between ethics and morals, it may be helpful to consider a criminal defense lawyer. Though the lawyer’s personal moral code likely finds murder immoral and reprehensible, ethics demand the accused client be defended as vigorously as possible, even when the lawyer knows the party is guilty and that a freed defendant would potentially lead to more crime. Legal ethics must override personal morals for the greater good of upholding a justice system in which the accused are given a fair trial and the prosecution must prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt."
"This implies that ethics define the code that a society or group of people adhere to while morality delves into right and wrong at a much deeper level, which is both personal and spiritual. The ethics that a person adheres too are impacted upon by external factors like the nation, society, peer group, religion and profession, and could change with a change in any of these influencing factors.
For instance fox hunting in England was ethical till the other day, because that was the tradition, and there was no law against it. But the recent legislation banning it made it illegal, and the widespread protests against the evil nature of the sport caused a cessation of the tradition supporting it, and therefore it became unethical. Morals on the other hand are made of sterner stuff, and usually do not change. It will for instance always be immoral to murder another human being, no matter who the person committing the act is."
Snicker.
Thus, what you prattle on about is the ETHICS of xianity, pretending them to be morality, with gay marriage as the prime example. There is no MORAL argument against gay marriage, only the ethics of the (mis)interpretation of a holy book.

Location hidden

#14880 May 8, 2013
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
Thus, what you prattle on about is the ETHICS of xianity, pretending them to be morality, with gay marriage as the prime example. There is no MORAL argument against gay marriage, only the ethics of the (mis)interpretation of a holy book.
You do realize that when you shift because your stupidity has been exposed, the only thing that happens is more stupidity is exposed?

What you are missing is, without God, there is NO moral argument.

My assertion was verified that ethics are a chosen, shifting constraint of society, without foundation, and servant of evolution.

I argue marriage from the same place, and you have no answer, because your supposed god, science supports me.

You keep wanting to disprove faith, something your depraved being has no concept of. The end result is that faith looks smart, and you look like an idiot.

But hey, I enjoy slinging smart stones at Goliath. Or in this case, fat boy.

Smile.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#14881 May 8, 2013
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
Once is not enough...
Joshua 5:2 At that time the LORD said unto Joshua, Make thee sharp knives, and circumcise again the children of Israel the second time.
5:3 And Joshua made him sharp knives, and circumcised the children of Israel at the hill of the foreskins.
Are we living under the Old Covenant or the New Covenant? Do you know the difference?

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#14882 May 8, 2013
I guess nobody cares about foreskins anymore. I wonder if God ever cared for real. Seems to me like some kind of superstitious ritualistic mutilation.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#14883 May 8, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Not intrinsic to the meaning of the words themselves. A construct.

Since: Dec 09

Chicago, IL

#14884 May 8, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
You do realize that when you shift because your stupidity has been exposed, the only thing that happens is more stupidity is exposed?
My assertion was verified that ethics are a chosen, shifting constraint of society, without foundation, and servant of evolution.
I argue marriage from the same place, and you have no answer, because your supposed god, science supports me.
You keep wanting to disprove faith, something your depraved being has no concept of. The end result is that faith looks smart, and you look like an idiot.
Smile.
KiMare: "... without God, there is NO moral argument."

Your contention is specious - it is based on the unproven, and probable UNprovable premise that God exists.
It would have been more credible to have contended, "were there not morality, there'd be no moral argument". THAT would have been worth debating just to see if it proved true or not.

Location hidden

#14885 May 8, 2013
WasteWater wrote:
I guess nobody cares about foreskins anymore. I wonder if God ever cared for real. Seems to me like some kind of superstitious ritualistic mutilation.
With the hygiene practices of the time, or rather the lack of them, I'm certain that circumcision reduced STDs and, as we now know, transmission of HPV and the resultant sterility and cancer in women.

The Hebrews were going to out-breed and out-live the surrounding cultures.

Location hidden

#14886 May 8, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Smile.
False distinction created by RC apologists during the period of the 2nd Spanish Inquisition.

dollarsbill

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#14887 May 8, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>Exodus 20:16 (ESV)“You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
"abomination"

Leviticus 20:13 (NKJV)
13 If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them.

dollarsbill

Location hidden

#14888 May 8, 2013
Sundog512 wrote:
And Crazybill casts another soul into hell.
<quoted text>
You got part of it right. You will burn in Hell.

dollarsbill

Location hidden

#14889 May 8, 2013
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>.
But if $billy doesn't give false witness, how can he witness at all?
By warning you both of your future in Hell, as Jesus said.

dollarsbill

Location hidden

#14890 May 8, 2013
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Cursing people in the name of Jesus blasphemous heretic?
Your fate:

"everlasting fire" "everlasting punishment"

Matthew 25:41-46 (NKJV)
41 Then He will also say to those on the left hand,'Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels:
46 And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Can You Be A Christian AND Believe In Reincarna... (May '09) 22 min Scientist 474
The truth is difficult, I understand. 25 min Scientist 59
breath of god, and how we come to light. 27 min Scientist 12
Ryan Dunn's Dead and Atheisms Failure (Jun '11) 8 hr truth 17
What religion was Enoch, Noah, and Abraham? (Oct '12) 8 hr Barmsweb 1,682
the pauline paradox 8 hr Barmsweb 94
The False Teachings of the Hebrew Israelites, s... (Jan '14) 8 hr truth 1,672
More from around the web