Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against ...

Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?

There are 16097 comments on the news.yahoo.com story from Apr 27, 2009, titled Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?. In it, news.yahoo.com reports that:

The trouble they see is not just an America where general support for gay marriage will have driven a wedge between churches and the world, but between churches themselves.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at news.yahoo.com.

Thinking

Dundee, UK

#14375 Apr 30, 2013
christians also used scripture to delay the abolition of slavery and to oppose votes for women.
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, the thread IS about gay marriage and its effects on churches...
Do remember that many xians are rather slow on the up-take, and it is going to take them a long time to understand just how wrong they are on this subject. Remember, many of them are STILL trying to argue against evolution, and that was settled decades ago.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#14376 Apr 30, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
"Ahavah" means "brotherhood" or "family bond"
http://jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/3741-b...
Zech 11:14
Friendship.......NOT marriage....

Jonathan and David.

Jonathan's attachment to David began soon after the latter's victory over Goliath; "the soul of Jonathan was knit with the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul" (I Sam. xviii. 1). The latter expression is repeated in I Sam. xx. 17, their love being further described in II Sam. i. 26 as "passing the love of women." **********The friendship was confirmed by a covenant, Jonathan giving David his garments, sword, and bow, and on several occasions David escaped death at the hands of Saul through the intervention of Jonathan.********* Their parting was full of pathos, and was marked by passionate embraces and tears (I Sam. xviii. 3-4; xix. 1-7; xx. 1-34, 41-42).

Saul and David: David's Family and Qualifications: Selection and consecration of David, the son of Jesse, after the rejection of his brothers (xvi. 1-13); David, as a cunning player on the harp, is brought to Saul to drive away the evil spirit from the king (xvi. 14-23); David's valor; his victory over Goliath (xvii. 1-54); [[[[[[[[[[David becomes Jonathan's friend and a general of Saul (xvii. 55-xviii. 5).]]]]]]]]

http://jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/13080-...

Historical Examples.

As historical examples of friendship have high value in determining the characteristics of the national soul, the following may be cited from Jewish history: The relations between Jonathan and David have become typical of true friendship. Jonathan's friendship for David is put to a severe test. Against his friendship there are arrayed filial duty and the personal interests of a prince; but friendship conquers (I Sam. xviii. 3, xix. 2-7, xxiii. 17-18). David is kind to the unfortunate Mephibosheth, a scion of the house of Saul, whom he be-friends on account of Jonathan, his friend (II Sam. ix.). Barzillai's disinterested kindness for David is another instance (II Sam. xix. 31-39).

http://jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/6393-f...
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#14377 Apr 30, 2013
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup. They were SO like-minded and loved ech other SO dearly that when they embraced, David purely orgasmed.
Can't accept friendship between David and Jonathan....I see...
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#14378 Apr 30, 2013
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
So? I never said otherwise. YOU are the one that is saying that they were not beloved of God.
Even though the death of Saul and Jonathan placed David on the throne, David had nothing but kindness and respect for his friend and his father.

"Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil."

Any two people who truly love each other will act in a similar fashion.

After all, that is what God means by love.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#14379 Apr 30, 2013
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, that might be a valid point IF that was the only thing in there. But the fact remains that Jewish marriages can be enacted in THREE ways, and David and Johnathan performed all three; they exchanged vows, they exchanged gifts, and they had sex.
And David mourned his death, saying that he loved him more than any woman...
Jonathan has made a determination here.....that he would rather have David’s friendship then to have the kingdom.

He would rather be the friend of the King then be King.....

I just have to ask.....how awesome is that?

Jonathan saw the bigger picture.....and he was happy to let his friend increase.....to receive the glory.....and to take a backseat to the one who would become king.

Could you do that for your friend???
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#14380 Apr 30, 2013
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
So? I never said otherwise. YOU are the one that is saying that they were not beloved of God.
If you want to call Jesus your friend, you have to accept his sacrifice.

Just as David accepted Jonathan’s.....you have to come to the point where you are broken hearted over the sacrifice of your friend and all you can do is accept it and say "Thank You."

David couldn’t pay Jonathan back.....and you can’t pay Jesus back.

All you can do is accept it and say "Thanks."

There is no middle of the road here.....you either accept it.....or you don’t.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#14381 Apr 30, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Friendship.......NOT marriage....
Jonathan and David.
Jonathan's attachment to David began soon after the latter's victory over Goliath; "the soul of Jonathan was knit with the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul" (I Sam. xviii. 1). The latter expression is repeated in I Sam. xx. 17, their love being further described in II Sam. i. 26 as "passing the love of women." **********The friendship was confirmed by a covenant, Jonathan giving David his garments, sword, and bow, and on several occasions David escaped death at the hands of Saul through the intervention of Jonathan.********* Their parting was full of pathos, and was marked by passionate embraces and tears (I Sam. xviii. 3-4; xix. 1-7; xx. 1-34, 41-42).
Saul and David: David's Family and Qualifications: Selection and consecration of David, the son of Jesse, after the rejection of his brothers (xvi. 1-13); David, as a cunning player on the harp, is brought to Saul to drive away the evil spirit from the king (xvi. 14-23); David's valor; his victory over Goliath (xvii. 1-54); [[[[[[[[[[David becomes Jonathan's friend and a general of Saul (xvii. 55-xviii. 5).]]]]]]]]
http://jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/13080-...
Historical Examples.
As historical examples of friendship have high value in determining the characteristics of the national soul, the following may be cited from Jewish history: The relations between Jonathan and David have become typical of true friendship. Jonathan's friendship for David is put to a severe test. Against his friendship there are arrayed filial duty and the personal interests of a prince; but friendship conquers (I Sam. xviii. 3, xix. 2-7, xxiii. 17-18). David is kind to the unfortunate Mephibosheth, a scion of the house of Saul, whom he be-friends on account of Jonathan, his friend (II Sam. ix.). Barzillai's disinterested kindness for David is another instance (II Sam. xix. 31-39).
http://jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/6393-f...
Now we're playing with sources ... as it should be.

Good reply.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#14382 Apr 30, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
If you want to call Jesus your friend, you have to accept his sacrifice.
Just as David accepted Jonathan’s.....you have to come to the point where you are broken hearted over the sacrifice of your friend and all you can do is accept it and say "Thank You."
David couldn’t pay Jonathan back.....and you can’t pay Jesus back.
All you can do is accept it and say "Thanks."
There is no middle of the road here.....you either accept it.....or you don’t.
Traditional Sunday school exegesis.

It's just wrong.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#14383 Apr 30, 2013
dollarsbill wrote:
<quoted text>
I present Scripture for what I believe. Why don't you? Answer: The Bible condemns you to eternal Hell fire.
15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

dollarsbill

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#14384 Apr 30, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>
15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
And gays are still condemned to eternal Hell fire.

Gays are condemned to Hell fire TWICE in one verse.

1 Corinthians 6:9 (NKJV)
9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites,

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#14385 Apr 30, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Help me out...remind me why anyone should give a shit what the Bible says when we're talking about secular law regarding civil marriages.
Not on this string. Look at the Topix question idiot.

Duh.

Location hidden

#14386 Apr 30, 2013
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
Bathsheba was married to Uriah, thus having sex with her was adultery. David compounded his error by making sure that Uriah was killed. On the other hand, David and Johnathan were married to each other, and spouses cannot commit adultery by having sex with each other.
David and Jonathan were married to other people too idiot.

You are a sacrilegious troll. I'd be afraid if I were you.

Smirk.

Location hidden

#14387 Apr 30, 2013
Thinking wrote:
christians also used scripture to delay the abolition of slavery and to oppose votes for women.
<quoted text>
Gay twirl lie by an idiot.

Prove it.

Smile.
Thinking

Dundee, UK

#14388 Apr 30, 2013
You made the claim, you prove it.
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Gay twirl lie by an idiot.
Prove it.
Smile.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#14389 Apr 30, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
They will say anything and show any kind of link for their gay logic which shows NO substance.
David and Jonathan was NOT gay or married, PERIOD!
Sure they were gay. What world do you live in?

Location hidden

#14390 Apr 30, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
David and Jonathan were married to other people too idiot.
You are a sacrilegious troll. I'd be afraid if I were you.
Smirk.
Lots of gay men have gotten married through out history.

“Just Call It Marriage Now”

Since: Sep 08

All rights For All!

#14391 Apr 30, 2013
Wade wrote:
<quoted text>The claims of IQ versus religion are fiction. In reality, a college graduate is MUCH more likely to attend church that you uneducated people. Google it!
Telling her to google what you claim is like saying, "Prove I don't have ice cream in my pocket."

First: It is up to you to prove what you claim, not someone else.

Second: The higher the IQ level, the more the individual would really rather stay secluded, and that includes people and theories that they deem not worthy to waste time on. It is a fact that the smarter an individual is, the lonelier they are.

And my final point: If you want to appear as though you know what your talking about, try proof reading what you post.

I'll leave you with this:
“We were en route back to Israel after a visit to the USA, on an El Al flight. As our young son was sitting next to us, our 10-year-old-daughter had to sit next to a gentleman opposite us and she wasn’t too happy about it.”

After the meal she told us that he wanted to chat to her.

“Is that what you want?” we asked her.“You told me never to talk to strangers, Dad.”

“It’s okay on a plane and, we are right here. Go ahead.”

“I think that a long flight passes faster if one talks to a fellow passenger,”the gentleman told her.“Don’t you think so?”

“Well, I was going to play a game on my ipod touch,” she said, returning it to its case.“What do you want to talk about?”

“Oh, I don’t know. How about nuclear power?”

“Okay, that could be an interesting topic, but I want to ask you a question first. Is that okay?”

“Sure. Fire away.”

“Right. A horse, a cow and a deer all eat the same stuff, don’t they?” she asked.

“Yes, that’s right. They eat grass.”

“And deer excrete little pellets, cows turn out flat patties, and horses produce clumps of dried grass. Why do you suppose this occurs?”

The man was visibly surprised by her statement and her intelligence. He thought about it then said; “Hmmm. I have no idea.”

Then she surprised him with; “Do you really feel qualified to discuss nuclear power when you don’t know shit, sir?”

Location hidden

#14396 Apr 30, 2013
Mr Rose S Bush wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, they married females and no longer were gay. Gays is a moment by moment choice condition. Hitler was gay, got married on a Monday and both his wife and he, Eva, committed suicide on a Tuesday, so gay Hitler was married too.
I love gay people, accept most happy people are straight.
BS. Many gay men have married females to keep up appearances. Some even had children and families. They were still gay. Well at least you got part of it. Yes they did marry females. The rest is pure drivel.

“No Allah: know peace”

Since: Jun 07

A sacred grove in Tujunga, CA

#14397 Apr 30, 2013
dollarsbill wrote:
<quoted text>
God doesn't have to ask your permission to cast gays and lesbians into Hell. He will simply do it.
Why? Because YOU demand it of Him? The God of the Bible is happy with gays, just as they are. That is why the Bible celebrates the marriage between David and Johnathan.

“No Allah: know peace”

Since: Jun 07

A sacred grove in Tujunga, CA

#14398 Apr 30, 2013
dollarsbill wrote:
<quoted text>
I offer to allow proof that I'm wrong. Still waiting. Biblical illiteracy cannot be hidden. The Bible itself reveals Biblical illiteracy.
Mark this day down, you actually make a correct post! The Bible itself DOES indeed reveal Biblical illiteracy, and that is why you have been shown to be so incredibly ignorant of the facts regarding what the Bible really says about homosexuality.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fairy-Tales (Trolls): Christian Censorship? 7 hr Abishai100 1
Early Christianity (Dec '16) 9 hr horror girl 2,878
Bible says Satan will be Destroyed, Not Live Fo... (Apr '10) 13 hr Jones 760
Gambler's Abyss: Deuteronomy 14 hr AlertChristians 3
Are Your Beliefs TRUE? 16 hr ZDF 608
jesus will never return 18 hr ZDF 499
Why has God stop communicating with man? Mon horror girl 219
More from around the web