Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?

There are 20 comments on the news.yahoo.com story from Apr 27, 2009, titled Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?. In it, news.yahoo.com reports that:

The trouble they see is not just an America where general support for gay marriage will have driven a wedge between churches and the world, but between churches themselves.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at news.yahoo.com.

“Maiden of Mayhem”

Since: May 08

OMFUG

#14352 Apr 29, 2013
I see no evidence of same sex marriage causing any problems with society.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#14353 Apr 29, 2013
RUFUBAR wrote:
<quoted text>
King David and Jonathan were at the very least Bi-sexuals! And here is a link with much more info on that very subject! Bottom line,straight friends no matter how close don't get a "woody" when in the company of each other! Enjoy!
The story of King David and Jonathan's love for each other!
http://www.examiner.com/spiritual-life-in-nat...
The Hebrew word for “love” used here is not the typical word used for sexual activity.

This word for “love” has clear political and diplomatic connotations.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#14354 Apr 29, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
So while David and Jonathan were both married to women, and David was judged for adultery with Bathsheba, he was extolled for adultery with Jonathon???
Gay logic.
Snicker.
They will say anything and show any kind of link for their gay logic which shows NO substance.

David and Jonathan was NOT gay or married, PERIOD!
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#14355 Apr 29, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Conjecture, not scriptural, based upon what you imagine and want the actions to mean.
On the other hand, "Liam"'s presentation of the cultural norms and practices of the time is quite accurate.
WRONG!!!

David and Jonathan shared a love that had nothing to do with desire or attraction or needs.

Their needs were already met in God.

This friendship was about choices and covenants, not fuzzy feelings or raging desires.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#14356 Apr 29, 2013
KiMare wrote:
Real marriage and all other options;
Matthew 19:4 "Haven't you read the Scriptures?" Jesus replied. "They record that from the beginning 'God made them male and female.'*5 And he said,'This explains why a man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife, and the two are united into one.'*6 Since they are no longer two but one, let no one split apart what God has joined together."
Jesus was answering a direct question about divorce.

Doesn't that mean that your current wife is till joined to her previous husband?
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#14357 Apr 29, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
They will say anything and show any kind of link for their gay logic which shows NO substance.
David and Jonathan was NOT gay or married, PERIOD!
Now click your heels together three times and repeat They WEREN'T married.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#14358 Apr 29, 2013
KiMare wrote:
Real marriage and all other options;
Matthew 19:4 "Haven't you read the Scriptures?" Jesus replied. "They record that from the beginning 'God made them male and female.'*5 And he said,'This explains why a man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife, and the two are united into one.'*6 Since they are no longer two but one, let no one split apart what God has joined together."
7 "Then why did Moses say in the law that a man could give his wife a written notice of divorce and send her away?"* they asked.
8 Jesus replied, "Moses permitted divorce only as a concession to your hard hearts, but it was not what God had originally intended.9 And I tell you this, whoever divorces his wife and marries someone else commits adultery—unless his wife has been unfaithful.*"
10 Jesus' disciples then said to him, "If this is the case, it is better not to marry!"
11 "Not everyone can accept this statement," Jesus said. "Only those whom God helps.12 Some are born as eunuchs, some have been made eunuchs by others, and some choose not to marry* for the sake of the Kingdom of Heaven. Let anyone accept this who can."
Help me out...remind me why anyone should give a shit what the Bible says when we're talking about secular law regarding civil marriages.

“SCOTUS will Rule in June for”

Since: Aug 08

MARRIAGE EQUALITY:-)

#14359 Apr 29, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
And society and children suffer the consequences.
Not funny.
Well, then maybe people should take getting married a little more serious before hoping into them or make divorce more difficult to achieve.......but you can't mandate that once married means that the couple can not ever divorce!!!

Location hidden

#14360 Apr 29, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
The Hebrew word for “love” used here is not the typical word used for sexual activity.
This word for “love” has clear political and diplomatic connotations.
Who says?

Location hidden

#14361 Apr 29, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
WRONG!!!
David and Jonathan shared a love that had nothing to do with desire or attraction or needs.
Their needs were already met in God.
This friendship was about choices and covenants, not fuzzy feelings or raging desires.
Don't just opine it, PROVE it.

“SCOTUS will Rule in June for”

Since: Aug 08

MARRIAGE EQUALITY:-)

#14362 Apr 29, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, then maybe people should take getting married a little more serious before hoping into them or make divorce more difficult to achieve.......but you can't mandate that once married means that the couple can not ever divorce!!!
Should have read HOPPING instead of hoping.....lol!!!

Location hidden

#14363 Apr 29, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Should have read HOPPING instead of hoping.....lol!!!
Both work in different ways. The first is just more subtle.

“No Allah: know peace”

Since: Jun 07

A sacred grove in Tujunga, CA

#14364 Apr 29, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Jonathan and David were like-minded, like-faithed and best friends who dearly loved each other in the highest and purest form.
Yup. They were SO like-minded and loved ech other SO dearly that when they embraced, David purely orgasmed.

#14365 Apr 29, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Jonathan (Saul’s son) and David are almost mirror images of character and among the most God-like men in the Bible.
So? I never said otherwise. YOU are the one that is saying that they were not beloved of God.

#14366 Apr 29, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Jonathan makes a covenant to selflessly serve David as King.
This is another example of the pure obedient, selfless faith of Jonathan.
This covenant would have included an oath from Jonathan to serve David as his king.
Well, that might be a valid point IF that was the only thing in there. But the fact remains that Jewish marriages can be enacted in THREE ways, and David and Johnathan performed all three; they exchanged vows, they exchanged gifts, and they had sex.

And David mourned his death, saying that he loved him more than any woman...

#14367 Apr 29, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
So while David and Jonathan were both married to women, and David was judged for adultery with Bathsheba, he was extolled for adultery with Jonathon???
Gay logic.
Snicker.
Bathsheba was married to Uriah, thus having sex with her was adultery. David compounded his error by making sure that Uriah was killed. On the other hand, David and Johnathan were married to each other, and spouses cannot commit adultery by having sex with each other.

#14368 Apr 29, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Help me out...remind me why anyone should give a shit what the Bible says when we're talking about secular law regarding civil marriages.
Well, the thread IS about gay marriage and its effects on churches...

Do remember that many xians are rather slow on the up-take, and it is going to take them a long time to understand just how wrong they are on this subject. Remember, many of them are STILL trying to argue against evolution, and that was settled decades ago.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#14369 Apr 30, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>I see quite clearly buttercup and far more biblically literate than you pray you want me to be. Your self-professed "Christian" opinions won't being you either sweetie, the Bible tells you so. Are you listening?
I present Scripture for what I believe. Why don't you? Answer: The Bible condemns you to eternal Hell fire.

Location hidden

#14370 Apr 30, 2013
OkieDarren wrote:
First off, there is no "hell." It is a manmade myth, a sick idea that the "leaders" of the church made up because they wanted a punishment for those who did not follow THEIR rules.
Secondly, even IF this sick myth were true, being gay is NOT a sin, and gay people are NOT "going to hell."
To claim it's "not up for discussion" proves how phony and ignorant of Christianity you are. You believe what you WANT to be true, and ignore the massive majority of the Christian faith who disagree with your hateful un-Christian bunk.
"God does not call it a marriage,how could he,"
God DOES call it a marriage, because that's what it is. God blesses these unions and these families and these marriages just as much as ANY other.
"neither does your state."
Because of the bigotry of human beings, going AGAINST Christian principles AND the most basic principles of this nation's founding.
"By the way, let Rose TH know that you left California along with about 6,000 other fake same sex mirages."
More KKK crapola. Those marriages weren't fake in any way whatsoever. Those couples are as married as any other married couple.
"By the way, we have assigned it a name it is called "same sex mirages". They are just as real as a mirage."
By "we" you mean bigoted hate groups. What is truly a mirage is your claim to be a follower of Jesus Christ.
God doesn't have to ask your permission to cast gays and lesbians into Hell. He will simply do it.

Location hidden

#14371 Apr 30, 2013
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
You already proved it with your endless drivel calling others illiterate. Yep. That's a worthless opinion.
I offer to allow proof that I'm wrong. Still waiting. Biblical illiteracy cannot be hidden. The Bible itself reveals Biblical illiteracy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is Paul a false Apostle? (Sep '13) 3 min Barnsweb 2,933
The Heathen's Home Page (Jun '13) 9 min dollarsbill 5,296
God's name is Yahweh 11 min dollarsbill 116
Mother Mary? 16 min We Are Almost There 82
Questions for Dollarsbill? 21 min dollarsbill 132
Phoney Chrstians Beware (Feb '14) 23 min dollarsbill 175
The post count of Dollarsbill 24 min dollarsbill 1,568
25 THINGS THE BIBLE FORBIDS BUT WE STILL DO - i... 27 min dollarsbill 106
Would Jesus have attended a Gay Wedding? 32 min dollarsbill 786
Is the Earth flat? Is it a globe? 1 hr blacklagoon 73