Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?

Apr 27, 2009 Full story: news.yahoo.com 16,103

The trouble they see is not just an America where general support for gay marriage will have driven a wedge between churches and the world, but between churches themselves.

Full Story

“God Loves Ilks!”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#10336 Mar 19, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
We are given two requirements from scripture:
Hear His voice...
Donít harden your heart.
Well, gosh darn it.

Where are the Two Greatest Commandments on your list of requirements?
At the bottom?
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#10337 Mar 19, 2013
dollarsbill wrote:
<quoted text>
It means what it says, FEAR. The NT confirms.
Hebrews 10:31 (NKJV)
31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.
If there is, in my heart, a healthy fear and respect toward God, that is the beginning of a good life of right knowledge and right behavior.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#10338 Mar 19, 2013
Happy Easter Sock wrote:
<quoted text>
Is Christian morality based on fear?
Some people characterize Christian morality as primitive because they view it as relying on threats of punishment in hell and promises of reward in heaven. It is true that the Bible teaches there is an afterlife with rewards and punishments for earthly conduct.1 But it also teaches that morality is based on love, not fear. God instructed the Israelites to love foreigners because they were once foreigners themselves and ought to empathize with them.2 (Contrary to popular belief, the command to love one's neighbor as oneself is not unique to the New Testament, but first appears in the Old Testament in Leviticus 19:18.)
That the basis of morality is love, not fear, is most clearly and fully expressed in the book of 1 John:
Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.(1 Jn 4:7-11)
God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him. In this way, love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment, because in this world we are like him. There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.(1 Jn 4:16b-18, emphasis added)
This is how we know that we love the children of God: by loving God and carrying out his commands. This is love for God: to obey his commands. And his commands are not burdensome, for everyone born of God overcomes the world.(1 Jn 5:2-4a)
http://www.rationalchristianity.net/fear_mora...
>^o^<
If I will get my heart right with God, and maintain that disposition of heart, that action on my part will move me in the right direction and prompt good character and behavior.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#10339 Mar 19, 2013
Happy Easter Sock wrote:
<quoted text>
1 John 4:
18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.
1 John 2:
9 He that saith he is in the light, and hateth his brother, is in darkness even until now.
>^o^<
Perfect love does these two things: it keeps the commandments of God and it also casts out fear.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#10340 Mar 19, 2013
dollarsbill wrote:
<quoted text>
Which does not mean we should not fear God.
1 Peter 2:17 (NKJV)
17 Fear God.
2 Kings 17:25 (NKJV)
25 And it was so, at the beginning of their dwelling there, that they did not fear the LORD; therefore the LORD sent lions among them, which killed some of them.
There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love.

We love, because He first loved us.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#10341 Mar 19, 2013
Nettiebelle wrote:
<quoted text>Well, gosh darn it.
Where are the Two Greatest Commandments on your list of requirements?
At the bottom?
Not my requirements but God's....

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#10342 Mar 19, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love.
We love, because He first loved us.
Which does not rule out fearing God.

"making them an example"

2 Peter 2:4-6 (NKJV)
4 For if God did not spare the angels who sinned, but cast them down to hell and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved for judgment; 5 and did not spare the ancient world, but saved Noah, one of eight people, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood on the world of the ungodly; 6 and turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah into ashes, condemned them to destruction, making them an example to those who afterward would live ungodly;
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#10343 Mar 19, 2013
dollarsbill wrote:
<quoted text>
Which does not rule out fearing God.
"making them an example"
2 Peter 2:4-6 (NKJV)
4 For if God did not spare the angels who sinned, but cast them down to hell and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved for judgment; 5 and did not spare the ancient world, but saved Noah, one of eight people, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood on the world of the ungodly; 6 and turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah into ashes, condemned them to destruction, making them an example to those who afterward would live ungodly;
Without the fear of the Lord, there is no reason "in their hearts" to respect Him and obey Him.

Faithful service to God and obedience to Christ is rooted in the FEAR OF THE LORD.

“God Loves Ilks!”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#10344 Mar 19, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Not my requirements but God's....
So, you are saying you have your own requirements?
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#10345 Mar 19, 2013
Nettiebelle wrote:
<quoted text>So, you are saying you have your own requirements?
God's will = God's requirements....

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#10346 Mar 19, 2013
dollarsbill wrote:
<quoted text>
When you are burning in Hell forever you will remember that I cared enough to warn you.
Jude 1:22-23 (NKJV)
22 And on some have compassion, making a distinction; 23 but others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire, hating even the garment defiled by the flesh.
Argumentum ad baculum DISMISSED

NEXT

Location hidden

#10347 Mar 19, 2013
dollarsbill wrote:
<quoted text>
It means what it says, FEAR. The NT confirms.
Hebrews 10:31 (NKJV)
31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.
Your God is too small.

Location hidden

#10348 Mar 19, 2013
dollarsbill wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you referring to the God of the Bible Who drowned all but 8 to make an example of them?
Since none of that actually happened, what example was this? An example that God is a liar?

Location hidden

#10349 Mar 19, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
If there is, in my heart, a healthy fear and respect toward God, that is the beginning of a good life of right knowledge and right behavior.
My life is better than your life.... Nayner nayner nayne.....

GROW UP !!!!!

Location hidden

#10350 Mar 19, 2013
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Argumentum ad baculum DISMISSED
NEXT
Just delivering my soul.

Ezekiel 33:9 (NKJV)
9 Nevertheless if you warn the wicked to turn from his way, and he does not turn from his way, he shall die in his iniquity; but you have delivered your soul.

Location hidden

#10351 Mar 19, 2013
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Since none of that actually happened, what example was this? An example that God is a liar?
Glad I didn't say that.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#10352 Mar 19, 2013
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
GROW UP !!!!!
lol....lol....
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#10353 Mar 19, 2013
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
GROW UP !!!!!
It is obvious that you haven't opened the door....

Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me.

Since: Dec 09

Chicago, IL

#10354 Mar 19, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Without the fear of the Lord, there is no reason "in their hearts" to respect Him and obey Him.
Faithful service to God and obedience to Christ is rooted in the FEAR OF THE LORD.
Truth: "Faithful service to God and obedience to Christ is rooted in the FEAR OF THE LORD. "

Could you explain that?
Are you saying people serve God faithfully and obey Christ because they fear the Lord?
That people wouldn't be faithful and obedient if they didn't fear Him?
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#10355 Mar 19, 2013
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
God is not like man.

God doesnít lie.

God is not human, that he should lie,
not a human being, that he should change his mind.
Does he speak and then not act?
Does he promise and not fulfill?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
For Atheist, Agnostics, Whoever... 4 min Seentheotherside 495
If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 8 min Seentheotherside 1,015
The Heathen's Home Page (Jun '13) 1 hr Gary Coaldigger 4,519
Before The Big Bang 2 hr Khatru 1,242
Christians encouraged to 'sow seeds of a new po... 2 hr Seentheotherside 51
Is Paul a false Apostle? (Sep '13) 2 hr tahoegirl 2,357
Was Paul a False Apostle? (May '08) 3 hr JesusIsResurrection 2,969
More from around the web