Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?

There are 16103 comments on the news.yahoo.com story from Apr 27, 2009, titled Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?. In it, news.yahoo.com reports that:

The trouble they see is not just an America where general support for gay marriage will have driven a wedge between churches and the world, but between churches themselves.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at news.yahoo.com.

Since: Aug 08

Somewhere in Ireland

#7294 Feb 21, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
Of cours eit's hypocrisy. Backs are the biggest group of hypocrites in teh U.S.
And did you hear that Congressman Rev. Jesse Jackson Jr. AND his wife BOTH pled guilty to numerous federal felonies today and are going to spend some time in the federal slammer ?
Guess teh good ol Rev. forgot about (or just skipped over) that part in The Bible which says: "Thou shalt NOT steal".
Now if you had have said that many pastors have been caught putting their hand in the cookie jar when they shouldn't and have also been caught putting another part of their anatomy where it shouldn't be, then I would say you had a point about the hypocrisy of many pastors. But as you didn't say that, but put his hypocrisy down to being a black man, then the only point you have made is that you are a racist!

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#7296 Feb 21, 2013
Sola Scriptura wrote:
<quoted text>
I couldn't care less about your religion. I am a Christian and Christianity is NOT a religion. If you ever can begin to understand that you MIGHT start seeing the big picture.
I love how the most fundamentalist people shy away from "religion," the way Democrats shy away from "liberal." Christianity is a religion in the "a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices" sense ( http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rel... ). And "religious" is referring to "relating to or manifesting faithful devotion to an acknowledged ultimate reality or deity." ( http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rel... )

So, in short, the word games are cute, but ultimately dishonest. You have faithful devotion to an acknowledged deity, and you have a personal set of attitudes, beliefs, and practices based on that. You have religion. You are religious. As soon as you can stop being afraid of admitting what you are, you can start being honest. That would be so refreshing.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#7297 Feb 21, 2013
Sola Scriptura wrote:
<quoted text>
The whole bible is Gods Words.
What about Maccabbees? See, fundies are almost universally Protestants, so they don't use the King James version. But, if you can't demonstrate why a certain book that IS included in one version should not be included in EVERY version, then you have just as much reason to accept it as God's words, and thus you should be using the FULL Bible and not the truncated version.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#7299 Feb 21, 2013
Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
Racist.
No.

TRUTH.

“equality for ALL means ALL”

Since: Jan 07

Fort Lauderdale FL

#7300 Feb 21, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
TRUTH.
No.

RACISM.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#7301 Feb 21, 2013
Just The Facts wrote:
I am afraid you are in for a rude awakening when you stand before our Lord...
Oh really? And when will that be? Let me guess.... some point in time that you will never be able to verify. Your entire life is based on wishful thinking.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#7302 Feb 21, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Fricking idiot...lol.
Let's go over some things you're oblivious to in which a law didn't demand a minister to not teach/preach a topic, but the change of law affecting US citizens caused the ministers to quit preaching what they once believed in shall we?
How many US Christian religions can you find for me that still teach and preach the God given right to accept or reject the following. Supply the name of the Christian religion and minister. Please exclude out right practising racists like the KKK, the Aryan Brotherhood, the Black Panthers etc.
List for me 'normal' society accepted Christian religions that still teach and believe in the right to own slaves, to have segregation and discrimination among the races, preach against interracial marriage.
I'll save you the time of responding.'Normal' run of the mill Christian religions that once preached all these things as a persons right to be for or against, they keep their traps shut and don't say a word now. Why? Because laws were made to legalize or make illegal all those things mentioned. Ministers don't preach a right to own slaves, they don't preach the white man right to segregation and discrimination, they don't teach interracial marriages are wrong and not of God. Laws for those things made them shut their traps for fear of having the hostility of their community. But no law was ever enacted against those religions themselves to stop teaching/preaching what they had taught for centuries.
In Canada ministers had the freedom of religion to marry or not marry same sex couples at one time. Even after Canada allowed same sex marriage and homosexual rights, ministers could still refuse to wed same sex couples. Now a law demands that if you're a religious minister and can legally wed couples, as a minister in Canada they now by law HAVE TO WED OPPOSITE SEX AND SAME SEX COUPLES.
And you don't think that won't happen here in the US? lolol.... people use to claim the US government and or state governments would never allow same sex marriages....lolol....
If you don't realize that Canada and the USA have different constitutions, you have bigger problems than gay marriage.

Ministers are not required to marry ANYBODY in the USA. Our government does not and never has told any church what they can preach or teach. Have you completely forgotten about the first amendment? Or are you another one of those idiots that think there's no such thing as separation of church and State? Maybe your little scaredy-cat church friends respond to your fear-mongering lies, but I know better.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#7303 Feb 21, 2013
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
So you "believe" in God on the off chance that there might be one, one who will torture you for all eternity if you don't beileve?
That doesn't sound like real belief, just hedging your bets.
I believe in the God of the Bible Whom you don't. He lives.

Location hidden

#7304 Feb 21, 2013
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
Arrogant little think, aren't you?
Still drawing others to God with your kind and winsome ways.
Ezekiel 33:9 (KJV)
Just giving an opportunity to repent.

9 Nevertheless, if thou warn the wicked of his way to turn from it; if he do not turn from his way, he shall die in his iniquity; but thou hast delivered thy soul.

Location hidden

#7305 Feb 21, 2013
Thinking wrote:
So they're all sh!t, then.
<quoted text>
Glad I didn't say that about the Creator.

Location hidden

#7306 Feb 21, 2013
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
What does what you don't know have to do with anything?
It gives you an opportunity to prove your anti Bible beliefs.

Location hidden

#7307 Feb 21, 2013
Jazybird58 wrote:
<quoted text>OOOOps, your faulty thought process has made you stumble. Does that mean that you will be lopping of your head?
It means that you have been warned. Again. And your life gets shorter.

Location hidden

#7308 Feb 21, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Only if "god" is the sort of vicious boor that Yeshua came to bear witness that he wasn't.
Your ignorance of the Bible won't help you.

Location hidden

#7309 Feb 21, 2013
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh puh-leez. We all have the grave waiting for us. The "after life" is just wishful thinking.
And that's your opinion.

I don't wish you to go to the eternal fire. It's YOUR choice.

Location hidden

#7310 Feb 21, 2013
Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
PRAY MORE. You're lost.
According to whom? You ?

Location hidden

#7311 Feb 21, 2013
Rainbow Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
Then all of your 'bibles' have been modified and copyrighted by homophobes
GOD's Holy Word is in the Public Domain
GOD has never applied for a copyright
The Bible condemns you to Hell. You have been warned. It's quite simple.

Location hidden

#7312 Feb 21, 2013
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Pascal's Wager?
Suppose your worship of the wrong God displeases the real God?
Suppose your belief in the Bible displeases the real God?
Suppose your behaviors based upon your beliefs are displeasing to the real God.
Then what?
You don't even know who your god is. You lose forever.

“LIFE'S TO SHORT TO LET TOPIX”

Since: Aug 08

TROLLS GET YA DOWN:-)

#7313 Feb 21, 2013
dollarsbill wrote:
<quoted text>
It means that you have been warned. Again. And your life gets shorter.
A shorter life must mean we have learned all that we need to have learned:
WHY DOGS LIVE LESS THAN HUMAN ? ANSWER OF A 6 YEAR OLD

This story Melt My heart I wanna Share it ! Must read .

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog’s owners, Ron, his wife Lisa, and their little boy Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn’t do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker ‘s family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.

The little boy seemed to accept Belker’s transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker’s Death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives. Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up,”I know why.”

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I’d never heard a more comforting explanation. It has changed the way I try and live.

He said,”People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life — like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?” The Six-year-old continued,

”Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don’t have to stay as long.”

Live simply.

Love generously.

Care deeply.

Speak kindly.

Remember, if a dog was the teacher you would learn things like:

When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.

Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.

Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure Ecstasy.

Take naps.

Stretch before rising.

Run, romp, and play daily.

Thrive on attention and let people touch you.

Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.

On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.

On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.

When you’re happy, dance around and wag your entire body.

Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.

Be loyal.

Never pretend to be something you’re not.

If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.

When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by, and nuzzle them gently.

ENJOY EVERY MOMENT OF EVERY DAY!

Please share
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#7314 Feb 21, 2013
dollarsbill wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible condemns you to Hell. You have been warned. It's quite simple.
I'm not a fundie

Location hidden

#7315 Feb 21, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
A shorter life must mean we have learned all that we need to have learned:
It means that the eternal fire is upon you. You will lose EVERYTHING.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Would Jesus have attended a Gay Wedding? 5 min blacklagoon 2,048
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 9 min Truth Doctor 4,380
Christian Fundamentalism 41 min Truth Doctor 64
News Republic of Ireland votes for equal marriage 1 hr Fire Wall 81
apokalypsis (May '09) 3 hr Halycon 1,125
Is Paul a false Apostle? (Sep '13) 4 hr dollarsbill 3,561
25 THINGS THE BIBLE FORBIDS BUT WE STILL DO - i... 4 hr Liam R will return 213
Christians: Is this really Christian theology? 6 hr Allen Richards 123
Challenge to all Christians 7 hr dollarsbill 385
More from around the web