Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against ...

Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?

There are 16101 comments on the news.yahoo.com story from Apr 27, 2009, titled Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?. In it, news.yahoo.com reports that:

The trouble they see is not just an America where general support for gay marriage will have driven a wedge between churches and the world, but between churches themselves.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at news.yahoo.com.

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#4456 Feb 8, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't care what your god, Satan, tells you. He's the great accuser of my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ. Satan has lost......it's over for him and his demons......so he just wants to deceive as many humans as he can to follow him to eternal Hell.
No one has to go to Hell. Jesus has paid the price for sin when He died on the cross and rose from the grave. His sinless blood has redeemed all that come to Him for salvation.
No one's going to hell, no matter what you believe or try to condemn others to.....YOU'RE NOT GOD, just a mere mortal man who isn't even close to being like Jesus........and your religious rhetoric of being holier than thou is beyond boring!!!

Oh and Jesus didn't die on the cross either......according to Roman laws and customs anyone being crucified before Passover had to be dead before sunset on the third day......Jesus was still alive and hanging on to life.....so, he was taken down from the cross and poisoned!!!!

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#4457 Feb 8, 2013
not ashamed wrote:
<quoted text>
Just being a non believer does not mean you follow Satan. If you don't believe in Jesus Christ, then you also don't believe in Satan. How can you be a follower of something you don't believe in?
Do you know why a large portion of society no longer believes in Christ? Mostly because of people like you. Why would they see the example you set as a Christian and be inclined to follow you?
If you truly care about the welfare of souls, you should probably change your approach.
My guess is you simply don't care.
I don't imagine Romans' religion is driving out Christians in droves but the young people see the hypocracy of his position and just avoid religion altogether.

“Jesus=only way into Heaven”

Since: Nov 12

saved by grace through faith

#4458 Feb 8, 2013
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
You're not even a pretend Christian so Nettie and I've got it over on you.
I don't care what heathen unbeliever trolls think about me. I know that I'm a saved, born again, child of the living God.

“Wear white at night.”

Albuquerque

#4459 Feb 8, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
You and Nettie don't even understand your own play Catholic religion. The "I'm not a Catholic but I play one on Topix" routine has failed miserably.
Seeing as how I'm enrolled in the list of pillars of the congregation and seeing as how I got on TV for a brief second last week for going to Santa Fe in defense of human dignity and seeing as how a whole bunch of other stuff you will find a lot of people around here who vehemently disagree with you including two priests.

Fun Fact: It turns out making a thousand tamales isn't that big a deal. Five people could knock them out in a day and still have plenty of time to go to Mass.

Other Fun Fact: We had to throw in the towel this noon at our flea market to help the starving Tarahumara Indians in Chihuahua because the wind gusts were hitting forty.

What have you been up to?

“No Allah: know peace”

Since: Jun 07

A sacred grove in Tujunga, CA

#4460 Feb 8, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
And repetitive fools at that. Next up will be the.... "bible says the earth is a flat circle" posts again.
Well, it does. The exact translation of Isaiah 40:22 is of a flat disc shaped object, not a sphere.

Too bad reality is not your friend.
Romans Road wrote:
How anyone can turn the great friendship story of David and Jonathan into some perverted gay sex act is beyond comprehensible!
There is nothing in there that says anything about any perverted sex, just two gay men, one of whom is specifically mentioned as having an orgasm during their embrace.
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#4461 Feb 8, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
More to the point: no churches are being forced to perform same-sex marriage ceremonies, despite the claims that it would happen.
not yet.

“I will not keep calm”

Since: Mar 08

Raise hell...change the world

#4462 Feb 8, 2013
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't imagine Romans' religion is driving out Christians in droves but the young people see the hypocracy of his position and just avoid religion altogether.
I would agree with you on that to a point. I was raised baptist. My mother is baptist and my father episcapaleon. Though, I never saw my dad go to church even once. I converted to Mormonism when I was 15. My daddy passed away in January and just a week or two before that he called me and approached the subject of religion. He wanted me to know that he was proud of me for making my own decisions when it came to my religious views.
He also told me that while he believed in God, he was never a fan of organized religion and he mentioned that the reason why was because of the " christians" that act just like roman. I also dont believe it drives people out in droves, but it certainly doesnt bring people in either.
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#4463 Feb 8, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
But, they all say that THEIRS is true, too. All of you can't possibly be right. But, you CAN all be wrong. The odds of all of you being wrong are much better than the odds of any one of you being right. I'll play the odds.
One thing we know about your beliefs is they are wrong. No odds needed.
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#4464 Feb 8, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
You and Nettie don't even understand your own play Catholic religion. The "I'm not a Catholic but I play one on Topix" routine has failed miserably.
What's worse: an atheist or a gutless Roman Catholic?

#4465 Feb 8, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
The state has no compelling interest to allow same sex marriage and yet it wants to. Same sex marriages don't procreate naturally so they it does not benefit society. Now that marriage is being redefined we should expect to see all kinds of different marriages. In plural marriages can procreate. Even incest relationships can.
The grounds for same sex marriage is on very shaky legal grounds.
Wrong, yet again. The state has an overwhelmingly compelling reason to permit same sex marriages: it is REQUIRED to do so under the Constitution. So quite the contrary of your claim, the only shaky legal grounds are under those that want to make laws promoting their bigotry - you and yours...

“Jesus=only way into Heaven”

Since: Nov 12

saved by grace through faith

#4466 Feb 8, 2013
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, it does. The exact translation of Isaiah 40:22 is of a flat disc shaped object, not a sphere.
Too bad reality is not your friend.
<quoted text>
There is nothing in there that says anything about any perverted sex, just two gay men, one of whom is specifically mentioned as having an orgasm during their embrace.
Back to this idiotic "dumb and dumber" routine again? Don't any of you unbelievers even have a little, tiny, shred of a braincell left?

“Wear white at night.”

Albuquerque

#4467 Feb 8, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't care what heathen unbeliever trolls think about me. I know that I'm a saved, born again, child of the living God.
You don't know you're saved. Since you don't care what people think about you I guess it's OK to tell you they think you're the dumbest fundie in the forum.

“Wear white at night.”

Albuquerque

#4468 Feb 8, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
One thing we know about your beliefs is they are wrong. No odds needed.
Jeff, you were the front runner for a while but Romans is on a roll and it looks like he's going to take home the tiara. Tough break.
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#4469 Feb 8, 2013
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong, yet again. The state has an overwhelmingly compelling reason to permit same sex marriages: it is REQUIRED to do so under the Constitution. So quite the contrary of your claim, the only shaky legal grounds are under those that want to make laws promoting their bigotry - you and yours...
Where in the Constitution is same sex marriage a right?

#4470 Feb 8, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
Job 26:7- He stretcheth out the north over the empty place, and hangeth the earth upon nothing.
Isaiah 40:21-22
21 Have ye not known? have ye not heard? hath it not been told you from the beginning? have ye not understood from the foundations of the earth?
22 It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:
Proverbs 8:27- When he prepared the heavens, I was there: when he set a compass upon the face of the depth:
----------
Circle, compass = Strong's H2329 - chuwg
Silly, ignorant child, the word chuwg means flat disc. The word "compass" refers to the device used to draw a circle, and is formed using the root word chuwg.

You will continue to lose every argument as long as you insist on worshiping the Bible rather than reading it for comprehension. The simple fact is, you cannot force it to mean what you want it to mean, it continues to say what it says.
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#4471 Feb 8, 2013
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't know you're saved. Since you don't care what people think about you I guess it's OK to tell you they think you're the dumbest fundie in the forum.
You have that title already.
paul SHYKORA arts

Calgary, Canada

#4472 Feb 8, 2013
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
...DO NOT...''INSULT'' the real name of My ..Dalai Lama...eh...!!....I's met his holliness in person...eh...

#4473 Feb 8, 2013
Fitz wrote:
<quoted text>h,
Im sure you can pick through my typo's and get the general point.
I think its more likley that you can respond with any kind of counter argument because the fact are simply not on your side.
FYI - Both religious and secular athorities, the educated and the non-educated... thought the world to be a "flat" in the sense you speak of it. This did not come from religion nor was it propagated by religion as part of its belief system.
Wrong. The ancient Greeks calculated the diameter of a SPHERICAL Earth back in the 3rd century BCE. This was based on theoretical concepts that went back to the 6th century BCE.
paul SHYKORA arts

Calgary, Canada

#4474 Feb 8, 2013
..well..I's living ,here TODAY,in the moment...eh..

#4475 Feb 8, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
I wasn't speaking of those issues.
Life designed most males to be male and most females to be female. We humans are doing our best to change those parameters designed by life through our DNA.
Females are becoming more masculine and males are becoming more feminine. And our societies are making those subtle changes. Is it a good thing? Is it a bad thing? Or is it part of life's way of evolving the human species into something new, that it hasn't been for thousands of years when men were men and women were women. Only the future will know.
I don't know that I would call it evolution. As I see it, it is mostly a result of us no longer living the hunter/gatherer lifestyle that we evolved in. There, it made sense for men to be bigger and stronger so they could go hunt and carry the meat back from long distances. But that is no longer true. Men don't need to be big and buff to earn good livings. Indeed, it is the scrawny little geeks that earn the huge paychecks.

Of course, one thing that men can't do that women can is breastfeeding the baby. But then, these days there are machines that allow a woman to pump and store her milk...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Was Paul a False Apostle? (May '08) 14 min KAB 5,592
Why do you really believe in a god? 22 min KAB 654
News Religion, higher education and critical thinking (Aug '15) 44 min rog 8,369
Cookie's Place (Oct '13) 47 min janeebee 20,083
Evidence Against God 50 min KAB 3,943
Jesus did not claim to be God 53 min rog 2
Christians made Jesus God, turnaround and call ... 2 hr Barnsweb 15
Let's have a discussion, HG. (Oct '12) 7 hr GodSmacked 189
GS, defend this defamation of my character with... (Oct '12) 8 hr GodSmacked 975
More from around the web