Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?

Apr 27, 2009 Full story: news.yahoo.com 16,105

The trouble they see is not just an America where general support for gay marriage will have driven a wedge between churches and the world, but between churches themselves.

Full Story

“God Loves Ilks!”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#2453 Feb 1, 2013
BOLD wrote:
***What is the point in arguing over the FACT that it is plain wrong and disgusting to support a SIN so destructive to our human race.***The devil wants more than anything to bring down the GOOD MORALS in this COUNTRY, making liars and deceivers of all those that uphold this truly sicking "SIN" that Our Lord and Savior forbids and will not allow into the Kingdom.***NOW! think me crazy and a bigot, or judgmental and even some would accuse me of hatred.***The only thing I hate is sin, abd God hates sin as well.***No getting around the FACT. Homosexuality is a deadly sin, and no one can get into Heaven unless they repent of it and turn their lives around to living a straight life before God Almighty.***Christians can judge SIN anytime, they are never haters of the person, only the sin.*** My Opinion, my convictions.***My Belief***
Wednesday, October 10, 2012
`Why do so many Catholics support marriage equality?'

From a column in the National Catholic Reporter by Jamie Manson:

The Roman Catholic Church bases its teaching on homosexuality on its interpretation of natural law, arguing that all sex acts must take place within the state of marriage and must have the potential to procreate.

But the Catholic imagination sees God everywhere, believes that God reveals Godself in all things and understands God can work through any human being or human relationship. By insisting that genital complementarity is an absolute requirement for marriage, the hierarchy places limits on God's power to work within all of the relationships of all God's beloved children.

Those who possess a sacramental view of the world often realize that any human person or relationship that brings love, mercy, forgiveness, kindness, generosity or faithfulness into the world is a sign of God's grace. Perhaps this is the reason so many Catholics defend marriage equality: They have recognized these graces can come forth as much through same-sex couples as heterosexual couples. Those who have a Catholic imagination recognize that a couple's ability to enter into a marriage commitment is not contingent on their anatomies, but on the depth, strength and fruitfulness of their bond.

“No Allah: know peace”

Since: Jun 07

A sacred grove in Tujunga, CA

#2454 Feb 1, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong. Children are deeply influenced in their sexuality by their parents. This is an opportunity for you to get beyond your stupid-think.
Yes. That is the very definition of genetics: being deeply influenced by one's parents. Learned behaviors can also be influenced as well, such as the way one treats one's spouse, how one goes about finding a date, etc.
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#2456 Feb 1, 2013
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. That is the very definition of genetics: being deeply influenced by one's parents. Learned behaviors can also be influenced as well, such as the way one treats one's spouse, how one goes about finding a date, etc.
Good points. Parents must be discerning for the sake of their children. We can learn new things even as adults.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#2457 Feb 1, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
That is quite a generalization. I know plenty of Christians who believe these things i.e. "evolution and the Big Bang theory, global warming and just about anything that is science related." I could probably find a number of atheist who deny these things to.
What is the origin of sexual orientation?
You don't have to be religious to screw up the planet. Most do it out of greed and ignorance and not for religious reasons.
FINALLY! An area where we can agree.

If observations of nonhuman species that pairbond is any indicator, it derives from structure in our brains that are NOT uniquely human.
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#2458 Feb 1, 2013
snyper wrote:
Jane Dodo wrote:
"No they aren't. If that were true, why do I have three straight siblings?"
<quoted text>
First off, you have no way of knowing that.
Secondly, orientation isn't the same as expressions of it.
You remain hetero (I presume) even in your dreams.
She asked, I answered.:) Orientation can be expressed but that does not mean its good or bad. Some orientation are not good.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#2459 Feb 1, 2013
Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
We've been over this before.
The ONLY reason the word sodomite TODAY refers to anal sex is because people mistook the story of the city of Sodom to be about anal sex. The city was not named for anal sex. The word was co-opted after the fact.
Do your research on word origins. They don't always make sense. And you sound like an ignorant little kid claiming that because we call something by a certain name, you know what it means. Did you also think hot dogs were named after dachsunds because we call dachsunds hot dogs?
Dummy.
Sodom and Gomorrah now lay buried under the dead sea.

#2460 Feb 1, 2013
Born_Again_Christian wrote:
Tony,
Look up the word abomination and all the consequences that go along with your homosexual lifestyle that God abhors. Plagues are brought on groups because of their sexual sins. Bad part of that is the innocent also get affected by these plagues. That is why we have STD'S and AIDS. These are sexual STD'S caused by going outside of the boundaries God made for sex. God says sex is for marriage between a man and a woman and if you are going to play with fire you will get burned.
<quoted text>
Funny thing, the word translated as "abomination" in Leviticus 18:22 & 20:13 is the word <tow'ebah>, which is ALWAYS used to refer to things that are abominations BECAUSE they are part of the worship of a foreign God.

Homosexuality is EXACTLY on par with weeping.

Ezekiel 8:13 He said also unto me, Turn thee yet again, and thou shalt see greater abominations that they do.
8:14 Then he brought me to the door of the gate of the LORD's house which was toward the north; and, behold, there sat women weeping for Tammuz.

Weeping, as part of the worship of the dead and resurrected Tammuz, is an abomination. Weeping in general, is not. Homosexuality, as part of the fertility rituals of the Goddes Asherah, is an abomination. Homosexuality in general, is not.

#2461 Feb 1, 2013
Nettiebelle wrote:
<quoted text>I have already proved it!
There is no way that the Holy Spirit leads thousands of different churches who teach various interpretations of scripture.
Someone is wrong; in fact, many are wrong!
There is only one uniform teaching of the Bible that qualifies and that is the Catholic Church, who was given the AUTHORITY to interpret scripture by Jesus Himself!.
Um, sorry. But the Catholic Church is Christian, and therefore by definition is wrong in its interpratation of Scripture.

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#2462 Feb 1, 2013
Not Yet Equal
Seems the animal experts disagree with you concerning homosexuality being the real reason a male dog mounts another. Seems a lot of the animals do it because of dominance not because of sexual orientation. Homosexuality is an abomination and no matter how many excuses you find to stay in homosexuality it is wrong in God's eyes and even the animal kingdom does not recognize a sexual orientation but rather dominance. This is their way of having dominance over one another.
While dogs are known to occasionally display homosexual behavior, animal experts say a male dog mounting another male dog is not a sign of sexual orientation but rather a sign of dominance.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-22711 ...
<quoted text>
Dogs are only one of the 1500 plus species studied. Others form live long pair bonds. Again:

"Animals that live a completely homosexual life can also be found. This occurs especially among birds that will pair with one partner for life, which is the case with geese and ducks. Four to five percent of the couples are homosexual. Single females will lay eggs in a homosexual pair's nest. It has been observed that the homosexual couple are often better at raising the young than heterosexual couples."
http://www.news-medical.net/news/2006/10/23/2 ...

“equality for ALL means ALL”

Since: Jan 07

Fort Lauderdale FL

#2463 Feb 1, 2013
Snyper,
If you are stupid enough to believe an animal can be homosexual then you are really gullible.
According to a recent article I read of a dog going to be put down to sleep because it was showing homosexual tendencies a person said that animals to do things like this to show their more dominant than the other.
While dogs are known to occasionally display homosexual behavior, animal experts say a male dog mounting another male dog is not a sign of sexual orientation but rather a sign of dominance.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-22711...
<quoted text>
Of course there are gay animals.

You insult us by coming here so unprepared.

You're already on the internet. USE IT.

Fort Lauderdale FL

#2464 Feb 1, 2013
OKAY wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently easier said than done.
Gay author Gabriel Rotello notes the perspective of many gays that “Gay liberation was founded ... on a ‘sexual brotherhood of promiscuity,’ and any abandonment of that promiscuity would amount to a ‘communal betrayal of gargantuan proportions.’”1 Rotello’s perception of gay promiscuity, which he criticizes, is consistent with survey results. A far-ranging study of homosexual men published in 1978 revealed that 75 percent of self-identified, white, gay men admitted to having sex with more than 100 different males in their lifetime: 15 percent claimed 100-249 sex partners; 17 percent claimed 250- 499; 15 percent claimed 500-999; and 28 percent claimed more than 1,000 lifetime male sex partners.2 By 1984, after the AIDS epidemic had taken hold, homosexual men were reportedly curtailing promiscuity, but not by much. Instead of more than 6 partners per month in 1982, the average non-monogamous respondent in San Francisco reported having about 4 partners per month in 1984.3
In more recent years, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control has reported an upswing in promiscuity, at least among young homosexual men in San Francisco. From 1994 to 1997, the percentage of homosexual men reporting multiple partners and unprotected anal sex rose from 23.6 percent to 33.3 percent, with the largest increase among men under 25.4 Despite its continuing incurability, AIDS no longer seems to deter individuals from engaging in promiscuous gay sex.5 A 2003 U. S.- based, Urban Men’s Health Study, reported that over 30% of the homosexual men studied frequented bathhouses with an average of 27 partners per year.6 In a 2003 study, Amsterdam “singles” averaged 22 casual partners/year, while those with a “steady partner” averaged eight (8).7 The average duration of partnerships was 1.5 years. In a 2005 Canadian vaccine trial, homosexual individuals reported 7 partners in the last 6 months.8
The data relating to gay promiscuity were obtained from self-identified gay men. Some advocates argue that the average would be lower if closeted homosexuals were included in the statistics.9 That is likely true, according to data obtained in a 2000 survey in Australia that tracked whether men who had sex with men were associated with the gay community. Men who were associated with the gay community were nearly four times as likely to have had more than 50 sex partners in the six months preceding the survey as men who were not associated with the gay community.10 This may imply that it is riskier to be “out” than “closeted.” Adopting a gay identity may create more pressure to be promiscuous and to be so with a cohort of other more promiscuous partners.
Why don't you stop quoting crap and start asking the gay people here with you some honest and sincere questions?

Fort Lauderdale FL

#2465 Feb 1, 2013
Norcal Native,
You do not get to decide what the Word of God is or is not.
Nor do you. However we know for a fact there is no original bible on the earth.

If God wanted to preserve the original bible, HE could have. He chose not to do so.

That would seem to indicate that He had a reason for that. We can only speculate what that reason might be, but my best guess is so that we could LEARN and grow on our own. Just like He gave us free will, He did not give us a precise instruction manual on how to live, so ninnies like you could beat it over all our heads.

There is no complete, inerrant bible on earth. If you truly wanted to follow God, you wouldn't be afraid of that. You would be looking for truth, not for things to support your preconceived notions.

You are the opposite of Christian.

#2466 Feb 1, 2013
LowellGuy
My Bible is based on the Hebrew and it has English underneath the actual Hebrew text. It shows me first what the Hebrew says and then what the English meaning is for the Hebrew. You have no proof it has been altered and until you do I will trust this Bible. In fact I proved last night it was Liam that altered the Hebrew and said exceeded had to do with David and Jonathon getting a hard on when in fact in the Hebrew exceeded for the passages under David and Jonathan has nothing to do with a sexual content. They were close friends not lovers as some homosexuals claim.
<quoted text>
Having the Hebrew in front of you is pointless if you can't read the Hebrew. CAn you even find Ha'Shem in your Bible?

Oh, and strictly speaking, the passage says that David had an orgasm, it does not actually say that Johnathan did. We can only hope that David was a considerate enough lover to make sure that his partner achieved gadol as well...

Location hidden

#2467 Feb 1, 2013
Snyper,
You do not follow the Holy Spirit of truth cause if you did you would not deny of the word of God. God inspired all scripture.
<quoted text>
Please supply the Koine word that specifically denotes "sacred writing" as opposed to just any writing to an essentially illiterate period of human history.

Good luck with that one.

btw: that is, again, one of the Sauline anthology, 2 Timothy, a highly disputed work and for very good reasons, not the least of which are significant textual variations ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Textual_variants...

I would not deny the "word(s) of God", but while the anthologies both contain them, they are not themselves "the word of God" in whole or in part.

They are made by human hands, and do not deserve to be venerated as the pharisees did.

Except for prophetic utterences, inspiration is not dictation.

Fort Lauderdale FL

#2468 Feb 1, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>Its like eating. We are born with the desire to eat. Parents encourage and make their children eat food that is good for them. They will discourage junk food. In regards to sex that comes years later. Parents will encourage the thriving of their children's gender. Boys play with boys and girls with girls for the most part.
That was not an answer.

How did you, personally, decide to be straight?

In order to make a decision, you have to have more than one option. So you would have to be attracted to both men and women, but actively reject one in favor for the other, out of some kind of moral imperative.

So how did you do that? Because if you didn't do that, then you didn't choose.

Fort Lauderdale FL

#2469 Feb 1, 2013
Tony,
This is how I know you are not born again because you deny the Bible as the word of God 100 percent which makes you Satan's child.
<quoted text>
There is no "THE" bible. There are so many bibles!

#2470 Feb 1, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
A person who is left handed can be taught to be right-handed. A person can discipline themselves to change.
Wrong. A lefty can be forced to use the wrong hand, but they are still a lefty trying to manage with the wrong hand. A former girlfriend was a lefty, and for a time in grade school they tried to force her to use her right hand. The only thing that it accoplished was to make her skip school whenever she could, and to resent the idiot teachers for trying to screw her up.

Location hidden

#2471 Feb 1, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Self-control....
And knowing the difference between right and wrong...
So you were born bi.

If a right/wrong thought system gives your life meaning, fine. It's yours. You can play with it all you want.

Others may not want to.

Location hidden

#2472 Feb 1, 2013
Tony
No, I worship the God of the Bible. The Bible is his word to me to show me and every Christian how to live. Again, you would know this if you were a real Christian.
<quoted text>
Correction:... if you were a pharisee who's been taught to think that is "christian".

#2473 Feb 1, 2013
LowellGuy,
Why do you twist the scriptures? God never told Christians they could not eat shrimp, but he did tell that to the Jews. Jews are not Christians. Now Jews have left and become Christians and they are called Messianic Jews.
Homosexuality is an abomination because it is a sexual sin and Jesus said it is not what goes into the mouth that defiles you, but what comes out of it. Oh, and for your information I do not eat shrimp.
<quoted text>
Well, if the God of the Bible is the inspired source for the Bible, then He told ALL of His followers that the Laws of Moses, INCLUDING the ban on shrimp, where to be follwed FOR EVER.

And Jesus said that you are not defiled by eating, because the penalty for that sin is to go bathe, and sit in the corner for the rest of the day. What comes out of your mouth (and I do mean YOUR mouth) is blasphemy, which defiles your soul.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Are World Events Pointing to End Times 58 min Jake999 1,011
Do You Support Military Action Against ISIS 1 hr Saint Peter of In... 138
Why would God not tell the Jews about hell or t... 2 hr 15th Dalai Lama 709
+++++++ THE THIEVES of GLORY +++++++ 2 hr KimBoe 11
Is the Bible always literally true or correct? 3 hr 15th Dalai Lama 3,122
Was Paul a False Apostle? (May '08) 4 hr Old GT 2,176
I don't understand 5 hr Barnsweb 38
Who stole the keys to Heaven? 9 hr Laci Ann 7 565
•••

Christian People Search