Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 675425 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

7th Day Catholic Rocks

Poplar Bluff, MO

#423134 Feb 17, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
But what about Saint Ignatius of Antioch who was the generation before Justin, and DID hear the word from the Apostles? Were HIS writings corrupted too?
"wherever the Bishop appears, there let the people be, as wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church. It is not lawful to Baptize or give communion without the consent of the Bishop. On the other hand, whatever has his approval is pleasing to God, thus will be safe and valid"
Or
"take note to those who hold heterodox opinions on the grace of Jesus Christ who has come to us. They refrain from the Eucharist because they do not confess the Eucharist is the flesh of Our Lord Jesus Christ. Flesh which suffered for our sins and the Father, in His goodness, raised up again. They who deny this gift are perishing in their disputes"
You can't deny that this is what the Apostles taught. This is exactly why the Catholic and Orthodox still believe this 2,000 yrs later and will not bow down to any of the thousands of private interpreters tellin us 'we got it all wrong'. You guys are like little buzzerds picking apart the Holy Church from every angle imaginable. It reeks of something evil- although you yourself may not be evil -you're inadvertently being pawns of the Devil by trying to tear apart his arch enemy.
Ignatius of Antioch
Also called Theophorus (ho Theophoros); born in Syria, around the year
50; died at Rome between 98 and 117.
More than one of the earliest ecclesiastical writers have given
credence, though apparently without good reason, to the legend that
Ignatius was the child whom the Savior took up in His arms, as
described in Mark 9:35. It is also believed, and with great
probability, that, with his friend Polycarp, he was among the auditors
of the Apostle St. John. If we include St. Peter, Ignatius was the
third Bishop of Antioch and the immediate successor of Evodius
(Eusebius, Church History II.3.22). Theodoret ("Dial. Immutab.", I,
iv, 33a, Paris, 1642) is the authority for the statement that St.
Peter appointed Ignatius to the See of Antioch. St. John Chrysostom
lays special emphasis on the honor conferred upon the martyr in
receiving his episcopal consecration at the hands of the Apostles
themselves ("Hom. in St. Ig.", IV. 587). Natalis Alexander quotes
Theodoret to the same effect (III, xii, art. xvi, p. 53).
7Th Day writes:

We most ceertianly know He could not have set in Jesus's lap if he was born in 50 A.D.
LOL

By the time Igntius would have been grown or become the age of 30 the Apostle John would have already been in custody of Rome and being exiled to the island of Patmos.

The above would apply to the following as well.

Polycarp (69 – 155)

It is recorded by Irenaeus, who heard him speak in his youth, and by Tertullian,[3] that he had been a disciple of John the Apostle.[4][5] Saint Jerome wrote that Polycarp was a disciple of John and that John had ordained him bishop of Smyrna.

Peter very doubtful that he even knew Ignautis and biblically a Priest was usually not ordained til 30 or even considered til the age of 25.
He was born about 1 B.C. and died sometime around A.D. 67.
Read more: http://www.whatchristianswanttoknow.com/apost...
LTM

Marathon, Canada

#423135 Feb 17, 2013
Daily Bible Reading from BibleStudyTools.com

February 7, 2013 - King James Version

Hebrews 3:1-19
1 Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus; 2 Who was faithful to him that appointed him, as also Moses was faithful in all his house. 3 For this man was counted worthy of more glory than Moses, inasmuch as he who hath builded the house hath more honour than the house. 4 For every house is builded by some man; but he that built all things is God. 5 And Moses verily was faithful in all his house, as a servant, for a testimony of those things which were to be spoken after ; 6 But Christ as a son over his own house; whose house are we, if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end. 7 Wherefore (as the Holy Ghost saith , To day if ye will hear his voice, 8 Harden not your hearts, as in the provocation, in the day of temptation in the wilderness: 9 When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my works forty years. 10 Wherefore I was grieved with that generation, and said , They do alway err in their heart; and they have not known my ways. 11 So I sware in my wrath, They shall not enter into my rest.) 12 Take heed , brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God. 13 But exhort one another daily , while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin. 14 For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end; 15 While it is said , To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation. 16 For some, when they had heard , did provoke : howbeit not all that came out of Egypt by Moses. 17 But with whom was he grieved forty years? was it not with them that had sinned , whose carcases fell in the wilderness? 18 And to whom sware he that they should not enter into his rest, but to them that believed not ? 19 So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.
Hebrews 4:1-13
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#423136 Feb 17, 2013
Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
No Dan, it is not "drivel". The NT does in fact "provide instructions" on "how Christ's church was to be organized." Some just choose to ignore it and instead operate in the 'new and improved' way man feels is best.
Pay attention to the verses below. You will notice I have left out Pope's and Cardinals and whatever else you might be aware of in the Catholic church. Had those offices been mentioned in the Bible I would've included them as a part of the Biblical organization of the church.
1 Tim. 3:1-13
Titus 1:5-9
1 Pet. 5:1-5
Eph. 4:11-16
Heb. 13: 7, 17
Acts 14:23, 11:30, 15:2, 4, 6, 22-23, 16:4, 20:17, 21:18
James 5:14
1 Pet. 5:1, 5
1 Tim. 5:17, 19
John 10:1-19
Matt: 20:20-28
1 Thess. 5:12
Sometimes I wish the Roman Catholic Church didn't divide the Bible into verses. Although its very useful to us at worship in the Mass, its caused you guys to only see verse verse verse. You guys isolate these particular verses and often ignore everything before and after it. You even use one (John 6:63) to undo previous verses.

This has led to countless sects/cults who've spawned by isolating verses. One example is "call no man father". Its detached from the previous message about this subject and isolated from whole of the Bible.
The list goes on. I would encourage you to read your bible without the numbering system. And I really encourage you to NOT take those numbers and sling em at your fellow Christians.
7th Day Catholic Rocks

Poplar Bluff, MO

#423137 Feb 17, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
who were the Saints bringing the prayers before God in the book of Revelation?
After the Apostles died, many heretics arose (under the guidance of the Devil). They began preaching whatever they wanted about Jesus. most of it fizzled away; it didn't stick. Some of it came back 1,600 yrs later. It still doesn't stick, Confrint.
When people were confused after the Apostles died, they looked to the newest Bishops who were disciples of the Apostles. Ignatius, Polycarp, and Clement of Rome. They had the authority to decide what was valid. They walked with the Apostles and new them personally. The Holy Spirit steered them to truth. After they died, the Holy Spirit did the same with the next group.
Would Christ have it any other way? Would He have a conspiracy ministry until the Ellen Smith arrived 1800 yrs later??
You need to read what the Apostolic fathers thought about Christianity - since they had the luxury of hearing the Gospel in detail from the Apostles mouths.
Catholicbridge.com/catholic/early_church_fath...
Now that is funny.
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#423138 Feb 17, 2013
7th Day Catholic Rocks wrote:
<quoted text>
Ignatius of Antioch
Also called Theophorus (ho Theophoros); born in Syria, around the year
50; died at Rome between 98 and 117.
More than one of the earliest ecclesiastical writers have given
credence, though apparently without good reason, to the legend that
Ignatius was the child whom the Savior took up in His arms, as
described in Mark 9:35. It is also believed, and with great
probability, that, with his friend Polycarp, he was among the auditors
of the Apostle St. John. If we include St. Peter, Ignatius was the
third Bishop of Antioch and the immediate successor of Evodius
(Eusebius, Church History II.3.22). Theodoret ("Dial. Immutab.", I,
iv, 33a, Paris, 1642) is the authority for the statement that St.
Peter appointed Ignatius to the See of Antioch. St. John Chrysostom
lays special emphasis on the honor conferred upon the martyr in
receiving his episcopal consecration at the hands of the Apostles
themselves ("Hom. in St. Ig.", IV. 587). Natalis Alexander quotes
Theodoret to the same effect (III, xii, art. xvi, p. 53).
7Th Day writes:
We most ceertianly know He could not have set in Jesus's lap if he was born in 50 A.D.
LOL
By the time Igntius would have been grown or become the age of 30 the Apostle John would have already been in custody of Rome and being exiled to the island of Patmos.
The above would apply to the following as well.
Polycarp (69 – 155)
It is recorded by Irenaeus, who heard him speak in his youth, and by Tertullian,[3] that he had been a disciple of John the Apostle.[4][5] Saint Jerome wrote that Polycarp was a disciple of John and that John had ordained him bishop of Smyrna.
Peter very doubtful that he even knew Ignautis and biblically a Priest was usually not ordained til 30 or even considered til the age of 25.
He was born about 1 B.C. and died sometime around A.D. 67.
Read more: http://www.whatchristianswanttoknow.com/apost...
Ah yes. Whatever it takes to shape you ideology...

Everybody lied. There was a great conspiracy! The anti Christ and the Beast were gearing up by infiltration of the church. It was all predicted by Nastrodamas lol!

I can't grasp what you're trying to convey? Are you sayin Ignatius WASN'T a student of the Apostles? That he just wrote things without proper understanding?
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#423139 Feb 17, 2013
7th Day Catholic Rocks wrote:
<quoted text>Now that is funny.
No its not funny 7th. Its utterly sad what you guys have conjured up about Christianity.

I believe you all have undid every single possible thing that the CC has taught from the beginning.

Your justification? The CC is the Whore of Babylon. The great beast, you must disagree with everything they teach at all cost.
Now, you USED to say the CC became corrupted under Constantine, when he changed worship to Sunday. Now you know he didn't have anything to do with it.
What say you now? Are you still gonna cling onto this lie?
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

#423140 Feb 17, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Sometimes I wish the Roman Catholic Church didn't divide the Bible into verses. Although its very useful to us at worship in the Mass, its caused you guys to only see verse verse verse. You guys isolate these particular verses and often ignore everything before and after it. You even use one (John 6:63) to undo previous verses.
This has led to countless sects/cults who've spawned by isolating verses. One example is "call no man father". Its detached from the previous message about this subject and isolated from whole of the Bible.
The list goes on. I would encourage you to read your bible without the numbering system. And I really encourage you to NOT take those numbers and sling em at your fellow Christians.
That was quite a generalization. I had to look John 6:63 up because I knew I had never "slung" it at anyone.

The verses I placed here are very much in context. They highlight the governance of the church. If you claim they are out of context perhaps you could make us a case for it. While your at it make a case for the Cardinals and other positions of influence within the Catholic Church to which we have never heard mentioned in scripture. The Inspired scriptures provide us the qualifications for Elders/Bishops and Deacons. Where does it provide us qualifications for all of the other Catholic positions?

What you will not admit is that the model we see in the NT for the church is a model for self-governing autonomous congregations of God's people that answer to NO ONE but God. All two people need to be given all the instructions for setting up Christ's church Christ's way is a Bible. Isn't that amazing! Why does man have to complicate that? For their own power and control?

To organize Christ's church any differently than the instructions we read about in scripture, which I just provided Dan, in context, is adding to or taking away from God's Word.

Simple stuff. Only man can complicate it.
Clay

Garden City, MI

#423141 Feb 17, 2013
Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
That was quite a generalization. I had to look John 6:63 up because I knew I had never "slung" it at anyone.
The verses I placed here are very much in context. They highlight the governance of the church. If you claim they are out of context perhaps you could make us a case for it. While your at it make a case for the Cardinals and other positions of influence within the Catholic Church to which we have never heard mentioned in scripture. The Inspired scriptures provide us the qualifications for Elders/Bishops and Deacons. Where does it provide us qualifications for all of the other Catholic positions?
What you will not admit is that the model we see in the NT for the church is a model for self-governing autonomous congregations of God's people that answer to NO ONE but God. All two people need to be given all the instructions for setting up Christ's church Christ's way is a Bible. Isn't that amazing! Why does man have to complicate that? For their own power and control?
To organize Christ's church any differently than the instructions we read about in scripture, which I just provided Dan, in context, is adding to or taking away from God's Word.
You think I'm supposed to believe all you need is a Bible to set up Christ's Church?

Lol. Well, my next obvious question is: which one of you 40,000 set it up the right way?
Clay

Garden City, MI

#423143 Feb 17, 2013
Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
The truth is, you don't just need a Bible to be a protestant (I know you don't think you're a protestant. You think you are a member of the original Church and the CC splintered off from you. Although that is historically ridiculous, its still cute Saban)
Anyway, you don't just need a Bible. You need a pre conceived ideology. Then, you form the Bible around your ideology.
truth

Morley, Australia

#423145 Feb 17, 2013
your mouse died
how many you sand
your cocorach died..Is he real?
o yes
Are you fill sorry?
Clay

Garden City, MI

#423147 Feb 17, 2013
. . . I'm not sorry for the double post. Its too important. Lol
truth

Morley, Australia

#423148 Feb 17, 2013
You say educated!!!
Please you told to me about gramma!
Yes..as you can see no grammar mama!!!
No big as well small letters!
Who is bigger or smaller between us.

'',''=its mean zarez on my language..on your coma.

Zarez '','' is grammatical correction which your people used in education.
Me I am not used that!
zar''e''z e=4in line 4
cancer,'
can cen cin con cun
co14;3
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#423149 Feb 17, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.philvaz.com/apologetics/num19.htm
truth

Morley, Australia

#423150 Feb 17, 2013
About what?!
truth

Morley, Australia

#423151 Feb 17, 2013
Did you see..why 22?
Free Mind

Melbourne, FL

#423152 Feb 17, 2013
The question of this thread is....

Why must Catholic theology deny the word "Church" to all other denominations?

What real world evidence do we have to justify such claim?

Are Catholic societies more just?

More educated?

Less violence?

Do Catholics commit fewer crimes?

Do Catholics demonstrate a lower rate of alcohol and drug abuse?

Are Catholic Priests -- with supposed mystical powers direct from Jesus -- more moral than other clergy?

It's been 1600 years. What are the facts? Where is the historical real-life evidence?

Before you attack 99% of America's Founders and the majority of Churches in the USA today...

Please tell us... WHERE'S THE BEEF
truth

Morley, Australia

#423153 Feb 17, 2013
e=5
bos cos dos fos gos+th
gosth
Free Mind

Melbourne, FL

#423154 Feb 17, 2013
1600 years of "perfect teachings" and "unique guidance" from Jesus...

And?

5% of humanity (maybe) saved "Jesus' truest" way and 90% of this tiny fraction are saved because they happen to be born into the right family and had it drilled into them by their parents.

Yep, Jesus limited his supreme sacrifice to 5% and the RCC has done a worthy job for 2000 years.

Why do Catholics insist on mocking Jesus like this?
hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#423155 Feb 17, 2013
Free Mind wrote:
Please tell us... WHERE'S THE BEEF
The BEEF, has,(for over 2000 years) is now (and has "never changed" and will "continue" to be, in the FULLNESS of the Faith and the FULLNESS of the TRUTH manifested in Jesus Christ HIMSELF, in His One (and only) TRUE Apostolic Catholic Church
Jesus Christ intitiated and established HIS ONE UNIVERSAL CHURCH. and OVER 2000 years of "proven, authenticated and verifable TRUE APOSTOLIC CHURCH HISTORY confirms it over and over and over again. Your "made-up", distorted and imaginative (myths) does not now, nor will (ever) change the TRUTH of TRUE Church History by Apologist Historian authors and writers (both Catholic and Protestant)
!!! Luther and the Protestant Reformation established denominations. There were no denominations before Luther came along. Now there are over 42,000+ denominations and the Catholic Church never was, never is, nor ever will be one of these contradicting, inconsistent, and conflicting denominations, that will ever agree on ANYTHING accept attacking and condemning the Historical and biblical TRUTH of Jesus Christ and His (One and only) TRUE Apostolic Catholic Church--(the bride of Christ).. You can "spin your wheels, spin the TRUTH, spin "church history-around in circles, like the "tea cups" at Disneyland which is designed to go "nowhere" just like your "personal opinionated" (BIBLE ONLY) distortion of the TRUTH of Jesus Christ and His One True Catholic Church------- also is "going nowhere"!!! God is not the author of your bible only 42,000 contradicting denominations of "confusion and chaos!!!!!
truth

Morley, Australia

#423156 Feb 17, 2013
Which one..holy or what?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Roman Catholic Church Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Will Islam Inherit the Earth? 8 min Frogface Kate 161
News 'The church is people': Rev. Peter Gregory prou... 12 hr DSS DCF CPS are M... 6
News Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) Sun namredipsobla 256,357
News Pope Francis meets 4 Imams to open a Christian-... Apr 21 Joe 30
News Faith Community Spotlight: Houtzdale's Christ t... Apr 20 Puppy 1
News German Bishops Rile Holocaust Memorial (Mar '07) Apr 20 joe scarborough 3,911
News Four more men accuse priest of sexual abuse (Jan '08) Apr 20 Fr Gene 1,662
More from around the web