Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Comments
21 - 40 of 539,421 Comments Last updated 4 min ago

Since: Apr 07

Waipahu, HI

#25 Jul 10, 2007
This makes me happy. If christians are busy fighting with each other, maybe they can leave the rest of us alone for a while.
Gunslinger

Montgomery, AL

#26 Jul 10, 2007
Sheryl wrote:
<quoted text>
Benedict has managed to make millions of people furious twice in a row in a very short time. He wants the prayer returned to Mass which calls for the conversion of the Jews because they're in "darkness"...then the prideful "vicar" publicly states that the Protestant churches aren't true churches at all and can't provide the means to salvation. I have never heard such uncharitable remarks from a pope. He needs a lesson in humility. He has hurt MANY people, but I'ms sure it won't bother him one bit...after all, he's the modern-day Jesus!
Yes, the Pope should deny his faith and say "Actually, any religion is OK...they're pretty much all the same". What are you smoking. Of course Catholocism is the only way to God. Why would the Pope say anything else. Are Muslim Clerics preaching that Mormons are right? Are Lutheran Ministers teaching that Scientology is OK? The Pope is just standing up for his beliefs. So sad, too bad if that offends heathens.

“Wherever you are, you're there”

Since: Feb 07

Ocala, FL

#27 Jul 10, 2007
Elizabeth wrote:
As someone who is catholic and was raised in the faith, I find this truly offensive that the Pope would make a statement like this. It is making me seriously consider leaving the church. As long as popele believe in God and the holy trinity, why does it matter whether they believe as catholics, methodists, lutherans, etc? I think Benedict has gone too far with this statement and I do believe it is going to hurt the catholic church in the long run.
I think it's because the Pope believes, as many may, that all christians should be together, not in seperate churches. Jesus started the church, who are we to leave it because we don't agree with this bad person in this church and that bad person, blah blah blah. We should all be together in worship, not different and separate. Yes?

“Wherever you are, you're there”

Since: Feb 07

Ocala, FL

#28 Jul 10, 2007
Gunslinger wrote:
Hell, I've been saying that Catholics are the only folks who do not piss God off for three months now. About time the Pope picked up on my lead.
That is pretty funny there guy. lol

Waipahu, HI

#29 Jul 11, 2007
Bonkysmom wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus started the church
No he didn't. That happened after his mythical death.

“kein Mitleid fur die Mehrheit”

Since: Dec 06

Allen Park, Michigan

#30 Jul 11, 2007
Troy wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact that you said that the Pope's statement is making you 'seriously consider leaving the church', just reinforces why it does matter whether people are Catholic, methodist, lutheran, etc. Spiritual relativsm is not new, you and those like you, who believe that the truth of what the Church teaches is somehow subject to whether you agree with it or not are exactly why the Pope is saying what he is saying. He's not saying something new, it's what the Church has ALWAYS taught! Your comments are just proving the points that the Pope made in the homily he gave at conclave before his election: http://www.oecumene.radiovaticana.org/en1/Art...
You would do well to read this and anyone else who may be guilty of "being tossed to and fro by every wave of doctrine"... Eph. 4:14
I see a person waking up to the fallacy of the Church.
Leo

United States

#31 Jul 11, 2007
Elizabeth wrote:
As someone who is catholic and was raised in the faith, I find this truly offensive that the Pope would make a statement like this. It is making me seriously consider leaving the church. As long as popele believe in God and the holy trinity, why does it matter whether they believe as catholics, methodists, lutherans, etc? I think Benedict has gone too far with this statement and I do believe it is going to hurt the catholic church in the long run.
For the same reason they keep hiding child rapists - to protect their own power.
Leo

United States

#32 Jul 11, 2007
Gunslinger wrote:
Hell, I've been saying that Catholics are the only folks who do not piss God off for three months now. About time the Pope picked up on my lead.
Can you get an autograph for me?
Leo

United States

#33 Jul 11, 2007
BILL wrote:
As a recovering catholic, all I can say is the pope is a truly arrogant a**hole.
But then that's why I'm a recovering catholic.
Without the whole "My god can beat up your god" mentality, there wouldn't be such a ruckus going on in Iraq right now, would there?
There is only one god.
There are many gods.
My god can beat up your god.
There is no god.
Pick one. Believe it. Live it. Just keep it to yourself.
Sure. How about a ruckus over skin color?
How about a ruckus over money?
How about a ruckus over who'll be leader of the pack and get the prettiest girl?

Don't blame religion.(This is how God made us).

It'll speed your recovery.
Leo

United States

#34 Jul 11, 2007
Sheryl wrote:
<quoted text>
Benedict has managed to make millions of people furious twice in a row in a very short time. He wants the prayer returned to Mass which calls for the conversion of the Jews because they're in "darkness"...then the prideful "vicar" publicly states that the Protestant churches aren't true churches at all and can't provide the means to salvation. I have never heard such uncharitable remarks from a pope. He needs a lesson in humility. He has hurt MANY people, but I'ms sure it won't bother him one bit...after all, he's the modern-day Jesus!
Nevermind Jesus. He's a GERMAN.

Did someone else say "backfire"?
Gunslinger

Montgomery, AL

#35 Jul 11, 2007
Leo wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you get an autograph for me?
I can get you a "Pope on a Rope" for the shower, but no autographs.
BILL

Denver, CO

#36 Jul 11, 2007
One step at a time Leo.
We can work on the skin color, money and prettiest girl later.
Leo wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure. How about a ruckus over skin color?
How about a ruckus over money?
How about a ruckus over who'll be leader of the pack and get the prettiest girl?
Don't blame religion.(This is how God made us).
It'll speed your recovery.
keltec 9mm

United States

#37 Jul 11, 2007
Writing in Paradise:
This makes me happy. If christians are busy fighting with each other, maybe they can leave the rest of us alone for a while.

Assuming of course you want to be left alone, which is highly doubtful.
Of your 9000 plus postings I would guess that over fifty percent have been on Christian threads.LOL
Oasthad

United States

#38 Jul 11, 2007
Jesus gave a parable that specifically and clearly adresses this entire issue:

Luke 9
49And John answered and said, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name; and we forbad him, because he followeth not with us.

50And Jesus said unto him, Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us.
BobTheFather

Falls Church, VA

#39 Jul 11, 2007
Valkyrian Ride wrote:
Roman Catholic church the only true church, huh? Well, if the pope knew anything about history, he'd know that, although Martin Luther was German, the biggest followers of the protestent beliefs were the dutch and the english (I am both). And they kicked catholic butt. And if you go to Holland (Netherlands) even today, the catholics are not welcome there. So keep saying thing like that, pope, and we'll kick your a** AGAIN.
Obviously, a rocket scientist!
BobTheFather

Falls Church, VA

#40 Jul 11, 2007
Elizabeth wrote:
The Holy Father's remarks appear to be designed to root out the "cafeteria Catholics." You know the ones I mean... Pick and choose only what you like, not those things with which you disagree. I am a convert to the Roman Caholic Church from Eastern Orthodoxy and I thank God every day that He showed me the Way!

Waipahu, HI

#41 Jul 11, 2007
keltec 9mm wrote:
Assuming of course you want to be left alone, which is highly doubtful.
Of your 9000 plus postings I would guess that over fifty percent have been on Christian threads.LOL
They'd all stop if christians would stop trying to make our country run on biblical law.

“Wait til next year”

Since: Dec 06

Brooklyn NY USA

#42 Jul 11, 2007
Sheryl wrote:
<quoted text>
Elizabeth, I had to leave the church because of its air of superiority, and for many other reasons. Of course Benedict's statement will only hurt the church. He has hurt a LOT of people by saying what he did.
So better he didn't say it?
Chris Canton

AOL

#43 Jul 11, 2007
I hope that the world finally gets a chance to see Catholicism for what it truly is-- a human-led organization that has always been threatened by freedom of conscience. So, if indeed the Pope is infallible, what does this mean? The same institution of the Papcy gave the fgreen light for slavery, claiming that africans had no souls worth saving. Heads of state throughout Europe trembled at the voice of the Pope. One thing I've always wondered, "What does any of this have to do with Jesus?" Absolutely nothing. I still don't understand how people still allow themselves to be guilt-tripped into this sort of self-castigating religion that has no room for victory in Christ, because then the chains would be broken, and the true face of Catholicism would be seen.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Chris Canton

AOL

#44 Jul 11, 2007
Hmm...you know, there's a book called "The Great Controversy" by 19th-century writer Ellen G. White. A friend gave me a copy once some years ago. It's kinda eerie-- a lot of the things that she wrote about in that book regarding the papacy are now starting to happen, especially regarding the Pope's influence througout the world.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Roman Catholic Church Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 33 min Shamma 201,448
Before the Downfall of a Priest, a Fondness for... (Jul '06) 47 min Citizen44 15
Christian leaders call for end to US strikes in... 2 hr rock white 3
Catholic archbishop in Cuba criticizes government 12 hr Devin Blades 2
Sisters Rescuing Women from Sex Trades 14 hr ELIAS IBARRA 14
CBCP: Stop finger pointing (Nov '13) 14 hr ELIAS IBARRA 97
Vatican nuncio criticizes Castro regime in Cuba 15 hr WE JUST DONT CARE 2
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Roman Catholic Church People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••