Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 589576 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

7th Day Catholics Rock

Poplar Bluff, MO

#394467 Oct 7, 2012
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you read His book 'THE PURPOSE DRIVEN LIFE'
Good o hear from YOU. God Bless !!!
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

#394468 Oct 7, 2012
Orville wrote:
<quoted text>
Really?
Iraq, Afgahnistan, our very streets, abortions some 50 million infant fetus's.
Perhaps it is something to reflect upon.
Those wars are not driven by the vatican, they are driven by the american government policies that walks around the planet with a big stick.

Give me a list of ALL the countries in the world the last 200 years that the USA HASN'T invaded, started a war with, or meddled in their affairs?.........can't find many can you?

Give me a list of the countries in the world during the past 200 years that Afghanastan, or Iraq, or Saudi Arabia have invaded, started a war with, or meddled in their affairs? Not many right?

One day some other country will become the world bully and give america a taste of their own medicine.

America has spent TRILLIONS of dollars as being "GOODWILL AMBASADORS" to many countries. The last few years most of that good has eroded away.

The vatican has nothing to do with it........
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#394469 Oct 7, 2012
Orville wrote:
<quoted text>
Clay, I and other's testify that Scripture is from Holy God. The Scriptures state so also. Further, Gods authority, reality, and presence is obvious if embraced through Scripture. He speaks to man through Scripture and if one is truley blessed, HE will also speak to your person in HIS Holy Still voice.
No the scriptures (New Testament anyway) do not state they are from Holy God. Your testimony is not something I would call proof.
If you all are going to trash the Catholic Church and deny historians account of how the Bible came to be....
all I asked is for an alternative scenario! None on ya offer anything that makes sense on how we received the Bible.

Frankly, I'm not sure why you even subscribe to the label the Catholic Church put on those 27 books of the New Testament. You seem to hate everything Catholic, EXCEPT their Bible. This makes no sense. I see why its important for you all to deny the truth of the New Testament. To acknowledge the origins of these books are to acknowledge the validity of the Church that compiled it!
Is it better to be ignorant, that way God won't hold you into account on baring false witness against the Church?
7th Day Catholics Rock

Poplar Bluff, MO

#394470 Oct 7, 2012
MICHAEL wrote:
<quoted text>
Those wars are not driven by the vatican, they are driven by the american government policies that walks around the planet with a big stick.
Give me a list of ALL the countries in the world the last 200 years that the USA HASN'T invaded, started a war with, or meddled in their affairs?.........can't find many can you?
Give me a list of the countries in the world during the past 200 years that Afghanastan, or Iraq, or Saudi Arabia have invaded, started a war with, or meddled in their affairs? Not many right?
One day some other country will become the world bully and give america a taste of their own medicine.
America has spent TRILLIONS of dollars as being "GOODWILL AMBASADORS" to many countries. The last few years most of that good has eroded away.
The vatican has nothing to do with it........
Revelation 13:12

And he exercises all the power of the first beast before him, and causes the earth and them who dwell therein to worship the first beast, whose deadly wound was healed.

----------
Revelation 13:14Because of the signs he was given power to do on behalf of the first beast, he deceived the inhabitants of the earth. He ordered them to set up an image in honor of the beast who was wounded by the sword and yet lived.
----------
Revelation 13:15 He was given power to give breath to the image of the first beast, so that it could speak and cause all who refused to worship the image to be killed.
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#394471 Oct 7, 2012
MICHAEL wrote:
<quoted text>
Face their consiciences......you say! BALONEY!
If people do not like the Roman Catholic church, or organized religion for what ever their reasons they can walk away........like I did and the many thousands who do so every year in america.
The catholic church boasts about being the advocates of morality and justice, yet, they have a very poor history of following those very tenets themselves.
When an organization claims that "THEY ARE RIGHT AND OTHERS ARE NOT"..........get me out of there!.........and many are saying that today.
And you are the poster boy on why people lash out at the Catholic Church!

I'd imagine -for the Michaels of the world - the Church is a thorn in your side. Its a daily reminder of the choice you made to reject God and embrace material things.
Isn't this why you make it your mission to make the Church 'go away' and pull as many Catholics away from it as possible??

Misery loves company, I guess.

"Im not miserable, my life is complete and perfect"

Is it Mike? Then why the daily barrage of anti Catholic material?
Why is it soooo important for you to bring down this Church? Why the obsessive amount of attention? You can't even start your day until you attack this Church??

News flash: The Church is never going away. It will always be there until the end of time. Matthew 28:20

It is the pillar of truth that everyone can see and hear. 1tim 3:15

The gates of hell will never prevail and neither will anyone on this forum - including you mike. Matthew 16:18

We know the Church teaches perfectly on truth because Jesus promised to guide His Church into all truth. John 16 12-13

It is infallibly guided by the Holy Spirit on teachings and morals.

And these teachings are broken by E V E R Y Catholic that ever lived! So don't bother with some meaningless news article from 8 yrs ago about a Priest that was arrested.*shakes head*

on a side note: Lets go Vikings!!:)
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#394472 Oct 7, 2012
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you read His book 'THE PURPOSE DRIVEN LIFE'
I have not. But I will pick it up now that I see he is a man of integrity and principle.
I just learned he and his wife spent time with Mother Theresa in the slums of Calcutta. Interesting.
I also learned he doesn't trash the Catholic Church ( neither does Billy Graham)- much to the dismay of his fellow evangelical preachers.
7th Day Catholics Rock

Poplar Bluff, MO

#394473 Oct 7, 2012
7th Day Catholics Rock wrote:
<quoted text>Not sure why you would think the Rapture is not clear however the rest of you post was interesting.
P.S.

2 Thessalonians 2:8

And then shall that Wicked One be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the breath of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:

Job 4:9At the breath of God they are destroyed; at the blast of his anger they perish.
----------
Isaiah 11:4but with righteousness he will judge the needy, with justice he will give decisions for the poor of the earth. He will strike the earth with the rod of his mouth; with the breath of his lips he will slay the wicked.
----------
Isaiah 30:28His breath is like a rushing torrent, rising up to the neck. He shakes the nations in the sieve of destruction; he places in the jaws of the peoples a bit that leads them astray.

----------
Matthew 16:27For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father's glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what he has done.

----------
2 Thessalonians 2:3Don't let anyone deceive you in any way, for [that day will not come] until the rebellion occurs and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the man doomed to destruction.
----------
1 Timothy 6:14to keep this command without spot or blame until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ,
----------
2 Timothy 1:10but it has now been revealed through the appearing of our Savior, Christ Jesus, who has destroyed death and has brought life and immortality to light through the gospel.
----------
2 Timothy 4:1In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I give you this charge:
----------
2 Timothy 4:8Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day--and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.
----------
Titus 2:13while we wait for the blessed hope--the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ,

Does it sound like the world goes on after the 3.5 years of tribulation. NO

Then after the Thousand Years the rest if the dead are raised unto the final judgement.

Since: Nov 08

usa

#394474 Oct 7, 2012
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
I have read and been inundated by your ongoing anti-catholic (slanted - bias) and "dishonest answers"!.... That is why I am "enlightening you with TRUE, AUTHENTICATED, PROVEN, CONFIRMED and VERIFIABLE----------"hone st answers"------!!
honest answers from a biased website? how do you figure that?

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#394475 Oct 7, 2012
7th Day Catholics Rock wrote:
<quoted text>Can't argue with that. Im some cases it was a messenger of the Lord such as Gabriel.
Hebrews 10:31
King James Version (KJV)
31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.
Yes it could leave one weak in body as well.
Greetings 7thDR good friend...

Nicely put....

:)

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#394476 Oct 7, 2012
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
Great post, Oxbow.
His heavenly preexistence would imply that he was "fully formed" and therefore, did not need any genetic input from Mary. He did not need the 'human' genome (1/2 of his genetic makeup) from Mary.
She was his earthly mother, yes. But she was NOT the Mother of God.
She was God's handmaiden...and said so: For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden: for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.

Location hidden

#394477 Oct 7, 2012
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
Why are you afraid of reading Revelation
Rev 1:1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:
Rev 1:2 Who bare record of the word of God, and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things that he saw.
Rev 1:3 Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.
___
According to the Old testament Moses has already died...
--->the appointment of man is to die once.
___
Heb_9:27 And as --->it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
Deu 34:4 And the LORD said unto him, This is the land which I sware unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, saying, I will give it unto thy seed: I have caused thee to see it with thine eyes, but thou shalt not go over thither.
READ ABOUT IT IN
Deu 34:5 So Moses the servant of the LORD died there in the land of Moab, according to the word of the LORD.
Deu 34:6 And he buried him in a valley in the land of Moab, over against Bethpeor: but no man knoweth of his sepulchre unto this day.
Deu 34:7 And Moses was an hundred and twenty years old when he died: his eye was not dim, nor his natural force abated.
Deu 34:8 And the children of Israel wept for Moses in the plains of Moab thirty days: so the days of weeping and mourning for Moses were ended.
Greetings confirnting good friend

As concernig the two witnesses in the Book of the Apocolypse, I don't thnk there is much the book tells about them....I just used Moses ande Elijah as an example because they were seen with Jesus, on the top of the Mt. of Transfiguration, by some of the disciples....

As for the "Revelation". Having been a Protestant, I know the tide goes in and out, as to what is happening nowadays, and in the past(to some degree). And I think that people's minds are easily swayed and inventive when it comes to putting experiences and observations into this book....I fell into it, just a bit, when good ole Hal Lindsey's book, "The Late Great Planet Earth", came out, but then the 70's rolled by, then the 80s, 90s..., and still he just kept revising his time schedule....

And that is the point, that the time is "short". And it will continue to remain "short" to whomever wishes to use this book in any other way than apocolytic in nature, and a description of heaven and earth in turmoil with good and evil....

Using numbers and names in the "Revelation" one can keep on inventing scenarios....
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

#394478 Oct 7, 2012
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd imagine -for the Michaels of the world - the Church is a thorn in your side. Its a daily reminder of the choice you made to reject God and embrace material things.
Isn't this why you make it your mission to make the Church 'go away' and pull as many Catholics away from it as possible??
Why is it soooo important for you to bring down this Church? Why the obsessive amount of attention? You can't even start your day until you attack this Church??
News flash: The Church is never going away. It will always be there until the end of time. Matthew 28:20
The gates of hell will never prevail and neither will anyone on this forum - including you mike. Matthew 16:18
We know the Church teaches perfectly on truth because Jesus promised to guide His Church into all truth. John 16 12-13
And these teachings are broken by E V E R Y Catholic that ever lived! So don't bother with some meaningless news article from 8 yrs ago about a Priest that was arrested.*shakes head*
Wrong again! How many times is that now you have been wrong?

My life is full and happy. I am a religious pundit.

Have you ever made negative judgemental statements about you're mayor? Sure you have. You're congressman? of course you have. the president of the united states? Half of america does. You're employer? Sure!

Why upset so much when someone disagrees with the roman catholic church?

Most of what I post is CURRENT EVENTS going on regarding the church.

I have said before the abuse scandals are the biggest news story in the roman catholic church in centuries and most catholics instead of asking what has gone wrong and why, you just get defensive to anyone who discusses it. THATS NOT RIGHT!

You need to relax, take a deep breath, and learn that the world doesn't always agree with you. No need to get upset and defensive all the time.

You're friend Michael.....

Location hidden

#394479 Oct 7, 2012
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
Great post, Oxbow.
His heavenly preexistence would imply that he was "fully formed" and therefore, did not need any genetic input from Mary. He did not need the 'human' genome (1/2 of his genetic makeup) from Mary.
She was his earthly mother, yes. But she was NOT the Mother of God.
Greetings guest good friend....,

John 1:1 is the Word of God, the Logos, not the human part of Jesus Christ....To think Jesus Christ was walking around the Garden of Eden, or with the prophets as a man, as after he was was born of Mary....All too confused....

Again you take out the humanity of Jesus if you take out Mary. And if you take out Jesus' humanity, he could not any salvific aspect to his death and resurrection in which his believers(John 1:11) share in....

So to believe Jesus after his birth from Mary is the incarnate Word of God means Jesus(the Word) became flesh(John 1:14)....

Take your time and read John Chapter 1 slowly, and try not to connect up that Jesus was a man before he was born of Mary to it, and things will clear up a little better for you....
hojo

Chanhassen, MN

#394480 Oct 7, 2012
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>honest answers from a biased website? how do you figure that?
Because these websites are the ONLY ONES that provide over 2000 years of PROVEN historical and biblical TRUTH, that has been etablished and confirmed over and over and over again as "factual"
while your anti-catholic "hack history writer" sources, just "invent and make-up" their own "personal (distorted history) opinions that are "laced" with twisted and unsubstantiated (so-called) history (which isn't true history at all)!!
7th Day Catholics Rock

Poplar Bluff, MO

#394481 Oct 7, 2012
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
Greetings guest good friend....,
John 1:1 is the Word of God, the Logos, not the human part of Jesus Christ....To think Jesus Christ was walking around the Garden of Eden, or with the prophets as a man, as after he was was born of Mary....All too confused....
Again you take out the humanity of Jesus if you take out Mary. And if you take out Jesus' humanity, he could not any salvific aspect to his death and resurrection in which his believers(John 1:11) share in....
So to believe Jesus after his birth from Mary is the incarnate Word of God means Jesus(the Word) became flesh(John 1:14)....
Take your time and read John Chapter 1 slowly, and try not to connect up that Jesus was a man before he was born of Mary to it, and things will clear up a little better for you....
Genesis 3:8

And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God among the trees of the garden.

Adam and Eve was doing the walking I take it...lol

10And he said, I heard your voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself.

----------
Leviticus 26:12I will walk among you and be your God, and you will be my people.

Deuteronomy 23:14For the LORD your God moves about in your camp to protect you and to deliver your enemies to you. Your camp must be holy, so that he will not see among you anything indecent and turn away from you.

Jesus walked on the water and this I know is true. I think Rober might like to do a little walking to. ;-)

I take it the Lord was a Spirit without a body prepared fpr him yet.

Hebrews 10:5

Therefore when he comes into the world, he says, Sacrifice and offering you desired not, but a body have you prepared me:

Hebrews 1:6And again, when God brings his firstborn into the world, he says, "Let all God's angels worship him."
----------
Hebrews 2:14Since the children have flesh and blood, he too shared in their humanity so that by his death he might destroy him who holds the power of death--that is, the devil--
hojo

Chanhassen, MN

#394482 Oct 7, 2012
jethro8 wrote:
sentence from hojo post no.393922:Christ left the adoption of a name for His Church to those whom he commissioned to teach all nations.
The Bible is God's Holy Word and it tells us that the institution of the "ekklesia" meaning local church was established by Christ Himself.(Matt. 16:18) He did not leave the matter of establishing His church to human wisdom nor did He leave us in the dark about what the church should be. He left His Word and complete a
Christ commissioned His Apostles "to teach all nations" "teaching them to observe ALL things that I (Jesus) have commanded you" first by establishing, forming and commissioning Matt 16:13-21 His Church (ecclesia) a heirarchical, visible, authoritative Church beginning in (Acts 2) Christs 1st Church at Antioch (with Bishops, priests, elder and deacons (Acts 2). This is the "same visible Church" that is mentioned over 30 times in the New Testament.This is the "same visible, heirarchical Church" that Paul (explicity) writes to ALL of the other Churches, at Ephesis, Thessalonica, Corinth, Galatia, Philippi, Colossius, etc.. NO WHERE in the Bible did Jesus "every say" He was leaving His Apostles, disciples and followers "the bible"---BUT----what Jesus "did say" is that He was leaving His disciples HIS CHURCH-- again--established, formed and inititated by His Apostles.--Paul "clearly and specifically" tells us in I Timothy 3:15, that "the Church (the House of God) is the pinnacle, pillar and foundation of the TRUTH" ---Jesus, Paul, Peter, James, John, Matthew, Mark (NO ONE) "ever said" ANYTHING about the Bible.-------We as Catholics,(who read, follow, listen to, and adhere to Gods word" ALL believe that the Bible is the inspired Word of God----HOWEVER---NO WHERE in the bible does it say that God chose to transmit His inspired and sacred words ONLY in the Bible!! THE CHURCH CAME FIRST!! Over 350 before the bible (Canon of Scripture) was even formulated, written and put together, from the writing, documents, and letters from the Apostles--- by the Early Church Fathers in 382, 393 and 397AD. Your Protestant "bible only (made-up) doctrine of belief has ABSOLUTELY--"No basis" of biblical or Historical truth to back up ANY of your "personal opinionated" anti-catholic, "half-truth, half-heresy" Christian beliefs. IT IS ALL CONCOCOTED AND INVENTED MYTH with no basis of truth!!
hojo

Chanhassen, MN

#394483 Oct 7, 2012
jethro8 wrote:
your sentence HOJO only holds water with the catholic church not with god or jesus.it is not the true church,the bible clearly states that.the early church fathers errored,they chose the wrong books to put in the bible to make it look like the c.c. is gods church,in essence following any organized group is not needed to enter heaven,all you need is a bible to learn gods word,follow those words, and pray to him ONLY and you are in his good graces,there is no need to pay to hear half truths from unholy organized groups,not one group but all groups.if the one god theory is true,you only need to have faith in the holy father,not a church made up of unbiblical traditions.....these statements come from scholars who have studied religion of all denominations for many years,and are collective statements on which they all agree upon by studying all scripture in the bible along with books left out of the bible,and all traditions of every religious group now and of past centuries.IT ALL BOILS DOWN TO ONE SIMPLE FACT,NO ONE RELIGIOUS GROUP CAN LAY CLAIM TO BEING GODS TRUE RELIGION,THERE IS NO STATEMENT MADE BY JESUS OR GOD THAT ANY RELIGION CAN USE TO MAKE SUCH A CLAIM.IF THERE IS,SHOW IT TO ME.BEING FALLIBLE I COULD OF OVERLOOKED SOMETHING,UNTIL THEN, ORGANIZED RELIGION IS A SIMPLY A CREATION OF MANS AND NOT JESUS' OR GODS.
You Jethro8 can say and believe "anything that you want"! You can choose to accept ANY or ALL of the other 41,998+ Protestant bible only contradicting, inconsistent, and conflicting "distorted (anti-catholic) personal opinioned beliefs (since the Reformation) that "satisfy" your aversion and discontentment against the TRUTH of Jesus Christ and His One (and Only) TRUE Apostolic Catholic Church!! IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE TO ME!! I lived this Protestant (bible only) twisting and distorting of the Truth for over 35 years before coming the FULLNESS of the Faith and the FULLNESS of the Truth in Jesus Christ and His One True Catholic Church. We as Catholics (know without a doubt) that we have the historical and biblical TRUTH. There is nothing to discuss, nothing to debate, nothing to argue over! TRUTH REMAINS TRUTH and it is in Jesus Christ and His visible, heirarchical and authoritatie Catholic Church. YOU (my friend) CAN DO AND BELIEVE WHAT YOU WANT!!
hojo

Chanhassen, MN

#394484 Oct 7, 2012
Orville wrote:
<quoted text>
Hojo, I posted the revelant Scripture to your question. It is easy Scripture. You either accept Scripture as truth or not.
Know, you can challenge the Scripture if you know it well enough.
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work”(2 Timothy 3:15-
Orville--your answer is just more of the same "bible only (spin, twisting and distortion of truth" that you are so "famous for"
It says "ALL SCRIPTURE" which is referring to (in the bible). It does NOT say that God chose to transmit his infallible inspire words ONLY IN THE BIBLE.----NOR does it say that every word, every phrase, every sentence MUST BE IN THE BIBLE--IN ORDER FOR IT TO BE TRUE (as you Protestants claim)---NOR does it say that the bible "is the ONLY source of Truth (again- as you Protestants claim)---
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

#394485 Oct 7, 2012
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Read what the Bishop of Albany New York said recently about the catholic church.

Pretty much what I have been saying....

http://ncronline.org/blogs/essays-theology/bi...
7th Day Catholics Rock

Poplar Bluff, MO

#394486 Oct 7, 2012
One or Three Persons in God ?
Jesus Prayed to the Father - John 17:1-26 (Matthew 26:39; John 11:41)
Jesus lifted His eyes to Heaven and prayed to the Father (v1). He said, "I have glorified Thee … I have finished the work Thou gavest Me to do" (v4). I and Thee = plural individuals. But if the Father and Son are the same individual, then Jesus prayed to Himself!
Jesus Was WITH the Father before the World Began - John 1:1-3,14; 17:5,24
The "Word" (1:1) is the only begotten Son of the Father (1:14,18). He was in the beginning withGod and wasGod (v1). He (Jesus) said "Father, glorify Thou Me with Thine own self with the glory I had with Thee before the world was" (17:5). Further, the Father loved the Son before the foundation of the world (17:24).
Even before Jesus had a fleshly body on earth, there was a Father (thou or thee) who was His own self - one individual. Sharing glory with Him was Me or I (Jesus)- a second individual who was with the Father and was loved by the Father before the world began.
Thou and Me implies separate individuals. The Father was His own self, but Jesus was with Him. All this was before there ever was any fleshly body. Was Jesus with Himself before the world began? Did He love Himself and share glory with Himself??
All Three Were Present at Jesus' Baptism - Luke 3:21,22
Jesus was on earth, having been baptized, and He was praying. The Holy Spirit descended in a bodily form like a dove (this does not say the Spirit is a dove, but at that time took a bodily form like a dove). A voice from heaven said, "Thou art My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased."
This voice was clearly the Heavenly Father because He said Jesus was His Son. A similar thing happened at the transfiguration (Matt. 17:5), and Peter said the voice was God the Father who spoke (2 Pet. 1:16-18). The voice of God comes from God and demonstrates His presence (Gen. 3:8). The very words spoken prove the speaker is not Jesus, because Thou and I refer to separate individuals. And a son cannot be the same person as his father.
So in this story all 3 are present and are presented as being 3 separate individuals.
The Father and Son Sent the Holy Spirit - John 14:16,26; 15:26; 16:7,13-15
When Jesus left the earth, He requested that the Father send the Holy Spirit to guide the apostles, remind them of Jesus' teachings, etc. These verses distinguish all three as separate individuals.
The pronouns used distinguish individuals - I and He, etc. The language implies these are different individuals, just as surely as Jesus meant He and the apostles were different individuals when He referred to them as I and You.
The Father and Son acted together in sending the Spirit (i.e., the Son requested the Father to do it and He did do it - 14:16,26; 15:26; 16:7). As when Jesus sent His disciples and when the Father sent the Son, so the language implies individuals sending another individual, not themselves (cf. notes on John 17:18; 20:20,21). Jesus did not send Himself and the Father did not send Himself. The Holy Spirit was a separate individual.
The Holy Spirit would be another comforter (Greek for another is ALLOS meaning another one of the same sort). Jesus had been a source of strength & comfort, an advocate on behalf of the disciples. Now He was leaving, but did not want the disciples left alone. So He sent another comforter who would teach the disciples and remind them of Jesus' teaching (14:26; 16:13-15). If the Spirit is the same person as Jesus, then Jesus did not send another comforter, but the same one.
The Holy Spirit would not speak from Himself (His own initiative), but would speak what the Father and Son provided for Him to declare (16:13-15). This distinguishes both the Father and Son from the Spirit - they must be different "selves." If the Father or the Son are the same "self" as the Spirit, then He would be speaking from Himself.
http://www.gospelway.com/god/persons_godhead....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Roman Catholic Church Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Church reels after Ireland's huge 'Yes' to gay ... 44 min Rainbow Kid 1
News Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 1 hr Greatest Pope Ever 220,023
News Anti-Catholic Salon Cheers Church's Decline as ... 2 hr nOgOd 3
News 'Bold' Ireland votes to legalize gay marriage i... 10 hr Nanang Gule 1
News Posters for and against same-sex marriage are seen 15 hr Xstain Mullah Aroma 17
News St. Peter's overflows for historic day of 4 popes (Apr '14) 15 hr pazuzu 61
News Yes or no? Ireland votes on whether to legalize... 18 hr NorCal Native 10
More from around the web